Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2007 :  00:29:49  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen
Do some parents now try to keep their children ignorant of the art of reading lest they waste their time reading scurrilous chapbooks and other questionable materials which are now available to anyone with a few coins? On the other hand, do some parents (or heads of households, at least) actively seek out "pious" literature and insist that their household members read nothing but morally edifying books and pamphlets?

I'm not Ed, or the Hooded One, but that sounds waaaaaay more Victorian than the Realms I know.

Not that some families wouldn't be like that, but I would doubt that such stringent moralism is culture-wide or common in most Realms (never mind that not all religions are equally concerned with morality, and not all religions that are concerned with such have the same set of morals).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 01 Feb 2007 00:36:09
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2007 :  14:51:04  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Quite correct, Rinonalyrna! Individual instances of in-family censorship can and do occur, but in general (polytheistic setting) "pious" literature has little dominance beyond "look up the handy code" chapbooks, and folk in the Realms value learning (and basic math skills) highly for their children.
As it happens, the Realmslore answer I bear this time is to an earlier query by Jamallo Kreen. Ed says he will certainly continue to slip in “fashion and costume tidbits” whenever he can, in future published Realmslore.
Also, though he promises a proper future answer to your query about information-gathering groups, he did send this:

I have largely avoided publishing lore about those who seek knowledge for its own sake, for three reasons:
1. This is perfect “DM’s special” territory; that is, to work best within a given campaign, such elements should be created by the DM and tailored to match current PC locations, power levels, and specific activities. So as to bring PCs in contact with such individuals but to avoid the “run to Elminster’s Tower and ask Lhaeo this, that, and the other, for the third time today” problem. (Allowing lazy players to avoid sending their characters on adventures to learn information, rather than just going to handy NPCs.)
2. Two years ago, when I completed the overall design for Castlemourn, such seekers after knowledge became a vital part of the nature of that setting. I did NOT want Castlemourn to just be a copy of the Realms, so I turned away from that topic in the ongoing detailing of the Realms.
3. This one’s NDA, big time!

So there you have it. A non-answer, of sorts, from Ed.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2007 :  14:56:01  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Stop the Keep quills! This just in!
I have received wholehearted confirmation from Ed for Garen Thal's reply, posted above, re. matters Cormyrean. In the words of Ed: "Consider it as definitive as if it came from my pen."
So there you have it.
Love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2007 :  21:49:56  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Well met, all.

I hope that Ed will address my other queries (regarding when printing was introduced into Faerun and the opinion folk -- "scholars," at least -- have of printed books versus hand-scribed ones).

Alas for pietistic literature, though! I suppose I shall have to concoct some of my own: I can see it now, a stall crammed with works such as, "The Imitation of Ilmater," "A Serious Call to a Devout and Holy Paladinhood," and "Cyricists in the Hands of an Angry Kelemvor," (or maybe, "Velsharoonists in the Hands of an Angry Jergal" ... just wait for that Age of Worms, you undead-creating rotters!).

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2007 :  03:32:21  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, scribes. This time I bring you the words of Ed to AlorinDawn, re. this: “Hooded One, Since you say The Knights of Myth Drannor are largely retired, I have some question about your home campaign. I'm asking out of curiosity of what you and your fellow players do and hopefully not about canon events with the published characters to avoid being NDAed here =)
Are the Knights just frozen in time in your campaign until you all can meet the next game session, or have the characters gone off to live more domestic lives if they can? If the later where do the respective members call home now?/Cheers”
Ed replies:

Yes, I know you asked THO this one. :}
She thought I should handle it, and tossed it along to me.
Yes, everything is frozen in time between play sessions, these days; chronologically, the “home” campaign is back before the Time of Troubles. As I’ve said before, I think campaigns work best when the DM serves the players, and major parameters are voted on, not dictated by the DM; this was their decision, and I stand by it. Of necessity, the published Realms and “my own” Realms are going to diverge, and this was the common consensus as to how to handle the situation.
Most of the senior Knights are semi-retired: Doust and Islif are married and living back in Cormyr; Semoor Wolftooth (Jelde Asturien) is also back in Cormyr, dwelling at the temple of Lathander in Eveningstar; Florin and Dove are married and have a (now grown) son, and so on. Of the characters created Knights at the end of SWORDS OF EVENINGSTAR, Florin is still actively adventuring and based in Shadowdale; Pennae is dead; Doust, Islif, and Semoor are as retired from adventuring as Faerûn will allow them to be, and certainly retired from the Knights (Doust and Semoor primarily serve the needs of their churches now); and Jhessail is based in Shadowdale, but goes adventuring less and less often (she’s busy tutoring apprentices, and has Illistyl to “go spellslinging” for her).
When I say “based in Shadowdale,” by the way, I should make it clear that although all of the living Knights have rooms given over to them in the Tower of Ashaba, they spend almost all of their time elsewhere (when in the dale, they’re usually in Storm’s farmhouse or Elminster’s Tower), and have actually been establishing hidden homes all over the wooded Dragonreach lands (including taking over several Sembian “country estate retreats” from rich, evil Sembians they’ve relieved of their lives), and searching for a site for a new “home base.”

