Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Did Creator Races inhabit all of Abeir-Toril?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2007 :  17:34:40  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Most Learned Sages,

It has been some time since I read Serpent kingdoms, but I can not remember it saying how much of Abeir-Toril they controlled & inhabited? I ask this question after reading a post some time ago discussing portals to Maztica. It is hinted at that there are ancient portals throughout Faerun in the campaign sourcebook, so it stands to reason that if the different Creator Races controlled all of Abeir-Toril that there might still exist portals linking Maztica, Kara-Tur, Zakhara, Anchorome and the various other land masses of Abeir-Toril together... If there was a Creator Race more prevalent and powerful than the others, the Sarrukh for example, then it is possible that they built gates to link all of their important sites and that these gates all function similarily... Since there are still Sarrukh (sp?) in Faerun, it might be possible to globe trot using these gates... just an idea I am thinking of... (I have watched WAY too much Stargate...) Let me know if you think this idea is feasible...

ShadowJack

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2007 :  19:00:45  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Each of the four non-human Creator Races ruled different separate areas of Faerun. The Surrakh, lived in the north west regions, hence their part in Neverwinter Nights. It mentions in the Serpent Kingdoms book which areas they lived in.
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2007 :  19:13:28  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely feasible. We don't know how far the creator races explored or colonized, but there are hints.

The tako are a race of octopi that are said to be descendants of the aquatic creator race and they live on the coastal shores of Kara-Tur. They colonized the Sea of Fallen Stars through a portal from Kara-Tur, if I recall.

The tenku and kenku appear to be offshoots of the Aearee and they live in Kara-Tur. I don't know of any portals linking them to Faerun, but there certainly could be some. The aarakocra settled in Anchorome and Maztica, so there could be portals linking Faerun to those places. And with the dire corbies in the underdark, I imagine there could be some portals down there as well.

The fey are plentiful in Kara-Tur, which may be an indication that the Sylvan creator race may have had the greatest presence in Kara-Tur of all the creator races. While they may have built portals, it is more likely they established fey crossroads, and Kara-Tur could conceivably be well integrated into the fey crossroads and backroads network.

The sarrukh probably had portals all over the place. I think there are scaly folk on every continent.

I should mention that WotC detailed a number of portals in the Perilous Gateways series of articles, among them a group of aarakocran portals and a yuan-ti network of portals called the Winding Serpent.
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2007 :  19:21:13  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Gray and Tyr,

I have started downloading and reading the Perilous Gateways series for further research... I will check out Serpent Kingdoms for maps and such tonight when i get home from class.

ShadowJack

Edited by - ShadowJack on 30 Jan 2007 19:22:47
Go to Top of Page

boddynock
Learned Scribe

Belgium
258 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2007 :  06:36:25  Show Profile  Visit boddynock's Homepage Send boddynock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And what about the saurials from AD&D? Once I read about a community of saurials that lives nearby the dalelands. (There are also novels with a saurial hero but I don't remember the name of the novels). In second edition they told that they were also old - near extinct races. Are they also one of the creator races?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2007 :  09:42:11  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boddynock

And what about the saurials from AD&D? Once I read about a community of saurials that lives nearby the dalelands. (There are also novels with a saurial hero but I don't remember the name of the novels). In second edition they told that they were also old - near extinct races. Are they also one of the creator races?

Doubt it since Moander brought them from another world/Prime Material.

Dragonbait is who you might be thinking of.....

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000