Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 New covers: Neversfall, Undead and Reclamation
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

O Love
Acolyte

Germany
49 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2007 :  18:59:49  Show Profile  Visit O Love's Homepage Send O Love a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Amazon did an update on some FR novels and their covers:

- "Neversfall": First novel of The Citadels by Ed Gentry
- "Undead": Second novel of The Haunted Lands by Richard Lee Byers
- "Reclamation": Sixth novel of Songs and Swords by Elaine Cunningham

See Forgotten Realms: The Library for the covers and much more...

Enjoy!

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2007 :  22:50:58  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Many thanks, O Love.

Very nice covers indeed. I'm particulary impressed with Neversfall.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2007 :  22:53:31  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Neversfall looked very impressive to me as well.
Go to Top of Page

Renzokuken
Acolyte

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2007 :  00:08:03  Show Profile  Visit Renzokuken's Homepage Send Renzokuken a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually like all of those covers. Very nice color!

Currently reading: Dark Elf Trilogy (FR)
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2007 :  00:25:56  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gorgeous stuff. If that's meant to be Arilyn on the front of Reclamation, it's a very different style with the black armour and purple cloak. I rather like it though!

Edited by - Uzzy on 16 Jul 2007 00:26:45
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2007 :  00:59:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The cover for Reclamation is my favorite of the three covers presented. It has a strong "cover-of-Evermeet" vibe to it, I think.

I wonder whether that was an intentional choice by the artist? Hmmmm.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2007 :  02:20:20  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if the fact her Moonblade is thrust into the snow, as opposed to being wielded by her has any significance, or is just artistic licence?
Go to Top of Page

Seismo
Acolyte

New Zealand
28 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2007 :  07:48:24  Show Profile  Visit Seismo's Homepage Send Seismo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice.
Go to Top of Page

EdGentry
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2007 :  13:21:29  Show Profile  Visit EdGentry's Homepage Send EdGentry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting that, Olaf!

I am so pleased with the Neversfall cover. I'm glad it finally made it up.

The artist is David Seidman. Check out his site: http://www.davidseidman.com/

http://www.edgentry.com
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2007 :  21:31:35  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
nice, any hints what any of these novels are featuring?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

wwwwwww
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  02:03:42  Show Profile  Visit wwwwwww's Homepage Send wwwwwww a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That Reclamation cover is awesome . . . which is especially satisfying considering the horrifying Dream Spheres debacle (i.e. Arilyn looks like a man, Danilo lookes sort of like a woman)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  02:35:07  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

I wonder if the fact her Moonblade is thrust into the snow, as opposed to being wielded by her has any significance, or is just artistic licence?

I'd bet it has significance--at least, that's the impression I get. I like all the covers, especially the Neversfall cover.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Chyron
Learned Scribe

Hong Kong
279 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  06:29:32  Show Profile  Visit Chyron's Homepage Send Chyron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Neversfall is indeed a good design. Is there by chance a complete listing of 'The Citidels' titles to be forthcoming? I would love to see one written on Darkhold.

Just My Thoughts
Chyron :)

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  07:57:37  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chyron

Neversfall is indeed a good design. Is there by chance a complete listing of 'The Citidels' titles to be forthcoming? I would love to see one written on Darkhold.

Well met

Aye, that would certainly make me very happy! I'm quite looking forward to the Citadels series (as with the Dungeons series).

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  08:17:32  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Reclamation looks OK, but still a bit to glossy for my taste. But it is among the better Realms covers I have seen in a while.

The other two does not do much for me.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  15:26:10  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must say I realy like the covers for The Haunted Lands-trilogy so far. Really nice stuff - and as far as covers on Wizards of the Coast-books go, surprisingly "artsy."

The Neversfall cover is okay, but a little to reminiscent of the way Minas Morgul was depicted in the Return of the King movie to gain higher marks from me.

As for Reclamation, I've always been a fan of "classic" fantasy-style art, and this is definately an example of that. Plus, Arilyn walking away from her Moonblade... My anticipation for this novel just increased exponentially.

Oh, and the cover for Dream Spheres clearly is of Arilyn and Elaith

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

O Love
Acolyte

Germany
49 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  18:42:44  Show Profile  Visit O Love's Homepage Send O Love a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't help it but the cover of "Neversfall" reminds me of the "Master of Magic" intro, an old DOS fantasy game...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  00:50:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. It does indeed.

I'm now expecting to see a barrage of fireballs descend from the keep to pummel poor Tauron's army, while he's screaming out "No. NO!"

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 18 Jul 2007 00:51:17
Go to Top of Page

J D Dunsany
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  13:48:08  Show Profile  Visit J D Dunsany's Homepage Send J D Dunsany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I like all three of them - very dramatic. Forgotten Realms covers seem to be less colourful and more... I don't know... 'moody' lately, and that's something of which I wholeheartedly approve. The cover to 'Neversfall' is very striking, in particular. Are those tentacles reaching up to grab the watchtower or are they part of the structure of the building itself? (Forgive me if that question reveals my realmslore ignorance, but then there's still so much I don't know...) As to 'Undead', again a very striking image - will the cover be 'matte' like the last one or will it be 'gloss' as is usually the case with FR novels? (I notice they usually use the 'matte' finish for the Eberron novels.) And the 'Reclamation' cover is, again, very striking. Can't wait till they join my 'to-read' pile!

"How content that young woman looks, don't you think? How content, and yet how flammable." - Lemony Snicket, The Unauthorized Autobiography
Go to Top of Page

EdGentry
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  16:07:24  Show Profile  Visit EdGentry's Homepage Send EdGentry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
JD,
You've certainly shown no ignorance. Only a handful of people (myself, my editor, the artist, etc.) know what the "tentacles" (to use your term and give nothing away) are meant to represent. So you're in the vast majority by not being certain what they represent.

I'm very glad you find the cover striking as I do.

http://www.edgentry.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000