Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 FR fans that are also DL fans?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Genis Posted - 28 Dec 2006 : 02:42:43
I'm just curious as to how many forgotten realms fans are also dragonlance fans...i myself am a pretty big DL fan on account thats where i started reading fantasy...its my roots...and for some reason i get more attached to the characters in DL and Plus they actually die ....i mean in like 7 books almost all the main characters died...and thats sad if you liked them but it adds a sense of realism...anyways thats not the point sorry for my rant...i just want to know how many FR fans are DL fans and anything else you want to through in there be my guest...
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
riot the outsider Posted - 02 Oct 2007 : 19:48:25
The DL books to me weren't great at all, FR blows them away,But thats fine if you like them. The best fantasy books i've read are the sunset warrior series by Eric van lustbader you should check it out if you like great fantasy.

P.s. the only DL character was caramon.
Also tell me what you think of my suggestion.
Haman Posted - 02 Oct 2007 : 19:27:17
Dragonlance was my first real delve into fantasy writing, and I credit it with starting me on the path of gaming. The first 6 books were fantastic (original trilogy, then the twins series). But then I feel DL made some crucial mistakes, just a few being: Allowing anyone that wanted to write a book to write one, which led to a flood of really, REALLY bad DL books, and the first 12 or so modules that came out all centering around the trilogy where your players played the Heroes of the Lance and you had to follow in their footsteps as if shackeled, to save the world just like they did.

Thank Ao the first game I played in was run by a Realms nut and was set in Toril! For all the problems I started seeing with Dragonlance, it seemed the opposite with the Forgotten Realms. The obsession I was building up for gaming turned towards the Realms and has stayed there ever since.

I still feel sentimentality towards DL, and honor it, but I just think they made too many mistakes along the way and have had too many chances to correct it but failed. A game shouldn't be created based off of novels, especially if said novels revolve around saving the world or bringing about huge changes thus denying your characters from doing the same if you wish to use canon material. And it's not like you can just ignore the novels, as it seemed they only detailed lands/creatures/cultures in the sourcebooks, that were in the novels, and rarely anything else.

I still own Tales of the Lance (which WAS decent), the DL hardcover campaign book and the first 20 or so modules, but thats it. Whereas I own every single product for the Realms barring two items (Someday Great Khan game and H3, someday!), so yes I AM biased.
Valdar Oakensong Posted - 02 Oct 2007 : 18:29:54
I read the Chronicles when they were 1st released back in '84 (yes I am old). I then discovered Dragon, then FR so I have a soft spot for DL cause they got me here. Never played the setting tho.
Alisttair Posted - 01 Oct 2007 : 18:02:24
I have the 3E DL Campaign Setting...haven't read through it yet or any of the novels I own....what I know is what i've been told from others and reading online info, but I would much like to sink my teeth into it sometime...if ever I get time away from FR, which I usually don't ;)
Xysma Posted - 30 Sep 2007 : 05:23:03
I've been a fan of Dragonlance since I read the novels as a teenager. I never played in the setting and haven't really kept up with it, but I enjoyed those novels tremendously. I'll throw out there too that the Chronicles comic adaptation by Devil's Due was quite good IMO.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 30 Sep 2007 : 04:48:56
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

I disagree in this, regarding Manshoon. Manshoon (as portrayed by Ed) is much more cunning and devious that what we are seeing of him...

And, on the other side of the coin, Raist in FR will not survive that long...
Think about it. To become the Master of Past and Present, he will need to destroy not Fistadantilus, but Larloch. Two rounds with the old lich, and Raist will change from Soulforged to Toyforged.

Good point my friend. But I must humbly disagree on the last point.
Raistlin defeated Fistandantilus despite the fact the he was nowhere close to him in Magical might. Raistlin defeated him by outsmarting him and taking advantage of F's overconfirdence. Seems to me that Larloch has much in common with F.

Well, having 60 liches or so under your thumb does tend to make one a bit confident... And besides, I think that if Larloch could be outsmarted that easily, he'd not be in the position he's in -- he'd be another forgotten lich that never amounted to anything.
The Red Walker Posted - 30 Sep 2007 : 04:31:54
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

I disagree in this, regarding Manshoon. Manshoon (as portrayed by Ed) is much more cunning and devious that what we are seeing of him...

