Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 [Adventure Seed] The Return of Vyshaan
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Raelan
Acolyte

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2006 :  16:28:57  Show Profile  Visit Raelan's Homepage Send Raelan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings, all.

A few years ago, I was musing about the Crown Wars when an errant thought struck me, resulting in this little adventure idea for the modern Realms. I hope you like it.

The Return of Vyshaan

The Setup:

Corraelos Vyshaan was the fourth son of the Coronal of Aryvandaar during the years following the Dark Disaster. A wastrel lacking in any ambition aside from pursuing his own comfort and idle amusement, he was nonetheless an effective warrior and mage. While his lack of drive and dandy-ish status made him unsuitable for inclusion in any of the Vyshaanti plans, the Coronal nonetheless doted on his son. Corraelos was the only member of the family not involved in the various machinations being perpetrated by the Vyshaantar Empire, and, as such, was the one person the aging Coronal could talk to when he needed to get away for a while.

On his two-hundredth Naming day, Corraelos was out riding amongst the boughs of the southern High Forest with his retainers. It was, perhaps, the most pleasant day in living elf memory: it was early summer, warm but not hot, the sky was clear aside from a few fluffy white clouds, a cool breeze was stirring the leaves, and sunlight broke through the canopy in shafts to dapple the forest floor. Even more, the Crown Wars were, for the moment, over, and peace reigned amongst the various elf nations.

As Corraelos expounded on the beauty of the day, one of the court wizards rode to the fore of the band to present him with a Naming gift from his father: an exquisite mithral and emerald ring engraved with elder runes. He accepted it with delight and placed it on his finger, saying, “Now the day is perfect! I wish it would never end!”

As the first words of the second sentence left Corraelos’ lips, the court wizard’s eyes grew very wide and he opened his mouth to shout, “No!” but it was too late. The world whirled away as a wash of emerald light exploded from the ring.

The PCs:

It is 1374 Dalereckoning, and the PCs are traveling in the southern High Forest on a day not at all unlike the one experienced by Corraelos and his retainers some eleven millennia ago. They are following the banks of a stream as it passes through a small clearing, when suddenly the world explodes in eldritch light. They can almost feel the boundaries between worlds tearing, then there is a “POP!” audible only in their heads as reality snaps back to normal. It is at this point that they find themselves standing less than twenty feet away from six sun elves in archaic armor and dress.

The Details:

Corraelos’ casual statement eleven millennia ago unwittingly activated the ring of three wishes he had just placed on his finger. While stopping time itself on a long-term basis was beyond the power of the spell, the ring did attempt to fulfill the elf lord’s wish as fully as possible. It placed him and those elves nearest him into stasis in an unreachable pocket dimension until such time as the physical characteristics of the day were duplicated exactly. Now, more than one hundred centuries in the future, that day has come again and the last scion of Vyshaan walks the world once more.

The Encounter:

Corraelos and his retainers suddenly find themselves standing within bowshot of intruders to the elven woods. Moreover, most of them are (probably) humans. At the time of Corraelos’ unintentional blunder, human society consisted of little more than scattered tribes of hunter/gatherers, so this intrusion by the Hairy Ones is most unwelcome. Even more of a shock, these humans dare to dress and arm themselves like elves – in fact, they probably stole their gear from elven travelers!

Being a proper civilized and dignified sun elf, Corraelos will likely order the PCs to lay down their weapons and surrender to the Vyshaantar Empire instead of slaying them outright, despite his outrage at the situation. However, there is a catch: even if any of the characters speak elven, the dialect is so old that it will require a DC 12 Intelligence check to make sense of what he is saying.

From here, what happens is up to the PCs and the DM. In terms of outlook, Corraelos is a stereotypical gold elf - in fact, even moreso. He is haughty, arrogant and convinced of elven superiority and the primacy of sun elves in particular.

At this point, it is important to note that any elves amongst the PCs will know enough about the Crown Wars to recognize the Vyshaan name. “Vyshaan” has become a curse and an epithet in the millennia since the Crown Wars due to that clan’s misdeeds, so this has the potential to become an even more explosive situation.

If it comes down to combat, the PCs will be up against:

Corraelos Vyshaan (CN sun elf male wizard/fighter/eldritch knight), a high level warrior-mage with a decent grasp of combat and tactics, though most of his experience has been on monster hunts undertaken for sport, and not against other sentient humanoids.

Eldaspiir Cormaleth (LN sun elf male wizard/archmage), one of the court mages of Aryvandaar. He has a full roster of combat and protective magics as befits his status as a protector of the Vyshaan family. In a sufficiently high level game, he will likely have a few levels in the High Mage prestige class as well (see Races of Faerûn).

Four members of the Vyshaanti Imperial Guard (LN sun elf male and female fighters). These are mid- or high- level fighters whose sole duty is to protect their ward.

