Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Thoughts on Sea of Swords
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2003 :  06:41:22  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
R.A. Salvatore is definitely one of the Best writers of the FOrgotten Realms books, (Ties with Elaine Cunningham at least). But I have to say Silent blade, Spine of the World, and Sea of Swords were far below standard. Spine of the world was probably the best out of the three, but I have to say Sea of Swords just well, was terrible. If not for Drizzt being the main character of Sea of Swords, I would of stopped reading it halfway through. Unfortunaltely I Wanted to find out what happens to Drizzt so I kept reading, but it was the ONE time I was reading an FR book and wished they had cliff notes.

R.A. Salvatore had no artistry to his descriptions, and he was very rough. I really think Wizards rushed him on it. IT could of been such a good book, but it fell short.

Fortunately thousand orcs so far seems like it is back to Salvatores Level. I have just been very disappointed with his latest stuff.

Just compare Sea of Swords to the Cadderly series (Which is incredible), and see how much the writing is lacking.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2003 :  21:09:39  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree, Sea of Swords did come across a little...rushed. However, I have to ask: What does everyone find so unappealing about The Spine of the World?

I personally liked it. I was definately different than his other "Drizzt" books, but then again, it wasn't a "Drizzt" book...well, not directly in any case. As for The Silent Blade, yeah, it wasn't great. Well, I guess you can't always write a Bestseller...or can you?

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2003 :  22:44:45  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought Spine of the World was BETTER than the Sea of Swords.

My only problem with Spine of the World, was it seemed RUSHED. But still it was the BEst out of the three I mentioned before.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2003 :  23:50:22  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rushed in production, I'd agree, but as for in pace...actually it dragged a little for me at parts. Maybe, that's just me.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General

Edited by - Edain Shadowstar on 24 Apr 2003 23:51:03
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2003 :  00:05:27  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I say Rushed, I am talking about production, not pace. Just to Clarify.

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2008 :  11:28:49  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was told this novel (Sea of Swords)did not take place in the Sea od Swords area.
Is it true ?

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2008 :  10:00:18  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

I was told this novel (Sea of Swords)did not take place in the Sea od Swords area.
Is it true ?

It takes place mostly on land, but the sea scenes take place between the Golden Cove, to the north, and Waterdeep, to the south.

I am not familiar with the exact boundary between the Sea of Moving Ice and the Sea of Swords. But it would appear that the sea scenes do indeed occur in the Sea of Swords.

See <James Bluff's map> from here on CK.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2008 :  22:41:01  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The novel does take partly take place on the Sea of Swords.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 01 Jun 2008 22:44:18
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2008 :  04:23:13  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot my dear Rinonalyrna

... and thanks also to BEAST of course ! Sorry but I only saw milady's answer.
She's so shining...

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.

Edited by - Fillow on 02 Jun 2008 04:25:49
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2008 :  15:45:39  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

Thanks a lot my dear Rinonalyrna

... and thanks also to BEAST of course ! Sorry but I only saw milady's answer.
She's so shining...

Hey, thanks.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Hordak
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2008 :  00:34:55  Show Profile  Visit Hordak's Homepage Send Hordak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SPOILER!!!

Well the deepest respect to RA salvatore...

I really liked Spine of the world and Silent blade

But Sea of swords pretty much sucked. the whole plot with the elven girl he saved only to kill was such a waste in my opinion. I mean he could have used that in so many exciteing ways.. And it was really obvious it was her. Entreris return inlegacy.. that was a suprise!
Anyway RA really raised the bar on the hunters trilogy and on the Orc king imo

You're so dull
Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2008 :  01:11:22  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hordak

Which particular bar are we talking about?
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2008 :  16:46:22  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Karzak

quote:
Originally posted by Hordak

Which particular bar are we talking about?

Good question.

I found the HB trilogy to be pretty disappointing overall, as much of the tension revolves around previously used plot devices (ie. Drizzt thinks his friends are DEAD! His friends think he's dead!).

My thoughts on The Orc King can be read in the Book Club.

Go to Top of Page

Hordak
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2008 :  18:38:18  Show Profile  Visit Hordak's Homepage Send Hordak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I would say the Drizzt story bar.... I like Drizzt, Entreri and Errtu more, but I am really excited when a new Drizzt book comes out.
Now I mostly liked hunters trilogy because of Obould... But I find it alot better than sea of swords which was the worst RAS I read. So raised the bar as in better than before.. but still I agree not at the standard of Darkelf trilogy or Legacy series.
Then again I liked The Orc King more then hunters trilogy.. so still rising IMO

I am currently reading the third book in the Sell swords trilogy Which I guess must start with Servant of the Shard.. Which I loved... The second one I really didn't like... but this third one has got me going so still raising the bar for me...

You're so dull
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000