Think about it. To become the Master of Past and Present, he will need to destroy not Fistadantilus, but Larloch. Two rounds with the old lich, and Raist will change from Soulforged to Toyforged.

Good point my friend. But I must humbly disagree on the last point.
Raistlin defeated Fistandantilus despite the fact the he was nowhere close to him in Magical might. Raistlin defeated him by outsmarting him and taking advantage of F's overconfirdence. Seems to me that Larloch has much in common with F.
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 30 Sep 2007 : 03:53:35

The Red Walker Posted - 30 Sep 2007 : 03:33:56
I love both but prefer FR. But I think if Raistlin would have originated in FR, it would have helped it grow bigger faster!

He would be a much better foil for the old sage than Manshoon or Szass.
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 29 Sep 2007 : 17:39:09
I“m a great fan of Dragonlance, too.
Basically, I buy the FR old grey box in portuguese, and fall in love. Some months later, I buy (from a friend)the Dragonlance boxed set, too, Dlance MC and the War of the Lance trilogy. =)

Today, I have some DLance stuff (and Planescape and Dark Sun, too)
Brynweir Posted - 29 Sep 2007 : 17:25:08
I own about 51 DL books and 58 FR. My husband prefers DL, and although I have read all of the ones I own, I prefer FR. I just find the characters more likeable.

I do like the fact that in DL, like RL, the big characters can die.
In FR there seems to be a lot of "as luck would have it..." or "somehow he managed..." and then the character pulls off some amazing feat that most often in RL would leave him a twisted pile of meat. (This may relate to the fact that we like the characters and therefore do not want to see them die.)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 Jan 2007 : 21:12:19
Maybe we should leave off with the Raistlin debate, since it's really not pertinent to the topic, nor is this a Dragginglance board (where such a discussion would be relevant).
Zimme Posted - 01 Jan 2007 : 20:27:38
quote:
Originally posted by Genis

lol i agree! i HATE raistlin....and for some reason ALOT of people like him....i think hes a mean arogent little prick...and i really dislike him...haha...but yeah i agree...and ive only to this point read to dragon of summer flame as well...and although they all die for the most part i like the series still...i mean it is sad...and i really felt it when Sturm died...and Tas....not so much flint but that was sad too i guess...lol...yeah...but im still a fan....just a non devoted fan....kinda like a non-practicing catholic...which i am also...i am technically catholic...but dont go to church....haha...i rahter enjoyed that analogy...go me

Bah... LONG LIVE THE MASTER OF PAST AND PRESENT! infidel! Yeah the mortality and suffering of heroes adds to flavor, making it a greater victory when they finally vaquish evil and saves the world. Actally having to think and weigh consequences, instead of being able to just punch through everything in their way and laugh of it afterwards...
Genis Posted - 30 Dec 2006 : 07:08:52
lol i agree! i HATE raistlin....and for some reason ALOT of people like him....i think hes a mean arogent little prick...and i really dislike him...haha...but yeah i agree...and ive only to this point read to dragon of summer flame as well...and although they all die for the most part i like the series still...i mean it is sad...and i really felt it when Sturm died...and Tas....not so much flint but that was sad too i guess...lol...yeah...but im still a fan....just a non devoted fan....kinda like a non-practicing catholic...which i am also...i am technically catholic...but dont go to church....haha...i rahter enjoyed that analogy...go me
The Sage Posted - 30 Dec 2006 : 00:33:07
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Aureus

can someone explain the concept of DragonLance to a noob (like me)?

Not sure if any one can give you a complete concept but here's a place to start.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonlance

Of course, the Dlance message boards is a better place to go, which are:

http://www.dragonlanceforums.com/forums/

More importantly, the "Dragonlance Lexicon" (which I've contributed a few entries for) at the DL Nexus, is a worthwhile source for DL lore:- http://www.dlnexus.com/lexicon/
Wandering_mage Posted - 29 Dec 2006 : 23:54:11
I haven't been a DL fan since Dragons of Summer Flame. Plus I dislike Raistlin, a lot. No offense to any Raistlin lovers. I used to argue with my friends over what was better DL or FR. I always liked FR better. I do give credit for the first three chronicle books in DL. I suggested that a coworker read then just last night in fact. Defintiely worth your time. That said I stay away from DL stuff now. Too much heartbreak and bad memories.... Hahahaha, way too dramatic there. :)
Kuje Posted - 29 Dec 2006 : 23:24:46
quote:
Originally posted by Aureus

Not sure if any one can give you a complete concept but here's a place to start.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonlance

Of course, the Dlance message boards is a better place to go, which are:

http://www.dragonlanceforums.com/forums/
Aureus Posted - 29 Dec 2006 : 21:58:56
Taurren Posted - 29 Dec 2006 : 21:55:47
I've loved DL since the very first book was published, and although I have been disillusioned with a few of the recent books SAGA etc ... I still finding myself picking up any new DL book that Weis and Hickman write.

