Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Bhalla / Chauntea
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2008 :  09:52:57  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all

A friend wants to play a Rashemi druid of Bhalla and wonders how she is portrayed differently there compared to the more common portrayal of Chauntea elsewhere.

IMO, since the Rashemi are somewhat less civilised (in the traditional 'western' sense of the word) than other cultures who more commonly worship Chauntea I would imagine that they worship her more as Jannath was worshipped in Netheril i.e. a goddess of nurturing and protecting all growing, living things rather than focussing on agriculture and so on.

Thoughts?

Is there any published lore on this?

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2008 :  10:30:36  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
if there is, its in unapproachable east

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2008 :  10:45:23  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

if there is, its in unapproachable east

That's what I figured, but this friend is borrowing my copy so I can't check and he says he's looked.

Is there anything in the 2E Spellbound box?
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2008 :  11:27:51  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unapproachable East does indeed have a little notice about Bhalla (in the section “Religion” on p. 139). There it is stated: “Rashemi religion focuses on ‘the Three’—Bhalla (Chantea), Mielikki, and the Hidden One (Mystra)–but also telthors and famous heroes.”

Given the combination of Chauntea with Miellikki, we can assume that Bhalla is worshipped as goddess of agriculture whereas Mielikki is worshipped as goddess of the wild, uncultivated nature. So Bhalla is not a parallel to Jannath of old Netheril.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2008 :  12:56:12  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayunken-vanzan

Given the combination of Chauntea with Miellikki, we can assume that Bhalla is worshipped as goddess of agriculture whereas Mielikki is worshipped as goddess of the wild, uncultivated nature. So Bhalla is not a parallel to Jannath of old Netheril.

Oh yeah, good point.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000