Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Sacrifice of the Widow: Chapters 4 - 7
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2007 :  17:10:39  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Sacrifice of the Widow (Book 1 of The Lady Penitent), by Lisa Smedman. Please discuss chapters 4 - 7 herein.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Besshalar
Learned Scribe

Finland
166 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2007 :  13:47:15  Show Profile  Visit Besshalar's Homepage Send Besshalar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the way the motives of the characters are shown all the time and how so many of them are so sure that their way is the only right one. Although I have to say that this all starts to look suspiciously like a realmspace shattering event.

The large print giveth , and the small print taketh away.
-Tom Waits
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2007 :  03:16:30  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First off, as a book about drow, I like the idea that there are so many plots and counter plots going on that its hard to track everything. Its the impression I have of drow, and even good drow seem to not be able to fully get rid of this trait.

While the obvious crux of this is the conflict between Lolth and Eilistraee, with Vhearaun in there to do what he can to advance himself, I'm really wondering what is up with Selvetarm's follower. I liked the "conversion" job that he did on the driders, using rather twisted but almost logical arguements.

Kudos to Lisa for following up on a few bits of Realmslore little mentioned or expounded upon. The reference to Lolth taking up Moander's name is the first reference I've seen since Demihuman Deities, and the comment about a deep gnome trading post established by Blingdenstone was welcome as a reference to their participation (albeit briefly) in the Silver Marches.

Q'arlynd is interesting, and I think that he may end up walking Halisstra's path, but more slowly and in a more reasoned manner, so as to have a truer, deeper understanding of what he has done. Or I could be wrong and he could be just like her and unable to "pull the trigger." Still, so far I like him better than his sister, and I enjoy the relationship between him and his "slave."

And I do hope Flinderspeld shows up again. I kind of liked his, "slightly nieve but not hopelessly so" outlook on Q'arlynd and his personality.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2007 :  22:48:03  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well the plot of the book has really opened right up here, with the meeting of House Jaerle etc. The thought of this is quite disturbing. I loved how all the attitudes and mistrust of the drow were depicted here. Lisa seems to be really at home with writing about these and writing of the Underdark

One scene I really found very well done in this section was when Thaleste was attacked by the carrion crawler. Before this, I never thought too much of carrion crawlers and passed them off as dosile creatures, but this really changed my mind of them. The stand-out moment was when it attacked and killed Thaleste and the transition between the pain of her death and then being in Ellistrae's domain. Fantastic!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2007 :  22:51:14  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with KnightErrantJR.. Q'arlynd just gets more and more interesting with each section I read about him. I love the relationship between him and Flinderspeld. I can't help but have a soft spot for Svirfneblin...must be from the Blingdenstone seige days back in RAS's Dark Elf books.

Cavatina is an interesting character too. I'd like to read more about these Knights.

The scene where she finds the Vhaeraun worshipper in a cocoon is quite disturbing too how she tried to get him to turn and save him, but ultimately suffocated him and killed him

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2007 :  22:54:33  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another great Q'arlynd and Flinderspeld scene was when Q'arlynd joined the faith of Ellistrae and lets Flinderspeld go free. I almost had a lump in my throat. I had to chuckle though when Flinderspelt was so puzzled by these events and Q'arlynd gives in and says something like "oh ok, so i've got an ulterior motive" What a great pair of characters!

I thought the scene where the dwarf was speaking to the stone. It was amusing how the stone wasn't fully aware of what things actually were, and interpreted a drow with a braid of hear as "a leg growing out the back of his head"

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

TobyKikami
Learned Scribe

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2007 :  23:42:07  Show Profile  Visit TobyKikami's Homepage Send TobyKikami a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

The scene where she finds the Vhaeraun worshipper in a cocoon is quite disturbing too how she tried to get him to turn and save him, but ultimately suffocated him and killed him

And it doesn't seem as though Cavatina was trying particularly hard, either. She describes it outright as "going through the motions," whereupon she snuffs him with a clear conscience. Her behavior is somewhat understandable, given what's implied happened to her mother - but yes, it's quite disturbing.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2007 :  01:54:28  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The book drops plenty of hints, indeed, that Cavatina isn't the clean, saintly warrior of Eilistraee that one may at first expect her to be. And honestly, I found that refreshing--I like it when books explore the less likable sides of their heroes.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2007 :  19:04:10  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to agree wholeheartedly with the above comments. Some great characters are emerging. Cavatine reminds me of an old character a friend of mine played, the rather harsh Eilistraeen warrior. Q'arlynd is just great, and I too hope that it's not the last of Flinderspeld we see. Fun duo these two make. Some great scenes too, although for me the scene right at the end of Chapter Seven gets the nod for most disturbing. The fight scenes are tightly paced too. So far an excellent book! Lisa to to be commended.
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2007 :  14:34:24  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like how Q'arlynd is so sly he sometimes outsmarts himself.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2007 :  16:35:26  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

I like how Q'arlynd is so sly he sometimes outsmarts himself.

You know, that's a good way of putting how he ends up in some of the situations he ended up in. I like that.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000