The original DL Atlas still holds a place very dear to my heart.
Zimme Posted - 29 Dec 2006 : 21:35:19
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

quote:

cute....way to make me seem....idk...lol...but yeah i didnt really discover roleplaying until like 4 years ago...so yeah....im new to everything...FR...DL....RP....im just a silly noob i guess....hehe

I feel old now... and I prolly can be counted amongst the second generation of roleplayers...maybe third, but I just realized that I've probably been gaming longer than you have been breathing...

Damn now i feel old, back creaking, heading for the nursing home, senile, remembering the the 1864 war.......i stop now..

I am and was a big DL fan, there is a special feel to krynn, the rarity of magic and all kinds of special features described so well through gaming material and fiction, the home of grand epics.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Dec 2006 : 05:26:14
Oh, and I'll add one more thing: I may have grown disillusioned with the Dragginglance setting, but Weis & Hickman are among the very small number of authors that can sell me a book by putting their name on the cover.
Crust Posted - 29 Dec 2006 : 01:47:55
I started reading with Chronicles and we started our gaming experience in the Dragonlance setting. It wasn't until years later that I discovered Drizzt and Elminster and made the switch. Saga rules and the whole 5th Age path turned me away from DL.
MerrikCale Posted - 29 Dec 2006 : 00:15:01
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

The Gord novels also felt like the basic retelling of a campaign...to a degree

I liked the first few Gord novels at least the one's published by TSR.
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 28 Dec 2006 : 19:42:04
The Gord novels also felt like the basic retelling of a campaign...to a degree
Wooly Rupert Posted - 28 Dec 2006 : 19:40:42
quote:
Originally posted by Aglaranna

While we're on the subject...Does anyone remember Greyhawk? And I don't mean "greyhawking" as in the verb, either. I mean, Gord the Rogue and all...

I read the two Gord the Rogue books that were published as Greyhawk novels (I believe more were published by a company other than TSR). There were about 4 Greyhawk novels about a Wolf Nomad, I believe they were written by Rose Estes. And there was a later novel called The Eyes Have It, IIRC. I read all of those. That setting also failed to grab me, mainly because none of it was connected to anything else. Maybe it's because of those novels, but Greyhawk has, for me, always had a patchwork feel to it. It seems like various elements were dropped into the world without worrying about the overall feel and how these elements would interact.

At least, that's my opinion. I certainly don't want to start a debate on the pros and cons of each setting. To each his own, and all that.
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 28 Dec 2006 : 19:37:56
quote:

cute....way to make me seem....idk...lol...but yeah i didnt really discover roleplaying until like 4 years ago...so yeah....im new to everything...FR...DL....RP....im just a silly noob i guess....hehe

I feel old now... and I prolly can be counted amongst the second generation of roleplayers...maybe third, but I just realized that I've probably been gaming longer than you have been breathing...
Genis Posted - 28 Dec 2006 : 19:34:52
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 28 Dec 2006 : 19:32:19
Cute...to see 8 books as the roots. Damn, what would my roots be then? Terry Brooks prolly, or Perry Rhodan...back in the 80s...even before I discovered roleplaying
Genis Posted - 28 Dec 2006 : 19:28:29
I agree with the too much past as well....like i said i have many of the side stories and other books like that but i havnt read any of them yet....ive only read like the frsit 8 in the main storyline and i stopped and went to the realms...and to be honest ive never tried D and D in the Kryyn setting...or the SAGA thing...or anything like that...but yes DL is my roots and even if i dont get as obsessed with it as i could i will still look back on it as a n unforgettable classic
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 28 Dec 2006 : 19:25:38
I think I was ten when I read the Illiad...

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000