Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 Lolth's Silence
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Thorin Stoutdrinker
Acolyte

Iceland
16 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2003 :  20:32:16  Show Profile  Visit Thorin Stoutdrinker's Homepage Send Thorin Stoutdrinker a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Someone here must have read a book from the "War of the Spider Queen" series.

I really wan't to know the date when she fell silent, or at least the year. It must be mentioned somewhere, at least in the first book. If anyone has a clue I would really wan't to know.

Edited by - Alaundo on 05 May 2003 21:24:11

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2003 :  21:35:10  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd have to go back and peruse the books again, but I don't think they give a specific year or date. I'm terrible when it comes to the actual time line when things take place in the Realms, but it would have to be at least a few years after the failed attack on Mithril Hall in Seige of Darkness (DR 1358) because Triel is now Matron Mother of House Baenre.
Check out this link to get your own idea - Realms Novels Chronological Reading Order

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2003 :  04:27:04  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't see them in there, Yasraena. I did find some very strange ones, though. I've never really thought about how some stories that never connected in the slightest way related to each other in time. Pretty interesting.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Thorin Stoutdrinker
Acolyte

Iceland
16 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2003 :  19:44:02  Show Profile  Visit Thorin Stoutdrinker's Homepage Send Thorin Stoutdrinker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok the first year this could have happened is 1373. When it happens Randal Morn has ruled Daggerdale for more then 4 years and he assumed leadership in 1369 so I guess it happened 1374 wich was the time when City of the Spider Queen was released if the storyline advances 2 months for each 5 months real life.

EDIT: The above calculation is wrong when I say 1374 is the time when CotSQ is released, I advanced the timeline by 5 months for every 2 in real live when it was the other way around.

Edited by - Thorin Stoutdrinker on 08 May 2003 21:09:36
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2003 :  03:38:50  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DR 1374? That would be odd, considering the current year is DR 1372, and I thought the WotSQ happened before the return of Shade, which was DR 1371-1372 (check the begining of The Summoning, it covers the end of 1371 and the begining of 1372, and it's probably pretty close to 1373 by the end of The Sorcerer). Well, I could be wrong, but for some reason I want to say WotSQ begins in like 1370, but I am, as always, grasping at straws. I'll check it out and get back to you.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General

Edited by - Edain Shadowstar on 08 May 2003 03:40:27
Go to Top of Page

Thorin Stoutdrinker
Acolyte

Iceland
16 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2003 :  21:06:00  Show Profile  Visit Thorin Stoutdrinker's Homepage Send Thorin Stoutdrinker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's get technical, I looked it up and in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting there is a sidebar on page 260 named Advancing the Years. It states that for every 5 months going on real life, 2 months would advance on Toril.

I'm not sure but I think the campaign setting was released in February 2002, just over 15 months from now wich means 6 months have passed in Forgotten Realms. The campaign started on Shieldmeet 1372 so now it should be Hammer 1373, the new year just begining.

City of the Spider Queen was released August 2002, 7 months after FRCS wich gives us almost 3 months in FR time, late Marpenoth or early Uktar 1372. As the caimpagn begins 60 days after the silence we get that the Silance began late Eleasis or early Eleint.

Of course this is just a waste of time if they decided not to go closely by the rules in the sidebar in FRCS.

But other than that we get that at the begining of the CotSQ campaign 60 days after the silence Randal Morn has controlled Daggerdale for more then 4 years. He assumed control 1369 and 4 years later is 1373 if my math skills are doing me honor.

I think they haven't decided a special date for the silence yet. Allowing DM's to set the campaign when they need to. So guess everyone is right.
Go to Top of Page

Thorin Stoutdrinker
Acolyte

Iceland
16 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2003 :  21:13:15  Show Profile  Visit Thorin Stoutdrinker's Homepage Send Thorin Stoutdrinker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Edain Shadowstar

DR 1374? That would be odd, considering the current year is DR 1372, and I thought the WotSQ happened before the return of Shade, which was DR 1371-1372 (check the begining of The Summoning, it covers the end of 1371 and the begining of 1372, and it's probably pretty close to 1373 by the end of The Sorcerer).

It is stated that the City of the Shade appaers in Hammer 1372 wich is the first month of that year so you are pretty close when you say 1371-1372.
Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2003 :  16:19:12  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the spider queen is by the way a stupid old hag who shuld bow befor Cyric
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2003 :  18:23:01  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How dare you insult the queen of the Demonweb Pits! The one who has given rise to the most perfect race of beings Faerun has ever known!

Regardless, I would thinks that it would be reasonable of 1372 DR,
although I could be wrong.... Does anyone have a list list of Augathra the mad's list of years?