So saith Ed. Who’s simplifying here of necessity; there are so many subplots, romances, entangled NPCs, and so on in the “home” Realms campaign that it would literally take pages to cover what’s going on.
Come to think of it, as we all age and time increasingly passes, we’re all going to NEED those pages.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2007 :  04:18:57  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Hmmm,

Ed left a few Knights off that list. Most curious.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2007 :  04:39:44  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
I had a feeling that Pennae died at some point since I'd never heard of her. Is she one of the two or three Knights that Jhessail mentions as being buried in the Twisted Tower to Shandril in Spellfire? For that matter, who are the others? (and if all this gets explained in the next two Knights books, just tell me. I'll grumble, but I'll wait)

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2007 :  04:44:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Hmmm,

Ed left a few Knights off that list. Most curious.

It may be intentional. Perhaps we're set to learn something new regarding the rest...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2007 :  11:47:18  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

I had a feeling that Pennae died at some point since I'd never heard of her.
For spoiling, see FR7 Hall of Heroes p. 111.
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2007 :  15:09:22  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message
Ed,

I know that you are supremely busy these days, that you DM your Knights about once a year, and that you all live pretty far apart these days. I wonder, do you ever ponder setting down one of your projects to make room for a reguarly recurring game on a weekly or monthly basis? How tempting is said pondering?

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2007 :  00:21:23  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Nice catch Faraer. It's been so long since I'd read Hall of Heroes that I'd completely forgotten that one sentence.

Like I said, nice catch.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2007 :  00:38:00  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
Well met again, most respected Lady Herald and Master Greenwood!

I finally got my copy of the Swords of Eveningstar and I am loving every page of it! Actually, the novel has prompted me to as several questions that (mostly ;) concern religious issues:

1) Do novice priests usually craft their own holy symbols? Doust and Semoor apparently did so, but is this a common practise among the faiths of Faerûn? There is also the reference to Doust having a "blank" disc as a novice, and I was thinking if other faiths have similar customs for junior and senior clergy (i.e. holy symbols lacking certain features to notify your position within the church, and also having some silvered/gilded/jeweled/engraved extra features for senior priests)?

2) Is it possible for a cleric to be "self-educated" (=become a 1st level priest/cleric) on his own, without any official anointment? There is no mention in the novel about Doust or Semoor being "officially" trained by their respective churches. Or are "small/backwoods village" (=places with no major shrines or temples nearby) clerics usually trained by wandering prosetilyzers/clerics who teach them the basics of the faith and how to pray for spells? ("Now that yer basic lessons are over, get ye to the nearest temple and enlist there as a novice. Tell them that Rierdan trained and sent ye. ")

3) Myrkyr of Eveningstar holds the title "Bright Banner" in the novel. Is this a unique title within the Morninglord's faith, or does it exist among other faiths, too? What does this title mean, and are there similar titles among other faiths?

4) Is it possible that the complete 'Haunted Halls of Eveningstar' (as you originally wrote it) would be re-printed in its full (160 pages?) length, now that the novel is out? Ptolus has (hopefully!) shown WoTC that DMs are EAGER to buy giant-sized, detailed campaign settings, and I feel it would be only natural to follow up the Knights novels with appropriate gaming products...

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2007 :  09:12:18  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

2) Is it possible for a cleric to be "self-educated" (=become a 1st level priest/cleric) on his own, without any official anointment?

It certainly worked for that Erevis Cale guy (though he's not exactly your average priest of Mask, come to think of it)

And it just as certainly worked for whoever was the first cleric of each god as well.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2007 :  11:09:49  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

2) Is it possible for a cleric to be "self-educated" (=become a 1st level priest/cleric) on his own, without any official anointment?

