Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2007 :  18:04:19  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
ED & THO,

Yet another non Reamlsian query. Ed, have you been working on or heard of any plans to bring more Castlemourn material to us?

Have a safe drive!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2007 :  02:36:38  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
Thanks for the details about the Western Heartlands, I love that area of Faerun. Cormyr too.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2007 :  04:30:46  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Surprise! I was able to get hold of Ed en route down to GenCon, re. The Sage's request, and here's his reply:

Sure. Margaret asked me. :}
Literally; Margaret Weis and I are friends, of course, and she e-mailed me to see if I was interested. I was delighted (Margaret is not only my friend, but a lovely person, a great lady, and a darned fine fiction writer and fantasy designer; if she calls, I come running), and wrote something that I BELIEVE (but am not sure) was tweaked by Sean Everette to make it more Krynn-ish. (I haven't yet seen the end result, but he did send me an e-mail asking if I minded his rewriting it, and I said fine.) Whatever form it's in, I hope it entertains; I look forward to getting myself a copy, at GenCon. Hope you enjoyed it.

So saith Ed. He and I will DEFINITELY fall silent now, for a week, but don't stop the questions coming; I've sent Ed the latest batch, and they're great, scribes!
love to all,
THO

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2007 :  04:38:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Thanks Ed. The Lady Hooded One's tireless efforts to keep us up-to-date know no bounds!

And I did indeed enjoy it. It was a curiously entertaining addition to the book itself.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

darksongknight
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2007 :  18:11:18  Show Profile  Visit darksongknight's Homepage Send darksongknight a Private Message
Greetings Ed and lovely Hooded One,
I have a few questions regarding Hamalitia Everlove, the moon elven High Priestess of Hanali's temple in Evereska. I was wondering if the name "Everlove" was truly her family/house name, or more of a title given to her by Hanali's clergy.

Also, could you shine some light onto Hamalitia's house and family members, and what has become of them since the Phaerimm's assault? I'd like to tie my character in with her family/house. Heres a little bit of information on him below.

Suppose there is a young sun elven bard (age 110) with a family connection to Hamalitia. He is very much an artist, talented at singing, dancing, sculpting, gemcutting, and perfume-making, and plans on becoming a cleric/goldheart of Hanali. He wishes to enter into the clergy at the Fountainheart of Shimmering Gold.

Any comments or information on this would be great!

Also, I'd like to thank Ed for creating such an amazing and diverse place as the Realms, and thank the Hooded one for taking the time to get responses from Ed and give them to us here. I honestly couldn't imagine DnD without the Realms, nor would I want to... A very bland and grey place it would be.
Best of wishes during your break!

Edited by - darksongknight on 16 Aug 2007 16:22:32
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2007 :  18:35:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by darksongknight

Suppose there is a young sun elven bard (age 110) with a family connection to Hamalitia. He is very much an artist, talented at singing, dancing, sculpting, gemcutting, and perfume-making, and plans on becoming a cleric/goldheart of Hanali. He wishes to enter into the clergy at the Fountainheart of Shimmering Gold.

Considering the phaerimm's attack, would the clergy need aid and welcome him at this point, or is there many faithful left alive to serve at the temple?

Deities like to be worshipped. And a deity's clergy are generally tasked with spreading the faith... I can't see any reason why a potential cleric would be turned away from serving, unless the clergy felt he/she was not suited to the faith (which doesn't seem to be the issue, here), or, in odd cases, if there was some personal animosity between the would-be cleric and someone else in the clergy -- and even that would likely not be an issue.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2007 :  19:13:51  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Ed & THO,

In keeping with the "describe this or that locale" line of questions, can you give us a description of the light green area in the lower Delimbiyr Crescent (Secomber to Llorkh) between the heavy forests and the river? If you could, please also advise of the light green in the upper Delimbiyr Vale.

As always, much thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2007 :  20:37:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn

Ed & THO,

In keeping with the "describe this or that locale" line of questions, can you give us a description of the light green area in the lower Delimbiyr Crescent (Secomber to Llorkh) between the heavy forests and the river? If you could, please also advise of the light green in the upper Delimbiyr Vale.

As always, much thanks.

Well, it's a lovely shade of light green...

Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  22:00:48  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello,

I'm at the con and it's a mess, can anyone provide any info on where Ed will be over the next few days.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

darksongknight
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  08:19:39  Show Profile  Visit darksongknight's Homepage Send darksongknight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Deities like to be worshipped. And a deity's clergy are generally tasked with spreading the faith... I can't see any reason why a potential cleric would be turned away from serving, unless the clergy felt he/she was not suited to the faith (which doesn't seem to be the issue, here), or, in odd cases, if there was some personal animosity between the would-be cleric and someone else in the clergy -- and even that would likely not be an issue.

