Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2008 :  03:24:59  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Ed,

A belated happy birthday sir! May your sword stay sharp (take that as you may hehe), your wineskin full, and Reamls continue to bring YOU wonderment and joy! See you in a few weeks.
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2008 :  04:57:55  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message
Indeed, happy birthday Ed, and many thanks for the replies.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

Talwyn
Learned Scribe

Australia
222 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2008 :  05:10:53  Show Profile  Visit Talwyn's Homepage Send Talwyn a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Talwyn

Greetings THO & Ed,

my question to Ed is this:

in a campaign I am involved in, I play a paladin of Torm. Now one of the duties of the faithful of Torm is that they help out all goodly faiths as best they can. My paladin has come across a small shrine of Eilistraee's and it's small number of priestesses and faithful. Of course he didn't detect evil in the shrines residents but it took him a bit of time to overcome his racial prejudice towards drow. He has now installed himself as a defender of the temple and its members as part of the 3 duties as he interprets them.
How would the clergy of the main temple in Tantras, and Torm himself react to this and would they support his decision to defend and aid a non human god and her followers?

I realise that Torm is more often than not set on battling Bane and other great evil deities however I'd have thought he may have taken an interest in seeing one of Faeruns more evil races being turned away from their path of darkness and would at least give some support to Eilistraee.
Also is there any examples of deities of differing races lending their help to each other in recent realms history?

Once again thanks to THO for that piece of lore in repect to Tymora's splendid mammories

Best wishes

Talwyn

I'd like to expand this question on the Tormish religeon if I may.
Since's Torm's return after ToT, it's been noted that he's church has been incresing in popularity through Faerun. Now because Tantras lost many of it's citizens who sacrificed themselves to aid Torm defeat Bane, where did the new priests and paladins come from?
Also, what is *ahem* the missionary position of the church of Torm? Do they activity send out preachers from Tantras to spread the gospel of the True God? Also, if Torm has assumed greater god status by taking over Tyr's portfolio, does that mean the temples that were previously dedicated to Tyr and Helm are now being devoted to Torm? If so, which would be the main temples or seat of the high priest of the faith? Would it still be Tantras or would it be one of Tyr's major temples?
With Torm being a native to Toril who has assumed godhood, does he still frequently walk the realms now he's ascended to greater status?
How is the church of Torm dealing with the massive influx of new follwers and how is it managing this enormous responsibility without falling back into the problems it had during the ToT? And now that Torm has taken over from Helm & Tyr, how has the rest of Faerun reacted to Torm being probably the most powerful of the good deities?

Once again thanks for taking the time to answer all the questions the community here have put to you and I wish you a belated but happy birthday Ed, may your year be fuilled with many wonderful and interesting events.

Oh, one final question and this is to THO: did Ed base Eilistraee on you?

All the best

Talwyn

Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on.
Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun.
EAT LEADEN DEATH DEMON!
Terry Pratchett

Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2008 :  05:11:25  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message

*jumps on the bandwagon (the one playing happy birthday, of course!)*

Happy Birthday Ed!

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2008 :  05:42:19  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message
Happy 29th Annual 21st Birthday!

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2008 :  05:52:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Talwyn

Also, what is *ahem* the missionary position of the church of Torm?

Best question I've seen in months!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2008 :  08:18:12  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Happy Birthday !
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2008 :  11:21:19  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message
Happy belated Birthday to Ed

Thanks for the Realms young whippersnapper
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2008 :  14:19:31  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
Maybe a little late, but Happy Birthday Ed.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2008 :  16:24:48  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Also a bit late to the party (it takes some time to cross the Atlantic, even at this time of year), but Happy Birthday Ed.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2008 :  17:37:47  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Well again

A question (or two, or three, or....) relating to The Swords of Eveningstar book if I may? (I have just read it for about the 8th time, its great!)

Speera and Vangy can't scry the Swords when they enter the Haunted Halls yet Whisper can do so from his Crypt as the Swords blund, errr explore the Halls . Is this a localised effect? (i.e. you can scry within the Halls but not from without?) or does scrying not work at all unless you find your way around the wards somehow (as Whisper has)? Do the anti-scrying wards extend to other spells and prayers related to divination?