It certainly worked for that Erevis Cale guy (though he's not exactly your average priest of Mask, come to think of it)

And it just as certainly worked for whoever was the first cleric of each god as well.

Ah, you don't think that the gods might have personally trained them?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2007 :  15:39:11  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all. A brief Ed answer this time, to Ergdusch. I originally answered Ergdusch’s question about the chronology of Ed’s short story “Tears So White” from REALMS OF THE ELVES thus: “Ergdusch, the Realms of the Elves short story occurs during Rich Baker's Last Mythal trilogy (it's "where the Knights went" rather than being front and center battling, for the latter half of those books), whereas the "Swords" trilogy Ed's currently writing about the Knights is set decades earlier, starting in the Year of the Spur.”
Ergdusch then replied: “Thanks for the quick answer, THO. However, your answer is somewhat unsatifying as it still leaves the question open to when that trilogy will end? Before or after the short story mentioned above? If you are allowed to talk about such details........ I would like to know.”
Well, I don’t know said “details,” so I passed this on to Ed, who now replies:

Hi, Ergdusch. Except as editors approve of such ‘leaks,’ imparting public information about future products is a no-no. NDAs almost always govern them. EDITORS can talk, mind you, and the tradition has been that once they do, my lips are loosened on the specific topics they have spoken about (many GenCon seminars over the years have featured unofficial verbal games wherein audiences try to get staffers to let slip something of interest). So although I’ve been allowed (by the former head of Publishing at WotC) to say a few things about SWORDS OF DRAGONFIRE, the not-yet-published sequel to SWORDS OF EVENINGSTAR (and I mean a FEW things, such as that it begins immediately after the previous book, the Knights are in it, and the Princess Alusair and Dauntless are both in it). From those fragments, and some less firm hints I’ve dropped here at the Keep (such as Lord Crownsilver’s tale not being over yet), anyone can guess that the book at least begins in Cormyr. Longtime Realms fans know from reading FR7 HALL OF HEROES something of what lies in the Knights’ future. Readers of EVENINGSTAR can guess as to likely content of DRAGONFIRE, just by recalling the unresolved villainous plots and other “loose ends” remaining at the end of EVENINGSTAR.
However, I can’t yet say more about either DRAGONFIRE or the third Knights book. All I can do is hint, so I’ll hint this much: the Knights of Myth Drannor trilogy opens many years before most of the action in The Last Mythal trilogy. The first book didn’t cover all that much passage of time, and I expect that trend to continue.
From that, I’m afraid you must draw your own conclusions.

So saith Ed. Who I know would LOVE to say more.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2007 :  19:29:06  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Dear Master Ed and Lady THO,

Can porphyry be found in Faerun? Are these purple rocks sought out as building and statuary material for the wealthy in the same way the Romans did for their emperors?

Edited by - RodOdom on 03 Feb 2007 19:37:34
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2007 :  22:15:48  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Porphyry is mentioned in the Demihuman Deities write-up of Ghaunadaur.
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2007 :  00:06:51  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Ooh, thanks !
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2007 :  00:21:30  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Something just struck me the other day: weights and measures. Ed has previously given us some information regarding measurements in the Realms, but I've never seen anything on weights. Got anything to tell us, Mr Greenwood?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2007 :  05:00:15  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Oooh, good question, George! Off to Ed it goes!
Hello again, all.
This time Ed answers Rinonalyrna Fathomlin, re. this followup: “Actually, there is one more thing I was wondering about: I know that most newer wills contain a self-proving clause that states that the testator was not a minor, was of sound mind, and was under no undue influence or constraint. Is there anything similar to that in Cormyr? Being the fastidiously lawful realm that it is, I figure there might be. Thanks again, Rinonalyrna”
Ed replies:

Yes and no. That is, there are no such written clauses, but there ARE witnesses who sign, mark, stamp, or seal the documents attesting to the very things you mention. As I revealed some years ago, most contracts, trade agreements, and wills in Cormyr (and in wider settled and civilized Faerûn, too) are made before witnesses at a temple (priests) or before magisters (local justices) or “local lords” (administrators installed by the Crown, the equivalents of mayors and police chiefs).
Their marks on a will are only placed there if they believe the testator (not a Realms term, by the way; in the Realms, such persons are known as “utterers”) is either of age or is the last living heir of a family (underage nobles can make wills, if they are “the last of their line,” as can the sole eneficiaries of family wealth if more than one land property is part of that wealth), is of sound mind, and isn’t under constraint or undue influence (this last part is their primary focus; Crown clerks and the local lords they work for will often “guest” an utterer for days, chatting with them over meals and walks alone, to make sure they’re not influenced by someone else, as well as making the usual magical examinations).
Except, of course, in cases where no controversy or difficulties are thought to exist. Which from time to time (when hitherto-unknown or thought-to-be-dead heirs or claimants arise) causes future complications, yes.

