Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Help with a Wemic Racial Progression
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2007 :  16:18:38  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello, fellow scribes.

I'm starting a new campaign in the Vilhon Reach, but I don't have a good grasp in the Savage Species rules (to be honest, I don't have the book)

So, I'm asking if someone could help me to develop a racial progression for a wemic.

Thanks in advance.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2007 :  16:46:17  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mmmh - do I understand you correctly? you would like to develop the Wemic species as a players option? Are we talking 2nd. or 3rd. Edition than?

Sorry that I'm asking for clarification.......

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2007 :  16:49:28  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I double checked the "Savage Progressions" section of WOTC's site to make sure that this wasn't already covered by SKR when he did those articles.

I would check the DragonDex to see if it has come up in Dragon, but I can't do that from work (I thought it would make more sense to make sure it hadn't been done yet).
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2007 :  17:08:45  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
KEJR: Yes, I've checked Dragondex and here at Candlekeep, and don't have find nothing...

Ergdusch: yes, you understand correctly: it's for a player character. I'm using the 3.5 rules.

Go to Top of Page

turox
Learned Scribe

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2007 :  17:17:34  Show Profile  Visit turox's Homepage Send turox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
CoM, do you have Races of Faerun? On page 149 it covers the Wemic there. They have a +3 Level Adjustment.

Turox Antas Dragonslayer -
"People will believe anything they want to believe, or fear to believe."
Wizard's First Rule: Chapter 36, Page #397, US Hard Cover (revealed by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander).
Explanation by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander: "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2007 :  18:28:37  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by turox

CoM, do you have Races of Faerun? On page 149 it covers the Wemic there. They have a +3 Level Adjustment.

Here is what you would find on that page (assuming you don't have that tome already):

- +8 STR, +2 DEX, +2 CON, -2 CHA
- Creature type: Large, wemics suffer a -1 size penalty on attack rolls and AC. also a -4 size penalty on Hide checks. However, keep the other options for large creatures in mind. (esp. weapons and carrying capacity)
- Facing is 10 feet and Reach is 5 feet
- Land speed 40 feet
- +4 nat. Armor
- Darkvision 60 feet
- Proficient with simple weapons and shield
- +8 racial bonus to Jump checks
- Monstrous Hit Dice: 5d8 (following that is a +4 base attack bonus, +1 Fort, +4 Refelx, +4 Will)
- Monstrous Humanuid skills: (2+ INT modifier)x8, Class skills are: Hide, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Spot, Survival (which was Wilderness Lore in 3.0 IIRC)
- Monstrous Feats: 2 feats (due to his hit dice), typically Alertness and Great Fortitude
- Natural attack: 2 claws - 1d6 dmg; when using one-hand weapons his off-hand claw can attack as well (normal offhand weapon rules apply, -5 penalty to attack & only half STR modifier to dmg)
- Automatic Languages: Sylvan, Common
- Bonus Languages: by region
- Favored Class: Barbarian
- Level Adjustment: +3 (Character level +8)

Now, there you go. Any more infosneeded?!?

Ergdusch

Edited by - Ergdusch on 09 Aug 2007 18:35:37
Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2007 :  19:29:48  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It sounds to me like CoM wants to write an 8-level "wemic class" in order to start a wemic character at level 1. I don't have Savage Species myself, but maybe you can figure out how to do this given the normal wemic based on the Savage Progressions feature on the WotC website (go to the archives and then retired articles). I'd be interested to hear how it goes!

My DnD Links and Creations
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2007 :  20:03:53  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, without coming up with the proper details yet, the general progression would divide the hit dice into their own levels as well as the level adjustments, meaning that between the hit dice and level adjustment, this would be an 8 level class (as freyar notes above).

Most likely for first level this would mean that the wemic would start out as a medium sized creature, but other than that starting comment, I'd have to scrutinize the rules a bit more to come up with more specific answers.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2007 :  20:04:21  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, with 5 HD and +3 LA, it would be an 8 level class. Thus, you'd take these abilities and spread them out over 8 levels

- +8 STR, +2 DEX, +2 CON, -2 CHA
- Creature type: Large, wemics suffer a -1 size penalty on attack rolls and AC. also a -4 size penalty on Hide checks. However, keep the other options for large creatures in mind. (esp. weapons and carrying capacity)
- Facing is 10 feet and Reach is 5 feet
- Land speed 40 feet
- +4 nat. Armor
- Darkvision 60 feet
- Proficient with simple weapons and shield
- +8 racial bonus to Jump checks
- Monstrous Hit Dice: 5d8 (following that is a +4 base attack bonus, +1 Fort, +4 Refelx, +4 Will)
- Monstrous Humanuid skills: (2+ INT modifier)x8, Class skills are: Hide, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Spot, Survival (which was Wilderness Lore in 3.0 IIRC)
- Monstrous Feats: 2 feats (due to his hit dice), typically Alertness and Great Fortitude
- Natural attack: 2 claws - 1d6 dmg; when using one-hand weapons his off-hand claw can attack as well (normal offhand weapon rules apply, -5 penalty to attack & only half STR modifier to dmg)
- Automatic Languages: Sylvan, Common

Plus

So, lets give it a try:

1st lvl HD 1d8 BAB +1 Ref +2 Will +2
Ability scores: +4 str -2 Cha
1st feat
size medium
natural attack: 1d4 dmg
land speed: 30
darkvision: 30 feet
+1 racial to jump
proficiency simple weapons and shields
Languages: sylvan and common

