Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 the Whalebones
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

piterHoeg
Acolyte

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2008 :  04:06:23  Show Profile  Visit piterHoeg's Homepage Send piterHoeg a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I just had a player ask me if he could build a Tower on the Whalebones from which he could teleport to Waterdeep and keep his wizardly (sorcererly) mystique.

I said, "huh, I don't know what's on the Whalebones."

So I ask. Is there a resource from which I can draw down this information? I have found nothing so far with a great bit of surprise.

Thanks!

Mod edit: Moved scroll from the ethers to this section.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 20 Jul 2008 04:30:22

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2008 :  09:49:27  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

quote:
Originally posted by piterHoeg

I just had a player ask me if he could build a Tower on the Whalebones I said, "huh, I don't know what's on the Whalebones."
Thanks!

From the Moonshae Timeline
-1000 DR
For the next several centuries, the Illuskans of Ruathym colonize the Gull Rocks, Gundarlun, Mintarn, the Purple Rocks, the Teeth, Tuern (a.k.a., Uttersea), Umukek, the Wave Rocks, and the Whalebones. In time these Illuskan seafarers become known as the Northmen. Thinking them cursed, the Northmen stay clear of the Moonshae Isles and its mischievous fey inhabitants.

105 DR (Year of the Bloody Goad)
An Illuskan tribe known as the Rus, led by their chieftain Yvengi, stumble upon a malfunctioning portal in the Whalebones. It deposited them on the eastern shore of Lake Ashane in far away Rashemen.

1357 DR (Year of the Prince)
Waterdeep negotiates a truce between Ruathym and Luskan, but that backfires when Luskan, Ruathym, Tuern, and the Whalebones forge an alliance to raid settlements along the Sword Coast.

more here about a necromancer and his spirit portal.

Alternatively you could use the islands of Candlekeep as described here as a basis for what they might be like (its the first few posts)

I am of course assuming you mean the Whalebones of the North, there are also islands to the south of Chult/Halruaa called the Whalebones as well...... so a somewhat interesting game might revovle around the mistake in the names, if the PC was to buy the island from a certain other individual who is the current owner and have all the rights to own it and do what they want with it, they might not get the one they wanted (just one random thought , there are many others gameplay options here)

Cheers

Damian
EDIT: have finally figured out how to do the clever linking url to words thingy - who-hoo!!! and who says grognards can't learn from the 'kewl' kids....

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 20 Jul 2008 10:47:43
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2008 :  14:49:05  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only other information is contained in the old FR5 Savage Frontier accessory.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  17:30:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

I am of course assuming you mean the Whalebones of the North, there are also islands to the south of Chult/Halruaa called the Whalebones as well......
Great research CA, but the southern island chain is known as The Whales Flukes.

As seen HERE.

EDIT: just added Quomec from the 4e map - I'm assuming it was always there.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 22 Jul 2008 17:49:34
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2008 :  09:47:40  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Markustay
Great research CA, but the southern island chain is known as The Whales Flukes.
[quote]

Cheers Mark

They are not the ones I am talking (remembering) about - I seem to recall on the old Waterdeep trail map a set of islands further south and to the east called the Whalebone Islands.

There were two sets of islands 'close' to each other the other was called the Shipgrave Islands.

IDHTBIFOM to confirm though .

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 23 Jul 2008 10:42:02
Go to Top of Page

piterHoeg
Acolyte

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2008 :  03:41:04  Show Profile  Visit piterHoeg's Homepage Send piterHoeg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks everyone for the help! i am indeed speaking of the northern islands near the Moonshaes. i had thought i would find some information in the old TSR/Moonshae accessory, but to no avail. thanks George for pointing me to where they REALLY were in the old supplements.

and thanks crazedventurers for that awesome bit of Realmslore from Ed.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2008 :  20:27:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your welcome - I learn just as much from these threads as anyone else does, so I really appreciate geography questions.

Unfortunetly I can't access my DeviantArt account ATM, but I have the entire southern coast of Faerūn done already, and there are no other Whalebones... trust me.

The Shipgrave Island (and another chain) both appear on my Halruaa map, and if anyone else can get on DeviantArt, you can see them there.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

piterHoeg
Acolyte

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2008 :  04:11:07  Show Profile  Visit piterHoeg's Homepage Send piterHoeg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well, i do have a lot of geography questions.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000