Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Looking for all about Cormyr
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  17:29:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

However, I checked all sources except for Crown of fire, with the only info being that it burned down after a tavern brawl and has not been rebuilt since. Than all the sudden Into the dragons lair pronounces it as the only oparating tavern in town. Makes me wonder, it does, how that came about. Due to the war? are all other palces ruined after some goblin attack? Are some of the owners dead or did they flee town? Or is business so bad that it is no longer profitable to run a tavern/inn/rooming house?
I found this tidbit from Ed to be somewhat enlightening:-

"It's easy to remain calm in the face of changes or disagreements about Realmslore when one learns to "think Realms." Here's an example: in the recent module [Into The Dragon's Lair], we learn that the Welcoming Hand is the only inn currently operating in Eveningstar. Huh? I could hit the roof ("Look, I created the whole shebang, the essential references here are Haunted Halls of Eveningstar, the print FR Atlas, the novel Crown of Fire, and the Eveningstar writeup in DRAGON that we had to dump out of FR ADVENTURES for lack of space...can't you guys get ANYTHING right? The Welcoming Hand is the burnt-out ruin, and the Lonesome Tankard is the famous and well-loved local inn and tavern.") or I can "think Realms." To whit, for the purposes of the adventure, it doesn't matter. For the purposes of my ongoing campaign, it does. So, the rebuilding that I had underway at the Hand got speeded up, and the Tankard got taken out of the market. Why? Ah - the need to retake Arabel and scour the northeast of goblins and orcs and brigands and wandering monsters and all the rest of the chaos that followed DotD. Obviously, many Purple Dragons were needed in the area; not enough barracks-space coupled with a need for an Eveningstar presence (thanks to the gorge leading up into - and down from - the Stonelands) meant that the Crown took over the Tankard, paying Dunman too handsomely for him to say no, and he simply serves the locals their brews out a side-window, now, without taking guests. The Crown probably also helped finish the rebuilding of the Hand. End of inconsistency problem; easy, eh?"
quote:
Could thou be a little more forthcoming with what info the novel Crown of Fire has to offer on this part?
I'd have to take a look through my copy of the novel, I'm afraid.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  22:23:51  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sage!

So it seems Ed himseölf was a little astonished to say the least that his "plans" for Eveningstar were not those that were introduced in Into the Dragons Lair. His explanation helps somewhat even though I do not like it very much as it is no "canon source". However, as this gap will most likely not be easily fixed I will take Ed's suggestions and "think Realms" or ignore the changes made in the adventure.......

Thanks for the info, though. Much appreciated and again I am amazed as to what you are able to pull out of the hat (or from some other unknown source).

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2007 :  22:39:29  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A list of Purple Dragon ranks
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

The Purple Dragon ranks from lowest to highest (with very roughly equivalent real-world ranks, useful for anyone familiar with a military deriving its ranks from the British system) is:

Blade- Private or Corporal
First Sword- Sergeants
Swordcaptain- Warrant Officers/ Lieutenants
Lionar- Captain
Ornrion- Major/Lt. Colonel
Constal- Colonel
Oversword
Battlemaster

Battlemaster and Oversword are somewhat equal, both being roughly equivalent to general officers in our world. Generally speaking, a battlemaster is a field officer, while an oversword is a garrisoned or "base" officer (like the commander of the garrison of Arabel, Oversword Dutharr). You'll never really see a noble below the rank of swordcaptain, and rarely below the rank of lionar. Commoners, for their part, have a hard time making it past lionar, though an ennobled or knighted commoner can rise to any rank the crown or his superiors desire.

Standing above these ranks is the (Lord High) Warden of the Eastern Marches, currently Dauneth Marliir. Any other regional wardens ("Warden of the North," for example) would also be at this level. The Warden of the Port of Marsember, Ayesunder Truesilver (and de facto head of the Imperial Navy), is effectively at this level as well.

Above the Warden is the (Lord) High Marshal of the Kingdom. This post is currently vacant--in truth, it's filled by Alusair--and answers only to the Crown, having full command over the total forces of all Cormyr.

Edited by - Ergdusch on 04 Sep 2007 22:40:10
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2007 :  08:14:24  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On my search on infos to Cormyr I found two lists of the Cormyrean noblity by Kris Metz here and here and by Jerry Davis here.

Reading through those a new question arose:
How did the war against Nalavara and her goblin armee and the war against the Shades effect the nobles in Cormyr? Did many of them loose their lives on battlefields? Are all those from Tilverton dead due to the catastrophe that happend there? How strong did the noble class emerge from all those wars anyway? Thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edited by - Ergdusch on 06 Sep 2007 08:43:59
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2007 :  22:23:36  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I looked through Kuje's composed files of Ed's replies here at Candlekeep.com (See here: So saith Ed) for anything on Cormyr. Thank you Kuje for your work on the replies of the old hairy one and THO. Made my work a lot easier. Now, this is what I came up with so following seekers might just look here instead of doing the search again.

Note: They are not checked for relevance of the content. So it could well be that the answer has no real information but consists only of (irrelevant) musings.

Ed's replies of 2004
March 4th reply about (amongst other topics) Firefall Vale.
March 11th reply about (amongst other topics) the Haunted Halls of Eveningstar.
March 20th reply about how to be a noble in Cormyr.
March 22nd & 23rd reply about the coins of Sembia and Cormyr.
April 8th reply about the Lowlantern Lutes.
April 12th reply about smokepowder in Cormyr.
April 16th reply about (amongst other topics) the destruction of Tilverton
May 16th reply about Elminster and Vangerdahast.
May 18th about (amongst other topics) Arabel.
June 13th reply from THO about the Purple Dragon Highknight prestige class.
June 16th reply about Cormyr's armies.
July 8th reply from THO about property in Cormyr.
July 15th reply about Marsember.
July 17th reply about Marsember and Dungeon 113.
July 18th reply about Marsember.
September 17th reply about Cormyr.
September 22nd reply about Filfaeril and Azoun.
October 4th mailing list reply about Cormyr.
October 7th reply about Cormyr.
October 19th reply about the Curse of the Blood Royal in Cormyr.
October 19th reply about the Waterdeep novel. The radio call in. The Cormyr Mages Royal.
October 20th reply about the -ahast Mages Royal of Cormyr.
October 28th reply from THO about Cormyr's nobles.
October 29th reply about how to become a noble family of Cormyr.
October 31st reply about places in Suzail.

Ed's replies of 2005
January 4th reply about Vangy.
January 9th reply about Cormyr and the War Wizards that further expands on a earlier reply.
January 11th reply that again expands the Cormyr/War Wizard info.
January 25th reply that is about Vangy and the War Wizards.
January 29th reply (amongst other topics) another answer about the War Wizards.
Febuary 1st reply about Vangy and Caladnei.
Febuary 4th reply about the Lords Who Sleep of Cormyr.
Febuary 5th reply about Cormyr and Vangy, etc.
Febuary 9th reply about the Stonelands.
Febuary 14th reply about Cormyr, War Wizards, Vangy, and other info.
Febuary 21st reply about Filfaeril and Azoun IV and the lovers they both have had over the years while still being commited to each other.
Febuary 22nd reply about Cormyr and written works within Cormyr.
March 15th reply about Cormyr, past heads of the War Wizards, and other history of Cormyr.
March 18th reply about Cormyr.
March 24th reply about Cormyr.
April 12th reply about Cormyr.
April 13th reply about Cormyr and how that nation sees the elves.
April 14th reply about the Dwarves of the Earthfast Mountains and, yup, Cormyr.
April 17th reply about Cormyr.
April 19th reply about Arabel after Gondegal's defeat.
April 19th short reply about other Obarskyr heirs.
April 20th reply about Alusair and her lovers.
April 20th reply about Alusair and if she had a child, would it be considered king or queen.
April 20th short reply about Vaerana Hawklyn and her female consort Yanseldara.
April 27th reply about Alusair.
April 30th reply about the Purple Dragons of Cormyr and 'dragonstars' (special honour decorations).
May 2nd reply about Alusair.
May 3rd reply about Alusair and the new leader of the War Wizards and other material.
May 3rd reply from THO about Alusair.
May 4th reply about Alusair.
May 9th about the Lowlantern Lutes.
May 11th reply about Cormyr.
May 14th reply about Caladnei and the Harpers.
May 16th reply about Alusair.
May 18th reply from Garen Thal about clerics in Cormyr.
June 6th reply about Caladnei.
June 6th reply from THO about Caladnei.
June 15th and 16th reply about Marsember.
June 20th reply about Cormyr and the Tunlands.
July 4th & 5th reply about Alusair.
August 3rd reply about Cormyr and who rules the settlements.
August 29th reply about the Seven Sisters. Gary Gygax. Cormyr.
August 29th reply from Garen Thal about Cormyr.
August 31st reply about some of the nobles of Cormyr.
September 18th reply about the local lords of Cormyr.
September 28th, 29th & 30th reply about the guilds of Cormyr.
October 1st reply about the guilds of Cormyr.
October 3rd reply about the guilds of Cormyr.
October 3rd reply from Garen Thal about Cormyr's army.
October 7th reply about the guilds of Cormyr.
November 24th reply about the date Azoun died.
December 29th reply about Cormyr's Navy.

