Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Roll call for scribes attending Gencon 2007.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  14:30:48  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I thought it appropriate to start a list of those of us attending Gencon this year in Indy. I will be there on Saturday, 8/18 for Ed's Spin a Yarn and would like the opportunity to meet my fellow scribes. If you will be attending please post here.

I hope I have placed this thread on the correct shelf, if not please move to the appropriate shelf.

Thanks

Mod Edit: Removed the sticky.

Edited by - The Sage on 21 Aug 2007 06:42:56

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  16:36:31  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

I will again be going this year. I have actually not attended the Spin-a-yarns previously - but I may just check it out this year.

It takes Sooo long to get through the dealers room!! I think last year it took me 2 days to make it all the way through....

Dhomal

p.s. - if people are interested - I think I still have the badges I made for last year that basically never got used...

we could also think of a specific spot to meet at some point - although that went over just a little bit better than a real Lead Balloon would....

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  16:42:29  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a first time Genconer, so while my hopes in starting this thread were that we might all stop and say hi and chat a bit, I have no idea where to suggest meeting up at. The badges sound great.
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  16:51:29  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

Well - Here is an interesting idea!

When is the earliest Realms-ish seminar - Spin a Yarn, or Secrets etc... we could try and meet there - just before or just after the event... might be a better way to set it up. Last year - we set a time and a place - but the place was terribly crowded... And while I did meet Eytan there alsong with a couple other of his asociates - nobody else from Candlekeep....

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  18:35:46  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will almost definitely be there. I'm still waiting on a job possitibility.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  18:35:57  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I may butt in, I would say it would be easier to meet at one of the hotels instead of the Con Center. The Hyatt could work better, especially if you meet at the large stone sign that is outside the Hyatt. Pick a time and try to meet at the sign at that time. I said the Hyatt because it's right across the street from the Con Center.

Just my opinion though.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  18:57:49  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mods. Can we geta sticky on this thread until the time of usefullness has past please?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  19:29:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn

Mods. Can we geta sticky on this thread until the time of usefullness has past please?

Done.

I wish I was going to be in attendance... But as I said later, saving money is not a strong suit of mine, and I need to replace my car, Lurch, while it's still capable of getting me from point A to point B (because getting to where I earn said money is a good thing).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 17 Jul 2007 19:29:31
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11711 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  21:58:08  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am so close to going. My wife wanted to go to Sony's FanFaire convention in Vegas, and two of her guildies that are good friends are getting hitched, so we're going to that. Depends on how much money I blow there, but I'm really trying to figure out a way to do both.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  22:19:20  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I shall be in attendance--running a Realms game in collaboration with Eytan, actually!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  00:45:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First Steven, and now you Erik... you're both making it harder for me to accept the reality that I won't be attending Gen-Con this year. I really should've done more to try and clear things up here, I think, and make the effort to head over to the US.

Anyways, if it's at all possible, I wouldn''t mind a few pictures and some stories from any of the attendees to this year's Gen-Con...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  01:18:21  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will be attending Gen Con this year and look forward to meeting all of you.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  12:24:57  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be there. The wide-eyed guy, giddy with excitement.

I note that there is a couple of hours gap between the Spin a Yarn seminar and the Secrets of the Sages seminar on the Saturday - maybe we should all hook up at the Spin a Yarn ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  20:09:28  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Barring some catastrophic loss of funds or brain function, I'll be there as well.
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  20:24:59  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*cough*

What is Gencon please ? a physical concentration of players in States ?

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11711 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  20:45:54  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back when TSR made Dungeons & Dragons, it was their main roleplaying convention. When others took over, the tradition continued.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  20:54:00  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
all right. Thanks a lot Sleyvas.

I wont go there (it's too far from France !) but does it exist a website about it ?

Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  20:56:29  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

all right. Thanks a lot Sleyvas.

I wont go there (it's too far from France !) but does it exist a website about it ?

Well met

There certainly is a site, Fillow - http://www.gencon.com/

Aye, indeed it would be a fair journey to thee, but there's always GENCON UK - http://www.consupport.com/index.asp?Con=61

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  21:05:00  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

there's always GENCON UK - http://www.consupport.com/index.asp?Con=61

Really ? Good thing !
Thanks a lot once again ! (is this a correct sentence "once again" ?)

In France we have a lot of small conventions, roleplaying-week-ends,... but the only one real concentration is not only about D&D or Roleplaying.
It's a "generalist" one, with all games (from 0 to 90 years old), cards, mangas, "video-games", comics,...

La brute.com

Edited by - Fillow on 18 Jul 2007 21:08:21
Go to Top of Page

EvilKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2007 :  04:12:45  Show Profile  Visit EvilKnight's Homepage Send EvilKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will be there Saturday only with my 3 yr old in tow for his second GenCon.

EvilKnight

Danali Index
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2007 :  16:37:20  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to drop a link in here to one of my events at GenCon, the planning of which I'm opening for other ideas. The event? Cliche Night--a romp through fantasy's best (and worst) cliches.

I'd appreciate input and ideas from anyone who's interested!

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9630

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2007 :  18:54:26  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shame on me.

I've just learned that we do have Gencon in France ! it takes place on spring !
Sorry to have told bullsh*ts ! Excuse me so very much.

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2007 :  01:31:10  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So has there been any consensus on when and where a get together for Candlekeep might be?

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2007 :  15:52:05  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I’m inclined agree with George. We could meet after “Spin a Yarn with Ed Greenwood” (Saturday, Noon to 1pm) then all go grab a bite to eat for lunch.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2007 :  16:11:10  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All I can say about that is good luck trying to find everyone then, we sure and the hells couldn't find anyone last year because of the hundred+ that goes to that seminar. :) Or because of the thousands that go in and out of the con center. I got lucky last year and finally managed to find someone but the rest of who we were to meet, we never found anyone except for Eric because the person I did manage to meet pointed him out to me.

Well, I found Ed because I knew what he looked like. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 28 Jul 2007 20:27:07
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2007 :  20:12:52  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'll be the guy with the Australian accent. No doubt I'll get to say/ask something during the seminar. Other noticeable features will be a distinct lack of hair, jetlagged appearance and a wierd, "golly, I can't believe I'm really here!" expression.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2007 :  20:45:18  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

I’m inclined agree with George. We could meet after “Spin a Yarn with Ed Greenwood” (Saturday, Noon to 1pm) then all go grab a bite to eat for lunch.

This sounds okay to me
Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2007 :  00:38:59  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be at Gencon this year as well.

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2007 :  23:21:11  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be there, though I'll skip the meet n' greet out of a firm desire to prevent any Kill On Sight urges people might have upon learning I'm in close proximity.

;)

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2007 :  04:34:44  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sanishiver

I'll be there, though I'll skip the meet n' greet out of a firm desire to prevent any Kill On Sight urges people might have upon learning I'm in close proximity.

;)

Oh that's unfortunate Sanishiver. I'd look forward to "chatting Realms" with you.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2007 :  06:30:47  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greatings…

I would suspect that this issue have been up. Caps and t-shirts with candle keep logo

This way everybody knows who are candle keep members.

Cap with logo 19 Danish kr. / 2.7€
T-shirt with logo 39 Danish kr. 5.5€

Cap
http://www.tekstiltrykkeriet.dk/product_info.php?cap_davis_nw_24035-b&products_id=1005&osCsid=b63cf3178c959964371b66f838ab98cf

T-shirt
http://www.tekstiltrykkeriet.dk/product_info.php?t-shirt_new_wave_elko_nw_10005&products_id=1081

If my boos gives me some extra holidays ill see you all at the gen con.

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 30 Jul 2007 06:32:56
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic