Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Looking for infos about Tethyr
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2007 :  12:06:47  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi folks!

I am planing to run a campaing in Tethry (or Cormyr, have not decided yet - see other thread). Therefore I will start a gathering of materials.

I already have FRCS of 2nd. and 3rd. Ed. as well as the 2nd. Ed. sourcebook Lands of Intrigue.

Now, what other sources (though no novels) could you think of that will provide me with additional infos . Throw it at me, will ya!?

Here is a list of those sources already mentioned:

Sourcesbooks:
- FR Campaign Setting
- Lands of Intrigue (complete download), Book 1: Tethyr
- Volo's Guide to Baldurs Gate II
- Empires of the Sands (esp. for Tethyr see p. 21-47)
- Empires of the Shining Sea Box Set (for editional info on the Shoon, p. 23 et seq.)
- Cloak and Dagger/Lords of Darkness (for major power groups)
- Heroes Lorebook (about a famous adventuring group - the Company of Eight)

Adventures:
- Castle Spulzeer (esp. 'An ancient family', p. 5 et seq.)
- The Wyrmskull Throne (though not set in Tethyr it at least begins in Toralth, a farming village in northeastern Tethyr between the capital at Darromar and the Amnian rebel city of Riatavin.; p. 11 et seq.)

Novels:
- War in Tethyr (Book II in "The Nobels" series)
- Silver Shadows (about the wood elves of Tethyr)
- Realms of the Deep: The Star of Tethyr (story a young man serving in Tethyr's navy taking place on Thordentor Island)
- Realms of Valor: The Bargain (Arilyn Moonblade and Danilo Thann travel to Tethyr on assignment)

Web-Links:
- An Online RPG set in Tethyr, giving lots of info about this special place. See Trouble in Tethyr.
- for Taverns in Tethry look here: Taverns and Inns in the Realms
- The Three Hagsketeers, adventure hook set in Tethyr.
- Bring Back That Shepherd!, another adventure hook for Tethyr.
- More of Waterdeep and the Land of Intrigue! - from Rand's Travelogue, giving small stats for the Tethyrean town of Saradush.
- An Excerpt from the Players Guide to Faerun details The College of the Eclipse, a society dedicated to the advancement of psionic abilities headquartered in the Tethyrian metropolis of Riatavin. You'll find the excerpt here and a copy of the relevant part on page 2 of this thread.
- Tethyr Nobles and Court Celebrities (zip-file) - Extracts from the Lands of Intrigue campaign expansion found in Alaundo's Library/Realms Lore section at Candlekeep.
- Emerald Enclave Portals - The Wealdath is a Tethyr-related article in the Perilous Gateways series. Enjoy the adventure Hook!
- See also the Portal of Blood, the last legacy of the terrible Blood Magus Ixin. Another Portal in the Perilous Gateways series set within Tethyr (featuring a nice map of the Kindom).
- NPC foe Giarrok the Fire-Tongue, who found shelter in the partial ruins of this old keep along the borderlands of the Forest of Tethir.

Maps:
of Tethyr and surroundings:
- here
- Empires of the Sands, midsection (fold-up map)
Duchies and Counties of Tethyr:
Lands of Intrigue, Book 1, Tethyr, back cover
Darromar, Capitol City:
Lands of Intrigue, Book 1, Tethyr, back cover inside
Zazzesspur:
Lands of Intrigue, Book 1, Tethyr, front cover inside

other tidbits of lore:
- Stats (see FRCS p. 158) of the current rulers of Tethyr:
Queen-Monarch Zaranda Star Rhindaun - CG female human Ftr7/Wiz6
King Haedrak III - NG male human Frt2/Wiz6

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 13 Mar 2008 19:46:59

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2007 :  14:02:35  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The old Empires of Sands which I don't know to well, I am unsure how much there is in that one that is not expanded in Lands of Intrigue.

In Cloak and Dagger there is much to find on the larger power groups of the region.

