Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Thayan Griffon Legionnaire
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2007 :  01:40:17  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok, I really liked the Griffon Legionnaire in Unclean, and it inspired me to make this prestige class. Its still rough, but look it over. Any strong flaws? I'm figuring giving up 3 levels of spellcasting to get the familiar mount should be a good enough loss (?).

Base Attack Bonus: +4
Skills: ride 5 ranks, concentration 10 ranks, Knowledge (arcana) 8 ranks, spellcraft 8 ranks, spot 3 ranks
Feats: mounted combat, improved familiar, craft magic arms & armor
Spells: Able to cast 3rd lvl arcane spells
Special: You must qualify to take regional feats for the country of Thay

BAB Fort Ref Will Special Spells Per day
+1 +2 +0 +2 mounted caster, griffon mount +1 level arcane
armored mage
+2 +3 +0 +3 somatic weaponry feat,
mount natural attack (+1 enhancement)
mount advancement
+3 +3 +1 +3 mount nat. att(surestriking) +1 level arcane
see through griffon eyes
+4 +4 +1 +4 improved mounted combat
mount natural attack (defending & +2 enhancement)
+5 +4 +1 +4 mount nat att(defensive surge)+1 level arcane
+6 +5 +2 +5 familiar mount,
mount nat att(spell storing & +3 enhancement)

Weapon & Armor Proficiency: Due to spending so much time aloft in the cold air wafting off the Sunrise Mountains, the Thayan Griffon Legionnaire gains proficiency with padded armor and light shields. Thayan Griffon Legionnaire's are proficient with the lance.

armored mage: The Thayan Griffon Legionnaire is able to avoid arcane spell failure when using light armor and/or light shields with which he is proficient. This does not extend to medium or heavier armors, though this can be improved through use of the battle caster feat from complete Arcane.

mounted caster: Thayan Griffon Legionnaire's have spent so much time casting while mounted that they may take 10 on concentration checks made as a result of casting while on a moving mount.

Griffon Mount: The character gains a standard griffon mount exactly as presented in the monster manual. Should this mount die, he may receive another after requesting one from the Tharchion of Pyarados (currently Nymia Focar) and performing a service which the Tharchion feels warrants the rewarding of a replacement griffon. NOTE: a replacement griffon does not possess the mount advancement or mount natural attack advancement provided by this class until after the Thayan Griffon Legionnaire performs a ritual costing 5000 gp to transfer the magical energies from his previous mount's body to his new mount. If he does not possess the body of the previous mount, this ritual costs 10000 gp to create a link to his previous mounts spirit.

somatic weaponry feat: The Thayan Griffon Legionnaire gains the somatic weaponry feat (see complete mage for details).

mount advancement: At each class level of Thayan Griffon Legionnaire from 2nd to 6th, the Thayan Griffon Legionnaire's griffon gains 6 additional hit points as a result of advanced training and alchemical brews provided by his master to bolster its fortitude.

mount natural attack: At each class level of Thayan Griffon Legionnaire from 2nd to 6th, his mount's natural attacks are magically enhanced. At 2nd level, his mount's natural attacks are treated as though they have a +1 enhancement bonus to attack, damage, and ability to overcome DR. This bonus increases to +2 at 4th lvl and +3 at 6th lvl. In addition, at 3rd level, his mounts natural attacks are treated as though they have the sure striking weapon ability (see PGtF for details). At 4th lvl, his mounts natural attacks are treated as though they have the defending weapon ability applied to them. At 5th lvl, his mount is treated as having the defensive surge weapon ability from the DMG II. At 6th lvl, the griffon's bite attack is treated as having the spell storing weapon ability from the DMG.

see through griffon eyes: When in physical contact with his griffon, as a standard action, the Thayan Griffon Legionnaire can see through his griffon mount's eyes, allowing himself to see with both darkvision and low-light vision, as well as using his mount's spot check rather than his own.

improved mounted combat: The Thayan Griffon Legionnaire may attempt to block 2 attacks per round with his mounted combat feat.

familiar mount: The Thayan Griffon Legionnaire releases his previous familiar and instead forms a bond with his griffon mount. The griffon maintains its current hit point total, but in all other respects is treated as a familiar according to the improved familiar feat. The Thayan Griffon Legionnaire class levels stack with the levels of the previous class which provided the ability to possess a familiar to determine familiar abilities.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2007 :  01:42:32  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like it, although I haven't analysed it in depth yet, but one thing I'm wondering is about the fammiliar mount. I got the feeling that Aoth had a special familiar, and not all of the griffon riders in Thay would have this kind of bond, especially since Aoth was kind of an aberration with being an arcane caster that wasn't accepted into the Red Wizards.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2007 :  02:23:58  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
<<but one thing I'm wondering is about the fammiliar mount