So saith Ed. Who thinks things through in the Realms, and over forty years has built up a fair depth of thinking for us all.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2007 :  16:29:13  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
Awesome! That's really interesting. Thank you Ed, and Hooded One.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2007 :  17:58:47  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello all,

Mr. Greenwood I was curious as to what are the various types of peacestrings used in the north, Heartlands and the South, and in terms of game mechanics, how long does it take to untie them to pull weapons? What are the equivalant for casters besides the thumb- tie, exactly how is the thumb or fingers tied to prevent somatic casting. And one more thing, do druids have to prepare spells at a certain time of day regularly if at all?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2007 :  22:58:03  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Hello all,

Mr. Greenwood I was curious as to what are the various types of peacestrings used in the north, Heartlands and the South, and in terms of game mechanics, how long does it take to untie them to pull weapons? What are the equivalant for casters besides the thumb- tie, exactly how is the thumb or fingers tied to prevent somatic casting. And one more thing, do druids have to prepare spells at a certain time of day regularly if at all?

Thanks

I am not Ed (and never will be ;) but we have used a house-rule in my gaming group - untying/snapping/cutting a peace-string is a move-equivalent action.

Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2007 :  00:11:22  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message
Dear Ed and the lovely hooded lady,

I finally got around to reading my copy of The Best of the Realms, volume 2, having read volume 1 a few months ago. I severely enjoy the wry quotes (usually courtesy of Volo) at the beginning of the stories. On that note, on the story "Bloodbound"; beyond Fzoul and his temptation over the armlet, what exactly happened to Tace (Tantaraze) after her fateful meeting with Storm?

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2007 :  03:14:01  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Hello all,

Thanks

Yes, I must say this was something I was going to bring up: where are the peacestrings in "Swords of Eveningstar"?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2007 :  03:20:07  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
Yes, I must say this was something I was going to bring up: where are the peacestrings in "Swords of Eveningstar"?

-- George Krashos
Bandits and assassins have no care for the laws regarding peacestrings, and that knights of the realm and chartered adventurers both have leave not to bind their weapons. All of the borne steel in Swords of Eveningstar is carried by Purple Dragons, the Swords/Knights (who, as chartered adventurers, and then knights, are "doubly" permitted to wear their swords unbound), or by criminals attempting to take the lives of Azoun or Florin and his band.

I have some makeshift rules for peacebound weapons around here somewhere. Mayhaps I'll send them off to Ed and see if he agrees to their terms?
Go to Top of Page

Mandras
Seeker

Estonia
51 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2007 :  05:30:39  Show Profile  Visit Mandras's Homepage Send Mandras a Private Message
Well met.

I have tried twice in different threads with the questions about Mirrormane family (believing falsely that the family was created by James Lowder). As he corrected my mistake, I will try to ask these questions from the author:

What is known about the Mirrormane family (the most notable members are brothers Maskul and Xeno who were the high priests of Cyric's Temple in Zhentil Keep)?

What are the origins and roots of the Mirrormane family? What was it's social class and wealth before Time of Troubles? Were they nobles or merchants or just plain commoners who made quick career after the rise of Cyric?

Was this family somehow tied or connected with Cyric before his godhood?

What did the family do before the time of troubles?

Were the Maskul and Xeno members of Church of Bane?

Are any other members of this family mentioned somewhere? Or have You designed any other?

Best Regards,

Mandras

PS! I apologise for triple posting.

"The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple."
Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2007 :  10:42:57  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos
Bandits and assassins have no care for the laws regarding peacestrings, and that knights of the realm and chartered adventurers both have leave not to bind their weapons. All of the borne steel in Swords of Eveningstar is carried by Purple Dragons, the Swords/Knights (who, as chartered adventurers, and then knights, are "doubly" permitted to wear their swords unbound), or by criminals attempting to take the lives of Azoun or Florin and his band.

