Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Seaspring
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2007 :  05:05:38  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This is a town marked on the FR Atlas. It is south of the Vast Swamp in Corymr, on the east bank of the Darkflow. Anyone know if this locale is covered in the sourcebooks? Thanks !

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2007 :  05:44:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't immediately recall any particular reference to Seaspring anywhere in the lore -- there may have been something in "The Cormyrean Marshes" Booklet for the Elminster's Ecologies boxed set.

Otherwise, 'tis likely another location within Faerūn that's been marked on a map though has little actual Realmslore to support it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2007 :  07:16:38  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The name does not ring any bells for me; I read through The Cormyrean Marshes a couple of days ago and cant remember the town name. It is quite possible that I just missed it though.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2007 :  20:35:11  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Seaspring is not detailed in any product. It does appear on the maps also in VGtC and the 'Cormyr'-module, but no information is given.

I actually mapped and used this town in my Cormyr-campaign. There was a waterfall marked on the map (and had been ever since the old 'Grey boxed set' - it seems to have vanished now). So I made it a large town, perched on rocky cliffs beside a plunging waterfall, and ruled by a small council of merchants (who were REALLY controlled by Daerlun's Cult of the Dragon Cell).

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2007 :  21:03:24  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But how did you solve the disappearing waterfall problem? Cult of the Dragon hates waterfalls?

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2007 :  21:06:26  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the help, guys. I've decided to make Seaspring a ghost town in my own game.
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2007 :  22:05:37  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

Thanks for the help, guys. I've decided to make Seaspring a ghost town in my own game.

I don't know why, but I laughed out loud when I read this. I guess that we weren't that helpful.

Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2007 :  22:25:07  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Naw :)
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2007 :  19:56:05  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WalkerNinja

But how did you solve the disappearing waterfall problem? Cult of the Dragon hates waterfalls?

Well, I never mentioned the waterfall again to my players. If they are going to ask, I will reply: "Waterfall? Which waterfall?"

No, really, since Cormyr and Sembia seem to have lost some of their topography (hope that is the correct term) I have simply stated to my players that the retconned maps (since FRCS) are "simplified" versions of the "real" (older) maps - thus the waterfall and all the other retconned features still exist.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2007 :  20:09:38  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have done just that same thing really. It hasn't hampered us at all since I have all of my 2E maps laminated and hung in the game room of our LGS. In addition, one of my players has the FR Atlas on his laptop so none of my players have even ever looked at the 3E maps to my knowledge.

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2007 :  13:51:47  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

Nah, just grab one of the Cityscape maps and cut a piece out of it... and there you have a large town map! Although I thought that since this is a "border town", it probably should be walled and have a significantly large military presence within it.

Go to Top of Page

lokilokust
Seeker

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2007 :  15:27:18  Show Profile  Visit lokilokust's Homepage Send lokilokust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ghost towns can be quite interesting... and this gives me an idea!

yrs. in exile,
-s.j. bagley
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2007 :  22:14:39  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lokilokust

ghost towns can be quite interesting... and this gives me an idea!

Please share your idea with us!

Go to Top of Page

lokilokust
Seeker

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2007 :  02:01:36  Show Profile  Visit lokilokust's Homepage Send lokilokust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
just thinking of using Seaspring as a ghost town, or more a zombie town, i suppose.
the big baddies in the campaign i'm running are all involved with a cult of orcus, and i've been trying to think of an idea for the next adventure locale.
perhaps the town of Seaspring, only everyone there is dead and brought back as zombies commanded to continue whatever task they were engaged in at the time of their death, while being observed by a certain necromancer's apprentices.
(an experiment in entropy, in a way.)

yrs. in exile,
-s.j. bagley
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2007 :  22:24:10  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... it'd take massive resources to kill and turn all those (2000+ or so) inhabitants into zombies. There would be survivors - I wouldn't stick around if my neighbours started to drop like flies (unless it was an instant death for everyone via Epic magic). Not to mention that I don't think any single necromancer or cleric could control a horde of that size.
Then there are the merchants and the Cult of the Dragon to consider - especially the latter would not let it happen, unless, perhaps Velsharoon wished for it (the Cult does have some clerics of the Lord of Necromancy but politically they may be weak). But Orcus... hmmm...