An old Dragon magazine (somewhere in the 240's I think) has a writer-up on Zharandas allies.

I seem to remember something about a module or to, but I am not certain of this.

Information concerning the history of the Shoon can be found in the 2ed. Calimshan box (the name has slipped my mind)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2007 :  14:26:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd also recommend Ed's Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II.

The box set Jorkens refers to is the Empires of the Shining Sea.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2007 :  14:52:01  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Castle Spulzeer - 2e Adventure and FR crossover with Ravenloft has some on Tethyr as well, though the adventure is more related to Amn.

The Wyrmskull Thrones - 2e Adventure starts in Tibold (eastern Tethyr)

Any tome covering the Shadow Thieves, Knights of the Shield or the Twisted Rune.

Also the Faiths & Avatars 2e or Faiths and Pantheons (3e) for the deities that play a major role in the region (Ilmater, Torm, Tyr, Siamorphe to name a few).

Oh, stay a way from the number 5 - Tethyrians are very superstitious regarding this number (similar to Real World number 13 if not more so)

Edited by - Mumadar Ibn Huzal on 03 Aug 2007 14:54:12
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2007 :  14:54:58  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

The old Empires of Sands which I don't know to well, I am unsure how much there is in that one that is not expanded in Lands of Intrigue.

In Cloak and Dagger there is much to find on the larger power groups of the region.

An old Dragon magazine (somewhere in the 240's I think) has a writer-up on Zharandas allies.

I seem to remember something about a module or to, but I am not certain of this.

Information concerning the history of the Shoon can be found in the 2ed. Calimshan box (the name has slipped my mind)

I will look through my old dragon issues as well as those sources you listed to see if I find anything. Thnaks so far. If you come up with anything else - here is still lots of space for you to let me know!

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2007 :  14:57:25  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

Oh, stay a way from the number 5 - Tethyrians are very superstitious regarding this number (similar to Real World number 13 if not more so)

I never understood that line, actually.......... until now!

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2007 :  12:54:29  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course, you can always ask nicely herein, and folk will flock to answer your queries on Tethyr....assuming we can remember to log in (or remember what we wrote 10+ years ago).

Steven
who wishes for a winter home in the southwestern climes of Tethyr and the Purple Hills

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2007 :  17:11:16  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What if I just dress provocatively and demand answers?

Seriously though, I may have an "Interregnum-related" question coming for you soon Steven . . . in preparation for a campaign piece I'm planning for next month.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Lady Kazandra on 07 Aug 2007 17:12:16
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2007 :  16:43:37  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

What if I just dress provocatively and demand answers?

Seriously though, I may have an "Interregnum-related" question coming for you soon Steven . . . in preparation for a campaign piece I'm planning for next month.

That might work, but remember I'm a married man now. Besides, I'll try and answer such queries no matter how one is e-dressed.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Shallabal
Acolyte

Germany
10 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2007 :  00:18:56  Show Profile  Visit Shallabal's Homepage Send Shallabal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Technically there is also the Player's Guide to Faerun, if you haven't considered that as part of FR Campaign Setting. If I recall correctly there wasn't any additional info you would not find in the FRCS about Tethyr.

"They say time heals all wounds! Yet even now, the sound of her name, the thought of her face, still rend my heart asunder!"
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2007 :  07:53:16  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shallabal

Technically there is also the Player's Guide to Faerun, if you haven't considered that as part of FR Campaign Setting. If I recall correctly there wasn't any additional info you would not find in the FRCS about Tethyr.

I'll check on that. Thanks for pointing it out though, Shallabal, esp. since the Tethyrian lore is somewhat litmited it seems....

Ergdusch

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2007 :  08:02:27  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi folks!

Do we have stats for Queen-Monarch Zaranda Star Rhindaun and King Haedrak III anywhere?