Yeah, I put it at the very end of the prestige class because I figured MOST wizards in Thay may dip a level or 3 in the class, but most would then proceed on to say the red wizard class or eldritch knight or something else. Since there's 400 or so "red wizards" in the griffon legion, I'd bet that 90% of them dipped in and moved on, and the majority of the rest simply aren't high enough level to have gotten the griffon familiar ability yet. I also chose the natural attack enhancements to be abilities that wouldn't be visible (so that it probably won't conflict with what happens in the novels... so for instance, I didn't give the option to give the griffon flaming claws, etc....)
However, that all being said, I appreciate your insight into game mechanics. If something pops in your head, let me know.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2007 :  02:30:03  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You make a good point about making it a "capstone" ability.
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2007 :  15:35:25  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey sleyvas I have the feeling that the book “Unclean” made a big impression one you, and I understand.

I made something maybe this can help you

Becoming a Thayan Griffon Legionnaire
Most characters become a Thayan Griffon Legionnaire after taking at least seven levels in ? or ?. A few clerics or paladins manage to master the prerequisites necessary to join the ranks, but they are rare because of their religious affiliations, something that the folk of Thay frown upon. Few other core classes obtain the military training necessary to qualify.

Entry Requirements
Race: Human
Base Attack Bonus: +).
Skills: Handle Animal ? ranks, Ride ? ranks.
Feats: Mounted Combat, Weapon Focus (lance), ?
Alignment: Any lawful
Special: Native or permanent resident of Thayl.
Special: Membership in the Thayan Griffon Legionnaire

Armor Proficiency:
You gain no proficiency in any armor.

Class Features
As a Thayan Griffon Legionnaire, you become an expert at mounted combat, utilizing a host of skills and maneuvers to defeat your enemies, while at the same time gaining more powerful enhancements to your special glass armor.

Thayan Griffon Legionnaire Clothe:
At 1st level, you are considered a novice, and you receive the war cloak of the Thayan Griffon Legionnaire. This Clothe is attuned to you and can never be used by another. If this suit of cloteh is lost or destroyed, it will replaced, though you must pay the gp cost normally required to create that kind of clothe.

Pegasus Mount:
At 1st level, you receive a trained pegasus to serve you in your defense of Thay. The mount remains with you until it is slain or dismissed. It requires food and rest, and you are responsible for tending to its needs. When riding this mount, you gain a competence bonus on Ride checks equal to your class level. If the mount dies, you can have it raised from the dead (at the normal cost) or obtain another mount. You can only obtain a replacement after living and meditating among the trained pegasi of the Legionnaires for one week.

Playing a Thayan Griffon Legionnaire
You're all about honor and duty to the people of Thay, and you have dedicated your life to defending them from the dangers of the wider world. You're a member of one of the most elite organizations in all of Faerūn. Your fellow Legionnaires are like brothers to you, and you'd give your life to save one, but then you could say the same about a Thayan citizen, too.

You serve the zulkirs and respect their commands because you've seen the wisdom in their actions time and time again. You support the zulkirs by enforcing their laws and edicts, and you respect the opinions of those Legionnaires who have been serving for longer than you. They all speak from experience, and you value that experience and in turn pass it on to the newer members.

1st
Base Attack Bonus +1 - Save +2+0+2

2nd
Base Attack Bonus +2 - Save +3+0+3

3rd
Base Attack Bonus +3 - Save +3+1+3

4th
Base Attack Bonus +4 - Save +4+1+4

5th
Base Attack Bonus +5 - Save +4+1+4

6th
Base Attack Bonus +6 - Save +5+2+5

7th
Base Attack Bonus +7 - Save +5+2+5

8th
Base Attack Bonus +8 - Save +6+2+6

9th
Base Attack Bonus +9 - Save +6+3+6

10th
Base Attack Bonus +10 - Save +7+3+7

Vigor (Ex):
Beginning at 3rd level, an Thayan Griffon Legionnaire and his /her mount can ignore the effects of negative levels bestowed upon her by an undead creature.

Class Skills:
(2 + Int modifier per level): Diplomacy, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Jump, Ride, Search, Spot, Swim.

Combat:
Your armor and your mount are as much a part of you as your arms and legs. Without them, you feel naked, incomplete. With them, you feel like you own the skies over Thay, and that nothing can stop you from defending its forests from monstrous beasts or evil antagonists.

With the special talents that come from being a member of this class, you take the fight straight to your enemies, relying on your superior riding ability and skill at arms to overwhelm your opponents.

If you face a foe that seems more than a match for you individually, you call in the reinforcements to help you out. With your companions joining in the fight, the group will take full advantage of a combination of flanking attacks and flyby charges to deal serious pain to enemies. When necessary, you can dismount to engage in hand-to-hand combat with foes, but you prefer the advantages you gain from fighting in the saddle.

