Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Depths of Madness: Chapters 14 - 19
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2007 :  21:01:56  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Depths of Madness(Book 1 of The Dungeons series), by Erik Scott de Bie. Please discuss chapters 14 - 19 ("The Splitting") herein:

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Gruen
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2007 :  17:37:23  Show Profile  Visit Gruen's Homepage Send Gruen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really, I'm the first to post about 14-19... Wow... Cool.

Ok, a lot of things about this Twlilight aren't sitting well with me. Did I miss something or is everyone confused about this 'mouthing his name, she invoked the powers he taught her'?

Also, she happened to know where everyone else was going (the ancient city). I know she said she scouted the paths, but it just seemed to be she knew where she was going a little to well. Maybe Twilight's paranoia is rubbing off on me. He he.

Finally, on a more silly note, what are with Liet's eyes?! Everytime I read about them (mentioned at least 2 or 3 times, I think) it reminds me of that psychic-character in the X-Men 2 movie. Someone should have poked out one of his eyes by now, just to reduce the creep factor. Besides, every story needs a one-eyed pirate, right?

Gruen
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2007 :  17:44:23  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gruen

Ok, a lot of things about this Twlilight aren't sitting well with me. Did I miss something or is everyone confused about this 'mouthing his name, she invoked the powers he taught her'?

Not sure which exact moment you mean, but I apologize for it being confusing as to who "he" is. The references to Twilight and her past relationships (specifically, the various men in her life) are supposed to be somewhat mysterious. This may be made clearer later.

quote:
Also, she happened to know where everyone else was going (the ancient city). I know she said she scouted the paths, but it just seemed to be she knew where she was going a little to well. Maybe Twilight's paranoia is rubbing off on me. He he.

The concept there is that she had told each of the individual members of the party which way they were going, and told them differently in order to subject them to her test.

quote:
Finally, on a more silly note, what are with Liet's eyes?! Everytime I read about them (mentioned at least 2 or 3 times, I think) it reminds me of that psychic-character in the X-Men 2 movie. Someone should have poked out one of his eyes by now, just to reduce the creep factor. Besides, every story needs a one-eyed pirate, right?

Ha! Yes, yes -- a one-eyed pirate would be cool indeed.

And who knows? That may indeed happen.

Or worse.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Gruen
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2007 :  18:09:14  Show Profile  Visit Gruen's Homepage Send Gruen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:

Not sure which exact moment you mean, but I apologize for it being confusing as to who "he" is. The references to Twilight and her past relationships (specifically, the various men in her life) are supposed to be somewhat mysterious. This may be made clearer later.

What I was thinking of was on page 188, halfway through the page... 'She hated calling on her other powers...'. It wasn't confusing as much as mysterious... and the last thing this lady needs is more mystery.

Gruen
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2007 :  18:54:20  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What I was thinking of was on page 188, halfway through the page... 'She hated calling on her other powers...'.

Oh.

Yes.

Him.

Right.

That's not Erevan Ilesere or Neveren she's talking about. It's someone much darker, and someone she really doesn't like, yet still *needs*.

quote:
It wasn't confusing as much as mysterious... and the last thing this lady needs is more mystery.

Promise this'll be the last one -- no, really!

Ok, not really.

What do you expect, when you spend 80% of your adult life lying about who you are, even to yourself?

A few of these mysteries, however, will be cut through. And I hope to expound on a few of the hints I drop fairly liberally -- but that depends, etc., etc.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 23 Mar 2007 16:19:48
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2007 :  15:46:35  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually think of the centuries-long lifespan of elves as a great advantage for them. It's really interesting that for Twilight it's worked against her by giving her hundreds of years of messy relationships.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2007 :  16:21:27  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

I usually think of the centuries-long lifespan of elves as a great advantage for them. It's really interesting that for Twilight it's worked against her by giving her hundreds of years of messy relationships.

Indeed!

Something Twilight might say: "Life's a b**** -- and too much of it is worse."

