Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 GEN-CON Report 2007

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
George Krashos Posted - 19 Aug 2007 : 23:53:57
Hey everybody. This report comes to you due to the generosity of Jeff Thetford and the computer assistance of Brian Cortijo (Garen Thal) with the supervision of Eytan Bernstein. Basically, they are all here as I post this.

Firstly, this was my first GEN-CON (but not my last) and was an absolute blast. Getting to meet Ed, Steven, Eric, the guys mentioned above and a host of others, was a dream come true.

On my first day I caught up with Steven, Eric, Jeff and Eytan for breakfast. At the CON shortly after I got to meet Ed and Brian almos immediately. Ed being the great guy he is had presents for me: photocopies of his original material including maps - can anyone say "Haunted Halls"? Things to be treasured.

Given that you guys are interested in matters Realmsish I won't regale you with further information save about the two FR seminars that were held.

The first of these was "Spin a Yarn" which was what I would describe as an "interesting experience". I'll be truthful and say that as a series of more and more ribald and inane suggestions flowed from the gathering I found it to be something of what I can best describe as a loss of opportunity. It goes without saying that the "Spin a Yarn" tales are a lot of fun and Ed does "fun" better than most, but I kept thinking that here we had a situation where we can get Ed to write a story on a topic of our choosing, and the topic of our choosing is "codpieces of doom", "flatulent dragons" and "halfling plumbers". I was thinking that we could get another story on Larloch, Hesperdan, the Lost Crown of Nuvorene - things of substance - and we were letting it go begging. I'm sure that there are many fans who do enjoy this format and what comes out of it but I was more than a little disappointed.

The "Secrets of the Realms" seminar was very interesting given the announcement of 4E. Firstly, in relation to upcoming products, the following was said:

GRAND HISTORY
- The timeline provided would stretch beyond the "current date";
- There will be new dates provided ove and above what was in the PDF GHotR;
- The prose "vignettes" that feature will be 'point-of-view' excerpts that put the reader 'in' that historical timeline event that is being showcased or give them a look at that event from the POV of an observer;

ANAUROCH
- Not much said but the plot has its origins in a "ruined city now reclaimed and a great magical treasure that the 'bad guys' shouldn't get".

SWORDS of DRAGONFIRE
- Ed describes it as his 'best balanced' novel that he's written for WotC;
- The KoMD won't actually get to Shadowdale by the end of the trilogy but this book and the next ("The Sword Never Sleeps") are a fantastic aid to any Cormyr campaign. Several of the movers and shakers of the Zhentarim are featured and Hesperdan play a role also;

ANNOTATED ELMINSTER
- Many extra bits with long essays nd also some of Ed's own personal artwork;

FRCS (4E)
- Will be available at GEN-CON 2008 and we will be seeing some "pretty significant changes";

Also mentioned were two further unnamed FR 4E products highlighting races and classes in the Realms and a major 4E adventure respectively.

SWORDMAGE
- A HD novel by Rich Baker which is the first of a trilogy in the 4E Realms. It's set in Hulburg in the Moonsea and has a smaller focus and isn't associated with any RSE;

READER'S GUIDE TO RA SALVATORE'S LEGENDS OF DRIZZT
- Coffee table book (like a Marvel encyclopedia) with descriptions the world, characters and art.

After the products the floor was open to questions and answers. These were as follows:

Q. Will there be a map or gazette?
A. Further map products will be associated with the 4E FRCS. The focus will be on Faerun. The rest of the Realms can be explored in the DI. The are also considering an official FR Wikipedia. Chris Perkins of WotC said that he would love a globe of Toril (which was met with cheers from the fans) but that this was unlikely.

Q. Is there anything happening to Mystra or the Weave?
A. The 2E to 3E change was one done on a retconning basis (i.e. "it was always like that") - they've decided that the 3E to 4E change wll be more in line with th 1E to 2E change. An in-game story/explanation will showcase the rule changes. As to what this explanation will be, it will be a catastrophe called the "Spellplague". It was noted that 'Expedition to Undermountain' and what happened to Halaster was a foreshadowing of this event - Halaster was trying to do something about it, but failed - badly. It was also noted that something akin to this "catastrophe" had happened before and had been mentioned in the 1E FR boxed set.

Q. Real time ad Reams time. Will the progression be faster, slower or the same?
A. Going forward, the current tme progression will still remain true. The Spellplagu will occur in the Year of Blue Fire (1385 DR).

