Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Locations of Fire Giant Regions in Faerun
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2006 :  16:30:20  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey everyone, I'm about to dive into Giantcraft and Lost Empires of Faerun to see if I can come up with some answers (and maybe Underdark and Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark), but does anyone remember off hand if any sources have mentioned Fire Giant kingdoms that might exist either now or in the recent past?

If I can't find an existing one, I'll likely try to follow the migration of the giants after Ostoria fell, but I'd be great if anyone remembers a Fire Giant nation that has already existed.

Thanks all.

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2006 :  17:19:23  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't remember seeing any fire giant kingdoms, but fire giants strongholds are featured in Baldurs Gate II: Throne of Bhaal (the computer game, I have not read the novel) and the Flaming Tower in Power of Faerun.
Also, the City of the Spider Queen featured some fire giants, so that tome may have some clues.

Not very helpful, but there it is.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2006 :  19:57:05  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snotlord

Can't remember seeing any fire giant kingdoms, but fire giants strongholds are featured in Baldurs Gate II: Throne of Bhaal (the computer game, I have not read the novel) and the Flaming Tower in Power of Faerun.
Also, the City of the Spider Queen featured some fire giants, so that tome may have some clues.

Not very helpful, but there it is.

I'd look in various Unther references, specifically FR10, Powers & Pantheons, and the FRCS. I seem to recall some around the Smoking Mountains and Black Ash Plain. (This would be in addition to the black-skinned stone giants.)

There are some fire giants up in Hartsvale (see Giantcraft).

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2006 :  01:34:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While not a kingdom in the classic sense... you also have the Fire Giant Palace on the low plateau which connects to two of the three volcanoes referred to as the Three Sisters.

Source:- Giantcraft

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2006 :  03:49:10  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks all, if anyone else can think of any more, I'd appreciate it, and I'll start digging where I've been directed.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2006 :  19:11:08  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Thanks all, if anyone else can think of any more, I'd appreciate it, and I'll start digging where I've been directed.

Also, a certain upcoming product gives a few new giant kingdom names (all long fallen), although building on them will take some time, as I don't have a place to do so in the immediate future.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2006 :  19:30:34  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would that product by any chance be mysterious in nature?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2006 :  19:57:28  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are a cruel, cruel man Eric, but I am quite happy to hear the news. Since this ties in with my article in the upcoming Compendium, I'll likely just go with the established region in Giantcraft for now, since I don't want to cite something that I came up with and have it not make sense a few months later . . .

Dispite that, I'm pretty happy that there are more giant details coming out. I have a thing for giants, especially fire and frost variety, so its good news.
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2006 :  20:15:20  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If memory serves me well, clan Azerkyn (Shanatar dwarves) lived/lives in the Cloudpeaks (Northern Amn) - the subtle hint in the name to the fire-elemental related Azer and a link to the elemental plane of Fire in said mts would very likely result in Fire Giants living there (it could easily explain the Fire Giants in the computer game, and there are/were two Fire Giants guarding the twin Cyricist towers in Amn).

The whole Lands of Intrigue region was once home to several Giant clans & kingdoms. The wars the dwarves waged against these giants (eventually sending them running from the area) resulted in another 'giant' taking a predominant role: Trolls (Troll mountains)

btw, Something tells me that a certain intrigueing note dropped by Eric Boyd will reference some of these old kingdoms.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2006 :  20:38:19  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had just read the section in Giantcraft that mentioned that Annam sent the Masud and his fire giants to the south for their lands, which would potentially mean that regions like the Lands of Intrigue in the FAR past of Faerun were lands ruled by fire giants. But as I said, since is background material for my Compendium article, I didn't want to throw TOO much conjecture in what I am doing.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2006 :  04:11:56  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think there was mention of a Fire Giant Clan or Homeland near Zhentil Keep.
One of the Towers in the area has a Garrison of Fire Giants.

Can't remember what product or web enhancement though. But it was very recent, in the past year or less.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2006 :  12:02:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

I think there was mention of a Fire Giant Clan or Homeland near Zhentil Keep.
One of the Towers in the area has a Garrison of Fire Giants.

Can't remember what product or web enhancement though. But it was very recent, in the past year or less.

You mean the Flaming Tower and the Temple in the Sky, on page 35 of Power of Faerun?
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2006 :  14:24:51  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

You are a cruel, cruel man Eric, but I am quite happy to hear the news. Since this ties in with my article in the upcoming Compendium, I'll likely just go with the established region in Giantcraft for now, since I don't want to cite something that I came up with and have it not make sense a few months later . . .

Dispite that, I'm pretty happy that there are more giant details coming out. I have a thing for giants, especially fire and frost variety, so its good news.

Just to be clear, it's just a list of giant kingdom names with very little historical grounding. That will have to come later.

As for which product, you'll never wyrm that out of me so easily.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2006 :  15:36:03  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric . . . I'll find out what you mean even if it takes every dragon in Faerun to drag it out of you . . . so to speak.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2006 :  22:23:00  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Eric, didn't you mention Fire Giants living near Kossuth's Eyes in the Small Teeth mountains? I believe you were discussing putting module G1-3 in the south of Faerūn.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  19:31:05  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Just to be clear, it's just a list of giant kingdom names with very little historical grounding. That will have to come later.

--Eric

Unless the product is the upcoming Grand History of the Realms, I do not think the mysterious refernce was published yet - unless the reference did not make the editor's cut...
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  19:51:47  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

--Eric

Unless the product is the upcoming Grand History of the Realms, I do not think the mysterious refernce was published yet - unless the reference did not make the editor's cut...

Dragons of Faerun in the first chapter, IIRC.

--
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  21:31:21  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Duh! ::slaps forehead::

How did I miss that one... Darchar, Grunfesting, Helligheim, Nedeheim, Ostoria, and Rangfell...

Edited by - Mumadar Ibn Huzal on 17 Jul 2007 21:32:32
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  22:43:42  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Grunfesting..... I don't know why.... but it just sounds like a great Giant Kingdom.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  00:10:50  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah... thanks for bringing this up, although it does not help me placing the present day fire giant kingdoms, so I'll stick with the BG II lore.

I liked the kingdom names. Someone's been checking out maps of Norway, I think...
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  05:53:28  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While not present day giant kingdoms, check out Candlekeep Compendium Vol. X for more kingdom names...
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  12:45:48  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I like Grunfesting..... I don't know why.... but it just sounds like a great Giant Kingdom.

Why thank you. I'm glad you liked my 'giant kingdom' names courtesy of a bit of word matching from the "Giantcraft" accessory.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  13:13:02  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it says in the Monster Manual that their natural environment is Warm Mountains. Given that, I would see them more common in the southern regions and in places of Volcanic activity.

If encounter in the northern regions it is like around a place of great heat and geothermic energy. Like the area below Neverwinter which has a link to the plane of fire. Other then that they would have to be motivated by a powerful force like a deity or powerful NPC like Fzoul.

Just my two cents.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000