Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Crown Wars
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AryvandarrScion
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2006 :  16:26:42  Show Profile  Visit AryvandarrScion's Homepage Send AryvandarrScion a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have been a DM off and on for about 13 years (a rookie to some) and now I want to run another game. I have not used the elves that much, I have kept them mostly mysterious in their woodland cities. And all of my players enjoyed the element of secrecy about the Elves. I made some slight changes to the elves (but that is for a different thread) and now I want to bring them more prominently into the game.

All of our games for the last 13 years has been set in Faerun, and each new game includes the consequences of all the games before it allowing the PCs to see the results of their hard work throughout the several games we have had. Most of the time they used either the same character (if we wanted a higher level game) or a descendant of one of their characters from several games ago. It was really all well interwoven.

But now onto the point. I have just recently picked up "Lost Empires of Faerun" and realized this is exactly what I needed. But I am a bit stumped on how to slowly introduce such elements in my game. I am most taken with Aryvandaarans, Miyeritarans and the Ilythiri. In this, to be the last we have in Faerun. I want it to be something special and meaningful to end 13 years set in one game world.

And I am at a loss for great idea's to end it all. From here though we will try out Eberron, Exalted and others. But this is one last go at something we all enjoyed.

What have the other races have done if not for we to give it to them?

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2006 :  16:34:21  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...need more input to suggest anything.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2006 :  16:46:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you read the novel Blackstaff? Involving your PCs in Khelben's ritual might be good.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2006 :  16:46:37  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure what to say to this either. You could check Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves for more/the same info but that book has a lot more elven material. Even though it's 2e, there's not much that isn't still usable.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2006 :  17:55:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Not sure what to say to this either. You could check Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves for more/the same info but that book has a lot more elven material. Even though it's 2e, there's not much that isn't still usable.

And it's available for free from the Wizards downloads page.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

AryvandarrScion
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2006 :  18:27:45  Show Profile  Visit AryvandarrScion's Homepage Send AryvandarrScion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I own the actual box set including Age of Nethril. I also have Spelljammer and Council of Wyrms.

But any way. The group is going to be starting around the High Forest and Cormanthor region. Several games ago I introduced an Elven NPC whose name is Cyria Sundawn. She is a historian who lives in an ancient city at the bottom of a lake. But I never really fleshed out all of her knowledge or the city itself. The PCs never actually step foot inside they always came to a site on the shore.

I know this would probably be a good place to start but to make it interesting and old a sense of deep mystery and sadness. The lake is crystal clear and of the purest water. There are many kinds of fish and other sea life. And the city itself appears to have been grown and not made.

Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
575 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2006 :  20:06:07  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This may be a bit off topic, but the thing that struck me most about your post is that this will be your final Faerunian campaign. Why, might I ask, are you ending your tenure in the Forgotten Realms?

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

AryvandarrScion
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2006 :  20:33:36  Show Profile  Visit AryvandarrScion's Homepage Send AryvandarrScion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We have spent 13 years in Faerun. We have had our games spread out over most of it. They walked through the streets of Skuld. They seen the Emerald Palace of the Simbul. They battled the Yuan-Ti in the Serpentes. They have covered a large part of the map and its time for something new, and its time for an end. Faerun is a good setting but without us making serious changes to it, it is just the same ole Faerun.

I have been thinking more about this. The sunken city is actually one of the Fortress Palaces from the era of the crown wars. Protected beneath a lake that is some side effect of a spell used to protect the city. And it holds a good deal of lore about the Elven people and where they came from. This part is where it got alittle tricky. Since we have also played Spelljammer, and its said the elves moved to Faerun some time in the distant past. And they find the over grown ships within.

What threat could remain from the Crown Wars, or how to draw the distant past of the Elves into a game where there has been only one Elf PC who does not speak much. Thats right, in 13 years of gaming I have had only 1 elf PC. I want this to be epic in scope though maybe not epic in levels.