Ed's replies of 2006
January 10th reply about the Haunted Halls of Eveningstar.
January 31 reply about the ruling family of Cormyr in Ed's version of FR.
February 5th reply from THO about Cormyr's Royal Lineage.
February 13th reply about the after effects of the Death of a Dragon novel (here).
February 19th reply about Belmuth and Arathra, two of Cormyr's kings.
March 8th reply about the ruins of glass in the Farsea Marches.
March 11th reply from THO about the descriptions of Caladnei and Alusair.
March 26th reply about Cormyr and Alusair.
April 16th reply about different Purple Dragon ranks (the Lancelord, Swordlord, Warcaptain and Boldshield).
April 26th reply about Vangerdahast and his titles.
April 28th reply about how to pronounce Vangey and Vangerdahast.
May 1st reply about shrines/temples of Torm in Cormyr.
May 17th reply about (amongst other topics) Vangerdahast.
May 22nd reply about an error in the 2nd Ed. Cormyr sourcebook, in particular the map of Waymoot and where 'The Cup and the Spoon Inn' (#27) is located.
June 9th reply about the race divisions in Cormyr.
July 14th reply about taxes in Suzail.
July 21st reply about (amongst other topics) Barauble of Cormyr.
July 22nd reply about the existence of dinosaurs in the Stonelands.
August 22nd reply about the Stonelands.
August 26th reply from THO about Vangy and the ToT's.
October 3rd reply from THO about Sembian's being in Cormyr adventuring companies.
October 8th reply about the birthday of the Queen of Cormyr.
October 20th reply from THO about the Highknights of Cormyr.
October 25th reply about the Chondathan names of the various noble titles used in Cormyr.
October 26th reply about what it means to sponser adventurers in Cormyr.
December 5th reply about Alusair. Cormyr. Heirs.
December 25th reply about Loudwater. Cormyr.
December 25th reply about Cormyr's social organization.
December 27th reply about the badges and uniforms of the Blue Dragons of Cormyr.
December 29th reply about are the people in Daerlun friendlier to Cormyr than their trade rivals in Selgaunt and other Sembian cities.
December 30th reply about if Vangerdahast married or had offspring before the events of ELMINSTER'S DAUGHTER.
December 30th reply about if Ed will give us a clearer roster of the noble families of Cormyr by the end of the Knights of Myth Drannor novels.
December 31st reply about a few edible mushrooms that might be picked and sold in the Dales or northern Cormyr.

Ed's replies of 2007
January 5th reply about some of the names of Alusair's swords.
January 8th reply from about the banners of Cormyr's army, surcoats, pennants and insignias.
January 9th reply about the permits that are needed in Amn, Cormyr, Sembia, and Tethyr to make and sell arms and armor.
January 16th reply about courting Alusair if someone wants to be her husband.
January 25th reply about how old was Alusair when she visited the Inn of the Dripping Dagger.
February 1st reply Garen's Cormyr reply.
February 5th reply from THO about peacestrings and those that have unpeacestringed blades in Cormyr.
February 17th reply about (amongst other things) the Haunted Halls of Eveningstar.
February 19th reply about the War Wizards of Cormyr.
March 22nd reply about what a shopkeepering in Suzail would know about the rest of the Realms.
March 23rd reply about a daily and once a week paper in Suzail. NDA's.
March 26th reply about Suzail's poor.
March 31st reply about registering for the portal system in 1360 Cormyr. Baby boom after the Crusaders left.
April 10th reply about language in Cormyr.
April 15th reply about Garen Thal's reply about Caladnei.
April 30th reply about how the cities of Arabel and Marsember generally regard the nobles of the rest of Cormyr, and vice versa.
May 12th reply about Cormyr: A Novel.
May 13th reply about hiring fairs, farmers' markets, horsesellers, and so on outside the city gates in Cormyr.
June 12th and 13th replies about young nobles in Cormyr right now, Realms-time, that most oppose Caladnei or Alusair as Regent.
September 17th reply about how many children Azoun and Filfaeril did have.

