Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2006)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2006 :  00:17:44  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Oh, Ed knows that, all right.
<SNIP>
So he’ll get to them, unless the gods take him from us first. Promise.
(No matter how lovingly I have to persuade him. And you know how lovingly THAT can be.)
love to all,
THO

Which is why, given that I have an electronic line to the man, I don't e-mail Ed except in the direst of Realmslore emergencies or when I've got something for him to read which may let him put his feet up for five minutes and a smile on his face. Everytime my mouse cursor hovers over the "Send" button I inwardly wince, thinking of the hundreds of similar messages that'll be arriving along with it.

And yet Ed always is eager and cheerful to help out and respond. The man is a gem.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2006 :  01:07:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Awwww, George. How nicely said. He is, indeed.
Hi again, fellow scribes. This time, Ed gives createvmind’s mirror questions the exhaustive treatment. Here’s createvmind:
“I was curious as to the nature of mirrors in the realms, I seek to make use of them in a spell but I'm not clear if they are "true mirrors" in the sense of what we use in RL. Also are mirrors rare across the lands and would a true mirror give people pause, create superstitions, I'm assuming Barbarians of most races would find mirrors disconcerting etc.... If I had a spell that created a wall of mirrors before a group of low to medium intelligent humanoid monsters would that give them pause. Do mirrors reflect any type of magic rays, spells besides the obvious like light spells, I'm assuming a ray of light before a mirror would be reflected back at caster. Are Faerun mirrors crafted well enough, flat surface, etc..... to be able to do such things describe above. More importantly who makes mirrors and what would the cost be of a very well crafted medium person full length mirror?”
And here’s Ed’s reply:

Hi! Most mirrors in the Realms are an everbright or similar glossy reflective silver metal coating ON METAL (as opposed to most modern real-world mirrors, which are silvered glass, subject to breakage and to “foxing” (damp or even mold attacking the reflective coating). So their images tend to be “softer” (less sharp and precise in outline) than our modern real-world mirrors, though they function just fine (yes, as “true mirrors” in the RL sense, too).
Mirrors aren’t particularly rare. LARGE mirrors are, because they’re expensive and heavy (if metal) or fragile (if glass). So every peddler, most priests, and most women of what we might call middle or upper class will have hand-mirrors (shaped metal reflectors, the size of their faces or smaller, fashioned all of one piece, handle and ‘glass.’ Shopkeepers and wealthy and noble persons are quite likely to own one or more stand-up, ankle to head mirrors, set in tilt-frames (what is often called a “cheval glass” in our real world), and put one in each robing room or bedchamber.
Certain folk believe (with justification, in the form of tales spread about spells) that spells, souls, and even fell creatures can be ‘trapped’ and stored, either imprisoned or for stealthy release at some opportune later time, and may be wary of a magic-using stranger with a mirror, or a mirror positioned in a room (or carried by a being) they’re already apprehensive about. Barbarian tribes of the North are among these “wary” folk, though it’s the rural folk of the South who fear mirrors more (thanks to more fell tales about mirrors making the rounds of the coasts of The Shining Sea and the Golden Water).
Anyone (barbarian, humanoid monster, or otherwise) will be disconcerted by mirrors suddenly appearing where they aren’t expected - - because “everybody knows” magic is everywhere in the Realms, and this is obviously magic (potentially - - and even if sudden, ‘probably’ - - hostile), right? Are these traps I can get sucked into, or a foe will step out of?
So, yes, “a spell that created a wall of mirrors before a group of low to medium intelligent humanoid monsters would” certainly “give them pause.” They wouldn’t fear the mirrors so much as they fear whatever force or intellect that put them there, and the aims or intent that mirror-provider might be pursuing. Unintelligent monsters are startled and spooked by anything that appears suddenly, and anything that presents an image of themselves (or something they perceive not as themselves but rather as a specimen of their own kind) to them is something that will spark fear or apprehension or anger (or all three).
As for “Do mirrors reflect any type of magic rays, spells besides the obvious like light spells, I'm assuming a ray of light before a mirror would be reflected back at caster,” my response can only be: some do, some don’t, and there’s only one way to find out. Usually non-magical mirrors can’t “beat” magic, but magic that can by its own nature be deflected or reflected will be. Most Faerûnian mirrors are crafted well enough to reflect, “bend” light, and even focus light (this is a world of gemcutters, remember), though it should always be remembered that crafting a land lens that magnifies is easy; crafting one that magnifies by a particular amount or degree is hard, and it’s even harder to make identical lenses. (Which is why a jeweler’s loupe costs 20 gp in D&D, and a magnifying glass 100 gp.)
Most Faerûnian mirrors have a curved-back-at-the-edges cross-section and aren’t deliberately fashioned to be concave or convex (i.e. they’re not intentional “funhouse-distortion” mirrors), and they can get scratched or marred readily. If made by someone not skilled and practiced in making mirrors, they tend to have a slightly ‘rippled’ surface (like modern real-world bathroom tiles that are glossy-bright but have surfaces that aren’t quite flat).
Armorers make mirrors (and train their apprentices to practice buffing armor to a sheen by having them work on mirrors). Finesmiths and glaziers make mirrors, and in some towns and cities other crafters “also do” mirrors - - folk you might not expect to make mirrors, but their guild somehow took up this field long ago, and of course will never willingly relinquish it. See Table 4-2 in the ARMS AND EQUIPMENT GUIDE: mirror-makers and repairers can include any or all of: armorer, brazier, coffinmaker (in a thorp, hamlet, or village only), coppersmith, gemcutter, goldsmith, horner (rarely, usually in small settlements where folk ‘double up’ on professions), jeweler, limner, locksmith (rarely), pewterer (note that everyday pewter can’t take a reflective finish, but superior pewterers can concoct pewter-like alloys that can; these tend to be brittle, especially in cold temperatures), polisher, sculptor, silversmith, weaponsmith.
Prices of mirrors vary with demand, time taken to fashion them, the skill of the maker (i.e. what else they could be earning, if they used the mirrorcrafting time for something else) and the cost of the base materials, of course, but a “new” steel hand mirror, in good condition, costs 10 gp (DMG Table 3-8), and a really classy, decorated large masterwork mirror 200 gp (note that a masterwork heavy steel shield, on the same DMG table, costs 170 gp, so an unadorned mirror would be in the same range, probably 150 gp, and extrapolate up from that for the adornment). “Rainbow” reflection mirrors, and magical mirrors, of course, go up in price from that base area.
So your “very well crafted medium person full length mirror,” of steel but unadorned, would be about 150 gp (mounted in its own standup frame, and with fitted wooden protective carry-covers). The mirror alone, probably 120 gp. The mirror “blank” (unpolished), or a marred mirror, 80 to 100 gp. Smaller or larger sizes would of course affect these ranges, too.
Note that really small mirrors, sewn into clothing (such as the sleeves and bodices of eyecatching gowns), soar up in price from mere “small palm-sized or smaller mirrors.” So do matching sets of mirrors.