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2006 :  21:42:41  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Threats: daemonfey, demons, drow, dragons, an insane baelnorn... or just power to wipe out an entire nation...something that should not be in the wrong hands.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2006 :  22:27:18  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AryvandarrScion

What threat could remain from the Crown Wars, or how to draw the distant past of the Elves into a game where there has been only one Elf PC who does not speak much. Thats right, in 13 years of gaming I have had only 1 elf PC. I want this to be epic in scope though maybe not epic in levels.

Threats: there's a hook in LEoF about lost sons of Vyshaan clan, also if you're insighted in Last Mythal story, there's also something that is a legacy of Aryvandaar, easily adaptable/convertible

Time travelling adventures are also fun

Another hook (I'm thinking about such a campaign), in short PCs are trying to thwart machinations of a drow organization (supported by Vheraun) who works to find a Pearl of Ka'narlist, item that contains a soul of an ancient dark elf not cursed with the Descent. With it they want to create a ritual that will transform Vheraun followers into dark elves of old, which will leads to restoration of Ilythiir as it should have been one, and the Crown Wars (well more of a silent, assassination type of war against other elves) can start anew

BTW I also had an elven city at the bottom of Highstar Lake, but it was frozen in ''temporal stasis ice'' stuff

Go to Top of Page

turox
Learned Scribe

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2006 :  23:18:56  Show Profile  Visit turox's Homepage Send turox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think George Krashos Raelan created a scroll somewhere here in Candlekeep. Discussing an elf from the crown wars getting returned back to Faerun in 1372. You could just play in Faerun as the party being his guards or something like that.

For the life of me I can't find where that scroll has gone to nor remember what it was called. That could be an interesting twist for your party and could still take place in the Realms.EDIT: Found it! It was posted by Raelan, just had George stuck in my head for some reason. It can be found here The Return of Vyshaan
Just I thought I had and if I don't write it down then who knows where it will go to.

Turox Antas Dragonslayer -
"People will believe anything they want to believe, or fear to believe."
Wizard's First Rule: Chapter 36, Page #397, US Hard Cover (revealed by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander).
Explanation by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander: "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."

Edited by - turox on 02 Dec 2006 00:42:24
Go to Top of Page

AryvandarrScion
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2006 :  23:36:00  Show Profile  Visit AryvandarrScion's Homepage Send AryvandarrScion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Such an item exists? Because that would be awesome to use such a thing. A way to remake the Ilythiiri as a viable sub-species. Hmm but such a threat will probably come within from the sunken city. The powerful magics woven into the city protect it from the ravages of time. Should that shield ever fail the city will suffer the effects of 15,000 years of degeneration at once.

With the magics finally failing Cyria reaches out to them as the cities defenses are failing. Should the Fortress Palace fail the thing that is contained within would be released. And then it would be bad for everyone. The components to restore the city are in the descendants of the Aryvandaarans, the Sun Elves of Evermeet. And being non-elves they must find a way to get to Evermeet to convince the High Mages to help them in turn.

But of course the Drow find out what has happened to the city and move to pounce on its weakened defenses. They where warded from entering the city but now they can gain enterance in small numbers as they seek the lost treasures of all the elven sub-species. After 13 years of DMing Im finding my final game to be the hardest.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2006 :  00:25:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

The associated Fall of Myth Drannor may also prove somewhat useful, since it is an adventure module.

'Tis also available for free at the same site Wooly indicated above.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2006 :  18:20:58  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AryvandarrScion

Such an item exists?

It's a possibility, the hook is from Evermeet novel

Go to Top of Page

Conlon
Learned Scribe

Canada
132 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2006 :  23:06:13  Show Profile  Visit Conlon's Homepage Send Conlon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you are looking for something epic in scope, you may also wish to read the Last Mythal series and have your players become involved in that adventure.

My hopes are ashes, my dreams are dust. All my intentions mean nothing unless they are followed by action.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000