Q. Will there be a poster map in 4E?
A. Yes there will be a poster in the 4E FRCS and in future adventures. The DI will have tactical maps, town maps etc.

Q. Will we get the real map of the Yawning Portal?
A. Chris Perkins was going to look into it - likely would be avalable on the DI.

Q. Will WotC publish regional/general books or adventures?
A. The adventure focus lately in the schedule was because of 4E. There is no regional or theme book on the 2008 schedule because of 4E. The 4E FRCS will handle the need for regional/theme books in 2008. In the transition, the DDI is happy to support articles along those lines (and they invite suggestions and submissions). Every two weeks there will be a column on the DI called "Realmslore" which will be game mechanics free till the release of 4E (i.e. 'pure' realmslore) and will initially feature various small, geographic locations throughout the Realms. Suggestions re locations are sought also.

Q. Will there be more Volo's Guides?
A. Not likely to see printed products of this nature. Volo's style articles could be done for the DI and Ed was keen to do so.

Q. Will there be 4E changes or races that will be class specific?
A. WotC's view is that the Realms benefits where the core mechanics and the FR mechanics are consistent with each othe and not divergent For example, subraces in the Realms will be a cultural difference rather than a game mechanics difference. There might be FR specific racial feats.

Q. Will there still be a regional focus for PCs in FR?
A. The regions will not be constraining as they were in 3E and will again be background, story flavour, not game mechanics.

Q. Will the 4E game mechanics gel with the novel characters?
A. The 4E ranger will have two weapon fighting because they know who the most popular ranger is in the Realms! The adical novel exploits of some characters will be dealt with in terms of character classes being able to do something like a "heroic exploit".

Q. How will long-running campaigns be suited to the 3E to 4E changeover? Will those campaigns be able to continue with just the new game mechanics?
A. People will be best suited to ending their campaign and starting anew.

Q. Things like spellwebs, mythals, mantles and High Magic in 3E are not true the lore. Will 4E be better?
A. Yes and no. Some tools will help and one of them will relate to "unique magics" - in circumstances where one off magics are needed. They don't want to ramp up abilties for wizards to the detriment of the other classes.

Q. Will the Spellplague affect the ability for campaigns to be set earlier in the timeline?
A. You have the option to introduce the effects of the Spellplague earlier.

Q. Will some of the 'staple NPCs' of the Realms be replaced in the 4E transition?
A. Yes, because the Realms is a living world. There will be a changing of the guard but Drizzt and Elminster will still be around.

Q. The Spellplague or the ToT - which is the worse RSE?
A. The Spellplague can be seen as related to the ToT and something of a ripple effect. Not worse or better, just different - but Waterdeep won't be sinking anytime soon. However, some places will get "played with".

Q. Will he next bunch of novels be set in the 4E Realms?
A. Depends on the writer. Swordmage will be. Other novels, like Ed's latest trilogy, will be set in the past. Eventually further novels will be taking place on the edge of the 4E timeline.

Q. Indexes in sourcebooks?
A. Tension between content and index. Indexes can go in and they can now put the content out with the DI.

Q. Will there be an effort to have rules and game mechanics that are grounded in realmslore?
A. WotC's question in response is if something is so great that it needs rules of its own, why isn't that in the core products? They dislike having differentiation between FR and the core as this inhibits crossover gaming. Keep in mind that the Realms is a campaign setting and not a ruleset in its own right. Is something like a mythal a game mechanic or a story element?

Q. Will there be adventures in 4E?
A. Yes. They've realised that not all DMs have the time to do their own.

Q. Lore v crunch - what will be the balance?
A. Ratio is going to change. Focus in 3E has been on mechanical elements. Now they want to write and present story elements, new flavour and adventure/realmslore hooks.

Q. Will there be a novel series to explain the Spellplague?
A. Not really. The Spellplague is a realms-wide event and story elements in relation t it will be featured in many products and the DI.

Q. Will there be changes in how magic items are dealt with in 4E?
A. The 3E system will be abandoned in 4E. The new system is more intuitive and less mathematical.

Other matters discussed were as follows:

- There will be FR adventure support in the DI both now and when 4E arrives.

- A suggestion re a short story anthology regarding the effects of the Spellplague was thought to be a good idea.

- As to Ed's Teziir "Cities of the Realms" articl - they are currently in "talks" e featuring this in the DI.

