Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 Lolth's Silence

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Thorin Stoutdrinker Posted - 05 May 2003 : 20:32:16
Someone here must have read a book from the "War of the Spider Queen" series.

I really wan't to know the date when she fell silent, or at least the year. It must be mentioned somewhere, at least in the first book. If anyone has a clue I would really wan't to know.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ywhtptgtfo Posted - 16 Sep 2004 : 07:55:43
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

ywhtptgtfo, here's the quote from the handbook:

Using his (Tzirik) magics, he created a gate and summoned Vhaerun himself, who attacked the apparently COMATOSE Lolth and injured her terribly.

This isn't incorrect since Vhaerun did smash apart that face of Lolth. The book Condemnation wasn't clear if that was the Spider Queen herself or just some kind of defense. Also, inside book 3 Phaerun (or was it Quenthel?) said that that was the furthest they could go to find Lolth. If she wasn't there, then the goddess couldn't be anywhere else.

With the usage of common sense, we'd know that door of her temple is not Lolth herself. What deity would place his or her big fat head unprotected? It is also said in other books that Lolth resides in her arachnid city, which of course resides beyond that wall.

In other words, Vhaerun did not hurt Lolth at all.

No, I doubt Philips Athens screwed up, since Condemnation came BEFORE PGtF.
SiriusBlack Posted - 22 Jul 2004 : 07:28:03
quote:
Originally posted by Ordin_Solandar

Jah mixing the rule book with the authors vision of things is not really a fair comparison. We can apply stats to characters, or make monsters greater or lesser then one another; but in the end its and authors idead put to paper...

I'm more interested in what's to come with Lolth and her followers than what has been detailed in any gaming product so far when someone attempted to review/summarize a series in less than a page or so of text.
Ordin_Solandar Posted - 22 Jul 2004 : 07:21:24
Jah mixing the rule book with the authors vision of things is not really a fair comparison. We can apply stats to characters, or make monsters greater or lesser then one another; but in the end its and authors idead put to paper...
DDH_101 Posted - 22 Jul 2004 : 03:58:40
Meh, whatever. Doesn't really matter now as the novel is the version that everyone will follow...
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Jul 2004 : 03:14:58
Can we kindly end the debate on which book is right or wrong?
DDH_101 Posted - 22 Jul 2004 : 02:57:30
I haven't read book 5. And from what you have said, it's Philip Athans that screwed up, not the writers of the Player's Guide to Faerun. Like I have said, PGtF came out before Book 5 so it's not their fault if the writer of Annihilation didn't do his research correctly and follow up with the other writers.
ywhtptgtfo Posted - 22 Jul 2004 : 02:15:15
quote:

Using his (Tzirik) magics, he created a gate and summoned Vhaerun himself, who attacked the apparently COMATOSE Lolth and injured her terribly.

This isn't incorrect since Vhaerun did smash apart that face of Lolth. The book Condemnation wasn't clear if that was the Spider Queen herself or just some kind of defense. Also, inside book 3 Phaerun (or was it Quenthel?) said that that was the furthest they could go to find Lolth. If she wasn't there, then the goddess couldn't be anywhere else.

It is the door of her temple, actually. If you've read Book 5, you might already have known that Lolth wasn't even in the 66th layer at that time.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Jul 2004 : 03:18:48
quote:
Originally posted by ywhtptgtfo

It is still inaccurate, since Vhaerun has never seen Lolth in the 66th layer in book 3.

Many sources have had specific things that changed in later sources. It's not that big a deal, so long as there's a valid reason for the change. A sourcebook that predates fiction falls into that category.
DDH_101 Posted - 21 Jul 2004 : 03:14:07

ywhtptgtfo Posted - 21 Jul 2004 : 02:37:22
It is still inaccurate, since Vhaerun has never seen Lolth in the 66th layer in book 3.
SiriusBlack Posted - 20 Jul 2004 : 04:26:04
quote:

ywhtptgtfo, Player's Guide to Faerun came out way BEFORE Book 5. It only covered the events of 1 and 2.

Actually, it covered the first three novels within the series. However, your point is still valid.
DDH_101 Posted - 20 Jul 2004 : 01:43:27
ywhtptgtfo, Player's Guide to Faerun came out way BEFORE Book 5. It only covered the events of 1 and 2.
ywhtptgtfo Posted - 20 Jul 2004 : 00:06:20
I doubt Player's Guide to Faerun is correct although it is still a canon source.

