Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Naming conventions for Adventuring companys
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2007 :  04:15:04  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So my players are going to have to come up with a name for their party and so I have a question

Outside of a couple of scenes in Swords of Eveningstar has anyone ever seen any realms lore on naming conventions for Adventuring companys?

The party are from Daggerford and so far Ive heard 2 reasonable suggestions

Swords of Daggerford
Knights of Dragonspear

So far Ive managed to dig up the following:

Named after one of the party members (Manes Band)

Companions/Company of X (Bright Spear, Hall etc)

Swords of X (Eveningstar, Leilon etc)

Knights of X (Myth Drannor, Black Gauntlet Sword Coast etc)

Kuje: Do you remember if Ed ever covered this in his "Ask Ed threads"

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2007 :  04:57:09  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My players, generally come up with a name for themselves, after having a few adventures first. A good example would be Ed's company of the brightspear. Until they actually obtained the brightspear, they would only have been the company of.... Additionally, I would imagine, names could be given to the band, famous or infamous.

I don't believe that there are any official rules, or ways to come up with one though
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2007 :  13:24:49  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The group that I run recently named themselves the Jeweled Edge. They picked this name because a jeweled knife was used to frame them and forced them to flee the city. Thus began their adventures

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

Bluenose
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2007 :  16:19:40  Show Profile  Visit Bluenose's Homepage Send Bluenose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think there'd be any formal rules in most places, though Cormyr might be an exception. However, naming yourself after a place you aren't from probably wouldn't be too sensible, any more than naming yourself after something you didn't do. The name you use should probably reflect the impression you want to give, or be something fairly neutral that won't offer much clue to people.

How about "The Daggerford Seven"? You're commemorating the name of one of the North's more famous adventuring bands, and it doesn't give away many clues about what you're like. It doesn't matter how many there are. There are plenty of reasons why one or more members of the band might not be present, such as:

"They're waiting outside. If we aren't out in an hour this whole building will be destroyed."
"He's praying at his temple."
"She's on honeymoon."
"They're spending time dead for tax purposes."
"They aren't housebroken yet."

If there's more, it is possible to leave people outside anyway. Even if everyone is present, people can be explained as being new, or you can simply deny their existence.

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned, these defended,
And saved the sum of things for pay.
Go to Top of Page

Korginard
Learned Scribe

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2007 :  17:39:02  Show Profile  Visit Korginard's Homepage Send Korginard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An adventuring band I had was known as The Company of the Golden Griffon. The leader of the party was a Paladin who had great respect for griffons, and started the game with a simple shield painted with a stylised golden griffon. As time passed and they raised in level the party pooled some of thier money together to commision a new shield for him, this one a spectacular kite shield with an embossed griffin guilded in gold, enchanted with everbright and other spells to protect it's beauty. The Paladin eventually gained a celestial griffon with golden feathers as his mount. The Griffon was an Emissary of Torm and would often guide and advise the Paladin, leading to newer and greater adventurers. It tied itself to the shield and empowered it so that it could be used to summon him when he was needed. (And allow the player to send him away when wandering arround with a huge glittering griffon wasn't convienient)
So, what started as a simple yet unique item became a good name for the group and eventually a guiding force for them.
Go to Top of Page

marchingpig
Acolyte

Norway
11 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2007 :  21:04:43  Show Profile  Visit marchingpig's Homepage Send marchingpig a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One group in one of my games was called Company of the Golden Clover. Mostly due to their luck and the priest of Tymora. As for canon companies in the Realms; the Glittering Band was the group that built Castle Greatstead (Grimstead) near Shadowdale. They all got killed. :)

www.myspace.com/themaladroniainstitute
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2007 :  07:53:47  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fair enough

Any scribes able to point me to info on the Mooredge keeps on the southern edge of the High moor?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2007 :  11:42:07  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven’t seen any realms lore on naming conventions for Adventuring companies.

But I have too good ideas.

One: Take a look at the tread here at Candelkeep, the name of the tread is: Adventuring Companies / Orders / The chosen

Here you will find many names.

Two: In My campaign commoners and other good people gives the party a name if they don’t find one.

For now the dwarfs in thunder peaks calls them “almighty six”.

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 30 Jan 2007 11:42:49
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2007 :  02:38:45  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Victor_ograygor

I haven’t seen any realms lore on naming conventions for Adventuring companies.

But I have too good ideas.

One: Take a look at the tread here at Candelkeep, the name of the tread is: Adventuring Companies / Orders / The chosen

Here you will find many names.

Two: In My campaign commoners and other good people gives the party a name if they don’t find one.

For now the dwarfs in thunder peaks calls them “almighty six”.

Ok

Anyone able to point me to info on the Mooredge keeps?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2007 :  02:56:48  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I looked in elminster's ecologies The highmoor and did not see anything
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2007 :  03:17:45  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

I looked in elminster's ecologies The highmoor and did not see anything

There on the map of the High Moor in the FR CDROM Atlas

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic