Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Forgotten Realms Comics
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2007 :  05:10:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

well. thats 2. Hear that DC/TSR. Print 'em

Heh. TSR is long gone. They folded years ago, and WotC came riding to the rescue.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2007 :  03:29:12  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

well. thats 2. Hear that DC/TSR. Print 'em

Heh. TSR is long gone. They folded years ago, and WotC came riding to the rescue.

I know. I should have said DC/WOTC

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2007 :  17:57:48  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
there are some on ebay now

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

JamesLowder
Forgotten Realms Author & Game Designer

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2007 :  19:25:38  Show Profile  Visit JamesLowder's Homepage Send JamesLowder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

there are some on ebay now

A couple of notes:

Like Steven, I was one of the TSR licensing liaisons with DC. (I also wrote the text pages with character game stats in several of the AD&D issues, scripted the Realms/Spelljammer crossover in TSR Worlds Annual #1, and appear in the last issue of the Realms comic, in a room with Jeff Grubb and Elminster, listening to Elminster lecture about Mulhorandi pottery, I recall.)

In any case, the AD&D comics series, the Forgotten Realms series, and TSR Worlds annual #1 all tie directly to the Realms. All are worth picking up. Jeff Grubb's scripting on the Realms was great, and his artist was Rags Morales, known now for all sorts of important work at DC. There was a three-issue adaptation of the Avatar trilogy, too. That was not a glowing success.

The Spelljammer comic crosses over to the Realms. There was also a DC-published Dragonlance comic and a Gammarauders comic.

With the exception of Gammarauders, which was canceled pretty quickly, all the other comics were very successful. DC was so happy with the books that, up until TSR's owners blew the deal they had with DC and forced all the comics to be killed, DC was working toward releasing new TSR titles. The next one in the queue was Ravenloft, which I was set to script. I still have the plot for the first dozen issues here somewhere....

Cheers,
Jim Lowder
Go to Top of Page

Valdar Oakensong
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2007 :  22:20:49  Show Profile Send Valdar Oakensong a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I only scanned through the topic so apologies if I didn't see the mention. There was also 2 hardback comics published called The Forbidden sands of Anauroch, there should have been 6 but it got cancelled :(. They are quite hard to get hold of I think.
I wish I kept my records 'cos I'm sure I bought a load of comics from mile high about 3 years ago :P

Guns don't kill people, magic missiles do.
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2007 :  01:39:49  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JamesLowder
[br The next one in the queue was Ravenloft, which I was set to script. I still have the plot for the first dozen issues here somewhere....

Cheers,
Jim Lowder

damn. I would have loved to see that. Were you plotting stuff out already?

I have bought most of the AD&D and FR runs on ebay at fairly low costs. Good stuff. Nice art and all.

The Drizzt books out now are good I feel. Tim Seeley is excellent. I know they're doing Demon Wars, I'll have to check that out even though I'm not that big on those novels

Go to Top of Page

JamesLowder

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2007 :  02:04:51  Show Profile  Visit JamesLowder's Homepage Send JamesLowder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

damn. I would have loved to see that. Were you plotting stuff out already?

I have bought most of the AD&D and FR runs on ebay at fairly low costs. Good stuff. Nice art and all.

The Drizzt books out now are good I feel. Tim Seeley is excellent. I know they're doing Demon Wars, I'll have to check that out even though I'm not that big on those novels

I do indeed have the plot outline for the first 10 or 12 issues of the planned Ravenloft comic in my files. The book was very far along in the pre-production process--we were actually mulling over artists (I wanted Chris Bachalo)--when the license ended.

The DC AD&D and FR books can be had for reasonable prices, and are worth tracking down. If you're going to read the Realms series, don't forget to track down the slightly more elusive TSR Worlds Annual #1, which has a crossover story from the Realms book.

Devil's Due has done a great job with the adaptations. Very nice folks, too.

Jim

Edited by - JamesLowder on 25 Aug 2007 02:05:21
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2007 :  02:25:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I do indeed have the plot outline for the first 10 or 12 issues of the planned Ravenloft comic in my files.
Any tidbits you can share with us, Jim?
quote:
The book was very far along in the pre-production process--we were actually mulling over artists (I wanted Chris Bachalo)--when the license ended.
That's a shame. Though, Chris Bachalo would've been the right choice for conveying the "artistic atmosphere" of the Dread Domains for a comicbook adaptation.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 25 Aug 2007 02:26:30
Go to Top of Page

JamesLowder

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2007 :  02:40:53  Show Profile  Visit JamesLowder's Homepage Send JamesLowder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
Any tidbits you can share with us, Jim?

