Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 New 'Ravenloft' novels -- well, kind of...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2007 :  03:59:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
See here:- http://ww2.wizards.com/Books/Wizards/?doc=main_2008ravenlofttitles

They sound interesting. I'm assuming that the "Earth-setting" featured in the novels will likely be the "Gothic Earth" of 2e [and 3e under the revised RL license]. Though, whether it will be directly referred to such, remains to be seen.

It will be intriguing to see what, if anything, is used from RAVENLOFT to support the tales told in these new books.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2007 :  04:40:44  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what Ari Marmell said over at the Worlds of D&D forums, Ravenloft itself is suppose to be the same Ravenloft, the demiplane of Dread, but they the mists are reaching into "our" history to pull some people in so that they can do Ravenloft novels that don't have to refer to D&D settings other than Ravenloft. He said the first few new novels will be creating new domains, but eventually some of novels may start going back to old standbys like Barovia and Lamordia.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2007 :  05:29:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... that sounds even more intriguing.

I wonder whether the other major "domain-creating/setting-changing" historical RL event -- the 'Grand Conjunction/Great Upheaval' -- will relate, in any way, to the creation of these new domains in the Demiplane of Dread.

Edited by - The Sage on 13 May 2007 05:31:32
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2007 :  07:21:08  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

I'm certainly very intrigued by this news. I'm a bit dubious about the use of real world crossovers into Ravenloft, but time will tell.

Nevertheless, i'm happy to see the return of Ravenloft fiction; something i've been hoping for for many years. From the RL novels i've read, they have been consistantly high quality and a thoroughly enjoyable read.

I just hope they do away with the terrible format of the Covenant rereleases. The cover art isn't particularly great or doing the tomes justice and the font size and format is awful.

I wonder if WotC will produce a new sourcebook detailing the new domains etc.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2007 :  07:31:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only aspect of the Covenant re-releases that I've enjoyed is that it has allowed me to obtain copies of the older RL novels that are otherwise damaged or in poor condition.

I like the idea of an official new sourcebook that would, eventually, feature the new domains that are being set up as "settings" for these new novels. Even if nothing were to officially develop on this, I can see it becoming the basis for a significant fan-based project for those of us active over at the "Fraternity of Shadows" website.

Go to Top of Page

boddynock
Learned Scribe

Belgium
258 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2007 :  20:28:35  Show Profile  Visit boddynock's Homepage Send boddynock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm curious too. It's not the first time that the misty fingers of the domains of dread reached gothic earth. The domain Odiare (pinochio rip off ;-) ) was originally a small town in Italy that is transported to the domains of dread.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2007 :  01:15:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Gothic Earth's" Italy to be exact.

Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2007 :  02:40:55  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So...I wonder will these be in a similar atmospheric style to the "Masque of Red Death" supplements for 2E, with the exception of beings being dragged into Ravenloft itself...or rather different, like crossovers of single characters into a full bore Gothic-Fantasy-World? And I´m honestly not sure, which I would prefer...alas, at least there is new Ravenloft novel material on the horizon.

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000