Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Lantan population
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Amnezjusz
Acolyte

Poland
39 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2007 :  15:44:42  Show Profile  Visit Amnezjusz's Homepage Send Amnezjusz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi everyone:)

I have one simple question. How many 'people'(gnomes, halflings, humans etc) lives on Lantan?

Thx for help.

THERE'S NO JUSTICE. THERE'S JUST ME. - Death

http://www.polarzepy.fora.pl - My website.
http://www.dnd.polter.pl - Official Polish D&D site.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2007 :  18:19:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's only one inhabitant of Lantan. One gnome lives there, all by himself. But that one gnome is one seriously skilled illusionist -- the rest of the population exists only because of his spells! Some think he's a Chosen of Leira...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2007 :  00:48:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't you start...

*swipes the Furry Hamster with my Staff of the Irritated Lantan-fan*

I don't recall this being exclusively stated in any particular source.

I think that, because there's almost always been a "heavy-gnomish" focus for the population of Lantan noted during its exposure in some sources, this has made it somewhat difficult to pin-down exact numbers for the island's total population, or determine any specific human-to-demihuman[gnome] ratio.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2007 :  02:03:12  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a bit strange FRCS dont have stats for Lantan like it does for other nations/cities it is mentioned that the population are mostly gnomes but humans exist too

And that gnome illusionist does not exist. In fact he is a Orc Illusionist but he is shy

Edited by - Marquant Volker on 02 Jun 2007 02:03:42
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2007 :  07:08:57  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah I thought I would be the first to post to this thread this morning. Pulled out my source material and could not find any population references.
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2007 :  10:16:06  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was always my impression that Lantan is mainly inhabited by gnomes (with the occasional native human here and there), and that the island is mostly unknown to continental Faerunians because only few travel to this strange land where magic is shunned in favor of mechanical “monstrosities” so not much is actually known about population numbers and consistence.

And maybe WotC has intentionally left out numbers in the FRCS to provide us with more detailed information in an extra sourcebook. *hint, hint*

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2007 :  11:43:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayunken-vanzan

It was always my impression that Lantan is mainly inhabited by gnomes (with the occasional native human here and there)...
Try not to assume that.

The tinker-like aspect of the gnomes was the result of TSR bringing the concept of the tinker gnomes into the Realms, and also largely because Gond appeared (in the form of a gnome) on the island during the Time of Troubles.

Despite all the gnomish-ness... Lantan still has a notable and significant human presence, who are mostly quite intuitive and capable of innovative technogical design on their own as members of Gond's faithful.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2007 :  18:22:30  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was wondering why Lantan is believed to be some sort of hidden land? i mean its just another island, not too far away for trading vessels to reach it (Caravels travel as far as Maztica nowadays) is it have any sort of defences that keep it hidden, like Evermeet has?

I dont see a reason why humans wont travel to that land, a trade route to Waterdeep could be beneficial for both involving parties in such occasion

I believe this is one of the occations that the DM has to be creative and either introduce Lantan as a dynamic nation or just a land of legend in the tales of sailors, sages and advanturers.
I think this have effect on the level of technology the DM wants in his campaign, for example if the want to introduce smokepowder firearms then he can introduce Lantan as the main manufacturer and exporter, and the weapons will be avaiable wherever an active trade route exist
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000