Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Forgotten Realms Comics
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  03:14:01  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

I agree with Wooly. The Drizzt's books are very well done. I can only assume Devil's Due will continue with that level of work.

Actually, I've not read any of those. The Sojourn I was referring to was one of the CrossGen titles.

well the Drizzt books are well done

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  14:31:35  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was actually thinking of buying the Drizzt comics, just for the heck of it.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  16:06:30  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I agree with Wooly. The Drizzt's books are very well done. I can only assume Devil's Due will continue with that level of work.

Actually, I've not read any of those. The Sojourn I was referring to was one of the CrossGen titles.

I'll agree with Wooly--CrossGen (despite all its faults, accounting or otherwise) put out some very intriguing fantasy-inspired comics with some high quality artwork and good to great writing.

Steven
who got the #0 and #1 of BRATH but never could find more and hoped to find a TPB of the whole series some time as it was a Celtic-inspired fantasy that intrigued him

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  17:37:03  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I thought you were referring to the Drizzt one too. But now that I know which one you are talking about, I agree that CrossGen's Sojourn is excellent. In fact I'd have to say it's one of my favorite titles, definitely worth checking out for any fan of fantasy comics.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  17:40:30  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Go for it, I think they're worth it. I've only picked up the TPBs for Homeland and Exile so far, but I will eventually get all of them.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2007 :  04:10:46  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

definately give them a try. the art alone is worth the price

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2007 :  04:19:03  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JamesLowder

quote:
I can't wait. Any idea as to when the project would come out?

Probably early next year, but I'm not certain yet. As soon as a formal and more detailed announcement can be made, I'll let the Keep know. Realms fans will definitely be interested.

Cheers,
Jim

not for ntohing, but when I read Blood Walk (I think thats the title of the book), I thought that ghostwalking hoarite would make an interesting comic book character. going from realm to realm in search of vengeance

the early adventures of the Knights of Myth Drannor would be cool as well

But thats just me

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2007 :  23:32:52  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, I'll give the Drizzt comics a try, when I have the spare cash.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2007 :  02:20:28  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm surprised at how good they are.

I admit, someone needs to watch the artist more carefully.

Around The Halfling's Gem, you start to pick up they are very lonely men the way they choose to draw Cattie Brie and Alustriel.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2007 :  02:29:00  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

Around The Halfling's Gem, you start to pick up they are very lonely men the way they choose to draw Cattie Brie and Alustriel.

*laughs* Tell me more!

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2007 :  02:33:54  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

name a comic artist not like that

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2007 :  03:00:46  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not a very good defense, Merrik.

:-)

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2007 :  07:38:53  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Hans Lindahl, Carlos Cruz, and Kari Leppänen.
All hail the Ghost Who Walks - who often dresses in a trenchcoat and calls himself Walker, sounds familiar to anyone?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2007 :  15:03:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

That was one of the things that made me get disgusted with superhero comics... Not that I have any problem with scantily-clad attractive women, far from it! But it was often ridiculous. Like in one of the X-titles. Havok was possessed and attached Polaris, who was in this lacy black thing (she'd been asleep). After being thrown thru a wall, her lingerie was intact. She gets away, gets dressed in her costume, comes back to fight him, gets tossed thru a wall again -- and her costume is ripped in places, including right on one of her breasts (which was bare underneath the costume, though it didn't look that way when covered).

Or how about the way that Rogue went from looking like an angry middle-aged woman to looking like a 20-ish babe?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 10 Nov 2007 15:04:23
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2007 :  15:05:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

All hail the Ghost Who Walks - who often dresses in a trenchcoat and calls himself Walker, sounds familiar to anyone?

