Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Which familiar do you prefer for your wizard?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2007 :  21:49:26  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I Kind of liked that animated rag from the Threat from the Sea Trilogy

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2007 :  03:52:44  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

That was a Raggamoffyn, and it's been detailed in one of the five Monster Manuals (don't remember which)
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2007 :  06:48:54  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Raggamoffyn is MM II.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2007 :  17:06:13  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cat

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Exploit
Acolyte

Canada
47 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2008 :  05:34:13  Show Profile  Visit Exploit's Homepage Send Exploit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Raven for the ability to talk. I use them for powergaming. Best offensive use so far was the using the shared spell feature combined with the Dream Casting spell (Spell Compendium). Avoid being in a helpless trance myself and raven simply trances until target goes to sleep and then charms the victim remotely. Grossly effective, especially for a shadow weave using Red Wizard/Shadow Adept boosted with Circle Magic and Power Leech spells. At 12th level I've managed save DC's in the low 30's with a caster level 27+ with an effect that is nearly undetectable to weave users due to the Insidious Magic feat. My raven familiar is currently charming 1 or 2 archmages a night by this technique!
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2008 :  08:24:18  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for cats, especially as I am deply involved with Cormyr these days, where cats are worshiped. Further, I once had a Sorcerer in a Dragonlance Campaign with a cat familiar.

However, as a DM the players familiars can be quite annoying. Therefore my second vote would have gone to "I don't want a familiar when casting" in hopes of sharing this opinion with my players.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

TheLemming
Acolyte

Austria
16 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2008 :  18:31:32  Show Profile  Visit TheLemming's Homepage Send TheLemming a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I either go without a familiar, a tressym or a pseudo-dragon. :)
tressym are just straightly cute - (I have three cats here and I know what would happen if one would grow wings.. no wait again, I can NOT imagine what would happen here!)
pseudodragons are perfect companions and a great vent for schizophrenia ;)
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  07:46:47  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. My NWN character has an Ice Mephit - mainly due to the fact that the game doesn't offer normal familiars. He's a real prankster, constantly complains about how its WAY too hot (during the winter in the Silver Marches) and calls my wizardess "Ice Princess", much to her dismay. Most think him fairly dense and more funny than dangerous. Later, he usually beats them in chess and goes out to hunt orcs.

And there was this cat I had in P&P. I was playing a witch there (self-created class) with 13 Int or something, so she ended up being less intelligent than her familiar. Despite this said cat was still causing extreme havoc throughout Daggerfall und what not because she had seen a mouse, constantly raided kitchens and storerooms (imagine what a cat with above average human intelligence is capable of to do so!) and, very terrifying to most, killed an orc all by herself. In one round.

Familiars are great for roleplaying... But it depends on the character, really. Neither my Drow nor my sorcerer/wizard have one.
And they can be truly insidious if employed correctly.

silm.pw - A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World
Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  19:59:49  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tressym here. And honestly, I never really choose with regards to advantages ruleswise, but rather what fits in best storywise. And playing a mage that tries to come across as "...dark, I´m dark, I´m oh so dark and dangerous and mysterious...", coupled with pure cuteness bouncing around him is quite a fun ride.

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

Mantis
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2011 :  16:59:26  Show Profile Send Mantis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I played a wizard a while back that had a tortoise as a familiar. He was awesome, I used the tortoise to carry my spell book and my pack because my wizard was to weak (and too important) to be carrying such trivial things HAHA. I crafted a lesser version of some speeded horshoes but fit them to a tortoise so that he could keep up with my speed. Eventually i had wanted to create some sort of runecraft to graft to the spaces on his shell to keep protection spells but the game ended before I had the chance.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2011 :  17:33:40  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I alwasy chose a familiar that seemed to complement my wizard's personality and alignment. Since i love evil characters, Imps were always good

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2011 :  17:36:23  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

That was a Raggamoffyn, and it's been detailed in one of the five Monster Manuals (don't remember which)

I prefer my Raggamoffyns with blueberries and butter

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2011 :  18:44:10  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eep! Thread necromancy!

Of the different mages I've played (from AD&D 'til now), they've had: Pseudogradons, Imps, Quasits, Homonculi, mephits, and tressym.

There's TONS that a creative mage can do with a familiar.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2011 :  19:41:09  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

Eep! Thread necromancy!

Of the different mages I've played (from AD&D 'til now), they've had: Pseudogradons, Imps, Quasits, Homonculi, mephits, and tressym.

There's TONS that a creative mage can do with a familiar.

Agreed. Sometimes the clever use of a familiar was more fun than blasting your way to the objective with spells

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2011 :  20:56:40  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer no familiar.

Although if I had to have one I'd want a rust monster to keep those pesky fighters away. A 1E-style rust monster, because the artwork makes them look almost cute.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2011 :  21:09:28  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who has had the most extreme familiar?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2011 :  22:00:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

As I recall, in one of the Pools novels, the spellslinger had a familiar that was some sort of big cat that turned into a human swordswinger.

