Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Elaine Cunningham: One of the Best of the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2007 :  23:02:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Paul S. Kemp mentioned this in his blog... I'm putting it here so everyone can read it.

To help promote the upcoming The Best of the Realms, Book III: The Stories of Elaine Cunningham, Wizards had some of the setting's best authors comment on Elaine. Ed, RAS, Paul, Richard Lee Byers, and Rich Baker all shared their thoughts on one of our favorite writers:

Elaine Cunningham: One of the Best of the Realms

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 08 May 2007 12:27:40

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2007 :  23:08:16  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Had me a bit worried there with the thread title.

Thought something had happened to Elaine that I had missed.

Will have to keep an out for this one, only after double checking the stories in it.

I'll admit I did skip on #2 because with the exception of 1 or 2 stories, I already have them all.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2007 :  23:17:25  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, there, warlockco. As far as I can recall, Ed put 3 new stories into his Best Of, plus a fourth that had only been seen by one lucky contest winner, plus another that had only been published in abridged form in a computer game manual, and then rewrote or corrected all of the others. So unless my memory is failing, it was about a third new stuff, for most readers.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2007 :  23:24:00  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THO, hmm, will have to find a copy to thumb through again, could have sworn I read all of them but 1 or 2.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2007 :  01:58:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe Ed summed up my own thoughts rather well -- "The world needs a dozen Elaine Cunninghams -- but as we've only got the one, that makes her all the more special. Harp in hand, she glides bright and shining among the best of the Realms."

And we're always thankful for her grand efforts. The Realms have certainly become a richer literary environment, thanks largely to her masterful contributions. Here's to Elaine, and all the wondrous tales and lore that she still has left to share with us!

*raises virtual wine glass*

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 08 May 2007 02:01:07
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2007 :  12:20:58  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The fact my heart nearly skipped a beat when I saw the title of this thread and thought the worse probably says how much I value her writing.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2007 :  12:29:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I'm changing the name of this thread, since I've inadvertently scared many people... Sorry about the poor choice of words!

(And seriously, folks, people can receive a tribute without croaking first... )

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2007 :  16:10:19  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really don’t want to highjack this thread, which should properly be about Elaine and her lovely personal character and superb creative contributions to the Realms over the years, but just to respond to warlockco: Best of Eddie contains 15 stories.
Four are never-before-published, one was seen only by WotC, Ed, and ONE lucky contest winner, another was an expansion rewrite of a story published only in a computer game manual, one was the very first Realms story (published only in a chapbook and briefly online), and yet another was published only on the Wizards website.
So except to that one lucky winner, the collection is at least one-third new.
Now, back to Elaine!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2007 :  20:21:57  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been awaiting this one for some time, though given the chance of me finding it in my vicinity are gazillions to one, I suppose I'd better order online so I can get hold of it before 2009. I suppose I should also pick up the Best of Eddie too, as that one slipped through my net. And I'm still waiting for Swords of Eveningstar to come out in paperback.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2007 :  02:22:19  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
June for Swords of Eveningstar in paperback, I'm told. Worth the read in either format.
love,
THO
P.S. As always with the paperback reissue, Ed had a chance to correct (not rewrite) the text of the hardcover.

Edited by - The Hooded One on 09 May 2007 02:23:35
Go to Top of Page

Elven Avenger
Acolyte

Brazil
27 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2007 :  20:44:31  Show Profile Send Elven Avenger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine is our Real Life's, Queen Amlaruil :)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2007 :  21:35:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elven Avenger

Man, if that's a comment about her age, you are SO in trouble...

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2007 :  00:12:54  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Elven Avenger

Man, if that's a comment about her age, you are SO in trouble...

Even is so Wooly, you are the one to bring it out in the open...

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2007 :  19:55:10  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

(And seriously, folks, people can receive a tribute without croaking first... )

They can?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2007 :  20:41:26  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I've ordered it - can't be doing with waiting for another few weeks before I even have the slightest chance of picking it up in a shop, along with the Best of Eddie.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2007 :  16:52:14  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bought the book Friday night! While I'm not crazy about the cover art, I look forward to read the many stories within!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000