So saith Ed, who’s (ahem) more than scratched the surface of this bright topic with his reflections. (All right, I’ll stop now. Not mocking the question, just being playful.) More Realmslore next time.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2006 :  01:48:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
There was, in one of the old "Wizards Three" articles, a magical mirror called a spell mirror. 'Twas in "3 Wizards Too Many", Dragon 196. The mirror was introduced by Mordenkainen.

Basically, a spell mirror is a little glass mirror that reflects a single spell (set when the mirror is created). If someone has a spell mirror anywhere on his/her person, it'll reflect that one particular spell off in a random direction.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2006 :  02:40:18  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
Perhaps it might be best if we give Ed a couple of weeks off without adding any further questions to the queue it might help reduce the pile of outstanding realmslore questions.......

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Scarabeus
Acolyte

Canada
27 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2006 :  03:51:02  Show Profile  Visit Scarabeus's Homepage Send Scarabeus a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Perhaps it might be best if we give Ed a couple of weeks off without adding any further questions to the queue it might help reduce the pile of outstanding realmslore questions.......

That's an idea. I myself try to ask as few question as possible since every anwser is precious. Anyway, whatever the question asked, Ed always seems to find a way to make the answer more than interesting. Thus I feed upon is words.

- Scarabeus
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2006 :  05:15:33  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Thank you much, priceless.
Go to Top of Page

Volo
Seeker

Canada
58 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2006 :  09:53:03  Show Profile  Visit Volo's Homepage Send Volo a Private Message
I'm VERY much in favour of a moratorium on new questions until, say, the end of the Olympic games? Consider how much we've already asked of the Great Font of All Knowledge and His Beautiful Herald, and how much is on his plate. We don't want his head to explode, do we?

Volo's misunderstood. He's not an idiot. He's a FLAMING idiot!
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2006 :  13:14:00  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Volo

I'm VERY much in favour of a moratorium on new questions until, say, the end of the Olympic games? Consider how much we've already asked of the Great Font of All Knowledge and His Beautiful Herald, and how much is on his plate. We don't want his head to explode, do we?