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2007 :  09:13:30  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are short stats for at least Zaranda in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2007 :  09:15:06  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well 2ed. had a writeup of Zaranda in Heroes Lorebook; as for 3ed. versions. I have no idea what so ever.
Go to Top of Page

Shallabal
Acolyte

Germany
10 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2007 :  12:03:26  Show Profile  Visit Shallabal's Homepage Send Shallabal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are about 4 pages (pp 102-105) regarding Humans in Tethyr in "Races of Faerun". Gives some insights into Tethyrian history and society too. There are several hints to Tethyrians in various sections of the book, too. Bear in mind that this book covers the Tethyrians as an ethnic group rather than the people in the kingdom (though you get some information about that too, like ethnical races in Tethyr region).

I'll check my other books for more, unfortunately hardcover books don't have the "search" option :D

"They say time heals all wounds! Yet even now, the sound of her name, the thought of her face, still rend my heart asunder!"

Edited by - Shallabal on 23 Aug 2007 12:19:43
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2007 :  18:58:59  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My memory may be faulty here, but I think both of them are wizard/fighter multiclasses. Last time I statted them, I don't think either of them exceeded more than a total of 6 levels or so.

In any case, their levels by now might equate to Z at W/F 4/6 and Haedrak at W/F 6/3 and each of them probably has a level or two of noble or ruler equivalent class/rank.

Granted, there are many more options for them in 3E and 3.5E, so Lhaeo's scribe background might be brought back into stats/play. However, as I don't have access to Most books in 3E, I didn't even try to guess how that might play.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2007 :  20:23:20  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
<<Besides, I'll try and answer such queries no matter how one is e-dressed.

(scratching his crotch through a torn hole in his pants, whilst eating an overripe mango that is steadily dripping on his tunic) Steven, is Barakmordin the original place where the triad (worship of Tyr, Torm, and Ilmater) formed up?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2007 :  22:50:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hopefully I will have a halfway decent map of the region up in a few days - the lore is spread around, but it still has to be less of a pain then Impiltur was (at least there were several sources that covered it).

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'd also recommend Ed's Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II.
You know, I was completely unaware of this tome!!!

I just checked, and it isn't a PDF download... gawd, I HATE E-bay...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2007 :  00:33:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye. It's one of the few FR products not to experience the PDF treatment. You can try nobleknight.com for printed copies though. As I recall, they still have some in stock.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2007 :  10:59:03  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

There are short stats for at least Zaranda in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting.

I must have missed them apparently.... After your hint, Kaje, I went throught the regions discription again and WOW - there were short stats! I wonder how I could have missed those the first, second and third to seventh read-through......... anyhow FRCS p. 158 (regional history of Tethyr)

Zaranda - CG female human Ftr7/Wiz6
Haedrak - NG male human Frt2/Wiz6

Thanks for the help guys. I will check on the heroes lorebook as well.

Edited by - Ergdusch on 24 Aug 2007 11:05:33
Go to Top of Page

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2007 :  11:34:52  Show Profile Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well - I got in about Active Polls and just missed that all the info was in the other topic... Sorry about it - I just deleted my post - maybe you could do the same with your friendly slap in the face Ergdusch
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2007 :  19:40:19  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

<<Besides, I'll try and answer such queries no matter how one is e-dressed.

(scratching his crotch through a torn hole in his pants, whilst eating an overripe mango that is steadily dripping on his tunic) Steven, is Barakmordin the original place where the triad (worship of Tyr, Torm, and Ilmater) formed up?

Short answer: Yes, in the printing sense; no in the historical.

Long answer: That's the first place mentioned in print by WotC that the Triad formed up and the first major temple noted. I'd be loathe to make the claim that this was where the Triad first happened. That would shut down any lore that might crop up. In fact, I suspect Eric Boyd & George Krashos might have more to say about the history of the Triad and how it impacted any number of realms in the past.

I suspect the Triad might possibly be even older than Tyr's tenure in the Realms, with Ilmater and Torm working with another god in the times before the one-handed hammerer came along....

