Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 The Halls of Stormweather: "The Burning Chalice"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arkhaedun
Senior Scribe

869 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2007 :  16:09:14  Show Profile  Visit Arkhaedun's Homepage Send Arkhaedun a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met!

This is the Classic Book Club scroll for discussing the Halls of Stormweather story "The Burning Chalice," by Ed Greenwood.

Please discuss herein.

Edited by - Arkhaedun on 17 Feb 2007 16:16:52

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2007 :  15:35:07  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright, finished up the first story in the anthology, and I have to say that it was a great read. Not only did it set up the anthology, but it somehow managed to both introduce new nuances about Sembia that I hadn't really thought about while still reinforcing what I thought about Sembia from previous Realmslore.

It was interesting to see some first hand examples of how some things work from what Ed has said in his answers over the years, i.e. legal proceedings being witnessed by government officials and priests. I also liked how this set up the the Uskevren as a family that has a jaded past, but is also honorable compared to other Sembians. They still care about coins and status, but they also pay attention to aspects of "merchantcraft" that go beyond "buy low, sell high, by any means."

I am somewhat curious about a cleric of Lathander being involved in this deception. Its not that I don't think a Lathanderite would be corrupted, I'm just wondering the specific story behind this guy, but then again, while I wonder, one of the things I like about Ed's work is that there are usually about a thousand other stories that could spin off of the one at hand. Its also kind of ironic that in a way, "good" churches like Lathander's are probably more prone to temptation than "neutral" ones like Oghma's or Waukeen's, because the latter churches have to work very hard to make sure they have their reputations to rely on, whereas a church like Lathander's tends to be "assumed" to be "in the right."

This was definately a fun read, and an interesting introduction to Sembia, and with glimpses of other family members, it definately makes this story a good set up to the rest of the anthology (and series, I would venture to say).
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
739 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2007 :  09:39:10  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to echo KEJR's words -- whether anyone is still reading this olde scroll or not.

Ed's story -- and backstory -- sets up beautifully the pressure the Uskevren family would be under and mileu they'd be subject to at the time we glimpse them all in the rest of the anthology and probably rest of the series.

Good writing, as I found all of Thamalon's guests to be utterly despicable. From a not always fan, good stuff Master Greenwood!

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000