TO LATE!

But I support the idea of placing someone over this thread to stop replies to it, while letting THO answer questions by Ed and let him tackle the questions a bit he already has, rather then continuing piling more onto it.

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2006 :  13:55:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Volo

I'm afraid we'd likely need to extend that "couple of weeks off" by a serious margin or two.

I know some of us, myself, Kuje, and a few other scribes still have many outstanding questions posed to Ed from both '04 and '05. It's pretty much the reason why I've put a hold on the eight or so questions to Ed I've got sitting on my desktop at the moment.

I think it's best that we should all just take THO's recent post (on 22 Feb 2006 : 15:45:21) to heart and follow on from there.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2006 :  13:59:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Oh, Ed knows that, all right.
His problem is threefold:
1. Total lack of time. Ed is actively writing or editing SIX projects (plus yours) right now, with another eleven sitting on his desk staring mutely at him, waiting. This means he just CAN’T go off into the basement (or the library of diskettes and Zip disks in his study, either), looking up older Realmslore. It also means he often has to drop everything to deal with emergencies (and the recent WotC layoffs have spawned a lot of those). Ed loves to answer your questions, but he’s as busy as the head of any major company or country - - without having any staff to support him. That means some of the larger-scope questions, or the really, really obscure points, just have to wait.
2. The minefield of constantly-shifting NDAs, and unfolding WotC and Paizo projects and articles Ed is aware of, but can’t publicly talk about. And doesn’t want to screw up.
Many scribes ask about matters that a lot of Realms fans have wanted “cleared up” long ago. Other scribes ask about interesting things unfolding in recent books (e.g. the Shadovar). Still others ask about basics (agricultural practices, land-law).
All of these things SHOULD be answered, and Ed wants to, but often other folks are already at work on answers, or MIGHT answer them as their novel or game sourcebook tromps through relevant real estate, or uses relevant NPCs. So Ed is duty-bound (and legally bound) to keep quiet. Sometimes even admitting that he’s keeping quiet will tip off Realms fans about something in the future that shouldn’t be revealed yet. So he waits…and waits…
3. Rules queries that shouldn’t be directed to Ed in the first place. You know, the “let’s use Ed’s opinion as a weapon in my ongoing argument about X” requests.
4. Questions about the gods, ditto. Yes, Ed created the great majority of deities specific to the FR setting. Yes, he detailed them, and provided spells for them. No, he’s never had the chance to put into print their prayers and rituals properly, or what daily life is like both for a humble priest and for an ambitious upperpriest in the upper echelons of church hierarchy. Yes, he wants to. No, he can’t move on this without WotC cooperation. And everyone, from other fiction writers to WotC designers to every FR fan, has their own, different - - often fiercely different - - ideas of what’s “right” and “true” about the gods. To Ed, most of this (arguing about the Dawn Cataclysm, for example, or Eilistraee) is just like arguing about the weather: fun (when it doesn’t turn nasty), but ultimately useless to the roleplaying experience (mortals can never know the truth, so the truth doesn’t matter: what matters is what priests and fiathful worshippers IN THE REALMS think).
And so on. Yes, these are basics I’m reiterating, but it’s time to repeat them for all. Ed has a huge electronic file of ALL the queries not yet fully answered that have been posed in this thread. Not one gets forgotten, and Ed tries to answer one a day no matter how busy he is. So he’ll get to them, unless the gods take him from us first. Promise.
(No matter how lovingly I have to persuade him. And you know how lovingly THAT can be.)
love to all,
THO

I appreciate Ed sharing this with us THO, as it helps to put this whole "Questions for Ed" into a perspective that many scribes sometimes do not fully appreciate.

In fact, Big Al I wonder if maybe, this particular post from Ed should perhaps be repeated elsewhere here at Candlekeep (on the first page of this scroll for example). At least, to give all potential posters to this scroll a fair idea of what to expect when they pose their question -- a guideline for example, for posting questions to Ed.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2006 :  15:09:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
No, folks, no. Don’t stop sending questions; Ed loves them, and the more “easy” ones that cross his desk, the more he can answer right away.
Meaning: some scribes happen to ask about matters Ed has just researched, thought about, or created material for, either for our home campaign or to help a WotC staffer or licensee. The latter matters are themselves NDA, of course, but Ed’s a clever lad, and can usually spin you SOME sort of answer that doesn’t offend against the NDA or do what the NDA is designed to prevent: tip everyone off about whatever the future official project is.
I just thought Kuje’s gentle joking reminder was a good cue to remind scribes why Ed can’t “receive-question-answer-question” in any discernable order. Ed is in danger of falling silent again due to workload, but if scribes answering questions fall silent, too, everything will just grind to a halt.
Ed’s a guy, and guys are like magpies or kittens: their attention and interest is easily drawn by bright, shiny, new objects.
So keep those new bright shinies coming. . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2006 :  15:33:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