Thank you for the input, I edited my question a little bit. Hope thats ok. I also may get around to posting some more information in the other forums on my character, and would love to know some thoughts on him there once I do. May take a few days though... still in the details process.
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2007 :  01:27:01  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
foget last post, ran into him just walking down the street, go figga.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2007 :  19:34:42  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Well met!

In Waterdeep, is there anything distinguishing or "special" about doors which let out into alleys? Do businesses place signage at the back door as well as the front? Are alley doors stronger or better defended than front doors? If a building has a basement, is it common practice for it to have an outside entrance to it (like the cellar doors so common in the midwest, as in The Wizard of Oz)?

I hope one and all have been having a pleasant (and hopefully not soggy) August so far!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  10:47:04  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Well met

I hope ye pinned the old sage down and drilled him for Realmslore, createvmind Report back!

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  21:46:19  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Ed & THO,

As always, much thanks.

Hmmm... it appears that the Master of Mischief has hijacked this thread from the Master of the Green Wood! Maybe it's just me, but the quality of the Lore seems to have dramatically decreased...

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm

Edited by - Asgetrion on 19 Aug 2007 21:55:24
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2007 :  01:21:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

quote:

quote:

Ed & THO,

As always, much thanks.

Hmmm... it appears that the Master of Mischief has hijacked this thread from the Master of the Green Wood! Maybe it's just me, but the quality of the Lore seems to have dramatically decreased...

Aye, and expect it to continue this way until Big Al gives me my "Questions for the Furry Hamster" thread!

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2007 :  03:32:09  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message
Ed won't be able to answer because of NDA but I'll try.

What is the ratio of the work done on the new FRCS will come from freelancers (like Ed himself, Eric Boyd, etc.) vs the WoTC staff ?

An easier one, I would bet a lot that D&D 4E is more in line with what Ed would like in a RPG than D&D 3.x was, I'm winner or looser ?

Any talks about resuming the "Border kingdoms articles" on DnDInsider ?

Edited by - Skeptic on 20 Aug 2007 03:34:51
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2007 :  16:11:15  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:

Well met

I hope ye pinned the old sage down and drilled him for Realmslore, createvmind Report back!

Unfortunately I was bogged down in Undermountain with the most suicidal party I've ever played with, Druid killed before final encounter and Warblade decides to jump down at a undead dwarf in mithral breastplate wielding a flaming maul. After he became smoldering ash the rogue decides with his 33 hp he's going to attack same undead who is backed by a large fiendish wolf all by his lonesome with no magic weapon. He too met his god and left me with two clerics, both trying to turn the (Curst) until I suggested using our cure wands on it. One cleric still did absolutely nothing but we finally defeated undead and then wolf in a battle of attrition and healing. When I looked at time the realms forum had come and gone and I missed meeting any of the fellow scribes from Candlekeep yet another year.

News

4 Edition was announced for 08, will have some online etool type server as well and dungeon creator, at a price of course.

Living Greyhawk ends in 08

Forgotten Realms becomes Living Realms for RPGA players in 08 if I heard correctly.

Much more than that but I'll let someone who knows exact details fill everyone in.

Edited by - createvmind on 20 Aug 2007 16:12:41
Go to Top of Page

Athenon
Acolyte

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2007 :  16:30:56  Show Profile  Visit Athenon's Homepage Send Athenon a Private Message
Hi ED and THO,

I wanted to say thanks to Ed and company at WotC for the "Secrets of the Realms" seminar at GenCon. I left very excited about the direction that you guys are taking things with the 4th Edition version of the Realms. The enthusiasm you guys showed for the setting is great.

I have to agree with George Krashos - the Spin a Yarn thing is amusing, but I would love to hear Ed talk about more serious Realmslore for a couple hours (like the QAs they used to do with Ed/Elminster).

I know NDAs abound about 4th Edition things, but I have a couple general questions that may fly under the radar (I hope). Do you know when we'll have some preliminary information about the Year of the Blue Fire-era Realms? What I'm specifically wondering is if there will be enough information available in 6/08 to start a new Realms campaign and know that the location you're going to use hasn't been radically changed/obliterated...

Thanks as always for keeping the Realms a vibrant and compelling "living" world.

Oh yeah - did the Lady Hooded sneak into GenCon this year?

Will Maranto

Representing the Realms in the Wilds of Northern Louisiana
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2007 :  22:55:03  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Hey Ed, hope I didn't startle you Saturday walking down the street like that, having a stranger say "Hey I've been looking for you." might be a little unsettling blocks away from a con event and with no badge on.