- A focus on the less-visited parts of the Realms will be addressed by the DI. The 4E FRCS will have new material and there will be a focus on the "forgotten" in Forgotten Realms.

Well, that was it for the FR events. The seminar was somewhat shellshocked by the 4E announcement and seemed to focus on the transition changes but there was much information provided.

I recommend to anyone who can go to one of these that they should do so. It was a blast.

-- George Krashos
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 28 Aug 2007 : 23:41:35
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Mutters about short memories since I reported what went on last year when I got back to the hotel.... Guess people forgot that. Ah well....

I too remember it, albeit vaguely (though I only paid more attention this year because of the "major announcements").
JEThetford Posted - 28 Aug 2007 : 01:17:11
I shall endeavor to remember to bring my spy recorder and slip into Ed's pants before the.... well, maybe on the table whilst the speaker makes his announcements.

Damn, another secret given away...

Aaomas Balkrim aka Jeff Thetford
initiate Posted - 27 Aug 2007 : 17:37:00
Aye, Kuje, I remember your excellent report as well. As someone who wasn't there, [wasn't even registered here yet, for that matter], and may well never get the chance to go to Gen Con, I really appreciated it.

Skeptic Posted - 27 Aug 2007 : 17:04:20
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Mutters about short memories since I reported what went on last year when I got back to the hotel.... Guess people forgot that. Ah well....

I remember your report
Kuje Posted - 27 Aug 2007 : 16:35:35
Reefy Posted - 27 Aug 2007 : 15:49:13
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

So for future scribes, I expect nothing less in the years to come!

-- George Krashos

I'm sure any scribes lucky enough to attend will have no problems with relaying the information they pick up back to those of us stuck across the oceans.
George Krashos Posted - 27 Aug 2007 : 15:37:52
Not so much old as a long way away.

I would love to get to GEN-CON every 3-4 years, if only to spend time with the people I had the good fortune to meet this year, and anyone else who is around.

But Eytan is right (and he was with me when I typed out my GEN-CON report, and delayed his dinner in doing so!) in that my report was intended for all those fans who don't get to GEN-CON and like me in previous years, yearned for an in depth recitation of what went on and what was said at the seminars.

So for future scribes, I expect nothing less in the years to come!

-- George Krashos
Asgetrion Posted - 26 Aug 2007 : 21:21:47
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

This is dedication folks. Hopefully, we can make sure that someone does the same for him when in the years he can't make it to the Con.

Is George already that old?
Pasta Fzoul Posted - 26 Aug 2007 : 03:36:55
quote:
Originally posted by coach

"I've got 99 problems, but a lich ain't one." -King Gareth Dragonsbane of Damara ....

Pasta where did you get that line for your sig from?

Not to pull this thread further off topic than I already have (), but I made up that quote by "Realmsifying" the refrain of a hip-hop song by rapper Jay-Z
coach Posted - 26 Aug 2007 : 03:04:06
yes it was about him finding a cure for cancer only to ...

well i won't spoil it, go rent it, it is a good movie
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 26 Aug 2007 : 00:47:03
Medicine Man is that movie related with the Amazonian forest,right?
coach Posted - 26 Aug 2007 : 00:44:54
"I've got 99 problems, but a lich ain't one." -King Gareth Dragonsbane of Damara ....

Pasta where did you get that line for your sig from?
Pasta Fzoul Posted - 25 Aug 2007 : 23:35:05
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

You know, while I'm not sure of anything at this point, it is interesting to note that (Spoilers for Expedition to Undermountain): Expeidition to UnderMountain mentions a living spell habitat that Halaster established and that Halaster was working to avert some disaster, which has been hinted at being tied into the Spellplague . . . hm

Like Sean Connery in Medicine Man... Halaster - thaumaturgic epidemiologist
KnightErrantJR Posted - 25 Aug 2007 : 20:34:48
You know, while I'm not sure of anything at this point, it is interesting to note that (Spoilers for Expedition to Undermountain): Expeidition to UnderMountain mentions a living spell habitat that Halaster established and that Halaster was working to avert some disaster, which has been hinted at being tied into the Spellplague . . . hm
Gray Richardson Posted - 25 Aug 2007 : 20:29:49
I could see the Spellplague involving living spells, introduced in the Eberron setting, but brought into core with MM III.

You have heard tell of plagues of locusts or frogs? Well, I think a plague of living spells rolling across the countryside like a carpet of army ants, disrupting the Weave, could be a devastating event.
Skeptic Posted - 24 Aug 2007 : 23:35:21
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I personally think it will refer to some sort of wizard war -- a plague of spells, using plague in the "there's way too many of these things around!" sense.

