Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 An Alphabet for Imaskar
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  04:56:35  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've already e-mailed Alaundo about this, and so I hereby request the help of the scribes and other forum-goers:

After noting the alphabets for Thorass, Espruar, and Dethek in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, I wondered about the dead languages. What about Roushoum?
Well, after getting a copy of the Unapproachable East and finding Imaskar pretty nifty as well as its vassal and survivor state, Raumathar, I started looking into making an alphabet for old Imaskari.
Based on a brief line from this article (http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/imaskar.htm), I started to work on a writing system. Borrowing on cultural similarities, I started with the real-world alphabets of Glagolitic (Pre-Cyrillic...Cyrillic), Avestan (old Zoroastrian) and traditional (non-Cyrillic) Mongolian. Like Mongolian, I picture the Imaskar script running vertically, but left to right. With this, I constructed a set of sweeping characters, with the goal of having them unusual, but still clearly human.

I currently have just a scan of my final design page posted on my DeviantArt account:
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/42948706/

Herein is where I'd like to ask for help or collaboration. I haven't been able to find any font-creation programs that support vertical fonts, and my vector art skills are approximately half of zilch. If anyone out there would like to create or help create a .gif, a vectored high-res version, or even a computer font, just contact me any way you wish.

And even if you just find it an interesting curiosity, I'm rather happy to have filled one little patch in the quilt that is the Realms.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  05:24:50  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
other than i think it is a bad habit (though sometimes legit due to the specitic alphabet) to make a letter/rune for each and every phoenic letter we have in our world, then it looks really good

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  19:42:06  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is an alphabet in the Horde box set that I believe is supposed to be the Imaskari alphabet. It is used by the Tuigans, even though the FRCS says Tuigan is written with Thorass. Actually, come to think of it, the Tuigans might have adopted the Thorass alphabet after their defeat by Azoun. I know they were very impressed by Cormyr, even naming their new capital city after Cormyr, according to a recent article in Dragon magazine.

I think the alphabet in the Horde box set called Tuigan is the alphabet the Imaskari used. It in fact does look something like Mongolian and it appears you could write it vertically, although I don't recall seeing samples of Imaskari or Tuigan writing.

The Horde box set is available from the WotC free downloads page at this link here if you are interested in checking it out: The Horde Box Set

The alphabet is found around page 151 of the PDF.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000