Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Of Half-Elves
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ranin
Seeker

88 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2007 :  16:55:32  Show Profile  Visit Ranin's Homepage Send Ranin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok I have a basic question. I know elven folk have no body or facial hair like humans do. But what what about half-elves? Am I correct in my assumption that half-elves may have a range of body and facial hair amounts,depending how much elven or human blood they have in them? What are everyone's thoughts?

Listen to the silence of the wilds, in there lies the wisdom of ages.

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2007 :  17:45:36  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, according to Ed, elves in FR do have body and facial hair and so the PHB is not 100% correct. :) So, I'd say half-elves do as well.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 22 Feb 2007 22:25:02
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2007 :  21:46:47  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Actually, according to Ed, elves in FR do have body and facial hair and so the PHB is wrong. :) So, I'd say half-elves do as well.

Really!!?

I always assumed elves were as smooth as a new born baby backside!

Though now I think about it, there are some pics of elves (in various books) with a goatee, but on the whole (social?) they are clean shaven!

Hmmm the Kuge strikes again

and the PHB being wrong, why doesn't that surprise me anymore

Delz

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2007 :  22:17:10  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delzounblood

quote:

Actually, according to Ed, elves in FR do have body and facial hair and so the PHB is wrong. :) So, I'd say half-elves do as well.

Really!!?

Though now I think about it, there are some pics of elves (in various books) with a goatee, but on the whole (social?) they are clean shaven!

Delz

Really.

Ed even mentioned elven females that shaved thier.... into shapes. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 22 Feb 2007 22:25:37
Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2007 :  22:17:19  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had always pictured Elves as being bare skinned, but I can see the occasional Elf having facial hair. I thought it was for aesthetic appeal more than a natural trait.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2007 :  22:51:15  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Delzounblood

quote:

Really!!?

Delz

Really.

Ed even mentioned elven females that shaved thier.... into shapes. :)

aahhheemmmm!!!

Sorry the Wife just walked in.

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2007 :  23:12:29  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And perhaps I'm being too scientific about this, but...why would elves be bareskinned and lacking in "facial hair" but still have eyebrows and hair on the top of their heads?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Ilztfryn Claddghym
Seeker

Canada
60 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2007 :  23:16:17  Show Profile  Visit Ilztfryn Claddghym's Homepage Send Ilztfryn Claddghym a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe we all pictured elves like that cause there has never been a elf with a beard. Do i recal a drow elf having a beard?

Ever dreamed of role playing in Faerun? Battling Obould's forces in the North or Pirates at sea? Join this board www.faerunrp.com/forum
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2007 :  23:26:59  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ilztfryn Claddghym

Maybe we all pictured elves like that cause there has never been a elf with a beard. Do i recal a drow elf having a beard?

Well, there was a bearded elf in the last Pools of novel that was based on the mid 90's/2000 Pool of video game.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2007 :  23:28:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Specifically, here was Ed's initial reply from December '04 -

"Now, as for the rather delicate matter of elven body hair, kuje, you KNOW Ed isn’t the guy to go to for WotC rules battles. The PHBs rule, of course, with one note Ed added (as we laughed together on the phone, remembering the “Do dwarven females have beards?” furor that arose at least thrice, down the years), to whit:

If you always treat the comments in rulebooks as “racial norms” rather than absolutes, and as DM encourage your campaign to be roleplaying-heavy and rules-light (so that book-quoting rules-lawyers can be calmly replied with, “Oh? Really? That’s odd, because standing right in front of you is an individual you can clearly see to be the elf lord you were just introduced to, and yes, he has a pencil-thin moustache and razor-edged, line-of-chin beard. Are you going to tell him to drop the silly magical disguise, or ask him why he’s a freak, or just trust your eyes and accept that he has the hair and go on with life?”), you can ‘explain away’ variants from the ever-changing game rules as “individuals who are different, that’s all.”

As it happens, all of the Knights can attest that Merith Strongbow has both (scant, but dark in hue and definitely present) facial and body hair (though unlike human males, he doesn’t get facial stubble if he doesn’t shave every morning, and in fact never needs to shave) and Torm of the Knights can tell you that certain elf ladies of his acquaintance definitely have genital hair abundant enough to be trimmed into shapes. A subject I’d probably better say nothing more about. :}"

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2007 :  00:37:31  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think part of the "no elf has facial hair" idea comes from that fact that in DragonLance this is flat out stated. Right off the bat early in Dragons of Autumn Twilight its pointed out that Tanis has to be a half-elf because he has a beard. Things get cross pollinated, and eventually the accepted idea is that elves have no facial hair (which then becomes the more emphatically stated PH statement that elves have no body hair at all).

The old Dragon Magazine that introduced snow elves showed one of the snow elves with a mustache, and the 2nd edition Monstrous Compendium page showing drow show a drow with a mustache as well.

Elves don't grow MUCH hair, and its rare for them to have facial hair, but not impossible. Just like elves tend to be thin, but there are fat elves out there from time to time.

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 23 Feb 2007 02:15:54
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2007 :  02:12:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

there are fate elves out there

Fate elves? Don't tell me another breed of elves has returned!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2007 :  02:18:24  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great spinning Winnegorge of Thr'henna . . . I need to quit posting tonight, given the lack of mental acutiy I've been displaying . . . (hm . . . I wonder if Fate elves are related to Ghost elves and Snow elves . . . )
Go to Top of Page

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2007 :  02:42:24  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
elven females shaved there whats into shapes?!?! lol

Unofficial Random Hiatus Taker.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2007 :  03:01:59  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

there are fate elves out there

Fate elves? Don't tell me another breed of elves has returned!