2nd lvl Fort +1
Ability scores: +2 dex
+1 natural armor
+2 racial to jump

3rd lvl HD 2d8 BAB +2
Ability scores: +2 con
land speed: 40
+3 racial to jump

4th lvl Ref +3 Will +3
size: large
+2 natural armor
+4 racial to jump

5th lvl HD 3d8 BAB +3
natural attack: 1d6 dmg
+5 racial to jump

6th lvl Ability scores: +2 str
2nd feat
+3 natural armor
+6 racial to jump

7th lvl HD 4d8 BAB +4 Ref +4 Will +4
darkvision: 60 feet
+7 racial to jump

8th lvl HD 5d8
Ability Scores: +2 str
+4 natural armor
+8 racial to jump

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2007 :  20:20:10  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Darn it, Sleyvas you worked it out before I could even get home to look things up . . . looks good from where I'm sitting though.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2007 :  21:18:37  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hum, it appears interesting... thanks, Sleyvas. I will take a good look later (now I'm at work). ^^

Question: How I manage the skill points?

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2007 :  21:20:03  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...and thanks to KEJR, freyar, Ergdush and turox.

Your help is very apreciated!

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2007 :  21:41:42  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

Hum, it appears interesting... thanks, Sleyvas. I will take a good look later (now I'm at work). ^^

Question: How I manage the skill points?

First, impressive work, Sylvas. And looks good to me too, after the first quick glance.

To the the skill points, that is the easiest part of it all.

According to the stats of RoF the wemic gets 2 + INT modifier per Character Level (that is x8 in this case) See also above under Monstrous Humanoid Skills.

Since you would probably devide his level advancement into 8 lvls you give the player 2 + INT modifier per Level.

Do you catch on..........?

.........and you are most welcome!

Ergdusch

Edited by - Ergdusch on 09 Aug 2007 21:43:18
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2007 :  01:51:46  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, that make the things very clear!
Thanks for the help, my friends.

Now, I'll permit a wemic of 2nd level (that one day will be a wemic paladin) in the campaign.

Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2007 :  04:54:52  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sleyvas, this looks great! Now I know who to ask if I ever want a racial progression done.

Don't forget to make the PC take all the racial levels first...

My DnD Links and Creations
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2007 :  09:26:11  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just though of something last night concerning the skill points. That is, every first lvl charachter gets his skill point multiplied by 4 (x4). According to the RoF a wemic char does not get this x4 multiplier at first class level due to his monstrous skill points.

Due to this fact and my suggestion your wemic character is only getting his normal amount of skill points at the start of the game. (that is 2 + INT mod) That might result in some difficulties -either balance wise or because the player is frustrated about only having so few skill points while playing with e.g. a human thief (easily 48 skill points at 1st lvl).

That made me reconsider my approach. therefore skillpoints according to the following:

1st lvl: (2 + INT modifier) x4 (which equals the amoint of e.g. a dwarf cleric at first lvl)
Thereafter: every even level (2nd,4th,6th & 8th) additional 2 + INT modifier

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2007 :  15:10:44  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmmm... this appears more logic for me too, Ergdusch. I take a look in the DM Guide, concerning this matter, and I think that this is the best approach!

Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2007 :  15:12:13  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
place the skill points together with the HD's i would say ... much easier

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2007 :  20:24:34  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very impressive work Sleyvas. You gotta admire those Red Wizards, they're good at what they do.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2007 :  10:36:03  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sian

mmmhh......... good point there, Sian! That would of course work as well too and might be even a better aproach, as skill points are Hit dice related anyhow.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2007 :  18:48:06  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

quote:

mmmhh......... good point there, Sian! That would of course work as well too and might be even a better aproach, as skill points are Hit dice related anyhow.

Really makes more sense. Thanks, Sian!

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
733 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2008 :  19:13:33  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry to dredge up an old scroll like this, but while searching for some Savage Progression stuff I came accross this. Just for clarity to anyone not having a good grasp on Savage Species rules:
quote:
Races of Faerūn page 151

Monstrous Humanoid Skills: A wemic’s monstrous humanoid Hit Dice grant him skill points equal to (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1) x8. Class skills for these skill points are Hide, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Spot, and Survival.

(emphasis mine)

This equates exactly to (2 + Int modifier) x4 at first racial HD, plus four more allocations of (2 + Int modifier) x1 for the remaining racial HD.

Therefore, Sian's suggestion is not only good but also correct (not detracting from Ergdush's suggestion in any way). The player would still get the x4 skill points at first level, but according to the creature type. This is in fact the reason for...
quote:
Races of Faerūn page 151

A wemic does not get the x4 multiplier for skill points acquired from his first class level.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2008 :  20:04:14  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The easiest way to create a high HD humanoid is to say, create a 1st-level version (i.e. in the case of the wemic, 5 monstrous humanoid HD and 1 HD from say, a fighter level).

Fully build the character up, complete with skills and feats allocation for that 6 HD wemic ftr1; then, if the rest of the party is at 1st HD (i.e. a level 1 party), then have the wemic take a -5 penalty on all attacks, saves, and skill checks (which is recommended at the end of PGtoF). Every take you "level up," the wemic goes to -4, -3, etc. until there are no penalties left when the wemic has XPs equivalent to a "regular level 6" adventurer (i.e. a human, dwarf, elf, etc. adventurer).
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
733 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2008 :  19:52:40  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A slightly different (33K) take on sleyvas' level progression for the wemic. I tried to follow the Savage Progression rules, with an equal spread of enhancements over all the levels. Also, a wemic starts with +5 BAB, not +4, and that would affect the racial level progression.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000