I would suggest that if you want it to be "the whole town dies and turns into zombies" -type of adventure, perhaps Orcus or his divine servant informs the Dragon Cult of this Epic ritual. Maybe he promises the Cult something, or maybe this is linked somehow to the events in the new Cormyr-module? Perhaps this is even a favor that Orcus does for Shar? (unlikely, though). The Cult would probably pull out any "major" NPCs, its members and significant resources in and near Seapspring. They would also pull strings to keep out any inquisitive military forces, spies and merchants.

Have you read the module "Totentanz" in Dungeon #90? It describes a very similar situation in a large town...

Think of a clear motive for this kind of major event - whole towns don't just "die away" every day in the "modern" Realms. I don't think that an "experiment in entropy" or pure malice would fly if you have to think about convincing the Dragon Cult or thinking about the consequences of this act (experiments typically have a purpose or a goal). Unless, of course, the Cult of Orcus would do it without their knowledge or approval. But that might lead to some kind of retributive act if they step on the DC's scaly toes.

Actually, this has some potential if the PCs are hired by the Cult to investigate what has happened in Seaspring. When they report of it, the clerics of Velsharoon would rush to the town to gain control of this undead Horde.

Just some thoughts :)

Go to Top of Page

lokilokust
Seeker

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  14:42:12  Show Profile  Visit lokilokust's Homepage Send lokilokust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'unless it was an instant death for everyone via Epic magic)'
that's the way i reasoned it.

'Unless, of course, the Cult of Orcus would do it without their knowledge or approval. But that might lead to some kind of retributive act if they step on the DC's scaly toes.'
that's the plan.
this particular cult of orcus has an idea to elevate orcus to godhood and sees the cult of the dragon as direct opposition.
'Actually, this has some potential if the PCs are hired by the Cult to investigate what has happened in Seaspring. '
exactly.

yrs. in exile,
-s.j. bagley
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  20:36:53  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lokilokust

'unless it was an instant death for everyone via Epic magic)'
that's the way i reasoned it.

'Unless, of course, the Cult of Orcus would do it without their knowledge or approval. But that might lead to some kind of retributive act if they step on the DC's scaly toes.'
that's the plan.
this particular cult of orcus has an idea to elevate orcus to godhood and sees the cult of the dragon as direct opposition.
'Actually, this has some potential if the PCs are hired by the Cult to investigate what has happened in Seaspring. '
exactly.

Hmmm... Orcus is no longer a god?

Let me guess... those Fiendish Codexes have retconned this? I was still under the impression that Orcus/Tenebrous is a true deity...

Edited by - Asgetrion on 19 Mar 2007 20:39:03
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  21:10:36  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would argue that the divine status of orcus has always been contentious with ardent proponents both for and against.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  21:29:29  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

Hmmm... Orcus is no longer a god?

Let me guess... those Fiendish Codexes have retconned this? I was still under the impression that Orcus/Tenebrous is a true deity...

Actually most of the current core and FR material says he is not a deity. FR's changes started with.... the Player's Guide, where it says he resides in the Abyss and no deities reside in the Abyss, thus he can't be a deity and reside in the Abyss. Core material, ever since 3e, has said that he's not a deity even though some early FR material, namely Faiths & Pantheons, said he was. But as I said, later FR material changed that.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 19 Mar 2007 21:33:28
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2016 :  22:03:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Casts ***Raise Scroll***

I am mapping this region (once again), and noticed there is actually a very large chunk of Cormyr missing off the 4e map (mostly because 3e made this area 'go missing'). I was looking for anything about Seaspring, trying to figure-out a precise placement. Judging by other marked settlements, and the entries for them, I would say Seaspring definitely is right at that waterfall.

That being said, I would recommend using Nentir Vale's Fallcrest for this location - its PERFECT.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Oct 2016 22:03:47
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2016 :  00:27:54  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markustay - have you made a map of the region around Deepingdale / Semberholme? In my mind I imagined Highmoon becoming a large city in 4E - peopled largely by refugees from Tilverton, Ordulin, and the other areas of Cormyr and the Dales that were hit by all the Wars/Cataclysms of the 3rd/4th editions.

