Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Vampires in the Realms

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Calrond Posted - 08 Feb 2007 : 17:14:23
I know there's not a lot published about vampires in the Realms other than the Jander Sunstar stories in a few of the anthology books. Is there anything known about vampires in the Realms such as their origin, organization (clan size and activities), or any special abilities that aren't listed in the Monster Manual?

I'm looking for anything about Realms vampires. I know White Wolf has a lot of information, but the World of Darkness is set in a darker version of this world, so the explanation of vampires as the descendents of Caine doesn't work.

Anything that's known about Realms vampires would be a big help for an upcoming campaign I'm working on. Thanks!

Calrond
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 12 Feb 2007 : 23:26:20
Indeed. As I said earlier... EotSS and Master of Chains also have a little about how vampires operate in the Twisted Rune.

Eric's also shared a few minor tidbits about vampires in the Realms through some of his replies. Steven has also, mainly in regard to those LE vampires operating among the Moonstars.
Calrond Posted - 12 Feb 2007 : 21:47:54
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Calrond, take note that I was talking about the original Lords of Darkness (REF5) tome, and not the 3e FR sourcebook of the same name.

Good point, although there is a little on vampires in the Lords of Darkness 3e sourcebook. I know that the FRCS mentions that there are vampires in Skullport, and Lords of Darkness mentions about a vampiress in the Twisted Rune organization and the vampire invasion of Westgate. City of Splendors even has a section on a vampire that lives in Waterdeep that keeps an eye out for other vampires in his territory.
Aureus Posted - 12 Feb 2007 : 15:03:54
a Vampiric Aasimar would be...... surprising at least, in fact that's brilliant, an Aasimar really isn't some you would expect to become a vampire, ha, that will be some neckbiting, hehehe.......
Korginard Posted - 12 Feb 2007 : 14:40:48
quote:
Originally posted by Wizbane

Van Richten's Guide to Vampires content isn't totally fitting with realms lore I think. For example, how do you consider your faerunian elven vampires?
I like the "black thumb" feature, but still consider them creatures of darkness, not creatures that can freely expose themselves to sunlight.

Wizbane

That's the beauty of works like the Van Richten's guides. You can use what you like, and ignore what you don't like.
I do strogly recomend Van Richten's guide to Vampires if you're planning on making a campaign revolving arround vampires. You can use it to add variety to the Vampires. After fighting thru waves and waves of lesser vampires, the party should be faced with something a little more powerful, something that doesn't fall into the same old Holy Symbol/Garlic/Sunlight routine.
Remember also Vampire is almost like a template that can be placed upon other creatures. A Vampirc Beholder might be interesting. Vampric Illithids were done in Ravenloft. Perhaps a Vampiric Kobold.. might be nice to take a smaller underestimated opponent and make them something truely terrifying.
The Sage Posted - 12 Feb 2007 : 05:12:04
Calrond, take note that I was talking about the original Lords of Darkness (REF5) tome, and not the 3e FR sourcebook of the same name.
Calrond Posted - 12 Feb 2007 : 03:51:18
Thanks for the answers guys. I'm going to check out Lords of Darkness and see what it says. Also, if I can get my hands on the Dungeon articles, I'll check them out too.

I know there's also a vampire in Waterdeep and several in Skullport/Undermountain. I'll keep looking for any information I can find about vampires in the Realms. I'm considering running a campaign based around a vampire coven in Skullport.

Thanks again for the help guys!
MerrikCale Posted - 11 Feb 2007 : 02:44:16
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Not to toot my own horn,

you're allowed
The Sage Posted - 10 Feb 2007 : 00:01:56
Steven's Empires of the Shining Sea has a little about what the vampires serving the Twisted Rune are like. See Master of Chains also -- specifically the sections dealing with Shyressa and her cabal of vampires.
Asgetrion Posted - 09 Feb 2007 : 18:24:29
quote:
Originally posted by Halidan

There are also the vampires that changed Merrydale into Daggerdale. IIRC, a surviving member of that ancient group of vampires is featured in the Daggerdale sections of the Northern Journey mega-adventure that's now hosted on this site.

And there are also some tidbits and references in the novel Vampire of the Mists.
Halidan Posted - 09 Feb 2007 : 16:34:50
There are also the vampires that changed Merrydale into Daggerdale. IIRC, a surviving member of that ancient group of vampires is featured in the Daggerdale sections of the Northern Journey mega-adventure that's now hosted on this site.
Wizbane Posted - 09 Feb 2007 : 07:05:47
There's also a vampire baddie in the City of Beasts, in Shining South, if I recall correctly.

Van Richten's Guide to Vampires content isn't totally fitting with realms lore I think. For example, how do you consider your faerunian elven vampires?
I like the "black thumb" feature, but still consider them creatures of darkness, not creatures that can freely expose themselves to sunlight.
BTW, I'm playing with the idea of buildig a NWN2 module with an elven vampire villain.

Wizbane
Dargoth Posted - 09 Feb 2007 : 00:04:05
There also the Manshoon clone Vampire Cabal in Westgate
The Sage Posted - 08 Feb 2007 : 23:34:35
I suggest you take a look through the original Lords of Darkness tome, which also has lore on vampires in the Realms.
Kuje Posted - 08 Feb 2007 : 22:54:26
There's quite a few vampires in the 1e/2e lore (ya can find them in my list) and Dragon had a different article on them besides Eric's articles.
Asgetrion Posted - 08 Feb 2007 : 22:34:41
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Not to toot my own horn, but I did a 3-part series of adventures in Dungeon entitled "Vampires of Waterdeep". See issues #126, #127, and #128.

--Eric

Which all happen to be GREAT adventures!
ericlboyd Posted - 08 Feb 2007 : 18:59:04
Not to toot my own horn, but I did a 3-part series of adventures in Dungeon entitled "Vampires of Waterdeep". See issues #126, #127, and #128.

--Eric
Jorkens Posted - 08 Feb 2007 : 18:53:57
Van Richten's Guide to Vampires from the 2ed. would be the best source on vampires in D&D. Its a Ravneloft product, but it would give you an idea on how the vampires are presented in the game.

As for in the Realms, there are no set rules for vampires, some are loners, some are in groups. The Nightking of Westgate and his cohorts in the 2ed. Cloak and Dagger supplement would could give you an impression.
Bladewind Posted - 08 Feb 2007 : 18:38:48
There is no such thing as an organization of vampires that is related by bloodsiring in the realms as far as I know. The mortals former life would influence the vampires worldview considerably. The camarilla and the bloodline clans from white wolf's world of darkness can be a nice inspiration for certain vampireflavours from realms areas though.
I'd say the feral Gangrel clan is fitting for areas in the North like Silverymoon. The vampires from Westgate resemble Toreador and Ventrue schemers, maybe some insane Malkavians. The far east could get vamps similar to the distorted and twisted shadowlovers of the Tzimiche and Nosferatu clan. Brujah vampires are too modern to give flavour for realmsvamps (maybe some punky waterdavian vampires do exist in Skullport).

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000