Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 FR fans that are also DL fans?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  02:42:43  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm just curious as to how many forgotten realms fans are also dragonlance fans...i myself am a pretty big DL fan on account thats where i started reading fantasy...its my roots...and for some reason i get more attached to the characters in DL and Plus they actually die ....i mean in like 7 books almost all the main characters died...and thats sad if you liked them but it adds a sense of realism...anyways thats not the point sorry for my rant...i just want to know how many FR fans are DL fans and anything else you want to through in there be my guest...

Unofficial Random Hiatus Taker.

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  02:59:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I consider myself a long-devoted DL fan -- I have been since before there was a "published" Forgotten Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 28 Dec 2006 03:00:08
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  03:06:26  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ditto. I own every Dlance novel and most of the current sourcebooks. I hated the Sega system so didn't buy many of them. Tales of the Lance box set was a must though and I even use it for FR games. Especially for the mino weapons. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  03:23:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must admit... I never particularly liked the SAGA system either. And I own all the novels and sourcebooks (both old and new) published... as well as some of those rare DRAGON articles that are now hard to find. ::snicker::

Though, I'll agree on TotL being useful for FR -- especially with regard to the monsters detailed within, as well as some of the artifacts referenced.

I got most of my minotaur lore, for FR, well... just tidbits really (since I've never wanted my FR minotaurs to be clones of those in DL -- just like Ed), from Taladas: The Minotaurs.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  04:36:15  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have read almost all of the DL novels. never played in the setting though
Go to Top of Page

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  05:03:11  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i have a large collection of DL books that i havnt dove into yet....compliments of my cousin...because of her i have many many DL books waiting to be read....but so far ive only read alot of the main ones....but i find it kinda funny...i notice that so far most of the DL fans are the higher ranking scribes ...and even moderators...but yeah my first DL book back in the day was Darkness and Light....Sturm and Kitiara and all the silly little gnomes....it was an odd but ok introduction to DL and the fantasy world....i was like 13 and my aunt purchased it for me at a garage sale...and me...having only read crap as far as books i took on to it and here i am on a FR based forum talking about fantasy books....what a wonderful chain of minor but quite pleasing events....wouldnt you say so? lol

Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  05:16:32  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm such a big DL fan that when I first started running FR (15 years ago or so), I tried to hybridize them. Specifically

1) my elves acted a lot like krynnish elves, and had more krynnish sounding names (basically add "alas" for girls and "thalas" for boys)

2) I imported the Solamnic Knighthood en masse and replaced their triad with the FR Triad.

3) Orders of High Sorcery! Gods I love those guys!

I did however leave out all of the main characters. Including Tanis and the bunch would be less like a hybrid and more like Frankenstein. None of the events of the Chronicles/Legends happened in my hybrid.

Most of my hybrid is gone now though there are some former PC elves that stick out when our characters encounter them, and another former PC Knight that's got quite a reputation from his exploits on Haptooth hill.

Speaking of hybrids... Dragons of Faerun seemed to me like an attempt to import some DL flavor into FR. Did it strike anyone else that way?

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  08:07:42  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started out with DL, back in '90, when I finally got around to DMing D&D. Until then I had been playing it, mainly.

I agree, the Order of High Sorcery is awesome.

As for novels, I followed the Dragons of a Vanished Moon etc, and read Amber and Ashes, but I haven't ever really regained the enthusiasm I had for Krynn back in the 90s. And now with the lost chronicles, or whatever it is called, I am even less interested.

As for Dragons of Faerūn trying to import DL flavor into the Realms, I don't think so. To me, it seems as if Wizards (and I just realized this!) tried to actually tie novels (Rage of Dragons) and gaming products together.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  10:40:31  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've read a fair amount of DL novels, but have never played in the setting.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  12:18:10  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must admit I am a DL fan,

The orders of sorcery with the rankings and different schools, seem a more structured way of managing spellslingers.

And believe it or not I am a big fan of the Knighthood.

All this from a Battlerager wanna be!