Ed's replies of 2008
January 14th reply about the Novel Crown of Fire, in particular how to get into the Hidden House.
January 17th reply about the sewer system of Marsember.
January 30th reply detailing more about the portal that 'also' leads to the Hidden House. (This reply and te one from JAN 14 can also be found on p. 4 of this thread: 'On the Hidden House and its entrance found in Tessaril's Tower')
February 2nd reply Ed details the blazons in POWER OF FAERUN, the last two being interesting for Cormyr.
February 14th reply about a Purple Dragon officer's social life, social occasions, romantic liaisons and tailoring. ('Tis posted on page 4 of this thread as well.)
February 14th replies by Garen Thal elaborating on the above twice (so keep reading ;)).
February 16th (short) reply by THO about gem & mineral wealth of Cormyr.
April 3rd reply about the Cormyr noble family of the 'Illances'.
April 5th reply about the roof conditions of the building in Suzail and any thief activities on them.
April 6th reply on the extent War Wizards and the local Watch keep an eye on criminals.
April 8th reply concerning names and naming children in the Realms, esp. in Cormyr.
April 22nd reply by THO about the exact location of the 'Pillar Rock' (on the Eveningstar Map).
April 24th reply (pr should I call it musings) on Arabel and Marsember succeeding on their own.
May 1st reply on a cormyrean "bugaboo" (the haunted helm).
May 5th replying that "many Cormyreans and Dalefolk of the generation now starting to grow old add “look you” to the end of most utterances."
May 9th reply on pest-banishing or crop fertilizing magic also be the War Wizards.
May 18th reply on joining the War Wizards and the Purple Dragons, on nobles and barbarians in Cormyr, a paladin of Tyr in Cormyr and the attitude of Cormyreans towards genasi (posted on p. 5 of this thread for easy reference).
May 19th reply by THO on Elmister and Khelben Arunsun and their role in the War Wizards.
May 19th reply by THO clarifying the 'genasi in Cormyr'-answer from May 18th.
June 1st reply on which tune Ed used constructing the "The Cormyte's Boast" from Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 165. (It was The Vicar of Braye)
June 19th reply on military contracts in Cormyr.
July 4th reply on my the Crystal Grot (here).
July 5th reply by THO on why Ed created the Crystal Grot.
July 13th reply on hostelry names & taxes on alcoholic bavarages in Cormyr, remembering Azoun IV and of other amazing lore. (re-posted on p. 6 of this thread)
July 18th reply on the Women of the Woods, their leader Vandara "the Vixen" Thulont and more.
July 23rd reply on questions concerning the novel the Swords never sleep with minor touches on Cormyr-lore.
July 26th reply on questions concerning the novel Swords of Eveningstar and the Haunted Halls.
July 27th reply on many different Cormyr-related questions (Women of the Woods, Alusair, Cladnei and more).

No more replies by Ed, THO or others on Cormyr so far. I will try to keep this list as up-to date as possible. Otherwise, please check yourselves at Kuje's composed files (see the link above) or Ed's ongoing discussion thread of the current year (Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)).

Edited by - Ergdusch on 28 Jul 2008 14:46:13
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2007 :  22:56:46  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'm starting an online campaign (Fantasy Grounds) with my long-time players and because of this thread, I've decided to start it in Cormyr
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2007 :  23:04:39  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

I'm starting an online campaign (Fantasy Grounds) with my long-time players and because of this thread, I've decided to start it in Cormyr

Great to hear that, Skeptic. If you stumble on anything that has not been mentioned here, please stop by again to make it known to us.

BTW, I am scanning the complete replies by Ed about cormyr more in detail now and will post them in some way or the other. have not decided yet, but you'll eventually see...

Ergdusch

Edited by - Ergdusch on 12 Sep 2007 23:07:18
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2007 :  23:13:42  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've noticed you have included Garen Thal's answers about Cormyr, what gives him a special "authority" about it ?

Edit : Just to be sure I'm well understood, I'm just curious about it.

Edited by - Skeptic on 12 Sep 2007 23:54:17
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2007 :  23:21:07  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've noticed you have included Garen Thal's answers about Cormyr, what gives him a special "authority" about it ?

Garen (Brian Cortijo) is a true Master of Realmslore, who has consulted (from time to time, I believe) with Ed on all matters Cormyrean. I have no doubt that his knowledge on the subject is second only to Ed.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  01:36:35  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If Garen Thal muses about Cormyr, I pay as much attention as when Ed does the same thing.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  08:16:20  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What Asgetrion said is quite correct. Garen is "THE" expert when it comes to the kingdom of Cormyr. This is even acknowledged by THO herself in some of her answers IIRC. How this exactly came about I don't know myself. Maybe the Sage or someone else can tell you more on that. However, recalling Galens insight to Cormyr I found it appropriate to include his answers as well (as did Kuje in his project).

Edited by - Ergdusch on 18 Jan 2008 08:53:35
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  13:10:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe we should just let Garen explain how his own relationship with Forest Kingdom developed.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  21:14:49  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
What Asgetrion said is quite correct. Galen is "THE" expert when it comes to the kingdom of Cormyr. This is even acknowledged by THO herself in some of her answers IIRC. How this exactly came about I don't know myself. Maybe the Sage or someone else can tell you more on that. However, recalling Galens insight to Cormyr I found it appropriate to include his answers as well (as did Kuje in his project).
"Garen," dear Ergdusch. It's Garen. "Galen" is an overused generic fantasy name, so much so that Wizards' Author Submission Guidelines, for a number of years, included a warning not to name one's protagonist Galen.