I would like it better this way than every caster is sick/dying/dead.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 24 Aug 2007 : 23:31:17
I personally think it will refer to some sort of wizard war -- a plague of spells, using plague in the "there's way too many of these things around!" sense.
Kentinal Posted - 24 Aug 2007 : 16:03:46
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

On WOTC 4E boards, many people are saying that the Spellplague will kill spellcasters in great numbers. I haven't read anything "official" about it, where does this idea comes from ? Pure speculation ?

There is nothing official at all about effect of Spellplague.

It could be many things, period of wild magic, perhaps masive death of spellcasters(though I consider that unlikely), it clearly will be used to explain why magic works differently.
Skeptic Posted - 24 Aug 2007 : 15:35:37
On WOTC 4E boards, many people are saying that the Spellplague will kill spellcasters in great numbers. I haven't read anything "official" about it, where does this idea comes from ? Pure speculation ?
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 22 Aug 2007 : 21:05:38
Thanks for the good lore, George!

Really, now I'm hooked by the changes. And I have the feeling that the great ones (more lore, more "forgotten" content, maps and indexes) are coming because us, fans of the setting, are here asking for this!

It's very good!
Firestorm Posted - 22 Aug 2007 : 19:38:17
Hehehehe. I never thought it was "Myth Dran "ER"" in pronounciation. I always thought it was "Dran"OR"".

I also didn't know the F was silent in Fzoul Chembryl. Its really "ZOUL", like from ghostbusters
George Krashos Posted - 22 Aug 2007 : 19:20:15
quote:
Originally posted by Sanishiver

BTW it was nice to have finally seen Brian and George (and others) in person...George is every bit as cute as I thought he would be. ;)

Yes, a face only a gamer could love ...

-- George Krashos
Athenon Posted - 21 Aug 2007 : 21:33:55
This year's Gen con was great. I've been going for the last 6 years without fail and the "Secrets of the Realms" Seminar is always a highlight. I wonder if we could convince Ed, Eric and Co to participate in a Candlekeep party somewhere next year. We'd certainly have a lot to celebrate with the release of the fluff-empahsizing 4th Edition book!
Sanishiver Posted - 21 Aug 2007 : 05:49:33
Whether that Grey Books reference that was found is correct or not, one thing Ed told me on the side was that, "..it's a very esoteric reference."

The probably doesn't help much, but that's what I was told all the same.

BTW it was nice to have finally seen Brian and George (and others) in person...George is every bit as cute as I thought he would be. ;)
EytanBernstein Posted - 21 Aug 2007 : 05:34:59
This is dedication folks. Hopefully, we can make sure that someone does the same for him when in the years he can't make it to the Con.
Xysma Posted - 21 Aug 2007 : 04:06:00
Thanks George, this is great. I am now even more excited about GHotR and Annotated Elminster, and I am far less worried about the 4E Realms. More lore, more sourcebooks, indexes in the sourcebooks, support for the "forgotten" Forgotten Realms on the DI... it all sounds excellent. Heck, even the Reader's Guide to Drizzt and Co. sounds intriguing, particularly if it is an indicator of more to come (Reader's Guide to the Forgotten Realms).
JEThetford Posted - 21 Aug 2007 : 03:13:28
As one of the self proclaimed "Edophiles" and fellow GenCon corruptor of the young and impressionable, I must say that this Con was the one to be a part of. Lots of things happening and lots of people it was happening to.

---JET
Wenin Posted - 20 Aug 2007 : 23:19:48
I'm convinced, I will be going to GenCon next year. =)
Asgetrion Posted - 20 Aug 2007 : 22:14:16
Asgetrion peeks warily into the library, satisfied that Alaundo seems to have left...

A *GREAT* report, George! I am glad that you posted this, since it seems that even us 3.X Edition fanatics (who will probably never transfer to the 4th Edition) will have upcoming Realmslore to look for. I am glad that they've realised that it is time to shift the focus on more fluffy bits...
Asgetrion Posted - 20 Aug 2007 : 22:09:03
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

DI = Digital Interactive (I believe)

Oh one question, there appears to be some confusion over at the Boards that should not be mentioned.

Core class, is it Warlock or Warlord?

Or is it Digital Initiative? I am not completely sure, though...

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000