Delz

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  12:27:37  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Way back when I was desperate for good fantasy novels, alot of what was published was weird, well, crap... I was in high school at the time (that was A Long Time Ago...)and a great fellow let me borrow his DragonLance novels, Dragons of Autumn Twilight, etc. I was hooked and went on to buy every DragonLance novel I could lay my hands on. I even purchased Weis and Hickman's Darksword Trilogy. Dragonlance is what lead me to discover the other books published by TSR; the Gord the Rogue novels namely, and then came that fateful day when I saw a book with a striking cover. That book was Darkwalker on Moonshae! I have been a Realms junkie ever since. Even though I no longer follow Dragonlance I will always say the original series was some of the best fantasy written in my lifetime...

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  12:42:26  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even though I have gotten a bit behind with reading the newer novels I would call myself a Dragonlance fan ( I even like the Preludes and Meeting series ). I have never played much in the setting though, despite owning quite a bit of source books, both older and newer.

I liked the SAGA products, but the system was a bit to loose and at the same time restricted to really be an option. I still enjoy reading through the products though.
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  15:38:48  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the original trilogy and some of the subsequent books just after that but nothing recent.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  15:43:59  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is this SAGA that keeps coming up?

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  16:25:27  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The SAGA system was a dice-less system used for the fifth age during the late 90's. Instead of dice it used a deck of cards that carried a number, a suite and the portrait of a known Dragonlance character. The deck determined your success or failure and the DM could decide on a case by case basis what happened by using suites, numbers and pictures. The system had potential, but it was difficult to get a grip on.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  17:32:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was a huge Dragginglance fan for a year or two... This was back when there were only about 5 or 6 trilogies to choose from. I actually got into it from the comic book -- I saw one of my friends reading it, and it looked good, so I picked it up. I later asked him about the novels, and that got me started into Dragginglance. And I eventually got into the Realms, because of DL.

But... What quickly soured me on Krynn was the fact that after the War of the Lance and the Battle of Palanthas, nothing new happened. No one moved the setting forward -- TSR instead chose to go backwards. We'd get all sorts of tales set in the past, either contradictory stuff about the Companions of the Lance before the War, or we'd explore aspects of Krynnish history hundreds, if not thousands, of years before the current time.

I got bored because the setting was going stagnant. When I started reading Realms stuff, I saw a world that was both more detailed and that had an active, dynamic timeline that was moving forward. I was hooked.

I've picked up a few more DL books since then, but not many. I really like draconians and dragonspawn, but a lot of the Age of Mortals stuff left me cold. I still like the setting, but my enjoyment of it is a pale shadow of what it once was. Unless I win the lottery or something, I doubt I'll ever get all that involved with the setting again.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 28 Dec 2006 17:33:58
Go to Top of Page

Korginard
Learned Scribe

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  18:20:44  Show Profile  Visit Korginard's Homepage Send Korginard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tend to agree with the "Too much history, not enough future" feeling Dragonlance game me, and how the realms seemed a lot more vibrant to me. I know die hard DL fans will say they wrote plenty of newer stories about the ages after the original trilogy, but I just never got past Chronicles and Legends.
As for the Hybrid campain, this intrigued me a bit. I can easily see the Elves as I've always allowed DL elves to influence my idea of elves elsewhere, but how detailed did you get in bringing the Solomnic Knights and Orders of High Sorcery into the Realms?
How did the Solamnic Knights fit in with Realms politics? Were they affiliated with a specific nation like Cormyr or were they multi-national?
The Orders raise even more questions. Did your realms have 3 moons tied to magic? How did this affect Selune in your world? Did you use Mystra as the primary goddess of Magic or did you have the 3 from Krynn? All of them? OR did you forget about all that and simply use the structure of White, Red and Black robed mages?
How did this affect established magic organizations in the realms? The Hosttower? Thay? (Who would actualy be more Black Wizards than Red)
Did you even go into this much detail?
It's just a fascinating idea and I'm curious how far you went with it.
Go to Top of Page

Aglaranna
Learned Scribe

166 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  18:59:43  Show Profile  Visit Aglaranna's Homepage Send Aglaranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While we're on the subject...Does anyone remember Greyhawk? And I don't mean "greyhawking" as in the verb, either. I mean, Gord the Rogue and all...