On pg 252 of the paperback version is a small piece I have entirely missed before. Sarhthor teleports to the Stonelands and is musing on Whisper and his accomplishments and he states that Whisper has taken his Zhentarim name from Whisper's Crypt and that the crypt is not named after him. Do I take it that all Zhentarim Wizards have another name given to them/chosen by them when they join the Brotherhood? (for instance would this mean that Manshoon, Sarhthor, Hesperdan etc are not their given (birth) names etc).

Which then leads to, who was the original Whisper? or is the name a corruption of The Whispering Crypt (or something similar) given that it is infested with undead?

Re Whisper, he is listed in the OGBS as an evoker (Magic User Level 2 as was in 1E), but seems to command greater magic than that (Chain Lightning* on the Chuul etc), was this a misprint (level 2) and it should have been 12 (which would explain the 6th level spell) or was his command of the Art entirely down to Mhzentul's rings and other magic items he had located in the Stonelands?

A final question (a 'what if' really), realted to the end of the book when Khelben offers the Pendant of Ashaba to the Swords. During the gameplay session was there any hesitation on the part of the players to accept the gift? and what if they had declined Khelbens offer, what next for them? Am wondering here about long term DM campaign planning. As a DM I think through the 'what if's' of the critical moments upcoming in the ongoing campaign and try to come up with a few answers/plots/solutions dependant on what the players might do/say etc. Would be interested to know how far you plan in advance? (I think I can guess the answer, but am still curious).

Thanks and best wishes

Damian
ps a belated happy birthday

pps *am assuming it is not poetic licence but the spell, though it might be entirely a different spell given Ed's very extensive home-brewed spells!

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 24 Jul 2008 22:57:10
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2008 :  20:31:21  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Well, as Ed says, you're only as old as the one who feels you . . .

*checks that door is wide open*
*kicks*

Would you like to be 41?

And happy birthday, Ed.

Okay, I will add a question:
I am trying to find a bit of background on Countess Mirabeta, and what her power base is in Sembia. Like, what is she a countess of? How old is she, and was her last name also Selkirk? How do the common people see her? She sounds like an interesting character (opposite Miklos).

Edited by - gomez on 24 Jul 2008 20:58:27
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2008 :  22:30:29  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message
Only stepping to give it: Happy birthday, Ed!!!

My world is much better because of the Realms, and this is your fault, so I´m very happy to salute you with the best of the dwarven beers, and the best of my wishes!

Alaundo, where are the CDGs???

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Agnitio Veridicus
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2008 :  23:02:36  Show Profile  Visit Agnitio Veridicus's Homepage Send Agnitio Veridicus a Private Message
Master Greenwood,

In your short story "The Grinning Ghost of Taverton Hall", our favorite Highknight Glarasteer Rhauligan is marked. I wondered if the marks had any sort of magical or supernatural significance?

Respectfully,
Agnitio Veridicus
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2008 :  01:10:02  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by gomez

Okay, I will add a question:
I am trying to find a bit of background on Countess Mirabeta, and what her power base is in Sembia. Like, what is she a countess of? How old is she, and was her last name also Selkirk? How do the common people see her? She sounds like an interesting character (opposite Miklos).

I'd like to mention that Paul Kemp's Twilight War series has updates on Mirabeta and Miklos Selkirk.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2008 :  02:07:07  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
Somehow I missed it too, so a very Happy Birthday, Mr. Greenwood.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2008 :  05:26:23  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

A quick question that's just come up... Ed wouldn't happen to be responsible for the two NPC write ups in the Loudwater except of the FRCG recently published on the Wizard's site?

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2008 :  16:16:59  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
Happy Birthday Ed!

Who do you remeber as being the first character you created that ended up in the Realms and how young were you? How much have they changed, if any over the years?
Also what was the first Place you created That ended up in the Realms and how has it changed?
I also would be interested in those questions regarding your non- realms creations!