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2007 :  19:57:16  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anachtyr perhaps? The way the lore presented in Lands of Intrigue embeds specifically Ilmater, but also (Anach)Tyr and Torm into its history, I would be surprised if this was only a 'recent' development. Vaasa, Damara and the environs obviosly have a long history with the Imaskari romping about in that region and Raumathar et al, but also Calimshan has been a 'cultured' area seemingly forever...

The instance (along with the Clangeddin/Selune order of the Crescent Moon) of the Triad appearing in two areas in printed lore is too good an opportunity to pass for the Spin Doctors of Realmslore ad ad-hoc historical references
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2007 :  15:48:37  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Found another info about Tethyr - Heroes Lorebook covers the story of an adventuring company from Tethry, the Company of Eight. Just to let you know. Might trigger some lost lore in one of your brains.......

So much for now....

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2007 :  20:12:27  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The characters from the Company of Eight return in Lands of Intrigue as some of the country's 'new' shakers and movers on the political front. I believe they are also mentioned on the Empires of the Sands boxed set (the precursor to LOI and EotSS)
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  08:33:41  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've looked through Kuje's composed files of Ed's replies here at Candlekeep.com (See here: So saith Ed) for anything on Cormyr. Thank you Kuje for your work on the replies of the old hairy one and THO. Made my work a lot easier. Now, I noticed a few answers related to Tethyr as well, especially about Lhaeo. I will post them here as soon as I have time to.

Ed's replies of 2004
- placeholder -

Ed's replies of 2005
- placeholder -

Ed's replies of 2006
- placeholder -

Ed's replies of 2007
- placeholder -

Edited by - Ergdusch on 13 Sep 2007 08:39:15
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2007 :  12:02:02  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Added two adventure hooks set in Tethyr to the list of Web links.

I keep up the work as much as possible. However, Cormyr is prior to Tethyr....

Ergdusch

Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2007 :  23:15:27  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try the Tethyr wiki and look at the source links. There's something by Mr. Boyd down there as well as an excerpt from PGtF about Tethyr... and another minor article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tethyr

Check it out.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2007 :  08:05:42  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your support, Mazrim!

I am on my way over to that link already........

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2007 :  08:15:34  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An Excerpt from the Players Guide to Faerun which you'll also find here.

The College of the Eclipse

Headquartered in the Tethyrian metropolis of Riatavin, this society is dedicated to the advancement of psionic abilities. The College of the Eclipse operates openly from its fortresslike headquarters. Most Tethyrians believe that it's just another esoteric order of arcane spellcasters, and its members encourage that misconception. The college administers entrance exams designed to identify psionic aptitude to anyone who requests entrance, and it offers inexpensive basic training in the Art. More advanced students can also rent living quarters and access to the college's laboratories and libraries.
A graduate of the basic course is equivalent to a 1st- or 2nd-level psion and is called a fellow. Almost all fellows of the college work in government or the skilled trades. Graduates often find work as oracles, sages, or advisors to government officials or trading companies. Almost all are psions, although at least two of the college's instructors are wilders.

The seven regents of the college (all high-level psions) are making increasing efforts to keep tabs on the colleges' fellows. They're concerned about the public perception of psionics, and they don't want wayward psions making life more difficult for students of the Art.

Campaign Hooks:
You can adapt any of the following hooks to draw the characters into contact with the College of the Eclipse.
- A character who is ready to take a level in a psionic class can study for a few tendays at the college, paying for tuition but receiving psionic items as awards and graduation gifts.
- The regents might hire adventurers to investigate or apprehend a psionic graduate who's turned to evil.
- A conventional wizard's guild in Riatavin might hire PCs to infiltrate the College of the Eclipse and learn the secrets of its "strange magic."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 20 Dec 2007 09:07:51
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  14:19:14  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tethyr Nobles and Court Celebrities (zip-file) - Extracts from the Lands of Intrigue campaign expansion found in Alaundo's Library/Realms Lore section at Candlekeep.

Slowly extending the list, Ergdusch

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000