"You can choose a ready guide
In some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide
You still have made a choice

You can choose from phantom fears
And kindness that can kill
I will choose the path that's clear
I will choose freewill." -'Freewill' by Rush
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  19:15:23  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read the first two Gord novels by Gygax...and then passed on the chance to buy the rest of the series when I was in Lake Geneva. Fun to read...in a very twisted way...the word raw-goo still comes to mind.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Aglaranna
Learned Scribe

166 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  19:24:30  Show Profile  Visit Aglaranna's Homepage Send Aglaranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ha! Yeah...I know...But those books were thrust upon me at the young age of...Eh, ten, I think...So I've got that, uh, stuff, stowed away in my subconscious.

"You can choose a ready guide
In some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide
You still have made a choice

You can choose from phantom fears
And kindness that can kill
I will choose the path that's clear
I will choose freewill." -'Freewill' by Rush
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  19:25:38  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I was ten when I read the Illiad...

Go to Top of Page

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  19:28:29  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with the too much past as well....like i said i have many of the side stories and other books like that but i havnt read any of them yet....ive only read like the frsit 8 in the main storyline and i stopped and went to the realms...and to be honest ive never tried D and D in the Kryyn setting...or the SAGA thing...or anything like that...but yes DL is my roots and even if i dont get as obsessed with it as i could i will still look back on it as a n unforgettable classic

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  19:32:19  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cute...to see 8 books as the roots. Damn, what would my roots be then? Terry Brooks prolly, or Perry Rhodan...back in the 80s...even before I discovered roleplaying

Go to Top of Page

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  19:34:52  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
cute....way to make me seem....idk...lol...but yeah i didnt really discover roleplaying until like 4 years ago...so yeah....im new to everything...FR...DL....RP....im just a silly noob i guess....hehe

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  19:37:56  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Genis

cute....way to make me seem....idk...lol...but yeah i didnt really discover roleplaying until like 4 years ago...so yeah....im new to everything...FR...DL....RP....im just a silly noob i guess....hehe

I feel old now... and I prolly can be counted amongst the second generation of roleplayers...maybe third, but I just realized that I've probably been gaming longer than you have been breathing...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  19:40:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aglaranna

While we're on the subject...Does anyone remember Greyhawk? And I don't mean "greyhawking" as in the verb, either. I mean, Gord the Rogue and all...

I read the two Gord the Rogue books that were published as Greyhawk novels (I believe more were published by a company other than TSR). There were about 4 Greyhawk novels about a Wolf Nomad, I believe they were written by Rose Estes. And there was a later novel called The Eyes Have It, IIRC. I read all of those. That setting also failed to grab me, mainly because none of it was connected to anything else. Maybe it's because of those novels, but Greyhawk has, for me, always had a patchwork feel to it. It seems like various elements were dropped into the world without worrying about the overall feel and how these elements would interact.

At least, that's my opinion. I certainly don't want to start a debate on the pros and cons of each setting. To each his own, and all that.

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2006 :  19:42:04  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Gord novels also felt like the basic retelling of a campaign...to a degree

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  00:15:01  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

The Gord novels also felt like the basic retelling of a campaign...to a degree

I liked the first few Gord novels at least the one's published by TSR.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  01:47:55  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started reading with Chronicles and we started our gaming experience in the Dragonlance setting. It wasn't until years later that I discovered Drizzt and Elminster and made the switch. Saga rules and the whole 5th Age path turned me away from DL.

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  05:26:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and I'll add one more thing: I may have grown disillusioned with the Dragginglance setting, but Weis & Hickman are among the very small number of authors that can sell me a book by putting their name on the cover.

Go to Top of Page

Zimme
Learned Scribe

Denmark
209 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  21:35:19  Show Profile Send Zimme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

quote:
Originally posted by Genis

I feel old now... and I prolly can be counted amongst the second generation of roleplayers...maybe third, but I just realized that I've probably been gaming longer than you have been breathing...

Damn now i feel old, back creaking, heading for the nursing home, senile, remembering the the 1864 war.......i stop now..

I am and was a big DL fan, there is a special feel to krynn, the rarity of magic and all kinds of special features described so well through gaming material and fiction, the home of grand epics.

Sometimes I feel like Beshaba is sitting on my back, devoting her entire attention to me!

Rannek.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000