No, folks, no. Don’t stop sending questions; Ed loves them, and the more “easy” ones that cross his desk, the more he can answer right away.
Meaning: some scribes happen to ask about matters Ed has just researched, thought about, or created material for, either for our home campaign or to help a WotC staffer or licensee. The latter matters are themselves NDA, of course, but Ed’s a clever lad, and can usually spin you SOME sort of answer that doesn’t offend against the NDA or do what the NDA is designed to prevent: tip everyone off about whatever the future official project is.
I just thought Kuje’s gentle joking reminder was a good cue to remind scribes why Ed can’t “receive-question-answer-question” in any discernable order. Ed is in danger of falling silent again due to workload, but if scribes answering questions fall silent, too, everything will just grind to a halt.
Ed’s a guy, and guys are like magpies or kittens: their attention and interest is easily drawn by bright, shiny, new objects.
So keep those new bright shinies coming. . . .
love to all,
THO

Agreed -- definitely agreed.

And for the record, I wasn't advocating a halt to questions for Ed... merely that potential posters be made aware of the comments THO posted above about what Ed can and cannot answer and as a suitable point to show scribes something more than just what Kuje said earlier -- "You gotta have patience, he'll get to it."

This is more substantial at least, and gives posters a fair idea of what to expect .

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2006 :  16:08:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Hey, not all of us guys are lik -- ooh, what's that?

Of course, that does explain the buckles on certain types of attire...

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 23 Feb 2006 16:09:35
Go to Top of Page

At your Behest
Acolyte

Germany
46 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2006 :  17:05:39  Show Profile  Visit At your Behest's Homepage Send At your Behest a Private Message
Bonjour THO&Ed!

I am most intrigued how Marimmar became the infamous "Mage Most Magnificent" (from Spellfire for those who don't know him).
Hell Ed I loved to read about him (as I devoured...errr...enjoyed all the rest of the Series, but this guy was just sooo special [at least for me] ).
A pity that his fate was sealed so early in the story.
@ our Hooded Lady Herald: Did you ever meet that guy during your adventures ?
Thank you both very much in advance I highly appreciate all your efforts to supply the lore-hungry travelers at our cozy little keep .
Any spotted language mistakes may be denounced but not blamed on me, it is not my native tongue...

Until we meet again!

Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn.

Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yeah, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land.
Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.

Edited by - At your Behest on 24 Feb 2006 11:44:13
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2006 :  00:50:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh-heh. Yes, we met Marimmar, all right. He was staring so hard at the bosom of a local tavern dancer that she pulled open her bodice, snapped, "Like 'em? Can't have 'em!" and restored things to place and went on, leaving him going purple.
Hi again, fellow scribes. George (she whispered breathlessly), I hope you’ve noticed how I ahhh, RESTRAINED myself in not replying to the recent opening you left me, about your contortions.
And as for this, from Foxhelm: “Perhaps that’s the next anthology: Realms of Elminster. Another best of Ed Greenwood anthology.” I have to say: don’t tempt the man. Actually, he’s too busy with divers top-secret projects right now to even contemplate such a thing. REALMS OF WAR is the next “Realms of” anthology (though it’s currently just that title, nothing more; Ed apparently knows the title of the one after that, too, and also who the next ‘Best of’ anthology features {no, it’s not Ed; it’s someone else’s turn}).
This time, Ed tries to answer Mkhaiwati’s question: “When children (or adults for that matter) are being taught writing, math, geometry, gem-magic powered rocket science, whatever: What do they write upon? Do they use wax tablets, chalkboards, paper, etc?”
Ed replies:

Kentinal was quite right in posting: “It depends. FR has all the materials you list. Regional aspects both culture and resouces will effect what is available for writing.” As it happens, this is a topic I just wrote up for the Realmslore columns on the WotC website, so ere long my answer should appear there, but I’m afraid it’s NDA here and now.