Thank you for putting up with the cacophony of all us scribes ving for another succulent morsel of lore to fall from your table for us to ravenously devour before it hits the floor , for another year!!

P.S. Besides Sugar and Spice.....just what is THO made of?

edit: Sp

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 25 Jul 2008 20:01:06
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2008 :  22:58:32  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, scribes!
I bring to you once again the words of Ed of the Greenwood (and a few of mine own, forsooth) in regards to another of his marathon multi-scribes half-replies, a clearing of the decks as it were, so as to tackle more weighty queries.
Without further ado, I’m going to answer Talwyn about whether or not he based the drow deity of Eilistraee on me, and then hand all of you over to the Words of Ed.
Talwyn, Ed based Eilistraee (when a TSR editor commanded he create “a good-aligned drow deity, focused on surface-dwelling drow”) on quite a bundle of design notions and favourite fantasy elements and real-world things, including Tolkien’s delight in his wife dancing for him in the forest, which J.R.R. in turn drew upon for Luthien (I’m sorry that I can’t reproduce the proper accent marks here), in his LOTR root tale of Beren and Luthien. At least three other real-world females, including me, are echoed in various aspects of the Dark Dancer. And you’re very welcome for the mammaries lore. (Ed will soon get to your Torm-related questions, Talwyn.)

As for the rest of the queries, Ed speaks:

Hello to all scribes.
To all who wished me happy birthday, thanks very much. I’ve been largely ignoring birthdays these last few years (except for letting family spoil me with a nice dinner at a restaurant somewhere), but these darned computers help friends remember for me!
To Alorin and others who will be at GenCon (THO informs me that The Sage can’t be with us, but that I must make up for that to the Lady Kazandra!), I hope to see you all there!
And you’re all very welcome for the Realmslore replies. Of which, here are some more light and quick ones:

gomez, I’m afraid I’m going to say nothing about Countess Mirabeta (whose surname bears a striking resemblance to that of a certain WotC editor; no, I didn’t create the character), thanks to NDAs (Rinonalyrna Fathomlin’s post tells you why). I, too, hope to soon be able to speak more freely about 4e places and characters, but as I haven’t created many of the people, I feel less than comfortable pontificating about them rather than referring you to their creators.

Agnitio Veridicus, the marks that Highknight Glarasteer Rhauligan gains in "The Grinning Ghost of Taverton Hall" are indeed significant, but I’m going to duck behind NDAs again as to precisely why for the nonce, for the sake of possible future Glarasteer Rhauligan tales. Perhaps I should term them “hope-for” Rhauligan stories.

Zandilar, I’ll get back to you soon with more about the Women of the Wood (and your latest responses re. them). No, I am not responsible for those two Loudwater NPC writeups, as it happens.

To The Red Walker: Mirt the Moneylender was the first character I created who later featured in the Realms. I was age 6 at the time, and he was arriving in a nameless coastal city that soon became Waterdeep, coming hastily from Neverwinter, and soon departing for Scornubel (chased by various creditors, thieves, and rival swindlers). I knew these cities were on “the Sword Coast” right from the beginning, but these cities got their names (Waterdeep first) a few months later. Silverymoon, Amn, and the High Forest soon followed, plus Calimshan and the idea of the great gulf that holds Tharsult and is bordered by the Tashalar. Then came The Sea of Fallen Stars, the Moonsea, the Dalelands, Cormyr, and the Realms gaining ITS name, in 1967.
Yet my main focus stayed on all the merchants and the shady traders and rulers who interacted with them, on ships and the coastal caravan routes, along the Sword Coast, for quite some time. (Most of the other places were “where merchants came from, or were heading to.”) The first Realms story I finished was “One Comes, Unheralded, to Zirta” (which has been published in THE BEST OF THE REALMS VOLUME II: THE STORIES OF ED GREENWOOD). The D&D® game didn’t come along until 1974 (and really only started to reach a wider public in 1975), and I only truly fell under its spell in 1978.
Neither Mirt nor those initial places have really changed all that much, over the years. They’ve become increasingly detailed, yes, and acquired an ever-growing history of events and ongoing minor changes, but their essential natures are just as I first imagined them.
And as for what THO is made of, I’d say love and lust and daring, iron-hard nerves and laughter, soft, soft . . . er, shoulders and softer caresses . . . and a tongue that never quits.
Or so (he added hastily) I’m told. :}

Cato the Elder, thanks for the kind words. Your Llorkh questions are complicated by the fact that I haven’t ready access to some of the past RPGA (Green Regent) details about this (yes, created by me) Realms locale. If any scribe can provide such (a Word .doc file sent to THO, perhaps?) I can “square” that with my lore notes, and come up with something.