I remember the comic in the newspapers.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2007 :  15:25:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye, I remember that one. 'Twas the "Malice" storyline in X-Factor Vol. 1 #104-105. Havok was possessed by Malice as I recall. I didn't particularly care for the story itself, and that wasn't only because of the art [the bit Wooly notes was rather pointless]. Fortunately, my favorite X-Villain, Mr. Sinister, later arrives on the scene to provide the only reason why I still occasionally read these two issues.
quote:

Or how about the way that Rogue went from looking like an angry middle-aged woman to looking like a 20-ish babe?
It wasn't just Rogue. Most of the X-Women went through that particular change [and several are still stuck in that transition] -- Jean Grey and Psylocke being two particular examples.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 10 Nov 2007 15:27:15
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2007 :  02:07:19  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats all true. But in defense of comics, their main audience is teenage boys (altough thats becoming less and less true)

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2007 :  08:23:13  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder what it says about me that I lost interest in comics when the female characters stopped looking like angry middle aged women?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2007 :  21:05:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

I wonder what it says about me that I lost interest in comics when the female characters stopped looking like angry middle aged women?

That you've got a fetish for angry older women?

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2007 :  17:05:56  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Pity, after roughly 1975 it was in many ways a self-parody (or just a plain drawn-out bore). Luckily for us Scandinavians, a Swedish publisher had obtained the rights to create own episodes for their bi-weekly Phantom-magzine (Fantomen [SW], Fantomet [NK], and something Finnish I can't remember which translates as the Black Mask) that still is my benchmark for what comics about a guy in tights with his underwear on the outside should be.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2007 :  17:47:08  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

That you've got a fetish for angry older women?

Jepp. They don't stay angry for long though
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2007 :  17:50:35  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Pity, after roughly 1975 it was in many ways a self-parody (or just a plain drawn-out bore). Luckily for us Scandinavians, a Swedish publisher had obtained the rights to create own episodes for their bi-weekly Phantom-magzine (Fantomen [SW], Fantomet [NK], and something Finnish I can't remember which translates as the Black Mask) that still is my benchmark for what comics about a guy in tights with his underwear on the outside should be.

In full agreement here Kajehase. And let us not remember that the same magazine (at least in Norway) was polite enough to keep Mandrake among its ranks also.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2007 :  18:18:41  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
In full agreement here Kajehase. And let us not remember that the same magazine (at least in Norway) was polite enough to keep Mandrake among its ranks also.

And erm...I think we're straying off topic...sorry to those who don't care about Scandinavian comics

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2007 :  19:18:56  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To help move this back on topic, I have really enjoyed the graphic novel adaptations of the Dark Elf Trilogy by Devil's Due. I need to look into getting the Icewind Dale Trilogy in graphic novel format now. Does anyone know if they are doing the whole Drizzt series?

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2007 :  22:00:17  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

To help move this back on topic, I have really enjoyed the graphic novel adaptations of the Dark Elf Trilogy by Devil's Due. I need to look into getting the Icewind Dale Trilogy in graphic novel format now. Does anyone know if they are doing the whole Drizzt series?

don't know if they have decided. I assume as long as they sell as well as they have, they will continue to do the books

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2007 :  02:46:44  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll bet they'll make comics of the whole Drizzt series.

I still haven't seen the comic version of the Halfling's Gem in stores, though! Bummer, I wanted to peek at it.

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2007 :  03:40:10  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'll bet they'll make comics of the whole Drizzt series.

I still haven't seen the comic version of the Halfling's Gem in stores, though! Bummer, I wanted to peek at it.

Those I believe are still coming out as comics. The Trade will be out in (I guess) a few months.

Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2007 :  04:14:49  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something said at GenCon by someone made me think Devil's Due was thinking of doing more FR stuff than just Drizzt, as comics. Just a hint, nothing definite.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2007 :  16:59:52  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Something said at GenCon by someone made me think Devil's Due was thinking of doing more FR stuff than just Drizzt, as comics. Just a hint, nothing definite.

I think that would be way cool. What you want to bet the next iconic character they choose is El?

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2007 :  17:22:54  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if it will be Cadderly or something.

Thanks for the information, as well--I'm interesting in getting the books, not the "comics" format.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000