Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Which familiar do you prefer for your wizard?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  23:37:25  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

Very true. I've always liked the information given on the tressym. I'd like to see one as a ranger's companion also.

I think that would be perfectly appropriate.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2007 :  00:50:13  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's my homecampaign houserule on Tressym:

TRESSYM FAMILIARS

“They grant the master both the benefits of the Owl and Cat familiars.”
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2007 :  00:51:14  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I think that would be perfectly appropriate.

I agree, my lady. There are a great number of benefits to having a tressym as an animal companion. And yes, I'm a cat lover too.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2007 :  12:19:22  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually choose classic familiars, toads ravens snakes etc, when it comes to exotic ones i believe a good explanation and extra details must be given.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2007 :  23:50:44  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ever since my familiar was killed and I lost some XP, I have shunned having one for naught but roleplaying situations.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Warrax
Learned Scribe

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2007 :  07:15:45  Show Profile  Visit Warrax's Homepage Send Warrax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Generally I like cats and ravens...

But tressym are really awesome!
Go to Top of Page

sirreus
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2007 :  18:12:38  Show Profile  Visit sirreus's Homepage Send sirreus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
no familiar is looked over as much as man's best friend. if you're based in a city, they're hard to beat. they have alot of access to buildings and would not seem out of place in most of them.

"The measure of an undisciplined mind, is that the intellect allows emotion to challenge the observed truth" Richard Baker
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2007 :  02:47:08  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can have a dog as a familiar? wow! I missed that one by a hunnerd miles or more! never seen that choice in any supplement actually... where did you see that?!?! [says the knight, excited at the possibility of a mounted-combat oriented gnome wizard... :P ]
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2007 :  15:41:28  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Having just finished China Mieville's Perdido Street Station I want a badger!

Supposing I ever decide to play something other than a bard, cleric, or swashbuckler that is.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2007 :  16:43:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Having just finished China Mieville's Perdido Street Station I want a badger!

Supposing I ever decide to play something other than a bard, cleric, or swashbuckler that is.

Badger badger badger badger badger, mushroom, mushroom!....

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  01:13:47  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Badgers are cool, but they are druid animal companions AFAIK, not wizard familiars!!
Go to Top of Page

Pasta Fzoul
Seeker

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  04:52:22  Show Profile Send Pasta Fzoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

Badgers are cool, but they are druid animal companions AFAIK, not wizard familiars!!

There's really no reason to limit familiar choices to those officially published. The mechanics of those familiars can easily be applied to any number of other animals.
Go to Top of Page

Aewrik
Seeker

80 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2007 :  00:47:01  Show Profile Send Aewrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm aiming to bind a Beguiler (from the Shining South) as soon I find one to befriend.

I really love the realms, and I'd like to see as much of them as I can. I made my character as a protest to the D20 system, making him totally worthless in combat (not really, but he isn't exactly a siege weapon, either).
I'll vent my frustration on the D20 system somewhere else, though.

A beguiler would really complement my character, though!
Go to Top of Page

King Oscar
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2007 :  23:24:54  Show Profile  Visit King Oscar's Homepage Send King Oscar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Familiar's die with ease, after which you must wait a year to get a new one. I'd rather not spend one of my feats on a much better version, such as an Imp.

Such things seem better spent on more metamagic, unless you're a sorcerer, an Imp would then be more useful I guess.
Go to Top of Page

Aewrik
Seeker

80 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2007 :  04:22:51  Show Profile Send Aewrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by King Oscar

Familiar's die with ease, after which you must wait a year to get a new one. I'd rather not spend one of my feats on a much better version, such as an Imp.

Such things seem better spent on more metamagic, unless you're a sorcerer, an Imp would then be more useful I guess.

Tata! The D&D mentality. Powergaming, and everything revolves around combat. Sorry if I make "the Grand Generalization 2007" here, but all too often, this is the way people think. The familiar isn't a tool -- it's your little helping hand, and it often has a personality. The smarter ones could help you with research, or getting into places you couldn't, or keeping watch, or keeping your grandchildren busy while you prepare dinner, or whatever.
I have more use of my familiar, than letting it die in combat. Of course, food poisoning isn't impossible, but as long as you keep the little chip of your soul out of harm's way, you shouldn't have any problems with death.
Go to Top of Page

green knight
Seeker

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2007 :  16:29:28  Show Profile  Visit green knight's Homepage Send green knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I know what familiar I'd love to have for a wizard. It's the griffling that I created for the sixth batch of hooks. I'm thinking a housecat-sized griffon would be a nifty familiar.