Baleful Avatar, I don’t run Wizards (nor yet Hasbro’s licensing arms), and so can’t tell you at all what future computer games may hold. As for non-computer-game coverage of things, I’d love to see Neverwinter detailed AND a Cormyr sourcebook, so if I was running Wizards, those things would happen as quickly as I could make them happen. Yet of course I don’t, so I’ll pass your requests along to the right Wizards folks, and we’ll see.

Broken Helm, your guess about being able to get bowstrings easily in all of the dales is quite correct (though the folk of Archendale are reluctant to sell such to anyone they don’t like the look of, which is apparently most non-Arkhen). As for the lute, hand-harp, and yarting: these strings are made in many, many places around the Realms, but those for sale in the Dales most often come from Saerloun or its immediate surroundings in Sembia, yes. Hand-harp strings are almost as easy to come by as bowstrings, but lute and yarting strings are always available in Deepingdale, almost always available in Battledale, Featherdale, and Harrowdale, usually available in Mistledale and Shadowdale, and are “uncommon to rare” elsewhere in the Dales.

So saith Ed. Who will return with more “divers answers” when he can, but looks most likely to tackle Damian’s (crazedventurers’) SWORDS OF EVENINGSTAR queries next.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 25 Jul 2008 22:59:58
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2008 :  00:23:18  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Hi again, Ed and THO. My question this time is a "what if you ran Realms book publishing" one.
If you could feature any Realms characters, places, or events/times in Realms novels (written by you or anyone) over the next few years, what would you highlight first?
I guess another way of asking it is: of YOUR Realms, what do you feel has been most neglected in fiction so far, neglect that should speedily be addressed?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2008 :  01:22:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

(THO informs me that The Sage can’t be with us, but that I must make up for that to the Lady Kazandra!)
Oooh! I'll have to warn her about behaving herself then.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2008 :  01:37:19  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. Badly, I hope. Ed can be as flirtatious as I can.
Ahem.
Hello again, all. As promised, the words of Ed in response to these queries from crazedventurers: “Well again. A question (or two, or three, or....) relating to The Swords of Eveningstar book if I may? (I have just read it for about the 8th time, it’s great!)
Speera and Vangy can't scry the Swords when they enter the Haunted Halls yet Whisper can do so from his Crypt as the Swords blund, errr explore the Halls. Is this a localised effect? (i.e. you can scry within the Halls but not from without?) Or does scrying not work at all unless you find your way around the wards somehow (as Whisper has)? Do the anti-scrying wards extend to other spells and prayers related to divination?
On pg 252 of the paperback version is a small piece I have entirely missed before. Sarhthor teleports to the Stonelands and is musing on Whisper and his accomplishments and he states that Whisper has taken his Zhentarim name from Whisper's Crypt and that the crypt is not named after him. Do I take it that all Zhentarim Wizards have another name given to them/chosen by them when they join the Brotherhood? (for instance would this mean that Manshoon, Sarhthor, Hesperdan etc are not their given (birth) names etc).
Which then leads to, who was the original Whisper? or is the name a corruption of The Whispering Crypt (or something similar) given that it is infested with undead?
Re Whisper, he is listed in the OGBS as an evoker (Magic User Level 2 as was in 1E), but seems to command greater magic than that (Chain Lightning* on the Chuul etc), was this a misprint (level 2) and it should have been 12 (which would explain the 6th level spell) or was his command of the Art entirely down to Mhzentul's rings and other magic items he had located in the Stonelands?
A final question (a 'what if' really), related to the end of the book when Khelben offers the Pendant of Ashaba to the Swords. During the gameplay session was there any hesitation on the part of the players to accept the gift? And what if they had declined Khelbens offer, what next for them? Am wondering here about long term DM campaign planning. As a DM I think through the 'what if's' of the critical moments upcoming in the ongoing campaign and try to come up with a few answers/plots/solutions dependant on what the players might do/say etc. Would be interested to know how far you plan in advance? (I think I can guess the answer, but am still curious).
Thanks and best wishes,
Damian
ps a belated happy birthday
pps *am assuming it is not poetic licence but the spell, though it might be entirely a different spell given Ed's very extensive home-brewed spells!”

