Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Vampires in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Calrond
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2007 :  17:14:23  Show Profile Send Calrond a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I know there's not a lot published about vampires in the Realms other than the Jander Sunstar stories in a few of the anthology books. Is there anything known about vampires in the Realms such as their origin, organization (clan size and activities), or any special abilities that aren't listed in the Monster Manual?

I'm looking for anything about Realms vampires. I know White Wolf has a lot of information, but the World of Darkness is set in a darker version of this world, so the explanation of vampires as the descendents of Caine doesn't work.

Anything that's known about Realms vampires would be a big help for an upcoming campaign I'm working on. Thanks!

Calrond

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2007 :  18:38:48  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is no such thing as an organization of vampires that is related by bloodsiring in the realms as far as I know. The mortals former life would influence the vampires worldview considerably. The camarilla and the bloodline clans from white wolf's world of darkness can be a nice inspiration for certain vampireflavours from realms areas though.
I'd say the feral Gangrel clan is fitting for areas in the North like Silverymoon. The vampires from Westgate resemble Toreador and Ventrue schemers, maybe some insane Malkavians. The far east could get vamps similar to the distorted and twisted shadowlovers of the Tzimiche and Nosferatu clan. Brujah vampires are too modern to give flavour for realmsvamps (maybe some punky waterdavian vampires do exist in Skullport).

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2007 :  18:53:57  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Van Richten's Guide to Vampires from the 2ed. would be the best source on vampires in D&D. Its a Ravneloft product, but it would give you an idea on how the vampires are presented in the game.

As for in the Realms, there are no set rules for vampires, some are loners, some are in groups. The Nightking of Westgate and his cohorts in the 2ed. Cloak and Dagger supplement would could give you an impression.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2007 :  18:59:04  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to toot my own horn, but I did a 3-part series of adventures in Dungeon entitled "Vampires of Waterdeep". See issues #126, #127, and #128.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2007 :  22:34:41  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Not to toot my own horn, but I did a 3-part series of adventures in Dungeon entitled "Vampires of Waterdeep". See issues #126, #127, and #128.

--Eric

Which all happen to be GREAT adventures!

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2007 :  22:54:26  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's quite a few vampires in the 1e/2e lore (ya can find them in my list) and Dragon had a different article on them besides Eric's articles.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2007 :  23:34:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suggest you take a look through the original Lords of Darkness tome, which also has lore on vampires in the Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2007 :  00:04:05  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There also the Manshoon clone Vampire Cabal in Westgate

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wizbane
Acolyte

36 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2007 :  07:05:47  Show Profile  Visit Wizbane's Homepage Send Wizbane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's also a vampire baddie in the City of Beasts, in Shining South, if I recall correctly.

Van Richten's Guide to Vampires content isn't totally fitting with realms lore I think. For example, how do you consider your faerunian elven vampires?
I like the "black thumb" feature, but still consider them creatures of darkness, not creatures that can freely expose themselves to sunlight.
BTW, I'm playing with the idea of buildig a NWN2 module with an elven vampire villain.

Wizbane
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2007 :  16:34:50  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are also the vampires that changed Merrydale into Daggerdale. IIRC, a surviving member of that ancient group of vampires is featured in the Daggerdale sections of the Northern Journey mega-adventure that's now hosted on this site.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2007 :  18:24:29  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Halidan

There are also the vampires that changed Merrydale into Daggerdale. IIRC, a surviving member of that ancient group of vampires is featured in the Daggerdale sections of the Northern Journey mega-adventure that's now hosted on this site.

And there are also some tidbits and references in the novel Vampire of the Mists.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2007 :  00:01:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven's Empires of the Shining Sea has a little about what the vampires serving the Twisted Rune are like. See Master of Chains also -- specifically the sections dealing with Shyressa and her cabal of vampires.

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2007 :  02:44:16  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Not to toot my own horn,

you're allowed

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Calrond
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2007 :  03:51:18  Show Profile Send Calrond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the answers guys. I'm going to check out Lords of Darkness and see what it says. Also, if I can get my hands on the Dungeon articles, I'll check them out too.

I know there's also a vampire in Waterdeep and several in Skullport/Undermountain. I'll keep looking for any information I can find about vampires in the Realms. I'm considering running a campaign based around a vampire coven in Skullport.

Thanks again for the help guys!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2007 :  05:12:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Calrond, take note that I was talking about the original Lords of Darkness (REF5) tome, and not the 3e FR sourcebook of the same name.

Go to Top of Page

Korginard
Learned Scribe

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2007 :  14:40:48  Show Profile  Visit Korginard's Homepage Send Korginard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wizbane

Van Richten's Guide to Vampires content isn't totally fitting with realms lore I think. For example, how do you consider your faerunian elven vampires?
I like the "black thumb" feature, but still consider them creatures of darkness, not creatures that can freely expose themselves to sunlight.

Wizbane

That's the beauty of works like the Van Richten's guides. You can use what you like, and ignore what you don't like.
I do strogly recomend Van Richten's guide to Vampires if you're planning on making a campaign revolving arround vampires. You can use it to add variety to the Vampires. After fighting thru waves and waves of lesser vampires, the party should be faced with something a little more powerful, something that doesn't fall into the same old Holy Symbol/Garlic/Sunlight routine.
Remember also Vampire is almost like a template that can be placed upon other creatures. A Vampirc Beholder might be interesting. Vampric Illithids were done in Ravenloft. Perhaps a Vampiric Kobold.. might be nice to take a smaller underestimated opponent and make them something truely terrifying.
Go to Top of Page

Aureus
Learned Scribe

Luxembourg
125 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2007 :  15:03:54  Show Profile Send Aureus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
a Vampiric Aasimar would be...... surprising at least, in fact that's brilliant, an Aasimar really isn't some you would expect to become a vampire, ha, that will be some neckbiting, hehehe.......

That is not the weirdest thing that happened to me
Go to Top of Page

Calrond
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2007 :  21:47:54  Show Profile Send Calrond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Calrond, take note that I was talking about the original Lords of Darkness (REF5) tome, and not the 3e FR sourcebook of the same name.

Good point, although there is a little on vampires in the Lords of Darkness 3e sourcebook. I know that the FRCS mentions that there are vampires in Skullport, and Lords of Darkness mentions about a vampiress in the Twisted Rune organization and the vampire invasion of Westgate. City of Splendors even has a section on a vampire that lives in Waterdeep that keeps an eye out for other vampires in his territory.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2007 :  23:26:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. As I said earlier... EotSS and Master of Chains also have a little about how vampires operate in the Twisted Rune.

Eric's also shared a few minor tidbits about vampires in the Realms through some of his replies. Steven has also, mainly in regard to those LE vampires operating among the Moonstars.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000