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
Maybe we should just let Garen explain how his own relationship with Forest Kingdom developed.
Aye, maybe we should...

Esentially, the story goes thus: I was participating in an online game set in the Forgotten Realms, the main hubs of which were Waterdeep, Shadodale and Arabel. Playing a Cormyrean character (the one for whom I'm named here on the boards), I found that I needed more information in order to better appreciate the game portray my character--especially since the DMs of said game were railroading me into positions of greater authority. So I read up, and studied, and absorbed every bit of Ed and Jeff's Cormyr: A Novel, and started becoming more active in a few online communities related to the Realms--this was prior to my involvement in Candlekeep.

Eventually, I became a bit of an expert, having studied so much and become so involved in FR in general and Cormyr in particular. I was fortunate enough to get my grubby little hands on an important behind-the-scenes document called the Royal Lineage of Cormyr, and began putting together my own files to try and flesh out the holes in Cormyrean Realmslore--like a contained discussion about the military, for example. Through a friend, I had a number of these files passed along to Ed, who expressed his general approval of the work and its contents.

Since then, Ed and I have had a number of conversations and email exchanges regarding the Forest Kingdom, its past, and its future. I've also made a number of public statements of opinion on Cormyr, most of which have received Ed's confirmation. I have a small portion of Champions of Valor that I wrote (on the Red Ravens and Alliance of Freesailors, both Cormyrean groups), and a ton of stuff I've worked on floating around on my and others' computers, waiting for the right moment to share it. I'm also "keeper of the Blood Royal," in a way, because I'm the present steward of the Royal Lineage, which gets updated every time another bit of lore comes out related to the House Obarskyr.

Ed has consistently proclaimed me the "foremost living expert on Cormyr"--though I assure all readers that I slew no one to attain the title, and don't really desire it. I appreciate the fact that Ed, and others, have such great confidence in my understanding of the setting, but a number of other scribes have come before me to detail the Forest Kingdom and do much unheralded work, among them Grant Christie, Bryon Wischstadt, and Tom Costa. That's not to mention all the hard work and realms nuggets generated by Ed, Eric Boyd, George Krashos, and the staffers of TSR and WotC, down the years. I am but a vessel for the wisdom of others.

Really, what I do with Cormyr is little different from what most DMs do with the primary locale of their own campaigns: I study, I see what information is out there, decide what's "right" if certain facts conflict, and fill in the blanks based on what I feel best fits the spirit of the area. I have the advantage of not having to cater to the particular tastes of a specific gaming group, and the greater advantages of being able to pester Ed with my ideas and have him confirm or deny my suspicions, to view a few of the older bits and files, and nudge him ever so slightly in directions I might wish. Essentially, though, nothing that I do with Cormyr is anything greater or more involved than what a hundred DMs do with their own Realms games on a weekly basis. I just talk about it more, and more publicly, than most.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  22:12:10  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
"Garen," dear Ergdusch. It's Garen. "Galen" is an overused generic fantasy name, so much so that Wizards' Author Submission Guidelines, for a number of years, included a warning not to name one's protagonist Galen.

My deep apologies, dear Garen! Please consider it no more than a 'typo'.

And thanks for your reply clearing up your involvement in all that is Cormyrian!

Edited by - Ergdusch on 13 Sep 2007 22:18:25
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  23:23:38  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Thanks Garen.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  23:54:13  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well that certainly ended my day on a high, Garen ::wanders off chuckling::

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2007 :  00:58:22  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, Garen, thank you for sharing your story.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2007 :  01:57:44  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All are welcome. I consider it a privelege to work on any corner of the Realms to any degree. Telling people how I get to do it can only encourage more to work hard and show their love and devotion to the setting. We will always need more Lorelords.

And please, don't tease Ergdusch overmuch. The mistake is a common one (imagine correcting someone seven times in a ten minute online conversation) precisely because of the overuse of the name in novels and games. It's only an online handle, anyway--my name is still Brian--so I'm never offended if someone gets it wrong. Just a bit amused.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2007 :  02:49:59  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And please, don't tease Ergdusch overmuch.

Define 'overmuch'!

Seriously, I would never dream of teasing a guy whose avatar is a half-orc!

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

turox
Learned Scribe

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2007 :  04:36:49  Show Profile  Visit turox's Homepage Send turox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And please, don't tease Ergdusch overmuch. The mistake is a common one (imagine correcting someone seven times in a ten minute online conversation) precisely because of the overuse of the name in novels and games. It's only an online handle, anyway--my name is still Brian--so I'm never offended if someone gets it wrong. Just a bit amused.

