Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Swords of Eveningstar Ages
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MaxKaladin
Seeker

77 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2007 :  21:44:14  Show Profile  Visit MaxKaladin's Homepage Send MaxKaladin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've just started Swords of Eveningstar and I'm a bit confused about how old these potential adventurers are supposed to be at the start of the book. They're obviously teenagers but some of the offhand comments I've seen suggest they may be rather young teenagers. Can someone enlighten me as to their approximate ages at the start of the book?

I did a bit of poking with the search function but didn't want to get too deep for fear of spoilers.

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2007 :  23:59:31  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think they're in their early twenties.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  01:07:51  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guessed a little younger, like 19ish. But definitely not really young teenagers.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  01:19:01  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is just conjecture on my part, but given that we just recently had it confirmed in the "ask Ed" thread that 17 is the age of majority in Cormyr, and you would likely have to have be "of majority" to be part of an adventuring charter, being that its a legal document, I'd say that RF's guess is likely pretty close.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  03:58:44  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would agree with 17 or 18 being the age here. However, in my opinion, Florin seems to be a year or two older.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  04:00:49  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually ANYONE can be a signatory to a charter (note that the sponsor of the initial charter can control who's "on it" and who's not, but only at the outset). Age doesn't matter.
However, most of the Swords (the Esparran) are around 17 or 18 at the time of SWORDS OF EVENINGSTAR (Pennae, Agannor, and Bey are older, and if I recall correctly, so was Martess).
What you're seeing is sheltered, rural "backward" teenagers; in matters of life cycles, farming, nature, and so on, they know more than the average city-dwelling teenager, but in terms of social maturity (etiquette, deft and proper speech, etc.) they're behind because of their rural isolation.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

MaxKaladin
Seeker

77 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  18:47:40  Show Profile  Visit MaxKaladin's Homepage Send MaxKaladin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My initial take was that they were about 16-18 with Florin being a bit older than the rest. However, like I said, I saw a few comments that made me wonder if they weren't a bit younger at the start of the book and that's what prompted my question. Keep in mind I'm still at the start of the book and no actual "adventuring" has happened except for Florin's "kidnapping" (still in progress). For all I know, the part I'm reading now is a "prequel" of sorts intended to put the knights on the path to becoming adventurers a couple of years down the road when they're older. In particular, Jhessail's lack of magical training made a couple of years interlude seem like a possibily.

I did not mean to suggest that they actually started adventuring as young teenagers. I can easily see 14-15 year olds hanging out and talking big about getting a charter or running off to Sembia to make big coin as adventurers but not doing it -- and that's about all any of them have done so far (aside from Florin).

Edit: Posted too soon. Anyway, I can see the teens talking like that for years but not doing anything until events (possibly set in motion by Florin's little "adventure") conspire to set them on the road to actually becoming adventurers -- and it still taking a couple of years to get to that point. I don't know what's going to happen since I've only just started the book, but I'll find out. It was just something that popped to mind as I read and I thought I'd ask about the ages.

Edited by - MaxKaladin on 15 Feb 2007 18:54:30
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000