Advancment:
Many want to become Thayan Griffon Legionnaire, but few are permitted the honor. In addition to necessarily being a citizen of Thay, you must exhibit a keen sense of military cunning, demonstrating skill at arms as well as battlefield tactics. While not strictly required, you are more likely to be chosen to join if you have traveled away from Thay for a time, seeing the wider world and learning a bit of its ways. Through this travel, you not only learn what dangers lurk on distant shores that might arrive on your own, but you also determine how you measure up in combat.

You spend your days serving in the Legionnaires, taking your turn at watch and keeping an eye on the entire realm along with your companions. When you first start out, you learn to trust the guidance and wisdom of the older, more experienced Legionnaires, and your service might be limited to smaller dangers such as eliminating a wild beast that has wandered too far out of the forest. After you get some seasoning of your own, you instinctively know how formidable your enemies can be and are not hesitant to call in reinforcements. You train with your brothers in arms in the skies above your lands, swooping through the mountain peaks and high valleys as you master maneuvers unique to aerial combat. When you are at rest, you enjoy spending time in your own home, which can start out as merely a humble house but should grow in time into a great castle with beholden farms surrounding it.

As you continue to serve with the Legionnaires, your deeds and brave exploits are likely to catch the eyes of the zulkirs, who will eventually grant your clothe and weapons extra powers. This is always considered a great honor in addition to a boon to combat, and Legionnaires who have been in service for many years sometimes wear clothe with powerful and varied enchantments. You know that if you serve long and faithfully, the zulkirs will see fit to grant you similar benefits.

Resouces:
In addition to the obvious equipment you receive upon joining the group -- your special clothe and your loyal steed -- you'll definitely be able to acquire other items as a member of the Legionnaires. An exotic military saddle is not only necessary, but worthwhile. Beyond your gear, being a member of the Legionnaires of the Thayan Griffon Legionnaire means you have the support and assistance of all the rest of the members in your endeavors. And, if you are wounded or suffer other mysterious or magical maladies in defense of Thay and its folk, healing and restorative magic are available to you at any time without cost.

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 05 May 2007 15:41:01
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2007 :  23:24:39  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, some good points, and I'd looked over the Flying Hunt prestige class for ideas as well. I definitely should specify that the person must be human. I should also put in a special requirement that they swear an oath to serve the Tharchion of Pyarados.
<<When riding this mount, you gain a competence bonus on Ride checks equal to your class level.
I like this piece. Its specific to the mount, and since most wizards won't have a very high ride skill when they enter the class, it helps protect the mount a little bit more. I can see a lot of wizards buying a "bridle of riding" to use with their mount as well.
I don't want this to be a 10 level class though, as most of the griffon riders go on to become red wizards(if they are of Mulan blood... if they're Rashemi blooded they would have a harder chance of being accepted into the ranks of the red, and there's other prestige classes that would fill out such characters well without me making up a bunch of abilities <ex. spellsword, eldritch knight, etc...>).

I definitely don't see the section on playing a Griffon Legionnaire fitting as written. The Legionnaire's are not all about defending Thay and honor and glory. That would be a member of the Flying Hunt, or an Aglarondan Griffonrider. Griffon Legionnaire's might even turn on one another during peace time, perhaps being from differing schools of magic (though the Legionnaire's do tend to draw mostly invokers and diviners, followed by abjurers and transmuters, then other schools of magic). Quite simply, MOST legionnaires (IMO) join up because they live in Pyarados and that's near the sunrise mountains, which is beautiful mountains rumored to be filled with treasures of long lost societies. What better fun than to gather a few comrades, mount up on your griffon and go on a hunting trip.... the Tharchion likes it because it gives the wizards in her Tharch a way to burn off restless energy without tearing up her countryside, maybe capture some humanoid slaves, and keeps down the monster population. However, griffon's don't grow on trees, so that's why the Tharchion stresses they must have some skill protecting the mount (ala mounted combat feat) before getting the griffon and being let loose to play havoc across the countryside. I guess this would be some very valuable material to put in with the class, because most flying mount classes don't see things this way... most Thayans would see the mount as a very valuable tool, but ultimately its just a griffon and if it dies they'll get another. I don't see MOST having a bond with their mount much beyond the rudimentary (of course, those that advance to the end of the class are different... they've put in the effort to show they want to be a griffon rider).
In the end, I see most Thayans seeing being part of the Griffon Legion as something akin to being part of the volunteer fire department. When their personal homes and property are threatened, they're a powerful unit. Otherwise, they're laid back and just enjoying having a fighting griffon and the ability to go flitting around in the mountains. MOST wouldn't see it as a path to advancement with their Zulkirs... that would be done by putting more focus on their magical studies than what this class provides.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000