I have some makeshift rules for peacebound weapons around here somewhere. Mayhaps I'll send them off to Ed and see if he agrees to their terms?

So how come Islif was brandishing her obviously non-peace-stringed new blade to her fellow not-yet-Knights?

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2007 :  15:21:21  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Because, like any teenager hanging out in a semi-wilderness "hideout" with other teenagers, she ignored the law. Remember, she doesn't even have a proper belt and scabbard for the thing yet!
There are many "casual exceptions" to the law. The man who made the blade for her (and all smiths, asked to make or repair blades) is lawfully allowed to have it and even (in his workplace, to test balance, temper, etc.) brandish it; she could have "covered" herself, if questioned carrying it from him to her home or to the Stronghold, by saying (honestly) that it was her payment to him. (Cormyreans are VERY strong on debt repayments.) Sword vendors are likewise allowed to have weapons unbound in their possession -- and so on.
The right way to regard peacestrings laws are that they are the sort of thing Watch officers and Purple Dragons apply when they WANT to; in other words, against a suspicious character, not old Aldo the one-legged veteran who fetches down his old sword from his wall and waves it while telling of his valiant part in an old battle on behalf of the Crown, years and years ago. Most of the time, "authorities" turn a blind eye, enforcing only when it's useful to control malcontents, drunkards, crazies, bandits, and thieves.
Garen Thal is correct; almost all of the sword waving in SWORDS OF EVENINGSTAR is done by "exempt" persons; even Florin, as a forester in the woods, or Delbossan and his guards, as arms of the Crown charged with guarding and protecting Narantha, are "allowed" to draw unbound steel. So are nobles in their own homes (includes walled grounds immediately around them, such as gardens). Anyone hunting, noble or otherwise, who can give just cause why they're allowed to hunt where they're found, is also "allowed." And so on.
The regulation usually gets levied against folk in a city, tavern, or inn, who walk around with bared steel to menace others, or who draw steel at a guild or club meeting. "Don't place that wager, or else..." or "Better pay up, or else..." (Response: someone slips out to fetch the Watch.)
One place where folk will always run into trouble with unbound weapons is when meeting a road-patrol on a road in Cormyr, or trying to pass through any city gate, in or out. If there's a brawl at a tavern or an inspection by the Watch or arriving Purple Dragons, patrons had better have their weapons bound, too.
I'm basing this response on years of play with Ed as DM, much of it in Cormyr -- or involving Knights "twitting" Cormyreans who are in the Dales.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 05 Feb 2007 15:32:19
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2007 :  15:26:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And hello again, scribes; Ed's latest lore reply just arrived (with a thump) in my inbox.
This time Ed answers Charles Phipps re. this: “An odd question Ed but one I'm really curious about.
Can you tell us what Fzoul's style of leadership is like? I'm interested as to how the Chosen of Bane interacts with his followers in the Church and Zhents.”
Ed replies:

Charles, I’ve always tried to keep this topic as “fuzzy” as possible, so as to give Realms novel authors maximum freedom. However, let me speak in overall generalizations rather than specifics.
Whereas Manshoon played one underling off against another, using implied threats and dire examples to “train” loyal behaviour (and had as many as fourteen “contingency plans” in place at all times, constantly altering and dovetailing them so as to smoothly control everything without seeming to), Fzoul is the ultimate political animal: he’ll say and do anything to get his own way, right now, in every situation.
This of course means none of the gods he serves trust him; they know his loyalty is ultimately personal, and he has kept his life and position only because the priests under him supported him as a religious superior, AND the beholders supported him personally, as the man they could best precisely order about. Fzoul uses the beholders to crush personal threats against him, and the priests to keep the Zhentarim wizards (who so tested and sought to undermine Manshoon, repeatedly) in line.
Fzoul has risen far and fast, by being a lucky, swift-witted, and ruthless opportunist. However, in cunning, foresight, and strategy Manshoon is always about eight steps ahead of him; some observers (such as Elminster) even believe Manshoon engineered his own “downfall” so as not to be in charge and on the firing line when “something big” happens, soon. Just what that is, and how Fzoul’s going to handle it, of course remain mysteries Yet To Be Revealed, for us all.

So saith Ed. Who has spoken and written about this topic a time or two before, and is carefully dancing around both NDAs and future plans, here.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000