Oh don't worry Brain we won't tease the half-orc all that much. Besides I have always lived with "If you aren't being picked on then then it just means they don't like you.

Turox Antas Dragonslayer -
"People will believe anything they want to believe, or fear to believe."
Wizard's First Rule: Chapter 36, Page #397, US Hard Cover (revealed by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander).
Explanation by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander: "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2007 :  07:35:55  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just kept up my research... ignoring the mockery altogether.

I added the Cormyr-related Realmslore articles of Ed Greenwood to the list of sources in the first post. Now you know why this thread is on the active list!

Moreover, I will start a list of Maps on Cormyr. So, if you can think of any sourcebooks and especially in any novels, that feature maps of cormyr please list them up by:

place - source - page

Ergdusch

Edited by - Ergdusch on 24 Sep 2007 09:40:39
Go to Top of Page

Germelia
Acolyte

Netherlands
2 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2007 :  12:01:55  Show Profile  Visit Germelia's Homepage Send Germelia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a general map of Cormyr in "Beyond the high road"

Cormyr - "Beyond the High road" - page 0 (left of page 1)

Chocolate? Yes please.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2007 :  08:06:55  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll post this reply of Ed from Feb. 13, 2006, dealing with the aftermath of the Devil Dragon as I personally find it very interesting and therefore share it here for all to read, instead of having each and everyone dig through all of Ed's Cormyr replies.

quote:
Hello again, fellow scribes of the Realms.
This time Ed will no doubt please both Mkhaiwati and Sanishiver by tackling Mkhaiwati's eight questions:

1. The Path of the goblin army and Devil Dragon. In the Death of a Dragon, there is a fight at Calantar's bridge after Arabel is lost. Looking at the maps, the easiest way for a retreating army would be along Calantar's Way, and I would assume the goblins and dragons followed. What happened to Blisterfoot Inn, Immersea, and Hilp (which Volo mentions has a wall)? Would anything be left, or would the goblins ignore since they were being driven by the Dragon?
Ed replies: Blisterfoot Inn was pillaged (and all livestock devoured) after the folk there fled, but not torched or destroyed. Hilp and Immersea were largely bypassed, though the swift-moving goblins did slay everyone they saw and pillaged where they could - - and the goblins struck so lightly because they were indeed being driven on, hard, by the Devil Dragon.

2. What percent of Cormyr is still blighted at the time of Elminster's Daughter? I seem to recall that the cleric of Chauntea saying something along the lines that if they discovered the ruined fields early, they could repair them.
Ed replies: By the time of ELMINSTER'S DAUGHTER, Cormyr's farms are only about 8 percent blighted: in the wake of the defeat of the Devil Dragon, Filfaeril called in some favours, and the priests of Cormyr pleaded with their brethren - - and the call was heard and heeded: clergy of Chauntea, Eldath, and Silvanus came to the Forest Kingdom and worked tirelessly together for some months to "turn the tide."

3. What happened to the Red Raven company in Arabel? Did they try to fight the goblins and get destroyed or did they flee and regroup later?
Ed replies: The Red Ravens fought the goblins and took heavy losses until the decision was made to empty the city by the magical means seen in DEATH OF THE DRAGON, whereupon War Wizards bolstering the Purple Dragons as a rearguard on the Arabel end of the link allowed the exhausted Raven survivors to flee through the link to Suzail (they were in fact ORDERED to get out). As a result, they're back in Arabel now, and busily rebuilding.