So saith Ed. Sorry, Mkhaiwati, but this is one of those unfortunate coincidences. Sigh.
love to all,
THO

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2006 :  01:31:33  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, fellow scribes. George (she whispered breathlessly), I hope you’ve noticed how I ahhh, RESTRAINED myself in not replying to the recent opening you left me, about your contortions.
love to all,
THO

Considering "restraint" may not be THO's forte, I don't know whether to be thankful or offended!

On other matters, considering that we may have overloaded Ed somewhat (still waiting for my lore on Ilmater ... ), a question to THO popped into my head the other day when reading about Torm's activities in Waterdeep. It seems like some of the KoMD engage in solo adventures. If so, how did Ed handle such situations as DM and how did you know what was going on as players? Did you learn about Torm's adventures "in character", from him presumably, or did you learn of them OOC and just separate game and outside-game stories from what your character "knows"?

Oh, and one last question: Did the KoMD ever fight or face off against any dragons (the evnts in the novel "Spellfire" obviously not included)?

Thanks THO, to quote my younger cousin: "You rock!".

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Rolindin
Acolyte

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2006 :  05:21:14  Show Profile  Visit Rolindin's Homepage Send Rolindin a Private Message
Question about Slivermoon and it's history, How far back to fallen cilivations does the city go.
as far back as netheril, or further?
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2006 :  06:14:54  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
A rope bridge is built across Silverymoon Ford in 384 DR, and by 574 DR the site has grown into a small trading community.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Athenon
Acolyte

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2006 :  06:29:32  Show Profile  Visit Athenon's Homepage Send Athenon a Private Message
Ed and THO,

I just got the WotC module "Red Hand of Doom." Overall it seems like a really good product. Being the diehard Realms fan that I am, I was most pleased to see that Mr. Baker wrote it to be dropped into the Realms in the area east of Shiertalar, the area that I believe is referred to as the Channath Vale. I'm curious to know what you envision the culture of the inhabitants to be like. It seems like an area of the Realms that has so far been undocumented. Your musings would be greatly appreciated!

Also, any chance we'll see "Elminster Speaks" back at GenCon this year?

Thanks!

Will Maranto

Representing the Realms in the Wilds of Northern Louisiana

Edited by - Athenon on 24 Feb 2006 06:33:03
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2006 :  17:31:23  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:

REALMS OF WAR is the next “Realms of” anthology (though it’s currently just that title, nothing more; Ed apparently knows the title of the one after that, too, and also who the next ‘Best of’ anthology features {no, it’s not Ed; it’s someone else’s turn}).

I am anxiously waiting for this one - hopefully it contains short stories of ancient battles, and not just recent ones (such as Azoun's Crusade ;)

I would have LOVED to read another "Best of" from Ed, since I expect that the "The Best of Eddie" sold really well

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2006 :  01:04:20  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. This time, Ed tackles RodOdom’s question: “Baldur's Gate is more centrally located in relation to the North, the nations of the South as well as the Moonshaes. Also the River Chionthar links it to just outside Cormyr. Why then is Waterdeep of greater wealth and importance than Baldur's Gate?”
Ed replies:

The primary reason Waterdeep grew to outstrip Baldur’s Gate in wealth and importance is its location: for years it was the best “free port” (meaning a port open to all, not just particular captains or vessels of specific races or nationalities) for ships from more southerly lands and cities to reach the great mineral wealth (and abundant herd animals and timber, too) of the Sword Coast North. That same wealth drives much of the commerce in the area even today.
Mirabar, Luskan, and Neverwinter are alternative ports now, of course, but thanks to winter ice, the natures of those who rule those places and control their wharves, and orc and barbarian attacks on the routes from those places into the interior, they have never been able to equal the ease of trade, and hence prosperity, of Waterdeep.
Once Waterdeep became a large, tolerant, cosmopolitan trading center, its success “fed on itself,” and it grew very swiftly in size, with a population of crafters and investors who could collectively provide not just a vital market, but ready connections to a ‘black market’ and the goods of the Underdark (via Skullport), and a means of working with goods to create “value added” goods (in real-world terms; what I mean here is that Waterdhavians don’t just buy and sell uncut gems, they can cut the gems into dazzlingly marketable form, and also craft elaborate jewelry with them; or take raw ore and not just smelt it into metal, but forge and otherwise craft fine metal tools, or counterfeit coins). All of this made Waterdeep far more attractive to seacaptains than the smaller, more isolated market of Baldur’s Gate, which hadn’t much to offer aside from the curios its farsailing explorers brought back, except for goods (crops and livestock) that many, many ports can provide.
You’re overestimating the importance of overland trade between the Sword Coast and the Sea of Fallen Stars, back at the time Waterdeep was founded and started to grow so swiftly. The River Chionthar was and remains a dangerous route, now dominated by Scornubel (a link with north-south overland trade into the Sword Coast North), and earlier by Iriaebor. Because goods out of the Sword Coast interior were more needed (by the hungry lands and cities of Calimshan and The Shining Sea coasts) than goods flowing into the interior, and because what is now Amn (so close to Baldur’s Gate) sought to dominate this trade, and could easily outspend its next-door rival north of the mountains, relatively-isolated Baldur’s Gate was secondary to other trade routes that bypassed it.
Again, Baldur’s Gate (and its hinterland) lacked huge stands of timber, and most importantly, lots of metal and gems, whereas those things poured through Waterdeep.
Baldur’s Gate is growing in both size and population now, but Waterdeep has established its preeminence long since. Part of the reason Baldur’s Gate “lost the battle,” as it were, is that its seacaptains sought to compete fiercely with the merchant shippers of Amn, the Moonshaes, Tethyr, Calimshan, and everyone else, whereas Waterdeep welcomed everyone, and initially had only local inshore fishing fleets, hosting the ships of everyone else rather than competing. Many noble families and wealthy merchants of Waterdeep have their own fleets now, of course, but for years Mintarn and the Moonshaes saw Baldur’s Gate as an unfriendly rival, not a desirable port of call. Waterdeep WAS welcoming, and the shippers could get higher prices for their goods in Waterdeep, because as the Sword Coast North opened up, there were more hungry mouths and needy hands faring forth into the Savage Frontier, than there were settled around Baldur’s Gate.
Amn has always sought to control and dominate the overland trade between the Sword Coast and the Sea of Fallen Stars, and both the Zhents (through Anauroch, or failing that, the Stonelands) and independent caravan costers and merchants (working through Scornubel) have competed with Amn by creating shorter, faster routes. The Chionthar is a shorter, faster route only from Scornubel to the sea, giving Scornubel more influence over Baldur’s Gate than vice versa. So Scornubel grows swiftly, when Baldur’s Gate does not. (Both Waterdeep and Scornubel initially benefitted from somewhat lawless, rough-and-ready conditions conducive to entrepreneurs, whereas Baldur’s Gate had controlling interests that liked to restrict and control, so as to remain ‘on top’ in Baldur’s Gate, and hence were inherently unfriendlier to outlander traders.)
If Baldur’s Gate had been the capital of a militarily-mighty east-west kingdom that included Elturel, Scornubel, and Iriaebor, and there’d been no marauding Zhents or monsters along that route, so they really could have almost touched Cormyr, things might have been very different. But Baldur’s Gate has always stood alone from choice, and so remained smaller and less influential than it might have been.
The series of computer games (and associated novels) have focused more attention on it than it might otherwise have merited (originally, that locale was chosen for the computer games because it was isolated enough that elements presented in the games wouldn’t unavoidably “screw up” the print game products and novels).
In the end, I’m afraid you’ll have to trust me on all of this, RodOdom. I created both places, and all the land and sea around them, and that’s just the way I saw it.
In real-world (as opposed to in-the-Realms) terms, once Baldur’s Gate was given over to licensees (various computer gaming companies and studios), I had to step back from detailing it and spending a lot of time on it (just as I had to avoid Neverwinter and Elturel). So Waterdeep received even MORE attention, in TSR and later WotC novels and game products, and because it was one of the most heavily-detailed parts of my original Realms, other creators (such as Jeff Grubb and Elaine Cunningham) could quickly step in and use it, fall in love with it, and add even more detail that in turn made it more attractive to still other writers. While Baldur’s Gate sat off-limits to us all, and therefore couldn’t be the site of important events outside the computer games. There are NDAs hampering me from detailing Baldur’s Gate even now (see some of my replies in the earlier years of this thread).

So saith Ed, settling things quite thoroughly.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2006 :  01:45:01  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message
I have a humble question for the great, and wise Ed of Greenwood. I saw how you stated ed that the reason minotaurs and psionics is not expressed in the realms is that the powers that be decided to use Krynn and Dark sun for those areas of interest. My question is now that they have killed off Darksun do you ed have any interest in stories, tales, or lore on psionics in the realms especially the Jhaamdath empire. I would like to request something on them verses the Calimport empire for Realms at war if you could manage that. but of course everything you publish is gold so i look forward to what ever you publish.
--a humble follower of the Realms in all its glory.