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2007 :  01:40:32  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Geez, I sure can't say I envy this lady.

I'm very sad that Taslin died. I know you warned me not to get too attached, but... What's interesting is how Twilight felt about her death (although she was saddened at Asson's death too, surprisingly). Her reaction suggests she had something like a crush on Taslin, but then I could be wrong.

The relationship between Twilight and Liet is among the most complicated (and non-ideal) I've read about in a long time, and I can honestly say you've been successful in creating a scary, madness-inducing atmosphere.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2007 :  02:35:14  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Geez, I sure can't say I envy this lady.

You said it!

quote:
I'm very sad that Taslin died. I know you warned me not to get too attached, but... What's interesting is how Twilight felt about her death (although she was saddened at Asson's death too, surprisingly). Her reaction suggests she had something like a crush on Taslin, but then I could be wrong.

I'd go far as to say that you are TOTALLY not wrong. Their heart-to-heart (and the conclusion to it) would seem to support that Twilight's feeling for Taslin weren't strictly platonic . . . and neither were they reciprocated.

Taslin's death is meant to be tragic, and rather abrupt, and thus to shake up the sensibilities of my readers.

quote:
The relationship between Twilight and Liet is among the most complicated (and non-ideal) I've read about in a long time

I'm glad you say so. Twilight really got more than she bargained for, here -- and I think Liet's growing more mature as time goes on.

My editor rather liked how Twilight occasionally turns him away, even after they're on the "naked together" level.

quote:
and I can honestly say you've been successful in creating a scary, madness-inducing atmosphere.

Thanks!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 27 Mar 2007 02:36:53
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2007 :  02:42:45  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd go far as to say that you are TOTALLY not wrong. Their heart-to-heart (and the conclusion to it) would seem to support that Twilight's feeling for Taslin weren't strictly platonic . . . and neither were they reciprocated.

Taslin's death is meant to be tragic, and rather abrupt, and thus to shake up the sensibilities of my readers.

When I read that scene, I was hoping that Twilight would turn out to be wrong in thinking that Taslin was dead, and that everything would turn out to be OK when it was over. What wishful thinking. So yes, it definitely WAS a shocker, at least for me.

Just wondering...did Taslin happen to have romantic feelings for Twilight? At least a little? After all, they were kissing quite passionately in an earlier scene, although Taslin doesn't actually reveal what her thoughts about Twilight are.

quote:

I'm glad you say so.

My editor rather liked how Twilight occasionally turns him away, even after they're on the "naked together" level.

And I like how Liet isn't overly quick to put up with that. He isn't the doormat he seemed to be at first (but then again, he went right back to her, albeit probably out of grief over Taslin's death).

quote:

Thanks!

You're welcome. I do like Slip too--she's cute. Heck, I actually like all the characters. Davoren continues to be entertaining (he's mean, but funny...).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2007 :  02:55:04  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

When I read that scene, I was hoping that Twilight would turn out to be wrong in thinking that Taslin was dead, and that everything would turn out to be OK when it was over. What wishful thinking. So yes, it definitely WAS a shocker, at least for me.

Lyrna . . . don't take this the wrong way, or anything . . . but . . .

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

There. I'm good.

quote:
Just wondering...did Taslin happen to have romantic feelings for Twilight? At least a little? After all, they were kissing quite passionately in an earlier scene, although Taslin doesn't actually reveal what her thoughts about Twilight are.

I suppose that's something you'll have to decide for yourself. Did Taslin do it because she cared about Twilight, or because she wanted to connect with someone, or "feel alive"?

It's certainly *Twilight's* impression that the sun elf only thought of her as a "friend," which thought is followed with that great "there are only three kinds of people in the world -- those who are lovers, those who are enemies, and those who are both" line that encapsulates so much of Twilight's philosophy.

quote:
And I like how Liet isn't overly quick to put up with that. He isn't the doormat he seemed to be at first (but then again, he went right back to her, albeit probably out of grief over Taslin's death).

