Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Would Forgotten realms comics be discussed here?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2007 :  15:21:47  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
We've had the original Forgotten Realms comics (by DC right? I lost my entire collection sadly and I don't they're ever releasing them in paperback again) and now we've got the Devil's Due series out chronicling the events of Drizzt Do'Urden's career.

I was curious what your experience with FR's comics are and if you're enjoying the current ones.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2007 :  15:27:40  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No idea, and I doubt it should be discussed here

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2007 :  15:38:10  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Uh huh.

Well thank you for your contribution there Mace.

Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2007 :  16:38:58  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know they are doing a Crystal Shard comic at the moment...

But I enjoyed the FR and AD&D comics though.

PS check your PM's

Delz

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2007 :  17:39:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Though I've avoided the newer comics, I've seen a few discussions here about them.

I loved the DC/TSR comics, and still have them. In fact, those are the only comics I have right now that are readily accessible (at least, they are when I'm home and not at work). Events and characters from the comics have been in various sourcebooks, in both 2E and 3E. We've had some of them appear in novels and/or anthologies. And they've been covered in Dragon.

I see no reason why we can't discuss them. We've talked about them before, and they are canon.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2007 :  17:46:13  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks there Wooly.

I won't complain about the lack of a graphic novel set for them. I do wonder what it would take to see them released that way though.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2007 :  17:52:59  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Though I've avoided the newer comics, I've seen a few discussions here about them.

I loved the DC/TSR comics, and still have them. In fact, those are the only comics I have right now that are readily accessible (at least, they are when I'm home and not at work). Events and characters from the comics have been in various sourcebooks, in both 2E and 3E. We've had some of them appear in novels and/or anthologies. And they've been covered in Dragon.

I see no reason why we can't discuss them. We've talked about them before, and they are canon.

Well met

Indeed, feel free to discuss the Devil's Due comics herein. I have the Dark Elf comics myself and whilst I don't like some of the artwork, I found it very pleasing on the whole. It was nice to have a quick refresh of the tale too.

From the looks of things, the Icewind Dale comics look much nicer and i'm quite looking forward to this series

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2007 :  18:23:43  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Alaundo,

I want to comment that I very much am enjoying the Drizzt Do'Urden series of comic books. I think what really sells this series is the art that is quite unlike the majority of comics out there. Simply put, there's beautiful depictions of both Drizzt and all the other characters that inhabit his peculiar world. While adapting a novel is never easy, a lot of the key scenes survive and wouldn't function without the imagery despite the overabundance of textual blocks that seem to fill the story at times.

The original Homeland story is my favorite of the tales thus far as it displays Drow society through a fairly effective montage of scenes drawn from the books. The choices of what to include and what not are well done with none of the "big beats" missed. Plus, the realization of Drow individuality in a race that's all slender, angular faces, beautiful, elvish, with pointy ears is well done. It might have been difficult to keep all the elves different looking as they all tend to look the same in comics I read.

But yes, Homeland and it's sequel aren't really that interesting to me as comics because they're not Forgotten Realms to me. They function solely in the Underdark that doesn't really interact in any way with the Greater Realms. It's not until Sojourn that Drizzt's story really becomes interesting for me.

Sojourn is the best so far of the tales. Drizzt's survival in the surface world being beautifully realized.

http://www.devilsdue.net/covers/forgottenrealms/FR-Sojourn_01_00a.jpg

I must confess I was a bit surprised at the blatantly cheesecake outfit of Dove Falconhand when no one else in the series is wearing anything quite like it. When the Drow are fairly chastely dressed, you have to wonder whose decision it was to make Dove into the leather girl.

I'll provide an example here.

http://www.devilsdue.net/covers/forgottenrealms/FR-Sojourn_02_00a.jpg

I also felt that the relationship between Drizzt and his mentor Montollio actually works better in comic format than in the novel. The depiction of the man conveys a lot more emotion in his appearance than the dialog of Bob Salvatore. The epic battle against Graul's forces suffers a good deal (and shows the weakness of the format since battle never sees to last terribly long in these comics--hell the invasions of the Crystal Shard last a couple of pages both) but is still adequate for conveying its story importance.

I was really surprised by the way they chose to portray Cattie Brie in this book but not unhappy. The short, stocky, round nosed little girl who meets Drizzt is enough that you might actually mistake her for a dwarf woman (a very pretty one too).

I'm a little disappointed with The Crystal Shard because it ends after only three issues. Nevertheless, given there's so many battles to get through, the book is wall to wall action and I happily approve of it. They definitely went for a Balrog look for Errtu and I was impressed with the attempt to make everyone look unique. Alkar Kessel ends up looking like an evil Nordwick though.

Honestly, for a story as intricate as the Crystal Shard, you'd think you'd give it at least 6 issues. This actually reads as a very fast pace story for Marvel Comics or DC really as opposed to the epic defining adventure for Drizzt and company. It's also strange that the death of Dracos Icicingdeath, a relatively minor battle in the story, actually takes up nearly a third of the storyline.

http://www.devilsdue.net/covers/forgottenrealms/FR-Crystalshard_02_00a.jpg

Another odd thing that's just my personal bias but Cattie wearing a DRESS for the majority of the book? What is up with that? She's certainly grown up as a woman but I'm pleased to say, unlike most comics (and Dove) that the women are very realistically drawn here. Maybe it's just the Seven Sisters who exist in cheesecake land.

A pity I don't have a interior scan.

I'm anxiously awaiting the next scene as Artemis Entreri is rendered beautifully with a full page spread even as he's clearly going after Regis here and the comics are meant to continue in their progress of the storyline.

Edited by - Charles Phipps on 05 Jan 2007 18:27:30
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2007 :  23:40:14  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've flipped through some of these graphic novels in the store, and as I distinctly recall, the female drow were definitely NOT chastely dressed.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2007 :  23:44:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

Uh huh.

Well thank you for your contribution there Mace.

Was that really necessary?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2007 :  23:48:14  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was meant less snarky and more "well that sort of leaves an awkward pause to respond to." I do appreciate when Mace answers any of my threads though and the thanks was sincere for showing up.

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  01:49:59  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would love to see a Trade done of the old series. The new Drizzt comics are well done. Great art

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  04:09:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's my understanding that outstanding legal problems between TSR and DC prevent a graphic novel collection of those comics from appearing (or at least, make it not financially worth doing for DC).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  19:20:31  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. Would you say that you can read the Drizzt comics/graphic novels without having read the novels, and still have a good understanding of the storyline?
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  20:10:47  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

Hmm. Would you say that you can read the Drizzt comics/graphic novels without having read the novels, and still have a good understanding of the storyline?

Yes I would think

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000