I shan't say what kind of "extreme" I think that qualifies as.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2011 :  22:15:26  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

As I recall, in one of the Pools novels, the spellslinger had a familiar that was some sort of big cat that turned into a human swordswinger.

Sounds pretty extreme to me

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2011 :  22:16:08  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

We had a player years ago who wanted to have a sabre toothed tiger as a familiar

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2011 :  23:52:52  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Boo likes the forest.

(wait, technically that'd be an animal companion... heh)

I'm not sure I've seen many familiars in Realms fiction. I can tell you about a player (not me) in an old group of mine that -somehow- talked the DM into having a shrunken gnome as a familiar.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2011 :  00:03:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

We had a player years ago who wanted to have a sabre toothed tiger as a familiar

I could deal with that a lot more readily than any kind of shapechanger.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2011 :  00:12:00  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I could deal with that a lot more readily than any kind of shapechanger.

True. Our player got mad because we made him keep his "familiar" outside of any city we traveled to

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2011 :  02:13:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I once ran a one-shot Realmspace campaign that saw the rise of a Planet Master-esque type villain who sought to smash his enslaved planet-sized familiar -- who the Marvel fans among my gaming group recognised as Ego, the Living Planet -- against Toril.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Nilus Reynard
Learned Scribe

Canada
137 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2011 :  04:24:54  Show Profile Send Nilus Reynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have only ever played a mage once & my familiar was a Barn Owl. So I had to go with Owl.

Nilus Reynard
Doom Master of Beshaba, Hand of Despair.
P24 Hm CN
(2nd Edition AD&D)
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2011 :  04:52:22  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No familiar for me. I prefer not having more to be targeted by a DM, or a vindictive player. That's all they are, it seems. And if you name a horse or show interest in a mount with a character, most DMs love to have horrible things happen to them. At least, that has been my experience.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2011 :  04:56:27  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

No familiar for me. I prefer not having more to be targeted by a DM, or a vindictive player. That's all they are, it seems. And if you name a horse or show interest in a mount with a character, most DMs love to have horrible things happen to them. At least, that has been my experience.

These DM's are usually acting out in an attempt to over-compensate for another department in which they are lacking

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 22 Oct 2011 04:56:49
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2011 :  05:17:20  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh no, that's awful. There's no reason for a DM or a fellow player to go out of their way target a familiar, mount or animal companion.

What would The Lone Ranger be without Silver?
Xena without her trusty horse Argo?
Minsc without Boo?!
Perseus without his mechanical owl Bupo, or Pegasus?
The Beastmaster without Kodo, Podo, Ruh, and Shirak?
Batman without Robin? *cough*

Ok, silly joke on the last one. But seriously, I hate it when DMs or players try to intentionally ruin others' roleplaying. That just sucks and is indicative of a mean-spirited person.

Edited by - Therise on 22 Oct 2011 05:17:44
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2011 :  06:23:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ok, silly joke on the last one.
It depends on which Robin, really. I know many fans prefer Dick Grayson as the Boy Wonder, but I think Tim Drake is often overlooked as a worthwhile successor because he followed the "failed" Robin -- Jason Todd, and preceded the wildly popular Damian Wayne as the current Robin.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2011 :  13:25:52  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Oh no, that's awful. There's no reason for a DM or a fellow player to go out of their way target a familiar, mount or animal companion.

What would The Lone Ranger be without Silver?
Xena without her trusty horse Argo?
Minsc without Boo?!
Perseus without his mechanical owl Bupo, or Pegasus?
The Beastmaster without Kodo, Podo, Ruh, and Shirak?

Ok, silly joke on the last one. But seriously, I hate it when DMs or players try to intentionally ruin others' roleplaying. That just sucks and is indicative of a mean-spirited person.

This is why you should never choose a Lawful Evil DM

Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2011 :  14:10:24  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love familiars, and rarely create a PC or NPC magic-user without them. I've never felt constrained to simply use the list in the Players Handbook (although I voted for Raven in the poll), and I've adapted various different mundane creatures and more unusual beasties as familiars. I've just created a forest gnome illusionist with a squirrel as a familiar.

My favourite familiar is a homebrew design for one of the characters in my Chessenta; the theriope

The theriope is a magical bird, closely resembling a thrush or a nightingale but with a longer tail. Its plumage is attractive; a mottled patchwork of ivory and sable feathers, and they can be surprisingly difficult to spot in the broken light of a woodland canopy. However, what really makes the theriope stand out is its enchanted song. Whereas the males of other songbirds sing to find a mate, both male and female theriopes sing; apparently simply for the joy of making music. One interesting side effect of this song is its distracting nature – it’s so powerful it can break the concentration of a wizard attempting to cast a spell. Furthermore, theriopes are incredibly gifted mimics, and can perfectly impersonate the call of any creature they hear; even the roar of a dragon or a fragment of a siren’s song. Although this ability cannot reproduce any magical abilities carried by the sound, it can certainly fool a listener into thinking there is a (for example) a banshee wailing in yonder copse. Theriopes have an intelligence of sorts and can be trained to utter certain noises on command, although they don’t appear to have any language beyond their song or the capacity to communicate even simple ideas.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000