Indeed . . .

Does he seem to you to grow stronger as she grows weaker? Guess he's the perfect support to lean upon in a situation like hers. It's not like she's connecting with any of the others, eh?

quote:
I do like Slip too--she's cute. Heck, I actually like all the characters. Davoren continues to be entertaining (he's mean, but funny...).

Yes indeed, on both counts.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2007 :  00:33:36  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Lyrna . . . don't take this the wrong way, or anything . . . but . . .

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

There. I'm good.

I don't take it the wrong way.

quote:

I suppose that's something you'll have to decide for yourself. Did Taslin do it because she cared about Twilight, or because she wanted to connect with someone, or "feel alive"?

It's certainly *Twilight's* impression that the sun elf only thought of her as a "friend," which thought is followed with that great "there are only three kinds of people in the world -- those who are lovers, those who are enemies, and those who are both" line that encapsulates so much of Twilight's philosophy.

Regarding Taslin's feelings, I thought the kiss was a mix of both those things you mentioned, although probably more the need for connection than romantic love. It's just hard for me to imagine two people kissing passionately like that (willingly) without there being at least some sexual attraction there.

quote:

Does he seem to you to grow stronger as she grows weaker?

Yes, he does. He seems more sure of himself.

quote:
Guess he's the perfect support to lean upon in a situation like hers. It's not like she's connecting with any of the others, eh?

You know, I thought that until I read Twilight's conversation with Slip. She seems almost desperate in her attempt to connect with Slip, because she thinks (rather than says, which might indicate a lie) that having Slip as an ally of sorts would be great if one of her companions turns out to be a spy. However, what if Slip herself turns out to be a spy? There's really no reason to trust her above any of the others.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2007 :  02:05:17  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Regarding Taslin's feelings, I thought the kiss was a mix of both those things you mentioned, although probably more the need for connection than romantic love. It's just hard for me to imagine two people kissing passionately like that (willingly) without there being at least some sexual attraction there.

Right on. My intention was for Taslin to be seeking connection -- and perhaps a little allured as well -- and for Twilight to view it as a sexual sort of thing. So one of them is ultimately disappointed.

quote:
You know, I thought that until I read Twilight's conversation with Slip. She seems almost desperate in her attempt to connect with Slip, because she thinks (rather than says, which might indicate a lie) that having Slip as an ally of sorts would be great if one of her companions turns out to be a spy. However, what if Slip herself turns out to be a spy? There's really no reason to trust her above any of the others.

Hmm -- true, true.

Could be that Twilight's just gradually going nuts.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2007 :  00:40:07  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

[quote]
Does he seem to you to grow stronger as she grows weaker? Guess he's the perfect support to lean upon in a situation like hers. It's not like she's connecting with any of the others, eh?

[

I hate to mix fantasy worlds, but oh well, here I go.

Their relationship reminds me alot of Caramon and Raistlin.
It seems to be not to healthy and Co-dependant. As Liet Grows, Twilight Diminishes.

But I get the feeling that if 'Light ever "Gets right in the Head",
That she may not appreciate a stronger, independant Liet.

P.S. I'm not sure if I like the cover as well as I did before I knew it depicted Taslin's death!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2007 :  01:22:16  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Their relationship reminds me alot of Caramon and Raistlin.
It seems to be not to healthy and Co-dependant. As Liet Grows, Twilight Diminishes.

An analogy well put.

As Liet (light) grows, Twilight (shadow) diminishes . . . hmm . . .

quote:
But I get the feeling that if 'Light ever "Gets right in the Head", that she may not appreciate a stronger, independant Liet.

Sounds like that would be quittin' time, eh?

quote:
P.S. I'm not sure if I like the cover as well as I did before I knew it depicted Taslin's death!

What can I say? It's a deceptive cover.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2007 :  02:27:51  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sounds like that would be quittin' time, eh?

