Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Forgotten Realms Comics
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2007 :  18:12:01  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Something said at GenCon by someone made me think Devil's Due was thinking of doing more FR stuff than just Drizzt, as comics. Just a hint, nothing definite.

I think that would be way cool. What you want to bet the next iconic character they choose is El?

James Lowder pretty much confirmed same on Page 3 of this thread.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

JamesLowder
Forgotten Realms Author & Game Designer

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2007 :  18:17:26  Show Profile  Visit JamesLowder's Homepage Send JamesLowder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale
James Lowder pretty much confirmed same on Page 3 of this thread.

Realms fans will be interested, but nothing has been announced about the content yet.

Cheers,
Jim
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2007 :  18:24:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Something said at GenCon by someone made me think Devil's Due was thinking of doing more FR stuff than just Drizzt, as comics. Just a hint, nothing definite.

I think that would be way cool. What you want to bet the next iconic character they choose is El?

It doesn't have to be an iconic... The two DC/TSR titles intro'ed all new characters. Sure, there were some cameos, but the plot stayed focused on the new characters (except maybe for the Phases of the Moon story arc for AD&D; but even then, the comic characters carried the bulk of the tale).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2007 :  02:46:23  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

It doesn't have to be an iconic... The two DC/TSR titles intro'ed all new characters. Sure, there were some cameos, but the plot stayed focused on the new characters (except maybe for the Phases of the Moon story arc for AD&D; but even then, the comic characters carried the bulk of the tale).

I would prefer "new" characters myself. Though I still think that ghostwalker from the Blood Walk book is made for comics.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2007 :  16:19:08  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Truth be told I wouldn't mind seeing some new characters, either. And a new story--then, I can be surprised.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2007 :  03:59:43  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Truth be told I wouldn't mind seeing some new characters, either. And a new story--then, I can be surprised.

sing it sister!

Go to Top of Page

JamesLowder

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2007 :  20:30:31  Show Profile  Visit JamesLowder's Homepage Send JamesLowder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JamesLowderRealms fans will be interested, but nothing has been announced about the content yet.

The new comic book has been announced. It's titled Worlds of Dungeons & Dragons and will adapt short fiction from at least four settings--the Realms, Krynn, Eberron, and Ravenloft. Issue #1, on sale in February, is solicited in the latest Previews and can be seen here at the Devil's Due site:

http://devilsdue.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=95&Itemid=51

The first two stories adapted--in issues #1 and #2--will be R.A. Salvatore's "Dark Mirror" and Hickman & Weis's "The Legacy." Future issues will involve different characters and adapt stories from different writers. Each issue will include two tales.

I'm editing the book. Devil's Due first approached me about scripting for them, but then realized I had either edited (or, in one case, written) some of the stories they were thinking of adapting. I will be involving as many of the original fiction authors--at least those with an interest in comics and the time in their schedule--in adapting their own work. The other scripters will be people with a strong interest in the world.

I've seen the comments here about original stories. Right now, the DDP license only allows for adaptations. But your comments have been heard.

If fans here at Candlekeep have suggestions for what short stories you'd like to see adapted, I'm very interested in hearing them.

Cheers,
James Lowder
www.jameslowder.com
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2007 :  21:03:32  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JamesLowder

quote:
Originally posted by JamesLowderRealms fans will be interested, but nothing has been announced about the content yet.

The new comic book has been announced. It's titled Worlds of Dungeons & Dragons and will adapt short fiction from at least four settings--the Realms, Krynn, Eberron, and Ravenloft. Issue #1, on sale in February, is solicited in the latest Previews and can be seen here at the Devil's Due site:

http://devilsdue.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=95&Itemid=51

The first two stories adapted--in issues #1 and #2--will be R.A. Salvatore's "Dark Mirror" and Hickman & Weis's "The Legacy." Future issues will involve different characters and adapt stories from different writers. Each issue will include two tales.

I'm editing the book. Devil's Due first approached me about scripting for them, but then realized I had either edited (or, in one case, written) some of the stories they were thinking of adapting. I will be involving as many of the original fiction authors--at least those with an interest in comics and the time in their schedule--in adapting their own work. The other scripters will be people with a strong interest in the world.

I've seen the comments here about original stories. Right now, the DDP license only allows for adaptations. But your comments have been heard.