Ed replies:

Hi, Damian. Great questions, as usual.
No one can scry into the Haunted Halls by any known means thus far attempted, nor penetrate into the Halls with any divination magics thus far attempted, thanks to the way the wards were crafted (they “reflect” such spells back at the source but are then re-intercepted by the wards and sent back, in an endless volleying that results in “no readings at all” at the caster’s end. Whoever did this, and how, is now forgotten (except, presumably, by Azuth, Mystra, and any of her Servants who might have been involved with casting, augmenting, or repairing the wards at some time).
Again, I want to stress that the wards might not block all such magics, but have blocked all of those sorts of ‘spying’ magics thus far tried.
Yes, you CAN use of all those magics successfully within the Halls (not from inside to Halls to outside, but to another part of the Halls - - and Whisper’s Crypt really IS a farflung ‘arm’ of the Halls, as far as the wards are concerned.

No, all Zhentarim mages do NOT have a “special Brotherhood name.” A few have taken “bolder, cooler” names by personal choice when first attempting to join the ranks of the Zhentarim (usually because they are dissatisfied with their birth name for some reason), but it’s not a practice encouraged by the Brotherhood, done all that often, or undertaken to denote being accepted into (or achieving a rank within) the Brotherhood.
In this specific case, Whisper was a long-ago wizard of middling power (9th to 12th level, I believe) who fashioned his own tomb out of a “hidehold” he’d constructed for himself, earlier in life, and was interred there.
This is in the bygone days when few humans dwelt in the area, and elves dominated (Whisper was the “classic” sort of mage who wants to dwell and study in isolation, far from fellow humans who might pester, and built himself a tower in a desolate, rocky part of the Stonelands that doesn’t survive; a dragon tore it apart after his death to take any treasure that might lie therein, and to make of it a roost and perhaps nest for breeding). This “first” Whisper’s real name is now forgotten; in life, he used the nickname given to him for his normal speaking voice, which was a hissing, menacing-sounding (even when he wasn’t trying to sound menacing) whisper.
His remains had vanished (no one knows where or how; if he became undead, he never returned to “haunt” his tomb) by the time a much later Zhentarim mageling (novice wizard of low power) happened upon them after being ordered to the vicinity of Eveningstar to be the local Zhent spy and “safehold keeper” (host of a place where visiting Zhentarim members could hide in). The mageling took the name (and fell, impressive “villain behind much” reputation in local folklore of the original Whisper, which was probably largely undeserved) of Whisper, and gained much power from the magic items he found in the Crypt.

Whisper’s 2nd level status is not a misprint; he gained not just the original Whisper’s magic, but the Seven Lost Rings you refer to, and many other tomb-treasures and hidden treasure caches he found in the Stonelands, and used these items to wield Art far above his trained mastery. So, yes, he is using Chain Lightning, but it does come from a magic item (a ring of spell storing, if I remember rightly, but it could also have been from other items in the large pile he amassed).