Bachalo was showing a lot of Wrightson influence at the time--he's done a lot more superhero work since then. That was why he leaped to the top of my list. I don't know if the editor ever contacted him, but I was told that he was a "good possibility" for the assignment.

The initial story opened in Waterdeep and transitioned to Barovia. The main characters run afoul of Strahd (of course) and are tasked by a witch with retrieving four items from four different darklords, including one new darklord, created for the comic. The initial pitch I put together ran a dozen pages, between the character descriptions and the plot synopsis.

Jim

Edited by - JamesLowder on 25 Aug 2007 02:42:08
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2007 :  03:42:09  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Like Steven, I was one of the TSR licensing liaisons with DC. (I also wrote the text pages with character game stats in several of the AD&D issues, scripted the Realms/Spelljammer crossover in TSR Worlds Annual #1, and appear in the last issue of the Realms comic, in a room with Jeff Grubb and Elminster, listening to Elminster lecture about Mulhorandi pottery, I recall.)

"Hang on Elminster, we've run out of tape... AGAIN"

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

JamesLowder

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2007 :  03:45:10  Show Profile  Visit JamesLowder's Homepage Send JamesLowder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma"Hang on Elminster, we've run out of tape... AGAIN"

That's the panel. And it was very kind of Jeff to give me the joke.

Cheers,
Jim
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2007 :  03:46:05  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a side note, I have been reading all of the Forgotten Realms and Advanced Dungeons and Dragons comics over the last few weeks and have been adding the synopsis, cast of characters, year and location (when available) for each issue to my Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms. Hopefully I can finish before the next site update.

Xysma's Gallery

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2007 :  00:39:20  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

As a side note, I have been reading all of the Forgotten Realms and Advanced Dungeons and Dragons comics over the last few weeks and have been adding the synopsis, cast of characters, year and location (when available) for each issue to my Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms. Hopefully I can finish before the next site update.

Like James said. They are worth it. Good art and story

Go to Top of Page

IlexGarodan
Acolyte

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2007 :  08:06:26  Show Profile  Visit IlexGarodan's Homepage Send IlexGarodan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey guys! Just to fill you guys in on what's been happening with me.

I'm currently working on a 4-part audio drama based on the first storyline of the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons comic. If it's successful, I'll start working on the Forgotten Realms comic as well as the AD&D comic.

It's fan work, so, obviously, neither I nor the voice actors will be getting paid. I also need some voice actors. If you think you're good, send me a PM. I'll give you the details.
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2007 :  23:06:01  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, for my "sack of completeness" I managed to get my hands on the 3 part Avatar adaptation from DC. As James mentioned it was "not a glowing success" and I can understand why. Ouch, this one is actually painful all the way around, the art is abysmal.

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2007 :  16:10:52  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, for my "sack of completeness" I managed to get my hands on the 3 part Avatar adaptation from DC. As James mentioned it was "not a glowing success" and I can understand why. Ouch, this one is actually painful all the way around, the art is abysmal.

as bad as the Forgotten Sands of Anauroch?

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2007 :  18:58:55  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

as bad as the Forgotten Sands of Anauroch?

Far worse, IMO. The story was based on the Avatar series so it has that advantage over the plot (I use the term loosely) of Forbidden Sands. The art of Avatar is so incredibly bad that it almost sets a standard for badness. You'd really have to see it to believe it. The costumes are terrible looking, the hairstyles are awful, the pencils are bad, the inking is bad, it's really an amazing piece of work. I have to say that the art in Forbidden Sands is pretty good for manga, I just don't personally like the style.

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

JamesLowder

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  03:15:48  Show Profile  Visit JamesLowder's Homepage Send JamesLowder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A quick note. I recently signed on with Devil's Due as an editor and, perhaps, writer for their WotC-licensed comics. Details about the first specific project for which I was hired are still under wraps, but I'll let the scribes here know about it as soon as I can.