4. For that matter, what is the current policy towards adventurers in Cormyr, still the status quo? I ask because on one hand Cormyr really would need help with the Stonelands and roving bands of goblins, but on the other hand, with Gondegal in everyone's minds, would they (Alusair) actually be more strict towards adventurers, feeling that with Cormyr weakened parties of armed adventurers could make more trouble?
Ed replies: Alusair is as strict with adventurers as her father was: meaning, she comes down hard on those who don't report in, don't peacebond, and don't get charters if they're residents, but turns a smilingly blind eye to adventurers who hurl spells and draw blades in aid of anyone against marauding monsters, brigand attacks, and the like. She's VERY wary of adventurers turning brigand or becoming the sponsored "swordstrike" forces of ambitious nobles seeking to take advantage of the weakened realm, and has opened the coffers (drawing on the Crystal Grot) to hire adventurers she (or her mother, through Dove and other regular Harper contacts; you'll see a glimpse of what Filfaeril's been up to, down the years, in SWORDS OF EVENINGSTAR) "knows" and trusts. So a lot of adventuring bands, each closely watched over by War Wizards to make sure they don't "go bad," are busy in the northeastern part of the realm right now.
The Harpers, the royal foresters, the War Wizards, and the Purple Dragons have all teamed up in a hitherto-unknown close and cordial manner, to scour out the King's Forest of goblins, monsters, and other perils, and are well on their way to doing so (the Hullack, I'm afraid, is another matter). That's not to say things are back to normal, yet, but the "dozens of beast raids every night" that typified conditions in locales "in the shadow of the Forest" in the days after Azoun's death have faded to one or two every few nights.
In Marsember, the authorities are VERY keen-eyed and intolerant of weapons and skulking, but in Suzail, the war against the Devil Dragon has made everyone a little more relaxed when they see a sword or dagger discreetly sheathed at a belt (folk no longer run to tell the authorities, they just keep a quiet eye on openly-armed folk, to make sure no one draws steel). Moreover, adventurers buying arms or coming to Cormyr to seek commissions as bodyguards, caravan escorts, and "scour-outers" for private estates in the countryside are welcomed far more than before. Purple Dragons still stop armed bands riding past and ask to see charters or commissions, but are far more friendly while doing so, and faster to accept explanations like: "We're on our way to see Lord Truesilver right now to obtain the commission he said he wanted to hire us for, when we met last month in Daerlun."

5. What actually is the policy towards mages. In the Cormyr accessory, is says every mage of 5th level on up needs to register, but it seems (I could be mistaken) that I read in a later publication that it was every mage, or just Cormyr born, or something different (memory is a tricky thing).
Ed replies: Every arcane spellcaster must, by law, register with the Crown (or, if passing through the realm, inform Purple Dragon officers or local lords of their names, reasons for being in the realm, and where exactly they intend to go in Cormyr). Children can, of course, plead ignorance of their powers, as can sorcerers of all ages who don't hurl magic where they can be seen by a War Wizard or Purple Dragon, or someone who'll report them to such folk. Ignorance of the law is no real defense for anyone, but obvious outlanders who aren't seen using magic for hostile purposes tend to get a stern warning and forcible registration, these days, rather than automatic "jail and then deportation." Those who can hide their spellbooks and scrolls (by having someone else in their party carry them, for example) can claim to have given up wizardry after having their minds harmed during the "Devil Dragon War," but they'd better not be seen hurling spells around if they want to escape detention or worse. Suzail is the most tolerant place in the Realm for such transgressions, Marsember (and the guest quarters at High Horn) the worst, with Arabel close behind. A day's ride east of Arabel, the law of Cormyr now ends, it's considered lawless country, and so even Purple Dragon patrols will expect groups of travelers to be well-armed and ready to fight (in other words, they're not enforcing registration, peacebonding, or anything of the sort in the vicinity of Tilverton, which in practical terms is no longer within the reach of Cormyrean law; rather, the 'law of the sword' applies).

6. Which power groups still operate in the Stonelands? In my mind, I would think the Zhents would still be there, but might be pushed out by the Shadovar if the Shadovar thought they could weaken Cormyr. Of ocurse, the Shadovar would also operate behind the scenes and maybe just have the Zhents thinking they still have control of the Stonelands.
Ed replies: Bingo: your speculation "the Shadovar would also operate behind the scenes and maybe just have the Zhents thinking they still have control of the Stonelands" is spot-on correct. The Zhents are still operating there, and (as usual) skirmishing in the Stonelands with Harpers, adventurers sent out by Cormyr, and the like, but (although they don't know this) are doing so purely at the pleasure of the Shadovar, who are hiding behind them whilst proceeding with something covert nearby in the region which is firmly NDA'd.

7. How about the "Pauper's Town" and bands of refugees near Arabel that are presented in the last of the Archwizards book. What becomes of them? How long did it take for conditions to even become close to being normal (or at least as normal as it could be in Cormyr)?
Ed replies: The refugees were swiftly and forcibly resettled in Arabel and other areas around it that suffered heavy casualties from the goblins. This process went quickly and smoothly because Vangerdahast set his War Wizards to mind-controlling anyone who objected. Few did, because most were only too glad to step into ready accommodations and jobs before a hard winter could hit them. So, no more Pauper's Town or refugee camps or addled / desperate scavenging wanderers, which is the way Alusair wanted things, as swiftly as possible (because having such would aid unrest and provide cover for any brigands, Sembian or Zhent expansions, or any other mischief anyone schemed into being regarding the borders of her realm).