If fans here at Candlekeep have suggestions for what short stories you'd like to see adapted, I'm very interested in hearing them.

Cheers,
James Lowder
www.jameslowder.com

That looks very nice indeed. Hopefully, then can at some point do both adaptations (which have to dat been very good) and original stories.

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2007 :  01:51:21  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Greater Treasure by Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2007 :  02:05:32  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Seconded. Also, Elminster at the Magefair.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 08 Dec 2007 02:05:54
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2007 :  02:47:28  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

quote:

Seconded. Also, Elminster at the Magefair.

I would like that as well.

By the way, if Devil's Due is doing adaptations, May I suggest a run at the Song and Sword books by Ms Cunningham along the lines of the Drizzt series

Go to Top of Page

JamesLowder

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2007 :  03:15:13  Show Profile  Visit JamesLowder's Homepage Send JamesLowder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCaleBy the way, if Devil's Due is doing adaptations, May I suggest a run at the Song and Sword books by Ms Cunningham along the lines of the Drizzt series.

"Elminster at the Magefair" is very high on my list, as are Elaine's stories. I'll check out the de Bie piece you mentioned. Not certain DDP is looking to add more novel adaptations, but I agree that Elaine's would make for good comics.

Cheers,
Jim
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2007 :  14:23:53  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCaleBy the way, if Devil's Due is doing adaptations, May I suggest a run at the Song and Sword books by Ms Cunningham along the lines of the Drizzt series.

"Elminster at the Magefair" is very high on my list, as are Elaine's stories. I'll check out the de Bie piece you mentioned. Not certain DDP is looking to add more novel adaptations, but I agree that Elaine's would make for good comics.

Cheers,
Jim

I understand that going thru the Drizzt books could take awhile, but are they stopping at the original DL trilogy or will get more Dragonlance?

Go to Top of Page

JamesLowder

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2007 :  16:27:01  Show Profile  Visit JamesLowder's Homepage Send JamesLowder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCaleI understand that going thru the Drizzt books could take awhile, but are they stopping at the original DL trilogy or will get more Dragonlance?

I don't know what the plans are for the DL-dedicated book, only Worlds of D&D, which will have DL content.

Cheers,
Jim
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  04:20:45  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Cheers,
Jim

Ghostwalker by Mr. de Bie would be perfect in comic form, dark and intense.

Artus Cimber would also be a good character for a comic!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  04:26:35  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good one Red Walker. I could totally see Ring of Winter in comic book form.

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

JamesLowder

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  06:35:15  Show Profile  Visit JamesLowder's Homepage Send JamesLowder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brynweir

Good one Red Walker. I could totally see Ring of Winter in comic book form.

We're not looking at doing entire novels in the book, at least not yet, but there are short stories with the character out there. There'd be a bunch of higher profile characters I'd get to first, though--Elminster, Arilyn, etc, etc.

Cheers,
Jim Lowder
Go to Top of Page

Nimriel
Seeker

Sweden
51 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  12:13:28  Show Profile  Visit Nimriel's Homepage Send Nimriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Cheers,
James Lowder
www.jameslowder.com

Gorlist's Dragon by Elaine Cunningham!
Go to Top of Page

Nimriel
Seeker

Sweden
51 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2007 :  14:57:44  Show Profile  Visit Nimriel's Homepage Send Nimriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of comics does any other fantasy comics that you would recomend exist?(preferdly in trade paper back or hardcover form) exept CrossGen. The only fantasy comics I've read is Mystic, Meridian, Scion, Sojourn and Conan.

Edited by - Nimriel on 14 Dec 2007 15:06:01
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2007 :  15:14:12  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nimriél

Speaking of comics does any other fantasy comics that you would recomend exist?(preferdly in trade paper back or hardcover form) exept CrossGen. The only fantasy comics I've read is Mystic, Meridian, Scion, Sojourn and Conan.

You've covered the good ones. The TSR/DC series like AD&D and Forgotten Realms were both excellent. There was also a brief Spelljammer series that I never read.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2007 :  16:12:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Nimriél

You've covered the good ones. The TSR/DC series like AD&D and Forgotten Realms were both excellent. There was also a brief Spelljammer series that I never read.

Spelljammer started off okay. It was really starting to get interesting when all the DC/TSR titles got the axe. This was quite disappointing to me.