I'm not too worried, she has a lot farther to go than she can in one book to be totally "Right in the Head"!!
quote:

It's almost like it was planned........

P.S. Since I already made a comparision to Dragonlance, I find it a good time to say I appreciate the way you handle the.... how did you say?..."Naked Time".

It is very reminisent of Tracy Hickman's concept of "The Boot Scene", you know where you see Capt. Kirk and the hot alien kiss, then the scene goes to commercial and when you come back he is putting on his boots.

We all know what happened, and get to fill in the appropriate blanks ourselves.

Your "set-ups" do just what I think you intend, and you leave us all to our own imaginations.

edit: Fixed quotes

Edited by - The Red Walker on 30 Mar 2007 02:40:56
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2007 :  15:35:51  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
It's almost like it was planned........

Heh -- I had nothing to do with constructing the cover -- that was entirely Erik Gist's contribution.

quote:
P.S. Since I already made a comparision to Dragonlance, I find it a good time to say I appreciate the way you handle the.... how did you say?..."Naked Time".

Why thank you. I've not yet had an editor tell me my love scenes are too much in the *NAKED TIME!* vein.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2007 :  02:46:49  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Heh -- I had nothing to do with constructing the cover -- that was entirely Erik Gist's contribution.

Well then, tell Erik I think he captured the Gist of the book!!!

quote:

Why thank you. I've not yet had an editor tell me my love scenes are too much in the *NAKED TIME!* vein.

How disapointing of you Sir!!!
I suggest that you steam your next work up so hot that your editor needs an oven mitt to handle it! Then when you revise it down a few degrees, they will appreciate your "Sacrifice"

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2007 :  15:29:40  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

Well then, tell Erik I think he captured the Gist of the book!!!

Yuk yuk yuk . . . Oh, I imagine Erik gets that a lot.

quote:

I suggest that you steam your next work up so hot that your editor needs an oven mitt to handle it! Then when you revise it down a few degrees, they will appreciate your "Sacrifice"

The "Greenwood technique," eh?

I think I'll follow his thoughts on the subject -- the WotC editors are so over-worked anyway that I don't imagine they have time to share steamy sex scenes around the office and titter.

(And yes, that's one of Ed's treasured activities -- writing scenes just to make his editors laugh/blush. THO's rather clear about that. )

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2007 :  01:24:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a quick drop in... particularly about something I've just read in Chap. 17 -

Erik, I was ecstatic when I saw the abeil reference on pg. 192. Woot!

Any particular reason why you decided to drop them into Negarath?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 31 Mar 2007 01:27:24
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2007 :  23:04:55  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Just a quick drop in... particularly about something I've just read in Chap. 17 -

Erik, I was ecstatic when I saw the abeil reference on pg. 192. Woot!

And to think, my editor wanted me to take them out, saying, "Why Abeil?" To which I replied, "'Cuz it's weird!"

quote:
Any particular reason why you decided to drop them into Negarath?

I liked the concept.

And for that record, that makes +1 fallen Nethese enclave in established/canon lore (and Negarath is a pretty odd one, too). Now, if only we could figure out where it was . . .

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2007 :  00:41:55  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's sad for me too, now. However, it's nicely detailed, and it even features Taslin's broken sword.

By the way, I really like Negarath...this may sound silly, but for some reason the description of the city (as well as the drawing on one of the front pages of the book) just screams "Dr. Seuss" to me, with all the rounded, nonsensical architecture.

And yes, it rally does seem like Twilight is now longer "quite all there". I'm not sure if Twilight is someone I'd ever want to meet, but she definitely makes for an interesting protagonist.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2007 :  01:52:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And to think, my editor wanted me to take them out, saying, "Why Abeil?" To which I replied, "'Cuz it's weird!"
It was unexpected, to say the least. And for that, I am thankful. Abeil were one of the more curious critters from MMII, and aside from some brief exposure in a semi-Planescape-themed alternate origin tale I wrote for them about a year ago, I've not seen abeil referenced as much as I would like throughout certain WotC products.

quote:
I liked the concept.