"Develop the latent abilities within you for that is your power alone. Psionics is the ultimate art of magic and you are its practitioner. Through lifelong dedication, strive to unite your will with your physical form to become one. Only through the unrestrained union of one’s mind and body can the magic of psionics truly be mastered. Throw off the yoke of any who would impose tyranny upon you. Likewise, do not ever force another to submit to your will. Free your mind, free yourself and you have only just begun the path to true psionic mastery. Free others, open their minds to the Invisible Art, and you will show them way to Auppenser."
---Dogma of the Church of Auppenser
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2006 :  19:39:14  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all. Glad to be of help, Nevorick. This time, Ed (who happened to have this topic in mind for WotC Realmslore reasons) starts to tackle Kuje’s query: “I've always wondered about Shyrrhr.

Quick query: ASide from her friends, when speaking of her, is she generally addressed as "Shyrrhr" or "Lady Shyrrhr"?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2006 :  00:18:08  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Thank you so much for your explanation, Mr. Greenwood. The Realms is a living, coherent fantasy world like no other !
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2006 :  00:42:40  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes. This time, Ed tackles createvmind’s questions: “The dwarf bridge called Stone Bridge on the River Dessarin, who lays claim to it, Waterdeep or Yartar? Also what lays claim to or roams the land east of the Graypeak Mountains, basically between the mountains and the River Delimbyr and a mile or so below the waterfall and raised plateau I gather is there. Basically if I sought to establish a town in either one of those places besides the nearby towns/cities what else would I contend it. I see the area above Llorkh and Loudwater as more viable land even though I'm aware of the turmoil in and around it however the NPC wants to secretly build in 1372 and prefers a location that sees little current traffic. A situation he hopes to fix after he has establish a secure-what occurs during building process will be reflective of Dragon rage and of course fiend, demon elf movements,etc..... I don't know if this is contractual stuff but the gem dragon that lives within the Graypeak who does all the scrying would you say he sleeps through the rage or will further info on him come up at the wotc site or in upcoming Dragons of Faerun book?
One more thing, would children born with physical disabilities and left at a monastaries doorstep be trained to the best of their ability despite handicap or just utilized in basic chores? Deaf, mute, blind, deformity etc.......... Is there any sign language of any kind for the deaf that YOU created?
Sorry so here and there but it's actually all relative to me. Thanks.”
Ed replies:

Neither Yartar nor Waterdeep claims The Stone Bridge. There’s a village called Beliard just east of it, and a settlement called Westbridge northwest of it (both detailed in VOLO’S GUIDE TO THE NORTH). Various dwarves from all over Faerûn would rise up and resist you or anyone else establishing a settlement (or even building a keep) closer to the Bridge than Beliard (though you might get away with a small inn or fortified home on the road to Westbridge). It’s a sacred site to most dwarves. Bear in mind also that when orc hordes sweep down the Dessarin, anything in this area gets razed (and no matter what Obould may have done or not done, we’re overdue for another orc horde).
As for the other location you mention: the Zhentarim control the region (RPGA members have played The Green Regent campaign right spang in this area, too) and run armed patrols and little “wagon runs” splitting from, or mustering into, caravans through it regularly. So it’s certainly not an area of “little current traffic,” and they’d be your primary instant foes if you tried to found a town there (they might let you build and then move in brutally to take over, of course, but be aware that their spies and agents would make up most of yours townsfolk, from the beginning). There are also (see my Wyrms of the North series, and Klauth in the FRCS and elsewhere) dragons that raid the Delimibyr valley for food, although the Rage would have them attacking more populous areas (presumably to the death, or tracking on from city to city). As for the effect of the Rage on specific dragons, or the contents of DRAGONS OF FAERUN, sorry: NDA.
Also NDA are the two sign languages and the Gnome language details I created, because TSR/WotC purchased them (though they haven’t yet published them, and have been sitting on them for years, now). Children born with physical disabilities and left at a monastery would be trained both in useful chores (yes, often drudgery like washing dishes, peeling potatoes, and tending and gathering plantstuffs) and instructed in the faith of the god so they could worship the deity as fully as possible. Many faiths view deaf, mute, blind, and deformed individuals as “godstruck” and in a sense holy: they are living tests sent forth by the gods, who judge the living by their treatment of such “godstruck.” So mistreatment of the disabled in a monastery will be rare (less so in the wider world, where many end up as beggars, or shop-slaves in fact if not in name, or “twisted:” freaks, displayed as attractions in shows or used in brothels for specialized pleasures).

