Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Attn: Alaundo
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2007 :  04:49:41  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

Several scribes have said that would like to see a DDM trading area at Candlekeep.

Any chance you could set up a Minis trading forum at Candlekeep?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 14 Mar 2007 06:07:12

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2007 :  05:06:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Tis an interesting idea -- one that's come up before, IIRC.

The problem with this idea though, is that potential scribes may sign up just to use the 'Mini Trading Area', which is something I've seen happen on several message boards, and disregard the rest of the Forum here at Candlekeep. Thus, I'm not entirely sure Big Al would want to endorse such activity... since it would tend to deviate a little from what Candlekeep was originally set up for -- as a community for FR discussion.

It may be more appropriate to simply set up a special "Mini Trading Scroll" in the D&D Products section and utilise that in place of an entirely new section of the Forum.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 14 Mar 2007 05:07:48
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2007 :  05:15:23  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The problem with that is everyone would be posting their have/want lists in the same thread so if someone made any alteration to their list other scribes would have to scroll through the thread

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2007 :  05:43:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed.

Both options have their drawbacks. Though, I'm not sure I am comfortable with the idea of seeing Candlekeep suddenly swamped by an influx of "D&D Mini fans" -- which is what a separate "Mini Trading" section of the Forum will likely generate.

Alaundo may have another perspective to offer.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2007 :  06:04:29  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

it wouldnt be that much of leap, after all Candlekeep isnt 100% FR board we do have a forum for Generic D&D forum and DDM sets ussually contain some FR related minis.

As for the issue of there being a large influx of board memmbers who arent interested in the FR and only joining the minis forum. I think it will happan people looking for minis would be better off posting at Maxminis or Hordlings where there going to reach a larger number of traders

If Alaundo still has concerns Id suggest that he allows a new minis trading forum on the site but with a clause that it may be taken down if it causes problems

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2007 :  06:15:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That may be the best option.

I'd want to establish strict guidelines for use, that's a certainty. And we should probably try to encourage scribes, who are perhaps only interested in talking about minis and their stats, to expand their interests somewhat and attempt to discuss FR-based campaigns based on their experiences with D&D minis. That'd fit well with the general scope of FR game play that's the feature of the Running the Realms section.

There is some potential for this idea to work here.

Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2007 :  15:46:53  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

I definately could see an issue with this, as Sage points out.

I also am 'somewhat' familiar with the other sites that are specifically, or nearly specifically set up for Minis chat etc. They intimidate me to say the least. I have dabbled with the minis game - and may do some more - but first and foremost is their use in my FR RP game.

Perhaps another solution would be to create a new forum - but have it access-restricted. We could see what scribes who are already present are interested and allow them to join by a permission system or somesuch. We could even have some guideline for a minimum degree of previous 'keep involvement before allowing admission. *Say, 50 posts or something.* this would make it very difficult for someone interested 'solely' in the minis section to make it - and if they tried - it would probably become fairly clear that they were trying to 'pad' their post count to get to the threshold for admission.

For me - it also probably boils down to two other factors:

1) Time. I am not sure how some scribes here do it. You work, have a family, and post here a lot. And it seems - frequent other online messageboards too! I find I have to be selective with some of the threads i read - just to try and keep up! So - having a section here would allow me to possibly do some trading, while not having to add another site to my already time-crunched surfing. :)

2) Trust. I 'know' a lot of you. Ive met one of you *Waves at Eytan!* and feel that I can trust those here. People at another site - maybe not as much.

Anyway - what will be will be. Just my $.25 - since I thought that was a bit longer than 2 cents!

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2007 :  20:41:21  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Hmmm, I have considered this before, Dargoth and have to agree with The Sage on this matter.

However, being as you raised it and with the Code of Conduct guidelines, we could perhaps give it a try. For better control, we could have this area under post moderation (posts do not appear immediately, but are released by a moderator).

I'll discuss this in private with my fellow moderators and get back to you

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2007 :  17:58:52  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

I was not even aware that a post-delay system was possible. :)

This would also work - but I dont want to overly burden the moderators any more than they already are.

But please - discuss away and whatever the outcome - I appreciate your willingness to listen and consider. :)

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2007 :  22:50:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think it would be that much of a burden, since either myself, Wooly, or Arky are always here at one time or another. So the chances of posts building up before being released would be slim.

Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2007 :  23:22:46  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

I gotcha. However - I was not as worried about the post buildup - as another thing that you guys would have to keep on the lookout for.

*I* like to think of y ou as 'overworked' here. :) I dont want to add to that.

(*And if you are not overworked - well - lets keep it that way!*)

Seriously though - Whatever works best is - well - best! :)

Dhomal

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2007 :  23:42:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shhh! Don't say that out loud.

You never know when Big Al will come by and finally realise that the "hard work" we Candlekeep mods say we are regularly engaged in, is really nothing more than us just entertaining the Calishite Dancing Girls who have found a home here.

Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2007 :  04:57:50  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

I Definately dont know Anythihg about any Calishite Dancing Girls.

I honestly think you all (Mods) must have your hands full. I can only imagine how many uproarious rebellions you squash on a daily basis. That and pointing lesser scribes in the right direction and so-forth.

In any case - I will wait patiently for the deliberations on this topic to run their course.

While I'm waiting - dont mind any laughing or giggling coming from my chambers...

Dhomal

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2007 :  07:07:16  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dhomal

Hello-

I Definately dont know Anythihg about any Calishite Dancing Girls.

I honestly think you all (Mods) must have your hands full. I can only imagine how many uproarious rebellions you squash on a daily basis. That and pointing lesser scribes in the right direction and so-forth.

In any case - I will wait patiently for the deliberations on this topic to run their course.

While I'm waiting - dont mind any laughing or giggling coming from my chambers...

Dhomal

Well met

Oh ye don't know the half of it, my dear Dhomal. My staff of the irritated moderator +5 is so worn it merely resembles a frayed and battered twig these days

Calishite girls? here? Why I oughta...

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2007 :  04:55:29  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

Hmmm, I have considered this before, Dargoth and have to agree with The Sage on this matter.

However, being as you raised it and with the Code of Conduct guidelines, we could perhaps give it a try. For better control, we could have this area under post moderation (posts do not appear immediately, but are released by a moderator).

I'll discuss this in private with my fellow moderators and get back to you

Any further news?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2007 :  05:25:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm... as I recall, we reach a consensus on the issue and Alaundo made the final decision. He was supposed to have passed it along to you, Dargoth. It may simply have slipped his "mature" mind.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2007 :  09:27:25  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Hmmmm... as I recall, we reach a consensus on the issue and Alaundo made the final decision. He was supposed to have passed it along to you, Dargoth. It may simply have slipped his "mature" mind.

Well met

Aye, apologies Dargoth. I'll contact ye privately in a moment.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2007 :  12:42:48  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:

Well met

Aye, apologies Dargoth. I'll contact ye privately in a moment.

This "moment" is taking a very long time................

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2007 :  13:49:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Lady K always tells me that time works a little more slowly in the UK.

I didn't believe her... until now.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2007 :  13:53:01  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Lady K always tells me that time works a little more slowly in the UK.

I didn't believe her... until now.

Why I oughtta!

Many apologies Dargoth. Ye should now have a message in thy PM box

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2007 :  15:57:48  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
>>just entertaining the Calishite Dancing Girls who have found a home here.

Um, which door do I knock on, and what pass phrase do I use?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000