Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The Moonshaes and myriad bits
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2007 :  04:15:45  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I recently became reacquainted with Ed and Jeff Grubb's answers on the incorporation of the Moonshaes (published version) into the Realms.
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/2566/jg-moonshaes.htm

Jeff Grubb said the Moonshaes were to be TSR UK's Dragonlance. Did this mean it was to be a part of Dragonlance or an entirely separate setting?

One question I'm just curious about; has it ever been revealed what Douglas Niles originally name the archipelago in his original concept for his novel/setting?

How far was Ed's Anchorome (various little-charted islands) from the Moonshaes?

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2007 :  02:11:23  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some answers:
When Jeff said that, he meant the Moonshaes (Ed of course coined that name, long before TSR's involvement with the Realms) were originally intended to be a setting for TSR UK to write a series of linked novels and game products ("modules") set in.
Ed has forgotten what name Doug gave to his "Celtic England" setting. He'll check, but it may take some considerable time to get you an answer for this one (we also have to assume that Jeff or Doug remember).
The Anchorome campaign refers to a long series (NOT a geological "chain") of islands that a ship blown off-course (roughly SSW) into the trackless western Sea of Swords would come upon, one after another. So they would start about twice the distance off the Sword Coast that the farthest western part of the Moonshaes are, and stretch on from there.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  03:14:40  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Some answers:
When Jeff said that, he meant the Moonshaes (Ed of course coined that name, long before TSR's involvement with the Realms) were originally intended to be a setting for TSR UK to write a series of linked novels and game products ("modules") set in.

That's interesting, would have been nice to see what that would have become.

quote:
Ed has forgotten what name Doug gave to his "Celtic England" setting. He'll check, but it may take some considerable time to get you an answer for this one (we also have to assume that Jeff or Doug remember).

No worries, this is just a curiosity after all. I would like to find out eventually. The incorporation of their various talents and ideas occurred just about twenty years ago I believe, so it might make a good side topic the next time Ed chats with either Jeff or Doug, perhaps over some good drinks. :)

quote:
The Anchorome campaign refers to a long series (NOT a geological "chain") of islands that a ship blown off-course (roughly SSW) into the trackless western Sea of Swords would come upon, one after another. So they would start about twice the distance off the Sword Coast that the farthest western part of the Moonshaes are, and stretch on from there.
love,
THO

Ah, that clarifies things, I've considered running an Anchorome style game with my small group for quite some time. Thank you Lady Hooded One for taking the time to answer my questions, I appreciate it greatly.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  02:18:05  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A pleasure.
Ed once wrote an article on the Anchorome campaign, describing how a stormwracked ship (mast broken, at mercy of the waves) with PCs aboard could be swept to an invented island of the DM's choice, where the PCs (needing a replacement mast, fresh water, and food) would have no choice but to explore - - and "experience" whatever adventure the DM wanted to inflict on them (these days, a DM could plunder the pages of DUNGEON Magazine). Then off they'd sail, making landfall at the NEXT island with enforced adventure, and so on. I can't recall if TSR ever actually published it, but I don't think so. I remember him doing a long-ago GenCon seminar on it and the audience of gamers getting VERY excited at the possibilities . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000