Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 How close to the mark on Impiltur
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thangorn
Seeker

New Zealand
84 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2008 :  11:39:58  Show Profile Send Thangorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was having difficulty getting ahold of canon info for Impiltur so I just made stuff up.

I have no intentions of changing things for my game (unless someone gives me some better ideas of course :) ) but I am interested in what others have come up with in their research and to see how close to the mark I came to others impressions so here goes.

Please Note: My campaign is set in 1362DR

Haelimbrar's Watch: An ancient partly crumbling 60' wall of granite masonry that stretches the length of the pass separating the Earthspur Mts from the Earthfast mountains. Haelimbrar's watch features watchtowers every 150 feet with the main bastion being just west of the town of Ladiguer. The main bastion gate has two squads of 12 soldiers manning it at all times.

These squads use somewhat antiquated equipment and are usually quite fresh military recruits but well trained and drilled. The sergeants and watch-captains are usually somewhat older than the norm as this is a reasonably cushy job training new recruits for them with few threats from the west and mainly bandits and humanoids to contend with.

Laviguer: A town that has two main purposes. A military garrison which is mainly for training of new recruits and a trading stop on the way between Impiltur and the Vast. Since the nearby garrison, a fortress that is some 600 years old, houses some 2000+ soldiers, the town sports a plethora of taverns, festhalls and whorehouses to cater to fellows with a gold coin or two to spend on such things. Being a way stop for caravanners there is a smithy, livery and stabling faciities. There are a few outlying farms and a large mill and bakery, mainly catering for the garrison but most foodstuffs are imported from elsewhere. This is an edgy, rough town with too many young soldiers with ready fists when off-duty, this heightened by the short pay for soldiery in Impiltur, though there is a strong national pride for a "forgotten nation" on the mend.

Yordric-Dun: So named for the ancient hillfort that looms over the village in the north. The hillfort only sports a small garrison of outriders now and only in one of the towers that has been restored. This rest of the hillfort being over 1000 years old is in a sorry state of disrepair and few venture into it due to the frequency of collapse and rumours of hauntings. The hillfort sits just above the slope from the Northern end of Haelimbrar's watch.
The settlement itself is an small industrious village that subsists on copper and tin mining, hunting and trapping in the mountainous regions nearby. River fishing in the Icehilt tributaries is also a favourite of the locals. There is a small community of dwarves that live down here and who trade from time to time with the dwarven clans of the Earthspurs.
The settlement mood is gruff and no nonsense and outsiders are not welcomed but are mostly ignored even though their coins are welcomed. The hillfort garrison consists of younger recruits who are actually quite well drilled thanks to the local garrison commander who takes his role of patrolling and protecting the western frontier very seriously and is actually quite good at his job.

Ex-A Land Far Away (ALFA) DM/Builder

Faerunian Canon Despot

Edited by - Thangorn on 28 Feb 2008 12:53:29

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2008 :  11:52:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The best information can be found by weaving together scattered references from the following products:-

- Dreams of Red Wizards
- The Bloodstone Lands
- Sea of Fallen Stars
- Champions of Ruin
and Champions of Valor -- Eric told us that he sees the Impiltur sections in both as a convenient mini-setting for Impiltur campaigns
- Dragon #277 - "Soargar's Legacy" -- George's detailing, with a little Impilturan lore, of these important weapons for the realm
- Dragon #346 - Krash's "Impiltur: The Forgotten Kingdom" article
-Unapproachable East [last chapter]
- FRCS

-- And finally, my-soon-to-be-completed [like everything else I'm offering up to Candlekeep] compilation of ALL of Krash's "Impiltur" posts made both at Candlekeep and here at WotC through the years.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 28 Feb 2008 11:53:29
Go to Top of Page

Thangorn
Seeker

New Zealand
84 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2008 :  12:01:01  Show Profile Send Thangorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent mate. Thanks for that. I'm going to dig out the first five books you mentioned and take a peek. didnt even think to look in them. i did look in Unapproachable east but there wasnt much..

anything specific to Haelimbrar's Watch, Tower Ithfall, Laviguer or Yordric-Dun in there..?

I look forward to your compilation with bated breath :)

Faerunian Canon Despot

Edited by - Thangorn on 28 Feb 2008 12:54:43
Go to Top of Page

Thangorn
Seeker

New Zealand
84 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2008 :  12:09:14  Show Profile Send Thangorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought I read in Cormyr: A Novel, that the original inhabitants of Cormyr (Obarskyrs, etc.) came from Impiltur yet the Red Wizard's entry says Impiltur's only been around for 260 years.

Faerunian Canon Despot
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2008 :  12:44:35  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thangorn

I thought I read in Cormyr: A Novel, that the original inhabitants of Cormyr (Obarskyrs, etc.) came from Impiltur yet the Red Wizard's entry says Impiltur's only been around for 260 years.

That would be the old and new Impiltur. SO the Red Wizards entry relates to the New Impiltur, the Ood Impiltur fell from knowledge for a while before the Kingdom was 'reborn'. George Krashos (Krash) is the authority on Impiltur and am sure he can put you straight on 'Old Implitur'.

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Dalvyn
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2008 :  06:14:26  Show Profile  Visit Dalvyn's Homepage Send Dalvyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the books of Northern Journey also has plenty of information on Impiltur (though this is unofficial information and it sometimes contradict the most recent sources - but it's still a good source for ideas).
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2008 :  00:37:27  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's actually Vordric-Dun and Tower Ithfell.

I've never bothered to get into any specifics on any of the places you mention although my "Impiltur" article in Dragon dealt briefly with the general geographic locale your campaign seems to be centred on.

I like the sound of what you've come up with and if you prefer to stick to 'canon' you can tweak thing slighty once you've read the sources Sage has noted below.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2008 :  09:22:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And just in case you were unaware of it, you can find a Map of Impiltur HERE.

Note: Lothcha "the Bandit Lord" was mentioned in the 1e FRCS box entry for Impiltur. It said his hold was located in the Desertspire Mountains, which unfortunely do not exist. Since I had a starting point (the Ice Gorge), I named the group hills to the NW "Desertspire" to avoid any inconsistencies.

Old Lothcha is probably getting on in years by now, though.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000