Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Sammaster
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nemesisdragon
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2007 :  19:42:27  Show Profile  Visit nemesisdragon's Homepage Send nemesisdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello, this is my first post on the site so first off I would like to say Hail and that it is an honor. Now I hope this question isn't elsewhere on the forum because I hate to make repeats but I did not see one. I just wanted to clarification perhaps on Sammaster's outcome at the end of the rage of dragons saga. I have all of his information up to that point and I suppose all I want to know is if he was destroyed for sure, does anybody know? lol. I was sure myself but an unnamed lad insisted he was not destroyed completely....again. Any information would be appreciated and also, does anybody have any 3e stats for Sammaster? A preemptive thank you for everybody who responds.

Sure wish we could get a conversion for the Yellow Dragon!

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2007 :  20:14:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to Candlekeep!

Richard Lee Byers (the author of the trilogy) has himself explicitly stated that Sammaster is dead.

So far as I know, there has never been an official write-up of Sammy in 3E terms. He was written up in the old 2E book Cult of the Dragon, which is one of the many downloads available for free from the Wizards downloads page.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

nemesisdragon
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2007 :  20:44:29  Show Profile  Visit nemesisdragon's Homepage Send nemesisdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much Wooly. That is what I thought too but some folks like to argue the point lol. Thanks for the referrence, I suppose a little converting and adding the draconic mythal spell should do. Thanks again!

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2007 :  23:56:31  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He's dead because he made the mythal capstone his phylactery through some unknown, rare necromantic process. When the capstone was destroyed, so was he.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2007 :  00:58:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which is a process I'd still like to know a little more about. I think it would be nice to see a few extra details about this "rare necromantic process" at some point...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

nemesisdragon
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2007 :  01:41:41  Show Profile  Visit nemesisdragon's Homepage Send nemesisdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed, it would be nice to see some extra information on the "process". Any extra information on him would be cool. I did see some 2e stuff about him going demigod I think, just fan stuff but it seemed very interesting as an extra possible storyline arc.

Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

504 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2007 :  14:53:18  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If people are looking for an alternate ending that makes in game sense. I know there is a way in 3.5 to make multiple phylacteries, I haven't read the novel so they may explicitly say that it is his only one but I would think a smart liche would have a few of these.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2007 :  17:08:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gelcur

If people are looking for an alternate ending that makes in game sense. I know there is a way in 3.5 to make multiple phylacteries, I haven't read the novel so they may explicitly say that it is his only one but I would think a smart liche would have a few of these.

Again, the author has explicitly stated that Sammy is now truly dead.

Besides, being smart doesn't mean he'd necessarily go for the multiple phylacteries idea... Being arrogant and overconfident (which Sammy definitely was) means less chance of doing something that would admit the possibility of defeat.

Also, we don't know if using his phylactery as the mythal capstone would allow the possibility of multiple phylacteries. It might not have worked, had he had multiples -- or, if it did, it may have resulted in multiple capstones!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

504 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2007 :  23:39:54  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was just throwing out an idea if he wanted to use it in his personal campaign.

Though the idea of multiple capstones is intriguing.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

nemesisdragon
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2007 :  15:17:55  Show Profile  Visit nemesisdragon's Homepage Send nemesisdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just ran across some extra information. Algation Nahiere (I know i slaughtered that name but i don't have it in from of me lol) was said to still be around in one reference i just checked into. I hope I didn't spell the name that wrong that you all don't know who I am talking about but to clarify a little, he was the one who brought Sammaster back after his duel with the chosen (the beginning of his lichdom). Did not find stats though so would any of you happen to know of any stats for him. He is also a Banelich now himself if that helps. Thanks :D

Edit: That is supposed to be Algashon Nathaire it just hit me lol :D

Edited by - nemesisdragon on 27 May 2007 15:21:31
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2007 :  16:06:55  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nemesisdragon

Just ran across some extra information. Algation Nahiere (I know i slaughtered that name but i don't have it in from of me lol) was said to still be around in one reference i just checked into. I hope I didn't spell the name that wrong that you all don't know who I am talking about but to clarify a little, he was the one who brought Sammaster back after his duel with the chosen (the beginning of his lichdom). Did not find stats though so would any of you happen to know of any stats for him. He is also a Banelich now himself if that helps. Thanks :D

Edit: That is supposed to be Algashon Nathaire it just hit me lol :D

See Dragons of Faerun, it explains what happened to Alga and has some stats for him in the Cult of the Dragon chapter.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2007 :  00:47:36  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you want Sammaster back in your campaign the easiest way is to have some of his flesh in the possession of someone with the gumption to 'clone' him. That's just one of a bunch of ways to bring him back.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

nemesisdragon
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2007 :  18:36:21  Show Profile  Visit nemesisdragon's Homepage Send nemesisdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I suppose I should stay true to the storyline as I can. Algashon will work for me lol. Thank you gents for the info though, it's helps greatly. But I suppose, one more question perhaps. Now that I have Algashon's info, and that two of the dracoliches are heads of the cult also, does anybody have any extra information concerning Pox and Saurglirce (I mispelled the dragons name again, sorry :D) Last I heard they were drove off by one of the other Dracoliches I think when they tried to vie for control of the Cult. I apologize for the excessive questions :P

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000