The was also a Dragonlance title. I believe it was the first of the DC/TSR titles. It, too, wasn't bad, but suffered from the same stagnation problems facing the Dragonlance setting at the time. The DL title jumped around in time, and also hopped around to different unrelated characters -- one story arc would focus on one character, then the next would focus on another... They eventually decided to stick with one character, but even with her, they still had at least one story arc set a few decades in the future.

I really liked the Crossgen title Sojourn, but I bailed on comics while it was still running. Other than the DC/TSR stuff, that was the only fantasy comic I'd read. Most of the ones I saw simply didn't look like they were worth my time.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

JamesLowder

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2008 :  23:56:19  Show Profile  Visit JamesLowder's Homepage Send JamesLowder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Devil's Due just sent out a press release on the new Worlds of Dungeons & Dragons series.

http://www.comicbox.com/index.php/news-english/new-dungeons-dragons-series-getting-lowder/

Things are really shaping up nicely for the book. Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Jim Lowder
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  02:25:59  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what stories are you locked into?

Go to Top of Page

JamesLowder

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  02:55:05  Show Profile  Visit JamesLowder's Homepage Send JamesLowder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

what stories are you locked into?

I have the contents roughed out for ten or eleven issues, with the first eight issues fairly solid, in terms of what will be running when. I have a longer-term list of some of the other stories I'd like to see adapted, too, and have been working with some writers on what they'd like to adapt from their own work. We'll announce specific stories as the issues approach. I don't want to give away too much too far ahead. It's safe to say that the Realms will be represented in most issues, with a variety of characters covered.

Issues 1 and 2 will contain the Realms story "Dark Mirror" and the Dragonlance story "The Legacy." Issue 3 will have the first half of a two-part Realms story and a stand-alone Ravenloft story. I should be able to announce which tales those are very shortly.

Cheers,
Jim
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  03:04:25  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, the Worlds of Dungeons & Dragons series sounds fantastic.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  03:24:40  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Issues 1 and 2 will contain the Realms story "Dark Mirror" and the Dragonlance story "The Legacy." Issue 3 will have the first half of a two-part Realms story and a stand-alone Ravenloft story. I should be able to announce which tales those are very shortly.

Cheers,
Jim

I look forward to that!

Go to Top of Page

JamesLowder

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  03:40:50  Show Profile  Visit JamesLowder's Homepage Send JamesLowder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

Wow, the Worlds of Dungeons & Dragons series sounds fantastic.

Thanks, Brian. I hope it lives up to its promise.

Working on the editorial side of the comic has been quite an experience, and finding myself directly involved with these settings and characters--the Realms and Ravenloft material in particular--has been somewhat strange after a decade or so away.

I had a particularly vertiginous moment when I was reviewing the outline for "Dark Mirror" with Nick Schley, who is scripting the story for issues 1 and 2. As I was typing out notes for Nick, I was struck by a sudden, vivid flashback to the original editing of the story for Realms of Valor, in particular a conversation I had with Bob Salvatore back in 1992 about the story's pacing and the spacing of the action scenes. Bob and I went a couple of spirited rounds on the review notes I gave him (it was the first time I had done story editing on his work, and my style was quite different from his regular editor at the time, Eric Severson), but we hammered out a great solution--one that, oddly enough, ended up making the story much easier to adapt for the comic.

Cheers,
Jim Lowder

Edited by - JamesLowder on 12 Jan 2008 03:45:02
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  05:19:55  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
will the artist change from story to story?

Go to Top of Page

JamesLowder

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  16:24:51  Show Profile  Visit JamesLowder's Homepage Send JamesLowder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

will the artist change from story to story?

Each story will be assigned to one artist, if at all possible, so someone drawing a 40-page story will appear in two consecutive issues. But the two stories within any one issue will have different artists. I foresee working with some artists again on later stories, particularly if readers react positively to his or her art, but there will be a variety.

I'm working to line up a variety of cover artists, too. Each issue will have two covers, in different styles--sometimes radically different styles.

Cheers,
Jim

Edited by - JamesLowder on 12 Jan 2008 16:27:25
Go to Top of Page

Nimriel
Seeker

Sweden
51 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  19:18:10  Show Profile  Visit Nimriel's Homepage Send Nimriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will the storys, to the best of your knowledge, be collected in Tp or Hc in the future. Just asking since it´s much easyer to get hold of Hc's and Tp's than it is to get hold of regular comics. In my country that is.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000