So saith Ed. Who’s hard at work on secret Realms projects for our common future entertainment, right now.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

HunterOfStorms
Acolyte

Australia
21 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2006 :  01:41:33  Show Profile  Visit HunterOfStorms's Homepage Send HunterOfStorms a Private Message
Hi Ed, I have another question relating to the Sea of Fallen Stars. I've noticed in the descriptions of Aglarond, that despite the original human settlers of its shores being fisher folk and the concentration of settlements along the coast, Aglarond is not considered to be much of a sea-faring nation - which is fair enough, they don't need to be. However, since they do have a small fleet of warships, I was wondering whether the ships of Aglarond are built in Agalrond, by their own shipwrights, or whether their vessels are commissioned elsewhere by more renowned ship builders. Which brings me to an actual series of questions :) Does Velprintalar have its own shipyards or even just a dry dock for maintenance and repairs? Would it cater to only its own ships or others who might limp into port? Which nations/cities around the Inner Sea are noted for their shipbuilding skills (besides Cormyr, that is)?

On a completely unrelated note (well since it might also relate to sea trade, maybe not) - Are there places known for the quality of raw materials, for example marble. Carrera marble is sought after here, is there an equivalent stone in the Realms? And are there any artists, sculptors or the like, of the reputation of Praxiteles (past or present) who could demand to be supplied with such material and whose names and works would be recognised even halfway across Faerun?

Hmm, I've gone on a bit, better stop now. Once again, thank you for all the lore that weaves a richer tapestry of the Realms.

Hunter
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2006 :  06:32:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Neither Yartar nor Waterdeep claims The Stone Bridge. There’s a village called Beliard just east of it, and a settlement called Westbridge northwest of it (both detailed in VOLO’S GUIDE TO THE NORTH).

And I should like to point out to all interested in this tome that it is one of the many available for free from the Wizards downloads page.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2006 :  23:23:46  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Ed,

This is going to be another one of those weird questions since I'm getting yelled at about it on the WOTC boards.

Someone was asking about the use of the spells that help create life for two people that want to get with child or even spells that create life whole cloth. Or spells that change peoples gender so they can get with child.

The two posters that are arguing with me about it claim that using those spells is unnatural, evil, or in bad taste, when I said that the best way was to use divine magics, which was based on one of your past replies.

Do you care to expand on this and answer on why or why not those spells would not be evil, unnatural, or in bad taste.

Edit 1: I realize, as well, that this is a vague question and it can be answered in many different ways depending on what nation/faith/etc, is being discussed but it seems that the debate was about generalizations about these spells.

Edit 2: Also, I said such spells aren't evil in of themselves and it's how they are used that determines if they are evil but the two posters continue to say that ANY use of those spells to make life is evil, unnatural, and in bad taste.

Edit 3: We also debated back and forth about if a being is created without semen and an egg, is it unnatural. I don't believe that everything has to be created via semen and an egg and such beings that are created without those two things are unnatural.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 27 Feb 2006 18:31:50
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  01:35:17  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all. This time, a swift reply from Ed:

To Jamallo Kreen (and Kuje, and everyone else interested in Shyrrhr): Waterdhavians in general, and Palace officials “officially,” always refer to her, and address her directly in converse, as “Lady Shyrrhr” or “Lady.” Her friends call her “Shyrrhr,” and to her face address her as “Shurr” or even “Softness” (a nickname coined by Mirt some years back; she likes it and it’s now affectionately used by many of her friends, though she seldom shares it with clients).
And to RodOdom: you’re quite welcome, and thanks for the kind words. Yup, I always try to think of the Realms as real, and so treat it as real, and hopefully continuously improve the illusion for us all. May you have years of happy gaming in it!
And while I’m at it, Jamallo Kreen, “Ed of the Green Wood” was coined by THO years ago to refer to the three-acre-or-so forest behind my home (yes, it’s mine, so I suppose you could call it my backyard); she meant that it was a pleasant place to sun herself in the nude, so I guess the “verdant forest” is the right answer, though she hasn’t made love in every last little corner of it yet, so perhaps the OTHER meaning holds true, too. :}

So saith Ed. Ahem. No, I haven’t, and while the snow’s this deep I think I’ll stick to my favourite horizontal treetrunks, and your cozy little cabin . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  18:50:44  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Don't know if another scribe has beaten me to this, but the ninth chapter of Ed's Oroon Rising is up on the WotC website.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000