According to War of the Spider Queen series, Vhaerun was only knocking (rather impudently) on Lolth's door rather than attacking her directly. From what is written in Book 5...

*spoiler*
Lolth had:
1) Abandoned the 66th layer of the Abyss and her temple
2) Created a new Demonweb Pits somewhere else.
3) Transformed into many spider demons, which are slowly merging themselves back together

I suppose Selvetarm was there to defend the temple just so Vhaeraun wouldn't be stealing from Lolth's garbage heap and that Quenthel could meet Lolth's midwives

In other words, I believe the guy who wrote the part about Lolth in PGtF must've been slacking off.
Kuje Posted - 17 Jul 2004 : 20:24:12
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Drakul

Question. Is there any way I can get a link to a site that has detailed events that happened in WotSQ?? I need them for my Drow Elves of Faerūn group.

I know not of any official online resources detailing this... Have you not got the appropriate sources, yourself?

You could always hit google, and hope that some fan or group of fans has put together a detailed outline...

The Player's Guide has a brief run down on the first couple books.....
Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 Jul 2004 : 18:00:38
quote:
Originally posted by Drakul

Question. Is there any way I can get a link to a site that has detailed events that happened in WotSQ?? I need them for my Drow Elves of Faerūn group.

I know not of any official online resources detailing this... Have you not got the appropriate sources, yourself?

You could always hit google, and hope that some fan or group of fans has put together a detailed outline...
Drakul Posted - 17 Jul 2004 : 14:51:32
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Jul 2004 : 18:55:26
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Ah, the month of Ukta... I really must find out where on the calendar that month falls. It's obviously after Uktar, but I can't seem to find it listed anywhere else...

It's the new month replacing Uktar. Remember, according to the experts, if it's in a 3.0e/3.5e and it conflicts with previous sources, the newer version is one to go with.

All hail Ukta!

Ah, but the month of Uktar is mentioned right above the listings for Ukta. So Ukta is obviously a new month that occurs after Uktar.
SiriusBlack Posted - 06 Jul 2004 : 17:16:51
quote:
Ah, the month of Ukta... I really must find out where on the calendar that month falls. It's obviously after Uktar, but I can't seem to find it listed anywhere else...

It's the new month replacing Uktar. Remember, according to the experts, if it's in a 3.0e/3.5e and it conflicts with previous sources, the newer version is one to go with.

All hail Ukta!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Jul 2004 : 17:12:04
quote:

For Ryld's encounter with the cleric? No. However, page 170 of the Player's Guide to Faerun details the following:

quote:

16 Ukta 1372

Quenthel Baenre and her company reach the Demonweb Pits and witness Vhaeraun's attacks on Lolth. Selvetarm attacks Vhaeraun in the Demonweb Pits, and both gods plummet into the darkness.

Ryld's encounter with the Vhaeraun cleric occurs in the next novel, a short time later. Thus, we are most likely still in Ukta, 1372.

I hope that helps.

SiriusBlack Posted - 06 Jul 2004 : 16:34:45
quote:
Originally posted by rowwhenn

Thanks , it'll help a lot !
In France , you always need to wait 4 to 6 supplementary mounths cause the traduction ( i can use forums , but a novel is a little too big for me ) .

No problem and I'm glad I could help. If you have any other questions, please ask away.
rowwhenn Posted - 06 Jul 2004 : 15:58:59
Thanks , it'll help a lot !
In France , you always need to wait 4 to 6 supplementary mounths cause the traduction ( i can use forums , but a novel is a little too big for me ) .

quote:
Losing one worshipper won't make Eilistraee suddenly become a demigoddess, you know...

Furthermore Eilistraee has the great priestress Alauniira of Shenandoah & Quilue one of the sisters ...
SiriusBlack Posted - 06 Jul 2004 : 15:46:41
quote:
Originally posted by rowwhenn

quote:
Now, daddy, is another matter. However, didn't Ryld encounter a Vhaeraun force that included a cleric. I think if Vhaeraun was dead, the cleric wouldn't have been able to cast spells and I do believe he did so.

Have you an official year ? or better a mounth + year plz ?