Best laugh I've had all day.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2007 :  03:11:53  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Genis

If you can't figure it out, I'm not going to tell you. :)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2007 :  03:31:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Genis

If you can't figure it out, I'm not going to tell you. :)

Alternatively, you can look over the reply I quoted from Ed above.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ranin
Seeker

88 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2007 :  22:01:41  Show Profile  Visit Ranin's Homepage Send Ranin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, I'm just remembering, looking at the images of the graphic novels of Salvatore's Dark Elf trilogy. If I'm remembering correcting, the male drow, as well as on the cover of some of the Salvatore novels, show them with long sideburns, and as we know, sideburns are part of a beard...

About elven females creating shapes...

Listen to the silence of the wilds, in there lies the wisdom of ages.

Edited by - Ranin on 23 Feb 2007 22:03:10
Go to Top of Page

Grehnar
Acolyte

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2007 :  22:40:11  Show Profile  Visit Grehnar's Homepage Send Grehnar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And, inevitably, here's the link to the typical shapes used by said ladies:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ag/20020628b5
You looked, didn't you? You had to, didn't you?
Shame on you, fellow scribes.
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2007 :  23:23:58  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grehnar

And, inevitably, here's the link to the typical shapes used by said ladies:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ag/20020628b5
You looked, didn't you? You had to, didn't you?
Shame on you, fellow scribes.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

There is always one.

Delz

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2007 :  23:26:01  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ranin

*Ahem*

Erik's not going to say anything about Twilight. Erik's not going to . . .

*Ahem*

Oops.

Nothing to see here, folks!

Cheers,

Erik
Shamelessly plugging his own work since 2005.

(P.S. Gah! -- "shamelessly plugging.")

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2007 :  00:15:41  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:
Originally posted by Ranin

*Ahem*

Erik's not going to say anything about Twilight. Erik's not going to . . .

*Ahem*

Oops.

Nothing to see here, folks!

Cheers,

Erik
Shamelessly plugging his own work since 2005.

(P.S. Gah! -- "shamelessly plugging.")

sorry do you need a torch?

I assumed you did with it starting to get dark!

Delz

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2007 :  21:54:43  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol no i can figure out what you mean i just enjoy the whole shocked and suprised/interested approach to things...

Unofficial Random Hiatus Taker.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2008 :  14:52:50  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fellow scribes!

I know this question has been asked and answered multibale times here at the keep. But I was unable to dig it up via the search engine so I have to ask it again and will misuse this thread 'of halfelves' for it:

I know that all elves breed true with each other.

But what is the what is the outcome of an halfelf and a human?
And that of a halfelf and an elf?

Thanks for your speedy answers.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2008 :  15:34:04  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have only one thing to say:

Human or Elf, Pick a side! We're at War!

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2008 :  15:56:41  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

Fellow scribes!

I know this question has been asked and answered multibale times here at the keep. But I was unable to dig it up via the search engine so I have to ask it again and will misuse this thread 'of halfelves' for it:

According to the FR box sets its: Half-elf + human = human. Half-elf + elf = elf. And two half elves = half elf.

Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2008 :  16:02:10  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
halfbreads (like halfelves) that mate with one of the races their parents (or grandparents if both parents is halfbread) would get that race as childen ... only expection to the rule is dwarves which no matter how little amount of dwarf blood you have will be dwarf (slightly higher or lower or thiner depending on the other race) ... this is written in Dwarves Deep ... also that some dwarves (specially females) mate with gnomes due to a 'general' lack of males due to wars and the like

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2008 :  16:04:40  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmmmm, good question. In colonial Spanish America there were illustrated race manuals to make sure everyone knew their place and their name in the racial tree: Spaniard+Indian=Mestizo; Mestizo+Indian=Coyote; Black+Indian=Lobo; and so on ad nauseum. I imagine Elves (like the Spaniards), convinced of the their racial superiority and the need for purity, would have these sorts of racial epithets for people of mixed racial blood. This might be a question for Ed; unless one of the sourcebooks deals with it.
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham

Edited by - Afetbinttuzani on 26 Apr 2008 17:46:38
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2008 :  11:54:56  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Fellow scribes!

According to the FR box sets its: Half-elf + human = human. Half-elf + elf = elf. And two half elves = half elf.

There we've got the answer! In the FR Box Set it was!

Thanks Kuje. Much appreciated.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2008 :  23:35:50  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Afetbinttuzani

Hmmmm, good question. In colonial Spanish America there were illustrated race manuals to make sure everyone knew their place and their name in the racial tree: Spaniard+Indian=Mestizo; Mestizo+Indian=Coyote; Black+Indian=Lobo; and so on ad nauseum. I imagine Elves (like the Spaniards), convinced of the their racial superiority and the need for purity, would have these sorts of racial epithets for people of mixed racial blood. This might be a question for Ed; unless one of the sourcebooks deals with it.
Afet

Some elves might do that, but I don't buy it that there would be some kind of universal naming system that all elves would use.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 27 Apr 2008 23:37:28
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  09:39:48  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another half-elven question, this time concerning his clerical path:

Would Corellon Larethian answer prayers from a half-elven Cleric?

Would there be another elven god more suited for the worship of a half-elf? Sehanine Moonbow comes to my mind...

Edited by - Ergdusch on 28 Apr 2008 13:29:54
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000