My question is can you possibly tell us what the drugs ( Crownsilver and other two nobles meeting) do that are mentioned in Swords of Dragonfire?
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2007 :  02:21:30  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message
Hello Ed and THO! Hope you enjoyed Gencon.

Quick question about the Purple Dragons. Is there a required reading list of books on battle tactics, strategies etc for Purple Dragon Officers and what books would be on such a list?

Thanks in advance.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2007 :  00:35:50  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Ed I'm wondering if you really said this at Gencon to a poster that posted it on WOTC's boards.

"He also adivsed that I (we) simply look past our anger...get over it, and all that, and soon. That's straight from Ed to me to you (all of you)...so I ask you to consider his advice."

If that is true, that's a very nice attitude for a game designer to have. I'm not saying that you really said that but if it's true, I'm a bit disgusted.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 22 Aug 2007 00:36:28
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2007 :  01:42:16  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Kuje what is Ed's supposedly responding to?

Is it in reference to fourth edition, whats the complete statement and question?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2007 :  01:50:45  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:

Kuje what is Ed's supposedly responding to?

Is it in reference to fourth edition, whats the complete statement and question?

Seems to be about 4e and FR changes. The poster, over on WOTC, didn't really say what the conversation was about.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2007 :  02:53:56  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Yeah I heard something about the realms being set more than a 100 years from current 1374-5 for either 4th edition or Living campaign conversion and that the world will not look like it currently does. It was implied that the non-faerun areas may undergo some massive upheaval, destroying them completely.

Hearsay mostly, guess we'll see within the next 6 months or so.
Go to Top of Page

Athenon
Acolyte

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2007 :  04:34:48  Show Profile  Visit Athenon's Homepage Send Athenon a Private Message
Ed did say that Waterdeep would still be intact, FYI. Kuje, I was at the seminar and I didn't hear him say anything like that. I don't think that's Ed's attitude at all.

Will Maranto

Representing the Realms in the Wilds of Northern Louisiana
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2007 :  19:35:00  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
I quizzed Ed about whether THO was present at GEN-CON and he advised me that she couldn't make it this year - not even in suitable disguise. I was looking forward to the chance to meet her 'in the flesh' as it were, but alas that was not to be. Some of the great stories he told me about his players and their in and out of game antics had me laughing and gasping by turn.

As for Ed's attitude to the 4E changes to the Realms, I'll let the man himself answer in due course. All I will say is that his enthusiasm for the Realms, the fans and the writers and designers who labour for it are undiminished.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2007 :  23:20:23  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

First off I'd like to say a belated thanks for the information regarding War Wizards and retirement. It was most interesting, and pretty much what I was expecting.

Now to the meat of the post... I should say this announcement about 4th Ed and 4th Ed Realms has me burning with questions that are no doubt going to be met with a BIG NDA if I ask them... So, I probably shouldn't ask them... Still, the thing that's most bothering me is what I heard about the Realms being set 10 years in the future (The Year of Blue Flame), and that the Spellplague is going to get rid of a lot of high level arcane spell casters. The only one I've heard to be an exception so far is Elminster himself. Are we really about to "lose" all of the Seven Sisters and the other Chosen of Mystra (as some people (not WotC staff) have implied over on the WotC boards)? I'd like some reassurance here, since they make up most of my favorite NPCs in the Realms, and I don't think the Realms would be the same without them.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2007 :  23:28:55  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Yeah you were right, you shouldn't have asked the question, thats a whole can of worms in itself not to mention the multitude of other famous/infamous mages acrosss Faerun.

I want to know something Ed, who exactly buried and cleaned up all the mess you had occur in Halfhap, if I were the grave digger there I'd quit on the spot after seeing the mounds of flesh and limbs strewn about the place all in one night.

Sheesh.
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2007 :  06:03:35  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

"He also advised that I (we) simply look past our anger...get over it, and all that, and soon. That's straight from Ed to me to you (all of you)...so I ask you to consider his advice."
Kuje, he was talking to me*.

Now I'll admit I could have been blinded by sheer star power , thus my memory might have failed....but I don't think it did.

:::::::::::::

It didn't occur to me until I got to my room that Ed might have thought I was stalking him as I followed him into the elevator after we passed into the hotel from the skywalk.

There's no way he could have known I was in the same hotel as him** until I punched my floor number.

Sorry if I frightened you Ed! ;) And thank you for taking the time!

:)

*Oooh, I think I just outed myself. Cool!

**He could have been on his way to someone else’s room, I suppose, but he seemed very rushed so I’m guessing it was him room he was off to.

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene

Edited by - Sanishiver on 23 Aug 2007 06:05:41
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2007 :  10:16:00  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
I heard nothing about the Spellplague culling the ranks of high-level wizards in the Realms. This is pure supposition and extrapolation which has not been confirmed officially by anyone.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000