Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 What region did the original drow come from?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2007 :  17:57:00  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Illythiir elves were already drak skinned right? And they lived in temperate desert areas? Are there any remains of cities left from these ancient pre-drow elves? Or were they nomadic like the halfling tribes today?

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders

Dungeon Moron
Acolyte

41 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2007 :  18:50:58  Show Profile Send Dungeon Moron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you checked the Lost Empires of Fearun book. I'll bet you can find most of the information you want in there ;)

Succes ;)
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2007 :  20:23:21  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm pesky elven epic high magic destroyed all of Miyeritar mainly. Should 've known. But some smaller settlements of early Illythirians must have survived...

Anyway what were the dark elves like before consorting with demons and the like. They came from a different realm than Fearie?

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2007 :  20:34:37  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The lore is not clear about Dark Elves, it does appear their skin was darker then other sub-races of elves. There is some indication that Dark Elves became black Elves as a result of the Desent based on Lore/Myth of the early times. The Dark Elves were not called dark because of evil, the Drow clearly however are considered to have dark souls as well as skin.

The lore of origin from the planes has not been well described, they wete not the first elves to reach Faerūn, perhaps they came from a remote part of Fearie later, but my impersion is that they came from another place.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2007 :  22:23:02  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only source of information that I know of lorewise on the ancient Dark Elves is from the Evermeet novel. And even in that they were pretty much depicted as evil.

But according to all the lore, the Dark Elves were dark to begin with, maybe not the "jet black" they are now, but they were still quite dark.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2007 :  01:05:48  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ruins of ancient Ilythiir cities would be primarily found in The Shaar, Forest of Amtar, or at the bottom of the Shining Sea along the Lapaliiya coast.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2007 :  12:11:57  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Athamault ("The Iron Pit") in the Duskwood is a former Illythiiri stronghold.
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2007 :  22:47:41  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What would a stronghold like that look like? Iron Pit doesnt sound like a friendly neighboorhood...

Would this look anything like the ruins of Myth Drannor. What was their surface architecture like? High towers like most elves seem to favor? More like the treetop villages of Tangled Trees? Something else?

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2007 :  23:53:31  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, I was never comfortable with the treehouse the Elves built of those I have seen. The constuction appears to be of a type to kill a tree by not allowing it to grow its trunk. They do not blend into nature.

As for "Iron Pit" it does not sound like it blends into nature either, however it is posible that the stronghold was one with iron mines.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2007 :  01:47:26  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
page 58 of Lost Empires of Faerun describes Athamault as one of the greatest Illythiiri fortresses. A labyrinthine series of tunnels, dungeons and catacombs. It was one of the first subterranean structures that the dark elves built. They had laboratories there to create twisted monstrosities and to research spells so vile that even the modern day drow hesitate to use them.

So, no, I don't think Athamault was a very nice place.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2007 :  05:38:37  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Na-Gang

page 58 of Lost Empires of Faerun describes Athamault as one of the greatest Ilythiiri fortresses. A labyrinthine series of tunnels, dungeons and catacombs. It was one of the first subterranean structures that the dark elves built. They had laboratories there to create twisted monstrosities and to research spells so vile that even the modern day drow hesitate to use them.

So, no, I don't think Athamault was a very nice place.

Nope. And it wasn't the only one of its kind also. Not by a long shot.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000