Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 FR fans that are also DL fans?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Taurren
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  21:55:47  Show Profile  Visit Taurren's Homepage Send Taurren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've loved DL since the very first book was published, and although I have been disillusioned with a few of the recent books SAGA etc ... I still finding myself picking up any new DL book that Weis and Hickman write.

The original DL Atlas still holds a place very dear to my heart.
Go to Top of Page

Aureus
Learned Scribe

Luxembourg
125 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  21:58:56  Show Profile Send Aureus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
can someone explain the concept of DragonLance to a noob (like me)?

That is not the weirdest thing that happened to me

Edited by - Aureus on 29 Dec 2006 22:46:37
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  23:24:46  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aureus

Not sure if any one can give you a complete concept but here's a place to start.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonlance

Of course, the Dlance message boards is a better place to go, which are:

http://www.dragonlanceforums.com/forums/

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2006 :  23:54:11  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't been a DL fan since Dragons of Summer Flame. Plus I dislike Raistlin, a lot. No offense to any Raistlin lovers. I used to argue with my friends over what was better DL or FR. I always liked FR better. I do give credit for the first three chronicle books in DL. I suggested that a coworker read then just last night in fact. Defintiely worth your time. That said I stay away from DL stuff now. Too much heartbreak and bad memories.... Hahahaha, way too dramatic there. :)

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  00:33:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Aureus

Not sure if any one can give you a complete concept but here's a place to start.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonlance

Of course, the Dlance message boards is a better place to go, which are:

http://www.dragonlanceforums.com/forums/

More importantly, the "Dragonlance Lexicon" (which I've contributed a few entries for) at the DL Nexus, is a worthwhile source for DL lore:- http://www.dlnexus.com/lexicon/

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  07:08:52  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol i agree! i HATE raistlin....and for some reason ALOT of people like him....i think hes a mean arogent little prick...and i really dislike him...haha...but yeah i agree...and ive only to this point read to dragon of summer flame as well...and although they all die for the most part i like the series still...i mean it is sad...and i really felt it when Sturm died...and Tas....not so much flint but that was sad too i guess...lol...yeah...but im still a fan....just a non devoted fan....kinda like a non-practicing catholic...which i am also...i am technically catholic...but dont go to church....haha...i rahter enjoyed that analogy...go me

Unofficial Random Hiatus Taker.
Go to Top of Page

Zimme
Learned Scribe

Denmark
209 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2007 :  20:27:38  Show Profile Send Zimme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Genis

lol i agree! i HATE raistlin....and for some reason ALOT of people like him....i think hes a mean arogent little prick...and i really dislike him...haha...but yeah i agree...and ive only to this point read to dragon of summer flame as well...and although they all die for the most part i like the series still...i mean it is sad...and i really felt it when Sturm died...and Tas....not so much flint but that was sad too i guess...lol...yeah...but im still a fan....just a non devoted fan....kinda like a non-practicing catholic...which i am also...i am technically catholic...but dont go to church....haha...i rahter enjoyed that analogy...go me

Bah... LONG LIVE THE MASTER OF PAST AND PRESENT! infidel! Yeah the mortality and suffering of heroes adds to flavor, making it a greater victory when they finally vaquish evil and saves the world. Actally having to think and weigh consequences, instead of being able to just punch through everything in their way and laugh of it afterwards...

Sometimes I feel like Beshaba is sitting on my back, devoting her entire attention to me!

Rannek.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2007 :  21:12:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe we should leave off with the Raistlin debate, since it's really not pertinent to the topic, nor is this a Dragginglance board (where such a discussion would be relevant).

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2007 :  17:25:08  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I own about 51 DL books and 58 FR. My husband prefers DL, and although I have read all of the ones I own, I prefer FR. I just find the characters more likeable.

I do like the fact that in DL, like RL, the big characters can die.
In FR there seems to be a lot of "as luck would have it..." or "somehow he managed..." and then the character pulls off some amazing feat that most often in RL would leave him a twisted pile of meat. (This may relate to the fact that we like the characters and therefore do not want to see them die.)

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2007 :  17:39:09  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I´m a great fan of Dragonlance, too.
Basically, I buy the FR old grey box in portuguese, and fall in love. Some months later, I buy (from a friend)the Dragonlance boxed set, too, Dlance MC and the War of the Lance trilogy. =)

Today, I have some DLance stuff (and Planescape and Dark Sun, too)

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2007 :  03:33:56  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love both but prefer FR. But I think if Raistlin would have originated in FR, it would have helped it grow bigger faster!