Hmm The closest thing I can figure to the silence of Lolth (or more specifically the Drow in general) is The Year of Risen Elfkin in 1375 DR (pg 78 of the FRCS). Being Elfkin and having to rise to the occasion of Lolth's silence seems like a good start... Any Ideas?

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2003 :  06:27:47  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cardinal Deimos
Hmm The closest thing I can figure to the silence of Lolth (or more specifically the Drow in general) is The Year of Risen Elfkin in 1375 DR (pg 78 of the FRCS). Being Elfkin and having to rise to the occasion of Lolth's silence seems like a good start... Any Ideas?

It's definitely not the Year of Risen Elfkin for the timeframe of the WOTSQ. That year is still two years off from the current Year which as of the last Sembia novel is 1373. The new series that Richard Baker is writing will apparently feature events for the Year of Risen Elfkin.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2003 :  10:49:20  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

It's definitely not the Year of Risen Elfkin for the timeframe of the WOTSQ. That year is still two years off from the current Year which as of the last Sembia novel is 1373. The new series that Richard Baker is writing will apparently feature events for the Year of Risen Elfkin.

Hmmmm, thats the Year of Rogue Dragons though! I dont have my resources to hand but is the Year of Risen Elfkin the year after that? Wonder what excitement that beholds! ::drool::

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2003 :  15:43:18  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad
Hmmmm, thats the Year of Rogue Dragons though! I dont have my resources to hand but is the Year of Risen Elfkin the year after that? Wonder what excitement that beholds! ::drool::

I thought that it went current year which is Year of Rogue Dragons, year I can't recall, then Year of Santa's Little Helpers......let me try to find a listing. Why is there no listing around whenever you want one?

Yep, it's

Year of Rogue Dragons 1373
Year of Lightning Storms 1374
Year of Risen Elfkin 1375

Thanks for the kick to my memory Rad. I knew Risen Elfkin was some ways off, but had forgotten what was in between it and Rogue Dragons. I know from his initial posting on the FR messageboard asking for suggestions to comments on the WOTC board, Mr. Baker has given the impression that the new trilogy he is writing will involve elves, a certain House filled with Daemonfey that hold no love for the elves, and I thought some tie in to the Year of Risen Elfkin.
Go to Top of Page

Solaufein
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2004 :  12:28:23  Show Profile  Visit Solaufein's Homepage Send Solaufein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi everybody...

Maybe we'll find soon the answer about the start of Lolth's Silence in the "Player's Guide to Faerun" :) . However is it true that there's really no information about that in "Dissolution", the first of the "War of the Spider Queen" Pentalogy ? Even in the others books (Insurrection, etc... ) ? :(
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2004 :  14:02:36  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Solaufein

Hi everybody...

Maybe we'll find soon the answer about the start of Lolth's Silence in the "Player's Guide to Faerun" :) . However is it true that there's really no information about that in "Dissolution", the first of the "War of the Spider Queen" Pentalogy ? Even in the others books (Insurrection, etc... ) ? :(

Welcome back, Solaufein
There is a short introduction at the start of each of the WotSQ novels describing the events surrounding Lloth, other than that, thats about it. Lloth doesnt feature at all throughout the novels.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2004 :  17:09:38  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Solaufein
Maybe we'll find soon the answer about the start of Lolth's Silence in the "Player's Guide to Faerun" :) .

I think the only thing regarding the Silence that the PGTF might have are references to it on the timeline that is to apparently be included within this product.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2004 :  17:10:49  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad
There is a short introduction at the start of each of the WotSQ novels describing the events surrounding Lloth

If I recall correctly, this portion of each novel is written by R.A. Salvatore.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2004 :  21:14:07  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

If I recall correctly, this portion of each novel is written by R.A. Salvatore.

Wow, i didnt realise that! I only thought Bob was involved at the "discussion table" with the authors and hadnt actually written anything in WotSQ. Thanks Sirius Where did you hear that anyway?

Lord Rad

Edited by - Lord Rad on 04 Mar 2004 21:14:31
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2004 :  11:24:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rad, I distinctly remember that each dust-jacket of each hardcover version (released so far ) of the WotSQ novels, mentioned the fact that the 'prologue/introduction' was written by RAS.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2004 :  14:21:43  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Rad, I distinctly remember that each dust-jacket of each hardcover version (released so far ) of the WotSQ novels, mentioned the fact that the 'prologue/introduction' was written by RAS.

Ahhh that explains it. I always remove the jacket so as not to damage it, as I take the novel im reading to work etc. I also avoid reading the inside of the jacket (and the first intro page of paperbacks) so as not to get even a slight idea of whats awaiting inside

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2004 :  18:02:14  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Additionally, if I recall, almost every time I see a new book in the series advertised there is some blurb with something like, "With an all new introduction by R.A. Salvatore" or something like that.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2004 :  00:56:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed you are right.