After I told my wife about the grifflings from that adventure hook, that was her first reaction as well.(great hook btw)

I also like to customize the familiar list some for the setting. I am currenttly running a campaign set in a tropical setting and have added parrot, hummingbird, and mongoose to the list. I can easily see adding some creatures to the list for different climates.

Green knight

Edited by - green knight on 30 Sep 2007 16:30:28
Go to Top of Page

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2007 :  08:13:36  Show Profile Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by green knight

I also like to customize the familiar list some for the setting. I am currenttly running a campaign set in a tropical setting and have added parrot, hummingbird, and mongoose to the list. I can easily see adding some creatures to the list for different climates.

Green knight

I would appreciate if you could give the details for the added familiars. Specially I ‘m interested to know which special ability the little whirlybird grants the magic-user

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

green knight
Seeker

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2007 :  00:05:55  Show Profile  Visit green knight's Homepage Send green knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use the rules for hummingbird from a dragon magazine, I do not have it with me at the moment but i will look when I get home for the issue #. It grants an innitiative modifier of +2 I beleive.

Green knight
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2007 :  00:25:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by green knight

quote:
I know what familiar I'd love to have for a wizard. It's the griffling that I created for the sixth batch of hooks. I'm thinking a housecat-sized griffon would be a nifty familiar.

After I told my wife about the grifflings from that adventure hook, that was her first reaction as well.(great hook btw)

I had a lot of fun with that one, and Steven Schend added a couple nice ideas, too. I'm glad you liked it!

I just wish I'd come up with a better name for the grifflings... I have one now, but it's a little late -- unless I can figure out a way to work it into a future Waterdhavian hook.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2007 :  12:53:41  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i rally don't like familiars. they kind of are pointless

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2007 :  05:31:52  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love familiars. They introduce new imaginative ways to solve common D&D problems, without the constant casting of a spell or the swing of a sword.
Go to Top of Page

Ateth Istarlin
Seeker

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  12:37:00  Show Profile Send Ateth Istarlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why no Weasel/ferret on the list?
My mages always have a ferret for a familiar!

The more I read about 4FR, the more depressed I am.
Politician - An elected official who tries to be all things to all people, while always looking out for his/her own interests first.
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2007 :  00:19:30  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rat, the fortitude save is awesome, and rats are great for scouting. What is more common in a dungeon than a rat with a very strong contingency spell on it in case a local monster gets hungry? Well, maybe that isn't common, but I hate loosing my familiar.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2007 :  13:40:50  Show Profile Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ateth Istarlin

Why no Weasel/ferret on the list?
My mages always have a ferret for a familiar!

Definitely an Upps here – but I think that there weren’t any more lines also. So thanks that you spotted the slip – and fortunately nobody noted or complaint before.
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2007 :  14:51:08  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fiendish rat...

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2007 :  16:28:18  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, if I ever were to play a wizard/sorcerer, I'd go for the staff option from Dragon magazine a couple years back, far more to my liking than a familiar

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

sparhawk42
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2007 :  13:33:27  Show Profile  Visit sparhawk42's Homepage Send sparhawk42 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

Personally, if I ever were to play a wizard/sorcerer, I'd go for the staff option from Dragon magazine a couple years back, far more to my liking than a familiar

I don't remember this but it sounds interesting. Do you mind explaining the basics of this staff option and perhaps the Dragon number?

You never fail until you stop trying.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2007 :  18:14:00  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's the issue with the white-faced demonlord that looks a bit like a clown... forgot the name, but it's issue #338. Here's the link to the issue PDF:

http://paizo.com/dragon/products/issues/2005/v5748btpy7ya3

Cheers!
Go to Top of Page

sparhawk42
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2007 :  19:34:02  Show Profile  Visit sparhawk42's Homepage Send sparhawk42 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's the issue with the white-faced demonlord that looks a bit like a clown... forgot the name, but it's issue #338. Here's the link to the issue PDF:

http://paizo.com/dragon/products/issues/2005/v5748btpy7ya3

Cheers!

Great, thank you!

You never fail until you stop trying.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2007 :  00:20:41  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's the issue with the white-faced demonlord that looks a bit like a clown...

No kidding. Who would take him seriously?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000