Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Volo's Guides and the Coming Dragon(s)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2007 :  23:33:49  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
After a bit of wheedling, I've gotten Wesley Schneider to allow me to let slip a couple of tidbits regarding the Realms inclusion in the (soon-ending) future of Dragon Magazine.

First: Be assured that Volo's Guide will be with Dragon until the end of its run in September (issue #359). Not only has Wes told me so, but I've seen the work through 358 already, so I know it's true.

Secundus: Obviously, since our very own Ed Greenwood got his start in Dragon, and many of the most memorable pieces and series in the magazine's history (Mages Three, and many others) came from his typewriter, Wes tells me he's working on something for the final issue. Possibly multiple somethings.

Point the Third: Having received permission to speak somewhat freely, I can now reveal that the Volo's Guide in the Dragons! issue of Dragon (June's issue #356) will be sufficiently dragonly and draconic. That is, it will include a slightly nostalgic piece from the pen of Volothamp Geddarm entitled "Wyrms of the West, East and South." Bonus points to those who can guess at where these wyrms might lair.

So, Volo until the end, oodles of Ed-ly fun, and dragons, dragons, dragons!

Enjoy.

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2007 :  00:28:16  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which means that in relation to my Volo's piece in #357 (July) I can say ... absolutely nothing. Other than it has nothing to do with Dragons. I'm trying to think of an obtuse hint as to what my article's about, but my brain is too fried right now.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2007 :  00:43:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

That is, it will include a slightly nostalgic piece from the pen of Volothamp Geddarm entitled "Wyrms of the West, East and South." Bonus points to those who can guess at where these wyrms might lair.

Ooh! Ooh! I know! *waves hand frantically, while bouncing in the seat* In places other than the North!

Yup, I had to go there.

On a more serious note, this is some good news, Garen. I thank you for sharing it with us.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2007 :  00:56:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Which means that in relation to my Volo's piece in #357 (July) I can say ... absolutely nothing. Other than it has nothing to do with Dragons. I'm trying to think of an obtuse hint as to what my article's about, but my brain is too fried right now.

-- George Krashos

George, check your PMs.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2007 :  00:58:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

On a more serious note, this is some good news, Garen. I thank you for sharing it with us.
I agree.

As much as I am still dreading the end of DRAGON, this little preview of what's to come, has brought a smile to my face.

Thanks Garen.

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2007 :  01:20:53  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I'm writing the Volo's Guide for the last issue. I think you all will like it. ;-)

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2007 :  01:35:13  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Garen any chance you can find out if Paizo are going to publish Eds 2nd cities of faerun article before they loose the Dragon licence?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2007 :  01:45:53  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Hey Garen any chance you can find out if Paizo are going to publish Eds 2nd cities of faerun article before they loose the Dragon licence?
I probably can't. I know for certain the contents of Volo's Guide for #356-358 (and now, obviously, the author of the piece in #359). I have no idea what Ed's working on for the final issue of Dragon, and I honestly don't want to know; it's a special issue, and when dealing with a finale from the grand master, one should not attempt to guess at what's coming. It will only spoil the fun.

However, if Eric is penning Volo's Guide to Volo for #359, I think my head will explode. In a good way.
Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2007 :  04:20:15  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My subscription was going to be up next month. Looks like I'm going to have to take a trip to my comic book shop for this though. :)

Thanks for helping Dragon go out with a bang with good realms articles. :)

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2007 :  14:22:31  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

And I'm writing the Volo's Guide for the last issue. I think you all will like it. ;-)

--Eric

I certainly hope so. And thanks for the info, Garen. I'm sure Ed will concoct something wonderful for the end.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2007 :  18:52:48  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

--Eric

Will it include a certain Shadow Dragon that claimed Mithril Hall as his own??

I would like to see a revised history about that dragon.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDonLNKf6_KA9Qlal3Qu3zQ?view_as=subscriber
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2007 :  19:19:01  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drakul

quote:

--Eric

Nope. Good idea though. (I assume you've recently read the DoF#3 WE.)

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2007 :  20:49:21  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
>>Nope. Good idea though. (I assume you've recently read the DoF#3 WE.)
>>--Eric

Oh, btw, I just printed it. Good read, and the module had a very interesting plot.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2007 :  22:26:55  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

--Eric

--Eric

I've read part of it, but been busy at the same time. Not easy raising a 4 year old and expectin another one real soon.

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2007 :  23:28:14  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

--Eric

--Eric

I've read part of it, but been busy at the same time. Not easy raising a 4 year old and expectin another one real soon.

In case you missed it, there's a brief reference to Shimmergloom in the PDF. I figured that prompted your question.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2007 :  23:28:47  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

>>--Eric

Oh, btw, I just printed it. Good read, and the module had a very interesting plot.

Glad you liked it. I was inspired by the brief mention of Amarune by Ed in Spellfire (new, expanded edition), pages 359-361, which I built on more in City of Splendors: Waterdeep, page 58.

There was also a reference to Jaezred Chaulssin fosterages in Rich's Dragon article that detailed Nimor, IIRC.

--Eric

--

Edited by - ericlboyd on 27 Apr 2007 23:33:41
Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2007 :  00:46:00  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

--Eric

--Eric

In case you missed it, there's a brief reference to Shimmergloom in the PDF. I figured that prompted your question.

--Eric

Just read it all a bit ago. Saw the mention of Shimmergloom. I still would like to see his history revised, even stating his plots to reclaim Chaulssin again.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2007 :  02:35:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

>>--Eric

Glad you liked it. I was inspired by the brief mention of Amarune by Ed in Spellfire (new, expanded edition), pages 359-361, which I built on more in City of Splendors: Waterdeep, page 58.

There was also a reference to Jaezred Chaulssin fosterages in Rich's Dragon article that detailed Nimor, IIRC.

--Eric

Indeed, there was. See here.

Edited by - The Sage on 28 Apr 2007 02:37:10
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2007 :  07:32:14  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

I probably can't. I know for certain the contents of Volo's Guide for #356-358 (and now, obviously, the author of the piece in #359). I have no idea what Ed's working on for the final issue of Dragon, and I honestly don't want to know; it's a special issue, and when dealing with a finale from the grand master, one should not attempt to guess at what's coming. It will only spoil the fun.

However, if Eric is penning Volo's Guide to Volo for #359, I think my head will explode. In a good way.

Hopefully Ed will manage to get it into the last issue......

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 28 Apr 2007 07:33:30
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2007 :  18:09:11  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I'm hoping that Paizo will take every bit of Realms material Ed's ever sent to DRAGON and publish it, paying him his usual rate for every single word. Sure, they can have Eric's Volo piece and the end-of-an-era stuff from all the usual suspects, but if it winds up being all Ed all the time, I certainly won't be one to complain.
Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2007 :  19:37:17  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Frankly, I am kind of upset that Dragon and Dungeon will no longer be published. I enjoy havin the hard copy in my hands, instead of readin them online.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000