WotC advertising always seems to make a point of mentioning that fact at every opportunity they get. I don't see why though, the novels are a great story to begin with, and the calibre of the authors working on each of the various novels should be reason enough to purchase them...

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2004 :  04:43:38  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

WotC advertising always seems to make a point of mentioning that fact at every opportunity they get. I don't see why though, the novels are a great story to begin with, and the calibre of the authors working on each of the various novels should be reason enough to purchase them...

Apparently it isn't. Hence in big prominent letters at the top front cover of every one of the novels: R.A. Salvatore's War of the Spider Queen. Hey, if you're going to put up someone's name at the top, go with the guy who has been on the N.Y. Times best selling list. I don't blame WOTC one bit for doing this. I'm sure his name has drawn in some who might not have given the series a chance otherwise.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2004 :  05:52:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to disagree with you on this particular comment, Sirius -
quote:
I'm sure his name has drawn in some who might not have given the series a chance otherwise.
I've been surprised time and again by many of my fellow fantasy novel readers here in Perth, that have never touched nor read a RAS novel, and were completely introduced - for the first time - to the WotSQ series by following the works of the various authors involved.

Strange no...

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2004 :  15:27:44  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have to disagree with you on this particular comment, Sirius -
quote:
I'm sure his name has drawn in some who might not have given the series a chance otherwise.
I've been surprised time and again by many of my fellow fantasy novel readers here in Perth, that have never touched nor read a RAS novel, and were completely introduced - for the first time - to the WotSQ series by following the works of the various authors involved.
Strange no...

I'm actually glad to see other author's names are drawing in people to the series. It certainly wasn't R.A. Salvatore's name that drew myself or those around me in, but the story for me and my enthusiasm for the others.

I wonder if the success of this series might spawn others following this format. To that I mean the summit meeting at WOTC where this series' main details were hammered out. Granted, I don't think it will happen that often, but I'd be curious to see if the success of the WOTSQ might breed another mega-series.
Go to Top of Page

Prince Forge of Avalon
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2004 :  07:47:29  Show Profile  Visit Prince Forge of Avalon's Homepage Send Prince Forge of Avalon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way, through this whole dialog I've seen no ideas as to why she is silent or what the purpose of the silence is, any ideas......anybody......anyone?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2004 :  09:00:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think there is a reason for that Prince Forge. We've been exposed to very little detail about what is going on exactly with Lolth, and her resulting Silence. The fact is, most of the theories based on what little evidence we've been given about this situation have all but been exhausted.

You may also want to check out the WotCs FR message boards. There's always a series of (sometimes) wild theories about Lolth's current position popping up every now and then. Perhaps you should also do a search.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2004 :  17:04:58  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Prince Forge of Avalon

By the way, through this whole dialog I've seen no ideas as to why she is silent or what the purpose of the silence is, any ideas......anybody......anyone?

The only evidence we have are the opening prologues for each novel written by R.A. Salvatore. From those, it's clear that Lolth is undergoing some transformation and that's why she's silent. I believe one of the openings even has her noting that it's risky and she's vulnerable, but being a lover of chaos, she's still willing to undergo this action.

From that other board, I've heard various spins on this change: Becoming even more powerful, splitting off into more than one God, etc.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2004 :  17:52:46  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that Lloth is trying to become a greater deity and join the Circle of Greater Powers. After all, she is already an intermediate power and she is quite powerful already. Another theory is that she might try to get back into the elven pantheon and take over, killing Corellan and become the leader of both the drow and elven pantheon.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2004 :  18:15:36  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101
Another theory is that she might try to get back into the elven pantheon and take over, killing Corellan and become the leader of both the drow and elven pantheon.

There's a new theory I hadn't heard of. My money is on Corellon and company if she tries that. Bye bye for once and for all Spider Queen.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2004 :  03:47:45  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sirius, IF this theory is true, then Lloth is probably casting or preparing some powerful spell or weapon to use against the elven pantheon. After all, the Spider Queen isn't stupid and she won't pick a fight with Corellon unless she knows she has a chance of winning.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2004 :  15:50:36  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Sirius, IF this theory is true, then Lloth is probably casting or preparing some powerful spell or weapon to use against the elven pantheon. After all, the Spider Queen isn't stupid and she won't pick a fight with Corellon unless she knows she has a chance of winning.

Do you really see WOTC shaking up the Realms that much? I think if something like this was coming, we'd see more hints via the novel. This whole series has been very internal in my opinion when it comes to seeing other deities. I think whatever happens will involve other drow gods only.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000