He would be a much better foil for the old sage than Manshoon or Szass.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2007 :  03:53:35  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I disagree in this, regarding Manshoon. Manshoon (as portrayed by Ed) is much more cunning and devious that what we are seeing of him...

And, on the other side of the coin, Raist in FR will not survive that long...
Think about it. To become the Master of Past and Present, he will need to destroy not Fistadantilus, but Larloch. Two rounds with the old lich, and Raist will change from Soulforged to Toyforged.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2007 :  04:31:54  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

I disagree in this, regarding Manshoon. Manshoon (as portrayed by Ed) is much more cunning and devious that what we are seeing of him...

Think about it. To become the Master of Past and Present, he will need to destroy not Fistadantilus, but Larloch. Two rounds with the old lich, and Raist will change from Soulforged to Toyforged.

Good point my friend. But I must humbly disagree on the last point.
Raistlin defeated Fistandantilus despite the fact the he was nowhere close to him in Magical might. Raistlin defeated him by outsmarting him and taking advantage of F's overconfirdence. Seems to me that Larloch has much in common with F.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2007 :  04:48:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

Good point my friend. But I must humbly disagree on the last point.
Raistlin defeated Fistandantilus despite the fact the he was nowhere close to him in Magical might. Raistlin defeated him by outsmarting him and taking advantage of F's overconfirdence. Seems to me that Larloch has much in common with F.

Well, having 60 liches or so under your thumb does tend to make one a bit confident... And besides, I think that if Larloch could be outsmarted that easily, he'd not be in the position he's in -- he'd be another forgotten lich that never amounted to anything.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2007 :  05:23:03  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been a fan of Dragonlance since I read the novels as a teenager. I never played in the setting and haven't really kept up with it, but I enjoyed those novels tremendously. I'll throw out there too that the Chronicles comic adaptation by Devil's Due was quite good IMO.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2007 :  18:02:24  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the 3E DL Campaign Setting...haven't read through it yet or any of the novels I own....what I know is what i've been told from others and reading online info, but I would much like to sink my teeth into it sometime...if ever I get time away from FR, which I usually don't ;)

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Valdar Oakensong
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2007 :  18:29:54  Show Profile Send Valdar Oakensong a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read the Chronicles when they were 1st released back in '84 (yes I am old). I then discovered Dragon, then FR so I have a soft spot for DL cause they got me here. Never played the setting tho.

Guns don't kill people, magic missiles do.
Go to Top of Page

Haman
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2007 :  19:27:17  Show Profile  Visit Haman's Homepage Send Haman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dragonlance was my first real delve into fantasy writing, and I credit it with starting me on the path of gaming. The first 6 books were fantastic (original trilogy, then the twins series). But then I feel DL made some crucial mistakes, just a few being: Allowing anyone that wanted to write a book to write one, which led to a flood of really, REALLY bad DL books, and the first 12 or so modules that came out all centering around the trilogy where your players played the Heroes of the Lance and you had to follow in their footsteps as if shackeled, to save the world just like they did.

Thank Ao the first game I played in was run by a Realms nut and was set in Toril! For all the problems I started seeing with Dragonlance, it seemed the opposite with the Forgotten Realms. The obsession I was building up for gaming turned towards the Realms and has stayed there ever since.

I still feel sentimentality towards DL, and honor it, but I just think they made too many mistakes along the way and have had too many chances to correct it but failed. A game shouldn't be created based off of novels, especially if said novels revolve around saving the world or bringing about huge changes thus denying your characters from doing the same if you wish to use canon material. And it's not like you can just ignore the novels, as it seemed they only detailed lands/creatures/cultures in the sourcebooks, that were in the novels, and rarely anything else.

I still own Tales of the Lance (which WAS decent), the DL hardcover campaign book and the first 20 or so modules, but thats it. Whereas I own every single product for the Realms barring two items (Someday Great Khan game and H3, someday!), so yes I AM biased.

Some people say we gamers have no lives....I think we have too many.
Go to Top of Page

riot the outsider
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2007 :  19:48:25  Show Profile Send riot the outsider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The DL books to me weren't great at all, FR blows them away,But thats fine if you like them. The best fantasy books i've read are the sunset warrior series by Eric van lustbader you should check it out if you like great fantasy.

P.s. the only DL character was caramon.
Also tell me what you think of my suggestion.

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do. http://s13.gladiatus.com/game/c.php?uid=67846

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000