Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The city of Procalith
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2007 :  06:40:23  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
My main question here is, aside from the references in the 3.5 campaign setting and serpent kingdoms, what information is available about the ruins of Procalith in the current time? Is there information on them prior to the destruction of the city? I am... preparing something for my adventurers and would like to insure I'm not breaking apart from anything canon already.

Thanks all in advance,
/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2007 :  11:58:34  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My party visited Procalith, specifically to speak to the Seer of Procalith quite early in their (still somewhat short) adventuring careers. I gave the ruins a little bit of backstory of my own to explain a nearby fortress of a doomsday cult I needed to place but none of it was canon so I won't bore you with it.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2007 :  12:11:14  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darkmeer

My main question here is, aside from the references in the 3.5 campaign setting and serpent kingdoms, what information is available about the ruins of Procalith in the current time? Is there information on them prior to the destruction of the city? I am... preparing something for my adventurers and would like to insure I'm not breaking apart from anything canon already.

Thanks all in advance,
/d

Secrets of the Magister, pages 35-37.

There's also the Seer in the naga chapter of SK.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2007 :  15:11:24  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So my first post raises the eyes of a designer?

Thanks Eric, that will be much help.

Na-Gang, I would actually like to see what you did with the city (now that I have a canon source), so that I may be able to add to what is there canon-wise.

Thanks again,
/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2007 :  12:01:01  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, you asked for it Darkmeer:

First some background on my campaign's Gargauth (I've rejigged the timeline a little):

The Arch-Devil Gargauth, banished from his home in the Nine Hells, had long ago found himself in Faerun and found it to his liking. He found himself allied to (in his mind) but more an underling of (in truth) the Goddess Shar. In order to break Shar's hold over him he aspired to divinity and tried unsuccessfully to supplant the Yuan-Ti deity Merrshaulk (a deed later succeeded at by the Mulhorandi god Set who has supplanted Sseth after Gargauth brokered the deal between the Okothian Sarrukh and the Mulhorandi deity). Gargauth's attempt to gain worshippers drove the Yuan-Ti into civil war and in -404DR, Merrshaulk sent his avatar Sseth to drive Gargauth out. This done, the avatar remained in Faerun and became the Emperor of the new Yuan-Ti Empire of Serpentes. Sseth created a number of artifacts which became known as the Mhairshaulk Emeralds which held some of Merrshaulk-Sseth's divine power and were designed specifically to keep Gargauth out of Yuan-Ti domains. The Emeralds were spread throughout Serpentes and to powerful Yuan-Ti nests throughout Faerun. With the later collapse of much of the Empire many of the Mhairshaulk Emeralds became lost.

Gargauth was later trapped in a mirrored shield borne by a Champion of Selune and cast deep into what became known as the Dark Pit of Maleficence beneath Peleveran. Following Karsus' destruction of Mystryl (-339DR) Ao realised that the deities had become too powerful and decreed that each must divest themselves of some of their portfolios to raise demigods and lesser powers, to prevent a disaster on the scale of the one seen in Netheril. Having betrayed Shar on numerous occasions the Lady of Darkness saw the delicious irony in granting what Gargauth had always wanted - divinity. She imbued him with the portfolio of betrayal (which she held prior to Netheril's fall), and enojoyed his anguish, empowered, freed of Shar's yoke but trapped with nothing but his own reflection to gaze upon. The new demigod Gargauth remained trapped beneath Peleveran, in Selune's mirrored shield until freed in 1018DR by Tuelhalva Drakewings.

As for Procalith:

The city of Procalith was founded in 16DR by Calishite merchants and the priesthood of Bhaelros (Talos). Resurgent Tashalarans freed from the yoke of Yuan-Ti slavery march east to liberate the Lapaliiyan city-states and bolstering the nascent Procalith's numbers. It grew over time but was eventually destroyed in 1142DR by a "sorcery-driven storm during the Rage of Wizards." The priesthood of Bhaelros were blamed for the storm which destroyed the city and the few surviving priests were driven out of the now-ruined city by the few surviving inhabitants. These priests fled into the Delphin Mountains and built a Fortress, and over time became something of a doomsday cult (the Circle of Rust and the Worm) worshipping an aspect of Bhaelros and other deities, praying for the destruction of everything.

By the time Procalith was destroyed Gargauth had been a demigod, freed from beneath Peleveran for over a century. In that time he consumed numerous fiends and powerful creatures throughout Faerun. One of these was Maharishi, a powerful Guardian Naga with an interest in Serpentes who had become the foremost expert on Gargauth's old enemies - the Yuan-Ti, and the Mhairshaulk Emeralds which were a barrier to his increase in power and territory. Gargauth also played a small part in the Rage of Wizards, helpfully 'directing' the "sorcery-driven storm" away from Lapaliiya (he has a temple beneath Sheirtalar) towards Procalith, destroying it, giving him a location which would by it's very nature draw adventurers to him. Posing as the Seer, Gargauth sends these adventurers into the Black Jungles to find the Emeralds, and if they return to Procalith with an Emerald he has them torn apart by legions of Devils and has the gemstone stored safely away from both himself and the Yuan-Ti. In the deal he later brokered between the Okothian Sarrukh and Set he used some of these Emeralds as a bargaining tool since Set could never fully usurp Sseth until all the snake-god's divine essence (including that imbued in the Mhairshaulk Emeralds by Sseth 1600 years before) had been destroyed. Set later turned on Gargauth when he realised that the Arch-Devil was witholding a number of Emeralds to secure Set's assistance in his own enterprises.

There is much more backstory to the whole Gargauth business but the above is pretty much it as it relates to Procalith. My players have been fighting against this enemy and that, for half of the campaign not realising that Gargauth was pulling the strings. They know most of this, but there is a final wrinkle of which they are unaware and I won't post it here in case they should happen upon it.

Hope it makes sense to you.
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2007 :  12:03:08  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Secrets of the Magister, pages 35-37.

I don't have that book. Anything there that is wildly against my history of Procalith?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000