I've never really seen a good map of the area - likes its an afterthought :(
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2016 :  03:38:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Neither have I. The 4e one is nice - very pretty (as Mike Schley always does), but it is missing some stuff, and its just TOO 'focused'. The problem I've always had with this region is that it treats the Dalelands, Cormanthor, Cormyr, and Sembia (and perhaps even The Moonsea) as separate regions, that 'exist in a vacuum'. That means a LOT gets 'left out' because the maps are more focused on other things. That area you speak of is chock full of stuff, but most of it only appears in the Volo's Guide to the Dalelands.

My larger, 'Eastern Realms' map - the 'beta' map of my released Western Heartlands - was never completed; its very bare-bones (just the terrain). I no longer work at that scale, and it was also too ambitious, in that maps that size I tend to grow bored with a not finish (It extended all the way to the Endless Wastes). Now, a map of JUST Cormyr would be nice... but we've had that. Even if they are missing tons of stuff (I've pieced-together the little maps from the Volo's Guide - believe me, there is a ton of stuff missing). But I want more - I want the entirety of the geopolitical region, which should include ALL of the regions above (especially the Dalelands/Cormanthor - its is weird how they are kept separate, even though they completely overlap).

The problem with all that is physical separation, and I mean both RW and as it applies to the greater Forgotten Realms. Back when I was working with Eric Boyd (and YES, I do love saying that LOL) we had an idea of doing a series of regional projects, with interconnecting maps. 'The North' alone would have been like 9 maps/sourcebooks total (and more info and locales then you could use in 20 campaigns!) I had worked out a map to do this, with some overlap on each. It was a great idea, but we never got beyond the High Forest book.

But the idea was GOLDEN. Now, with the DM's Guild, we have lots of people writing for the Realms. What we don't have is tons of uniform, regional maps (that are layered, so 'DM only' items can be omitted for Players). Thus, I've divided the entire setting - all the way to the borders of Kara-Tur and Zakhara - into 'bite size chunks' that will fit perfectly on an 8½ x 11 at 300 PPI. The size is not only convenient for printing, but it will allow me to handle smaller sections of the world at a time (while maintaining consistency on a larger, 'parent map', so all roads/terrain/etc all line up correctly).

However, for the first map, I found I needed to actually do the first two 8½ x 11 sections together, in order not to split-up the Moonsea and part of Cormanthor (which is split, as well as Sembia, but since both will be available at the same time that should not matter).

Which also means the other side of the Dragonreach - The Vast & Impiltur - will also be getting done. Part of the reason for this decision was to keep a very old promise to someone... finally. I will probably do the Lands of Intrigue next, even though they are not adjoining, since I've already got perfectly functional maps of the Western Heartlands and the Old Empires (not that I have them up on my DeviantART site anymore). I want to map the areas I haven't before, or at least, haven't completed.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Oct 2016 03:48:44
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2016 :  04:51:56  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah - the region of Deepingdale is right between all the maps - Cormanthyr/Dales, Moonsea, Cormyr, Sembia maps all have it over on the edge or corner with zero detail.

The best one was from Cormanthyr, as it showed locations of a couple local things plus a handful of Semberholme elven towns.

I once saw a hand drawn one that looked pretty good but it again cut off right where I wanted it to go further :P
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2016 :  06:00:08  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Markus if you want a bit of a hand re the Impiltur map locations, let me know. We never managed to finish tweaking the one they published in Dragon magazine and I've had a few more thoughts since then after going back to some older sources ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2016 :  06:51:28  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Well Markus if you want a bit of a hand re the Impiltur map locations, let me know. We never managed to finish tweaking the one they published in Dragon magazine and I've had a few more thoughts since then after going back to some older sources ...
You, I, Eric (probably Steven Schend, but I haven't dealt with him directly enough to know)... all cut from the same cloth.

Everything is always a 'work in progress', because it can always be just a little bit better.

And YES, when I get to that side of that map, you and I have much to discuss. My last attempt at an Impiltur map was about 80% finished before I abandoned it. I keep figuring out new (and better) methods to work, which is one reason why I never get done. I think I'm plateau-ing right now (skill-wise), though, so its a good time to bang-out a map. Plus, I desperately need a distraction from RW politics.

And, this isn't the '3e style' most people are used to seeing from me. This is a whole new ball of wax. Much more 'old school'.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000