For Ryld's encounter with the cleric? No. However, page 170 of the Player's Guide to Faerun details the following:

quote:

16 Ukta 1372

Quenthel Baenre and her company reach the Demonweb Pits and witness Vhaeraun's attacks on Lolth. Selvetarm attacks Vhaeraun in the Demonweb Pits, and both gods plummet into the darkness.

Ryld's encounter with the Vhaeraun cleric occurs in the next novel, a short time later. Thus, we are most likely still in Ukta, 1372.

I hope that helps.
rowwhenn Posted - 06 Jul 2004 : 15:40:03
quote:
Now, daddy, is another matter. However, didn't Ryld encounter a Vhaeraun force that included a cleric. I think if Vhaeraun was dead, the cleric wouldn't have been able to cast spells and I do believe he did so.

Have you an official year ? or better a mounth + year plz ?
Lady Kazandra Posted - 24 Apr 2004 : 06:46:57
Between the interwoven strands that make up the Demonweb Pits, are areas of nothingness - infinite depths of formless void. How then, will this effect both Selvetarm and Vhaeraun?.

I know the PGtF says nothing about what the consequences of this event are, other than the potential effects it will have on their worshippers in the Realms, but perhaps by better defining what exactly these formless voids are, or what effects they have on either mortal or divine beings, we can maybe hypothesize on what will become of the two deities.
DDH_101 Posted - 23 Apr 2004 : 23:57:15
quote:
Originally posted by Darth KTrava

quote:
Originally posted by Teflon

I agree, I wouldnt mind seeing males rule over the Menzoberrazan for a change.

That'd freak out all the females who are so used to ruling for SOOO long.... They wouldn't take well to being the subservient gender.

Darth, then it would just be exactly like what the males had before. The females wouldn't be able to do anything about it. However, I don't think it will happen since there are too many Llothites who would fight against any other faiths in drow society.
SiriusBlack Posted - 23 Apr 2004 : 06:29:10
quote:
Originally posted by Darth KTrava
Actually, that'd be an upcoming episode of "Jerry Springer".

And with that family, it would be a highly rated episode of JS.
Darth KTrava Posted - 23 Apr 2004 : 01:53:50
quote:
Originally posted by Teflon

I agree, I wouldnt mind seeing males rule over the Menzoberrazan for a change.

That'd freak out all the females who are so used to ruling for SOOO long.... They wouldn't take well to being the subservient gender.
Darth KTrava Posted - 23 Apr 2004 : 01:51:45
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord
Well, that pretty much covers it. I'd like to see Eilistraee reduced to a demigoddess, not entirely dead, just because then Vhaeraun could torture her.

Vhaeraun is in dire need of a Dr. Phil show devoted to him: "I hate my goddess sister because our father liked her best. Meet the God, Vhaeraun next on Dr. Phil."

Actually, that'd be an upcoming episode of "Jerry Springer".
SiriusBlack Posted - 01 Apr 2004 : 21:35:33
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord
True, if Eilistraee's "Crescent Blade" was lost, or Halisstra killed, it would put a smile on The Masked Lord's face, but I fail to see how it would increase his power. Losing one worshipper won't make Eilistraee suddenly become a demigoddess, you know...

Yeah, but if mom wakes up right before or after Eilistraee's Champion tries to kill her, it might change Lolth's to do list from:

1. Kill/Torment Vhaeraun
2. Kill/Torment Eilistraee

to

1. Kill/Torment Eilistraee
2. Kill/Torment Vhaeraun

then again, I guess no matter what, still a bad list to be on....

Shadowlord Posted - 01 Apr 2004 : 21:30:27
I'd like it if you didn't mention that again, Sirius...

Actually, what I meant was that if Lolth becomes more powerful, or is suddenly becomes "un-silent," Vhaeraun recieves nothing, and his followers are likely to enter into a civil war between drow that could create a terrifying rift in drow power, causing another race or nation to take advantage of it (much like Crown Prince Horgar Steelshadow/Kaanyr Vhok are doing in WotSQ novels 3-4).

True, if Eilistraee's "Crescent Blade" was lost, or Halisstra killed, it would put a smile on The Masked Lord's face, but I fail to see how it would increase his power. Losing one worshipper won't make Eilistraee suddenly become a demigoddess, you know...

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000