When Khelben offered the Pendant of Ashaba to the Swords, there was a lot of hesitation (Florin outright declined, there was a lot of ‘after YOU, Alphonse/No, I insist, after YOU’ stuff, and of course the Knights later fobbed it off on young Mourngrym so he could sit and rule whilst they returned to the “freedom” of adventuring).
Yes, I do plan multiple outcomes ahead of time, tied to various PC responses (but modified during play as I roleplay the NPCs and react to EXACTLY what the PCs do and say). Not too far ahead of time, because details depend on the specifics of the confrontation or other situation, but then I already know the overall goals and aims of all major NPCs involved, power groups, and governments.
If the PCs had declined Khelben’s offer, he would have gravely accepted this, then eliminated any PCs he found most evil or set against its acceptance (Pennae, definitely, and quite likely Semoor), and arranged to have someone else (a beautiful female Harper, perhaps) offer them the Pendant elsewhere, under different circumstances. If they’d refused then, he’d have begun “pressure to get them to move on from Cormyr” from one direction, and magically whisking the Pendant into their saddlebags or putting it among spare armor or down a boot among their spare footwear, and so on, trying to “wear them down” or frighten them into accepting it. (When dealing with young adventurers, Khelben is very much an “end justifies the means” guy, trying to teach said “dangerous younglings” their “proper place” in the wider scheme of things.

Hope this is of help, and thanks for the birthday wishes. I sure feel a” hunnert and two t’day, by gum.” Of course, that might be something to do with the six-full-plates family feast I had at a Mandarin last night. :}

So saith Ed. Who I once saw eat an entire LARGE smoked salmon, all but the bones (yes, eyes and skin included) at one sitting. Really smoked, mind, not this “chemical bath” nonsense diners must so often endure now. (As for eating entire shrimp rings, that’s something he does at least four times a year.) Good thing he’s watching his portions, eh?
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2008 :  02:30:14  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
Thank you for the fascinating answer via THO Ed! I was always curious as to "how it all started". I hope I get a chance to shake your hand and thank you in person at GenCon, and hopefully snap a pic or two for Alaundo to post hear at the 'keep!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2008 :  02:49:45  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Hope this is of help,

Very much so, the lore about the First Whisper was especially kind and more than I hoped for, thank you.

Interesting comments re Khelben and his 'use' of novice types, (and more so relating to Semoor!). Got to love the old salt you always now where you stand with him (normally somewhere 'uncomfortable' ).

Thanks Ed and THO for the speedy response once more

Lammath Drios

Damian
who is off to bed to dream about getting out FRQ1 and running it again

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

maransreth
Learned Scribe

Australia
157 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2008 :  04:42:22  Show Profile Send maransreth a Private Message
Howdy all, esp Lady THO and Sir Ed!

Silly question, but one that popped inro my head while attempting to settle one of my 1 month old twin girls -

Do dummies (pacifiers, etc - what you put into a baby's mouth to quiet them) exist in the realms? If so, what would they be made of? Is there a difference along racial lines?

Also baby related - lullabies. Have you ever written any lullabies/nursery rhymes specifically for the realms?

Enjoy your weekend!
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2008 :  08:39:55  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message
Late but as the saying goes: better late than never, me thinks!

All the best to your birthday, Ed. (Who does ever start counting his years, by the way?!? Elminster certainly doesn't! )

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2008 :  15:48:47  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, maransreth. Yes, Ed has written lullabies, both in Elvish and Common (heh; English). And yes, pacifiers do exist, though as I recall most folks just use one of their own knuckles (smallest fingers of their hands, usually), thrust into the babe's mouth. However, Ed will provide the definitive reply, of course; your query has gone off to him. When last I spoke with him, he was in the middle of writing a chapter of ARCH WIZARD, his next Solaris book.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 26 Jul 2008 16:04:33
Go to Top of Page

A Gavel
Seeker

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2008 :  03:16:22  Show Profile  Visit A Gavel's Homepage Send A Gavel a Private Message
I have another Ed query, please.
I have always thought there's much untold about Asper (Mirt's wife and former ward) that Ed knows and has written down, in the past, and we just haven't seen it.
Is this true, and if so, when might we learn more? Can (ahem, he asked slyly) Ed share anything, er, now?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2008 :  03:25:06  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. This time I bring two replies from Ed.
First, A Publishing Lackey asked this: “Can Ed say anything yet about his future Realms novel plans? Or is he deep in negotiations or constrained by NDAs?”
To this, Ed makes reply:

No, I can’t . . . because, yes, I am. :}

So saith Ed. Right, there you have it. This next reply, however, conveys something of more meat and interest to divers scribes. It is a response to Broken Helm’s recent query: “Hi Ed and THO. I’m looking for the names of a few prominent merchants in just-pre-Spellplague Corm Orp. I don’t need stats, just names and what they do, and I was hoping to find individuals, not large, well-established halfling families. Thanks!”
Ed replies:

Sure. Here goes:
• Onder Halivan [aging human male; has a large staff, is long-established and prosperous, and so has invested in many area shops and local rental housing] (custom wagonmaking, wagon repairs, wagon and harness sales)
• Laryndur Mrantaveth [charismatic, glib halfling male from Amn; not liked by the long-established local halfling families because he undercuts their prices; a tireless “wheeler-dealer” type, and handsome and agile to boot] (panderer [equivalent to pimp, but acts as a landlord to his working girls, and is NOT violent or domineering towards them], moneylender, “shady deeds done for coins,” importer of spirits [and, say, his rivals, “tainter” and “mixer” of inferior spirits], owns a local oddjob carpentry crew of ex-adventurers and other hardened misfits)
• Dahessa Darwinter [elderly human female who has used magic to restore her wrinkled and sagging looks; loves the caresses and company of young, handsome, vigorous men, and is very wealthy, though she has little coin, preferring to invest in land and crops sewn and reaped by others; has a large staff of her loyal daughters and adopted daughters, who “take care of” any man who seeks to bully or coerce ‘Old Dahessa’] (rental landlord, farm investor, maker of jewelry, dealer in curios, antiquities, and monster body parts and essences, maker of scents and healing ointments, herbalist and herb-grower)
• Sardeeyr Hallowhyl [half-elf male of stunning good looks and ruthless morals, who came from Tethyr to escape justice and is rumored to have murdered dozens of rivals and creditors there; has magic items, including ‘dancing’ weapons and rings that give them the powers of flight and short-range teleportation, that aid him in defending himself; has taken care to ‘behave himself’ since arriving in Corm Orp four seasons ago, but also made certain word got around about his past] (owns a firm of human and gnome builders who specialize in cellars, stone buildings, secret passages, and irrigation drains, is a fabrics and clothing dealer [specializing in stolen goods], and is an expert archer who runs an archery school)
• Andelorna Mrakephethaer [“Murr-RAKE-feath-air” half-elf female of great age and many scars, retired from adventuring to become a ‘lady of sophistication’ who dabbles in the arts, pays attention to Sword Coast events, politics, and fashions, and seems to have a nigh-inexhaustible stream of funds from Athkatlan rents and other Amnian investments] (owns a furniture making and repair works, is a dealer in tapestries, rugs, and draperies, breeds and sells horses, and owns a local cheese factory and many goats and dairy cattle)
• Thormgorn Beltreth [human male of middling age and weatherbeaten looks, retired from adventuring in the Vilhon and Tethyr and the Shaar; has a small staff who are intensely loyal to him] (armorer, weapons dealer, ironmonger and smith, specializing in ironbound doors, barred iron window-frames, and heavy-duty hasps, hinges, and lockplates)

So saith Ed. Whew. Instant potted NPCs, served up hot and ready. No stats, as per request, but there are the all-important “story” bases of the characters, which is all most DMs really need. I see some Corm Orp forays in certain Realms players’ futures.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 27 Jul 2008 03:26:44
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2008 :  03:29:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
First off, Happy B-Day (a little late, sorry).

Next, a question NOT about the Realms, but about Ed's relationship with it, and one that you, THO, might be able to answer for him

It came up over at the WotC boards that almost all the questions here are pre-Spellplague, and I answered that it was because he CAN'T talk about 4e (NDAs and all that). Another poster suggested he might be able to answer post-Spellplague questions AFTER the release of the FRCG next month.

Is that so? Or has his contractural agreement with them changed (different company, VERY different setting, etc..)

Can he answer questions about the new setting, or should we keep all queries here based 'in the past', as it were?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Jul 2008 03:31:26
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000