And for that record, that makes +1 fallen Nethese enclave in established/canon lore (and Negarath is a pretty odd one, too). Now, if only we could figure out where it was . . .
I've already added Negarath to the "Surviving Netherese Enclave Listing" in my Candlekeep's Guide to Forgotten Realms FAQ.

Edited by - The Sage on 01 Apr 2007 01:54:26
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2007 :  15:54:03  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

By the way, I really like Negarath...this may sound silly, but for some reason the description of the city (as well as the drawing on one of the front pages of the book) just screams "Dr. Seuss" to me, with all the rounded, nonsensical architecture.

That's totally intentional -- it's kind of a "Dr. Seuss meets Tim Burton" feel that I was going for.

quote:
And yes, it rally does seem like Twilight is now longer "quite all there". I'm not sure if Twilight is someone I'd ever want to meet, but she definitely makes for an interesting protagonist.

And the best thing is -- she's overthinking everything and driving herself nuts . . . unless she already *was* mad.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2007 :  15:57:48  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

It was unexpected, to say the least. And for that, I am thankful. Abeil were one of the more curious critters from MMII, and aside from some brief exposure in a semi-Planescape-themed alternate origin tale I wrote for them about a year ago, I've not seen abeil referenced as much as I would like throughout certain WotC products.

Yet another reason for my choice -- it's not done very frequently, but I thought I could make it work.

quote:
I've already added Negarath to the "Surviving Netherese Enclave Listing" in my Candlekeep's Guide to Forgotten Realms FAQ.

Excellent!

Three or four months ago there was that thread about "where are the surviving enclaves?" and that big NDA was choking me. Now, though . . . If you need any more info on it, let me know!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2007 :  16:10:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More lore on Negarath? Sure... send it along!

I'll include a special section in the CGtFRFAQ -- 'Erik's Thoughts on Negarath'. ::thumbs up::

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2007 :  17:18:03  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

More lore on Negarath? Sure... send it along!

I'll include a special section in the CGtFRFAQ -- 'Erik's Thoughts on Negarath'. ::thumbs up::

Hmm -- you might only want canon information on Negarath, and Wizards hasn't published any kind of official writeup on the upside-down city. I can extrapolate based on the revelations in DoM, though . . .

Where is this listing, by the way?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 02 Apr 2007 17:21:53
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2007 :  17:22:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye. I suspected as much... The entry itself will exist mainly as a reference source on existing Negarath lore until such time as the enclave's status is included in a future Realms accessory.

So, your own extrapolations on Negarath will do.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2007 :  00:01:15  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's totally intentional -- it's kind of a "Dr. Seuss meets Tim Burton" feel that I was going for.

It worked, to a good effect. Negarath might even be a fun place to visit if it weren't for all the other scary stuff in and around the area.

quote:

And the best thing is -- she's overthinking everything and driving herself nuts . . . unless she already *was* mad.

Cheers

I think she might well fall into the category of "neurotic", at least, and she definitely could benefit from therapy.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2007 :  00:05:18  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I think she might well fall into the category of "neurotic", at least, and she definitely could benefit from therapy.

Indeed. Twilight is definitely a woman with neuroses. And the whole journey through the Depths brings some of them to especial light -- particularly her tendency toward paranoia.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2007 :  00:18:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paranoia which seems part and parcel of Twilight's tendency to intentionally (and sometimes unintentionally) erect "walls" around herself as a means of isolating her from, perhaps, not only others, but her surroundings as well. She does make it very difficult for anyone to break through and reach her core self.

I speculated with Erik in private discussion that her almost inherent paranoia and need for isolation may, in some way, be a curious psychological effect of her shadowdancing ability... in that, she finds it difficult to make any definite or permanent connections with the world around her.

Edited by - The Sage on 03 Apr 2007 00:20:19
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000