8. I expect a BIG NDA here, but what about Tilverton? A story in Realms of Shadow presents a view of a nasty Tilverton that could at least still be entered and exited, but other sources (Campaign Setting, Doorway to Everywhere adventure in Dungeon) suggest that anyone going in does not come out. I don't expect a full rundown of what is going on, but instead how it is best to incorporate the ruins into the world would be good, as well of a good description."
Ed replies: Always happy to oblige expectations: behold (splot!) one bright, bold, robust NDA, right in your lap. Treat it well, and in time it shall become thy friend. :}
Tilverton is a shattered ruin, in a permanent gloom (a fog-like shadow, by night and day), wherein many opportunistic monsters prowl and undead created in the devastation roam - - and the Shadovar watch, magically capturing those who interest them and letting others fight the perils of the ruins and find what fates they may. So most who go in don't come out. Adventurers had best defeat monsters with a minimum of splashy magic, or they'll be "collected" by watching Shadovar. Those adventurers who go in and prevail against the dangers can find a lot of little treasure (coinage) that can survive explosions and building collapses relatively unscathed but shouldn't expect to find any magic that the Shadovar haven't left as lures or tracer-items. Of course, folk in Faerûn don't know any of this; I'm just murmuring it in confidence to you the omniscient DM. :}
Anyone desiring to rebuild, inhabit, or refound Tilverton is destined for swift doom and disapppointment, and there's a lot more to come in the future for Tilver's Gap, the Shadovar, and [oooh, there's that NDA again - - see how shiny 'tis? Um! Sharp, too!]

So said Ed.......

Edited by - Ergdusch on 05 Mar 2008 09:22:45
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2007 :  01:20:52  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That means that one can step in the destroyed Tilvetron? if this is true i can perhaps a lot of adventuring parties and rogue mercenaries are trying their luck in the ruins, trying to scavage loot or gathering information?. Like a new (city) dungeon the type of Myth Drannor?
I am a bit confussed...
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2007 :  11:14:16  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would guess that your understanding of this situation is quite correct. However, Tilverton has not so much to offer as a lost elven city in ruins. Therefore, I would asume that not as many people travel to tilverton as the dangers are to high for the gain to be achieved. Moreover, the fact that the entire city is covered by a huge globe shadow that noone really knows anything about and cannot pierce with magic will prevent some of those more reasonable persons from even trying.

Therefore I would guess not as many adventurers would try their luck, IMHO.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2007 :  01:36:20  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Charisbonde's sex change was due to a crisis in his faith, and a penance/challenge from the deity that he accepted, thereby redeeming himself in the eyes of the god. This was an event in the "home" Realms campaign (that incidentally fooled two Zhent assassins who came looking for Charisbonde, and didn't recognize him in his new gender).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2007 :  08:47:23  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Charisbonde's sex change was due to a crisis in his faith, and a penance/challenge from the deity that he accepted, thereby redeeming himself in the eyes of the god. This was an event in the "home" Realms campaign (that incidentally fooled two Zhent assassins who came looking for Charisbonde, and didn't recognize him in his new gender).
love to all,
THO

*WOW*... a very nice piece of lore! I'd like to hear more stories from the "home" Realms, anytime! (I especially enjoyed the one about Mourngrym appearing as a tattooed woman).

Can you tell us whether the events taking place in 'Swords of Dragonfire' are the same as that story you've shared with us about an innkeeper (and his relatives) wearing certain magical masks? (I *seem* to remember that there were Zhents and War Wizards and skulking Knights of Myth Drannor in the night in that one, too! )

BTW, can you tell us more about the nature of the crisis Charisbonde went through? I was also wondering about where the dead are buried in Eveningstar (presumably not on the Temple Grounds?). And finally: is there anything you could tell us about the tomb complex within 'Pillar Rock'?

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2007 :  09:43:16  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

love to all,
THO

Thanks THO for tuning in on this thread. Any info on Cormyr by is much appreciated, especially by you (if not demanded ).

Ergdusch

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2007 :  19:51:00  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I added the Wyvernspur Family Lineage done by Garen Thal, which I found at another thread here in Candlekeep, to the list of web goddies. Great work, Garen!

I wonder: Are there any other such ieces of lore that you kept from us so far and are willing to share.......?

Ergdusch

Edited by - Ergdusch on 07 Oct 2007 19:51:42
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2007 :  20:13:37  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I added the Wyvernspur Family Lineage done by Garen Thal, which I found at another thread here in Candlekeep, to the list of web goddies. Great work, Garen!

I wonder: Are there any other such ieces of lore that you kept from us so far and are willing to share.......?

Ergdusch

Sadly, yes.

I say "sadly" because the great majority of lore I have squirreled away is drawn from conversations and files that are not part of published Realmslore or subject to NDAs, from bugging Ed and gleaning answers from what he doesn't say, or pure guesswork. Most of the time, I get things right (or so I'm told), but I'm reluctant to share any lore that isn't both consistent with what's been published and permissable for me to share.

So, for the moment, nothing from me. Sorry, folks.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000