Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Drizzt Novels
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Virendar
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2007 :  05:19:17  Show Profile  Visit Virendar's Homepage Send Virendar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi i have read :

Icewind Dale Trilogy
and
Dark Elf Trilogy (which happens BEFORE Icewind Dale Trilogy)

now i would like to get back on track on the novels that take place after the Icewind Dale Trilogy.

Can some1 pleze list the rest of the Drizzt series in the proper reading order?

I went to this site here: http://ww2.wizards.com/books/Wizards/Guides/default.aspx?doc=ForgottenRealms

and if i click R.A Salvatore are all the books there in order?
-Legend of Dro
-Paths of Darkness
-The Hunter's Blade
-War of Spider Queen
-Cleric Quintet

Thankyou

mavericace
Seeker

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2007 :  07:03:38  Show Profile  Visit mavericace's Homepage Send mavericace a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well it does go Legend of the Drow then Paths of Darkness and then The Hunters Blades but The War of the Spider Queen and The Cleric Quintet are not part of the Drizzt series at all. Really you may want to read The Cleric Quintet before you go any further because some of the charcters from those books are in the later Drizzt novels.

if you are not reading the collectors set the books should go...

Legacy
Starless Night
Seige of Darkness
Passage to Dawn
The Silent Blade
The Spine of the World
Servant of the Shard
Sea of Swords
The Thousand Orc's
The Lone Drow
The Two Swords
The Orc King (Not out yet it comes out this fall I think)

Edited by - mavericace on 14 Feb 2007 07:04:57
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2007 :  08:58:13  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi!

Check out this list. It includes all drizzt related published works.

http://www.o-love.net/realms/ro_dri.html

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Virendar
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2007 :  16:32:15  Show Profile  Visit Virendar's Homepage Send Virendar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ok thankyou for your replies.

so, according to you mav. i shuld read The Cleric Quintet now, then start reading the Legacy of the Drow and continue on in the order that ou listed.

Also, Ergusch, that website, it has the Sellswords series....the first book of that series in the Servent Of the Shard, which is also the 3rd book of the Paths of Darkness....so what do i read after i finish paths of darknes?? the other 2 sellswords books or hunters blade

**EDIT** Btw, which book is it where the dwarves reclaim Mithril Hall? I know that in the end of the Icewind Dale series they were coming back from rescuiing the halfling, and they were preparing to get Mithril Hall back...when do they do that?

Edited by - Virendar on 14 Feb 2007 16:41:42
Go to Top of Page

mavericace
Seeker

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2007 :  20:19:07  Show Profile  Visit mavericace's Homepage Send mavericace a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well if I remember right you wont meet up with the crew from The Cleric Quintet untill The Paths of Darkness books so really you could read the Legend of the Drow first if you want.

Servant of the Shard is both the 3rd book of Paths of Darkness and the first book of The Sellswords. You could read the other 2 Sellswords books right after or you could finish off the Drizzt books first it matters not.

As for when the Dwarves reclaim Mithril Hall well you should be getting to that in the next book if I remember right.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2007 :  22:20:47  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really don't think it would be that big of a deal to read the Drizzt books that Cadderly appears in before reading the Cleric Quintet. My opinion is that while it can be nice to know the backstories of certain characters before reading about them, it's hardly essential--especially not in this case. RAS is known not for being overly cryptic about what's going on, and generally tells the reader everything they need to know.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

mavericace
Seeker

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  01:08:09  Show Profile  Visit mavericace's Homepage Send mavericace a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your right Rinonalyra. It is up to him if he wants to reat the Cleric Quintet first; I didnt. Looking back on things there are some spoliers though if you read the Cleric Quintet after the Drizzt books. I kind of wish I would have read the Cleric Quintet first but that is just me.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  01:11:45  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mavericace

Your right Rinonalyra. It is up to him if he wants to reat the Cleric Quintet first; I didnt. Looking back on things there are some spoliers though if you read the Cleric Quintet after the Drizzt books. I kind of wish I would have read the Cleric Quintet first but that is just me.

Fair enough point...but if you think about it, everyone is bound to run into some spoilers, eventually, unless they read every novel (not just Drizzt novels...every FR novel) in exact chronological order, since no small number of novels refer, at least briefly, to events that occured in other novels. And just reading through the newer sourcebooks can spoil someone on the older novels.

So my point is, a few spoilers here in there are probably inevitable and not a huge deal.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 15 Feb 2007 01:13:04
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  04:00:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

And just reading through the newer sourcebooks can spoil someone on the older novels.

Or even newer novels, like the infamous page 28 spoiler.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

mavericace
Seeker

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  04:44:57  Show Profile  Visit mavericace's Homepage Send mavericace a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very true. It is imposible to really get by all the spoliers but I do try to limit them where possible. I have been jumping back and forth between old books in a attempt to catch back up with the current timeline but on more than one occasion I have ran into spoliers.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  08:50:19  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to say - I have read all drittz books but have not even concidered to even look at the cleric Quintet. I don't think it has spoiled anything as of yet. It might even be interresting to get to know a character as a supporting charcter and later find out his backround story. So much from me on THAT reading order...

The link I provided above shows a very detailed list in reading order. However, it will not matter much if you have not read the short stories presented in the various 'Realms of...' anthologies. They are more or less nice add-ons.

So to make it clear as far as the Drizzt books are concerned:

Lagacy of the Drow comes next, followed by Path of Darkness and Hunter's Blade.

The series War of the Spider Queen, Cleric Quintet, and Sellsword do not feature Drizzt but other characters that were introduced in the Drizzt books.

Hope that explains it.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2007 :  01:03:27  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

And just reading through the newer sourcebooks can spoil someone on the older novels.

Or even newer novels, like the infamous page 28 spoiler.

Yeah--a spoiler for a novel so new it wasn't even out yet.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2007 :  01:05:28  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

I have to say - I have read all drittz books but have not even concidered to even look at the cleric Quintet. I don't think it has spoiled anything as of yet. It might even be interresting to get to know a character as a supporting charcter and later find out his backround story. So much from me on THAT reading order...

The Cleric Quintet was...not my favorite FR series. Some people out there love it (and will love it upon reading it), but from my very personal perspective, there isn't much lost by skipping it.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000