I first mentioned the project in a podcast interview here (which is mostly about Ravenloft and Dragonlance, but does cover a bit of Realms ground.)

http://www.dlcanticle.com/2007/10/31/the-dragonlance-canticle-episode-10-james-lowder-interview/

Cheers,
Jim Lowder

Edited by - JamesLowder on 06 Nov 2007 03:45:25
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  03:40:07  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

A quick note. I recently signed on with Devil's Due as an editor and, perhaps, writer for their WotC-licensed comics. Details about the first specific project for which I was hired to handle are still under wraps, but I'll let the scribes here know about it as soon as I can.

I first mentioned the project in a podcast interview here (which is mostly about Ravenloft and Dragonlance, but does cover a bit of Realms ground.)

http://www.dlcanticle.com/2007/10/31/the-dragonlance-canticle-episode-10-james-lowder-interview/

Cheers,
Jim Lowder

That's some of the best news I've heard in awhile. I look forward to anything you are attached to, and Devil's Due has done a great job with Drizzt and Dragonlance.

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  04:13:03  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

A quick note. I recently signed on with Devil's Due as an editor and, perhaps, writer for their WotC-licensed comics. Details about the first specific project for which I was hired are still under wraps, but I'll let the scribes here know about it as soon as I can.

Cheers,
Jim Lowder

I can't wait. Any idea as to when the project would come out?

Go to Top of Page

JamesLowder

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  04:23:30  Show Profile  Visit JamesLowder's Homepage Send JamesLowder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I can't wait. Any idea as to when the project would come out?

Probably early next year, but I'm not certain yet. As soon as a formal and more detailed announcement can be made, I'll let the Keep know. Realms fans will definitely be interested.

Cheers,
Jim
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  06:05:29  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I salute the AD&D comic and FR comic as the best ones ever made.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  15:14:51  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
they were good for sure. But they weren't exactly stern/buscema Avengers or Claremont/Byrne X-Men

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2007 :  20:30:40  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe, for me, it was a series very close to home.

It's been a very long time since comics were "fun" and they symbolized from my childhood what fun was all about.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  01:49:10  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

Maybe, for me, it was a series very close to home.

It's been a very long time since comics were "fun" and they symbolized from my childhood what fun was all about.

I hear ya. They were certainly of good quality. the artists on the two series are still going strong thats for sure

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  02:21:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really, really enjoyed both titles. But man, I don't know if I can rate them the best fantasy comics ever. The best D&D ones, certainly. But for fantasy comics, Sojourn was an exceptional title. The comic had nice glossy paper (as I recall, since my copies are now ash), wonderful artwork (better than the DC/TSR titles), great characters, and a very interesting plot.

It didn't have Kyriani, but it is still a strong contender for the position of Fave Fantasy Comic.

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  03:22:05  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
The comic had nice glossy paper (as I recall, since my copies are now ash), wonderful artwork (better than the DC/TSR titles),

I agree, but I am honestly surprised at how well the art from the FR/AD&D comics has held up. I look back at other comics from that period, and many just don't look as good to me now as they did at the time.

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  16:43:28  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love to work with Jan Duursema again under most any circumstances. She was the great and very consistent artist on the AD&D comic for nearly its entire run. Rags Morales was also a dream to work with (according to Jeff), but methinks they've both gone on to bigger and better gigs doing art for Dark Horse and DC Comics. At least Jeff's got the splash page from FR #1 hanging in his house; I never got around to trying to buy any art pages from those books, alas.....

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  18:36:51  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

I'd love to work with Jan Duursema again under most any circumstances. She was the great and very consistent artist on the AD&D comic for nearly its entire run. Rags Morales was also a dream to work with (according to Jeff), but methinks they've both gone on to bigger and better gigs doing art for Dark Horse and DC Comics. At least Jeff's got the splash page from FR #1 hanging in his house; I never got around to trying to buy any art pages from those books, alas.....

Steven

Thats for sure. Jan Duurscema's work on the new Star Wars title is particularly good.

I agree with Wooly. The Drizzt's books are very well done. I can only assume Devil's Due will continue with that level of work.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  19:02:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I agree with Wooly. The Drizzt's books are very well done. I can only assume Devil's Due will continue with that level of work.

Actually, I've not read any of those. The Sojourn I was referring to was one of the CrossGen titles.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000