Further Play:

If the players manage to successfully avoid a confrontation with the Vyshaanti elves, they will have an opportunity to talk with them. This will also be the case if the players defeat Corraelos and his retainers but do not kill them.

If the PCs can convince Corraelos and Eldaspiir that eleven-thousand years have, indeed, passed and that Aryvandaar is dead and gone, the elves will be shocked. More than that, they will be appalled and disheartened when they discover that the days of elven power in Faerûn have long since passed and that humanity now dominates much of the continent. They may wish to reclaim the former glories of the elves and start a new elven nation upon Faerûn, or they may simply wish to travel the Realms for a while and learn about the changes that have come about in the intervening millennia.

Corraelos, in particular, will likely be interested in re-establishing a major elven presence on Faerûn; after all, isn’t he, the last scion of Aryvandaar, the rightful ruler of the High Forest?

Of course, with typical gold elven arrogance, he doesn’t realize that he lacks any knowledge of how to rule properly, how to go about setting up a nation, or even to inspire his followers. As an elven version of a dandy nobleman only interested in hunts, galas, and self-gratification, Corraelos has little real-world knowledge. All of his needs were always provided for, and he has no concept of how to earn money or support himself; intellectually, he knew that other elves had to work to survive, but he never payed attention to the details of how they went about it since it was not needful for him to do so.

At this point, it is up to the PCs if they want to help these elves acclimate themselves to their circumstances or not, and if they want to step in to prevent missteps and blunders by the naive Corraelos.

It is important to note that, among the elves, the Vyshaan are a touchy subject. While most elves revile them for the destruction they caused, many gold elves cannot help but think that the rulers of Aryvandaar got it at least partly right. The reintroduction of a Vyshaan heir into the Realms could spark off a new conflict between the elven subraces, one the elves are much less prepared to deal with than they were of old due to dwindling numbers. If the Crown Wars come again, it could spell the doom of the elven race….

As an additional note, following the Dark Disaster, even the callous Vyshaan Coronal realized that the same treachery he visited upon Miyeritar could be turned upon Aryvandaar. Because of this, he ordered one of the greatest and noblest Aryvandaaran cities to be sent away from Toril and locked in stasis, much the same way that, centuries later, the elves of Siluvanede would hide Myth Adofhaer. This was achieved, and the work of High Magic was barely two months old when Corraelos unintentionally activated the magic of his ring.

This is important for one very simple reason. The spell of High Magic holding the Aryvandaaran city in stasis will end under two circumstances: two centuries after the last living elf on Faerûn perishes, or upon completion of a magical ritual to return it to the Realms. Corraelos, having been present for the initial casting, is the only living being who knows the spell to bring back the last city of Aryvandaar, and the consequences for the Realms could be dire if he uses it thoughtlessly.

"I am convinced that one of these days I will be able to run a regular game that doesn't fall apart due to scheduling conflicts. I am also convinced that, on this day, hell will freeze over."

Edited by - Raelan on 22 Sep 2006 16:53:14

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2006 :  16:48:24  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the idea

...moreso the potential of Corraelos's chaotic neutral alignment could slip eithor way...good or evil...

I don't think that he could or would stay "a wastrel lacking in any ambition aside from pursuing his own comfort and idle amusement" and "an elven version of a dandy nobleman only interested in hunts, galas, and self-gratification" after his return to the present time...he has lost about everything a sentient could lose...even his own "good" name (as vyshaan is about the only inslut to a surface elf worse than being called a drow)

in the long run he eithor grows up and becomes responsible, probably trying to clear his family name and redeem the fall of his people (the gold elves of Aryvandaar) or he goes the way of the Eldreth Veluuthra and blames everyone else for history's path and focuses on and the humans that "now dominates much of the continent"

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Raelan
Acolyte

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2006 :  16:58:26  Show Profile  Visit Raelan's Homepage Send Raelan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You hit the nail squarely on the head. That was one of the reasons I liked this idea enough to post it. Simply put, this situation could go in one of any of a thousand different directions due to Corraelos' alignment and circumstances, and the players will have a chance to help shape the course of his developement and, perhaps, the future of the elven race.

"I am convinced that one of these days I will be able to run a regular game that doesn't fall apart due to scheduling conflicts. I am also convinced that, on this day, hell will freeze over."
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2006 :  19:13:15  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love this idea, but I have some questions about it's effect on the "average" FR campaign. Before I express my concerns, however, let me say that this is an excellent concept and its well thought out. I feel that it's a wonderful way to twist FR history, yet perfectly logical and very workable given the assumptions of the setting and the current game rules.

Assuming that the PC's aren't either killed or forced into killing Corraelos by his attempt to capture them (which would depend a lot on the level and power of the PC's) then I would be seriously worried about Corraelos becomming a pawn of one of the FR power groups. He doesn't sound like his will is strong enough to stand on his own.

The most logical (and dangerous) group would be the Eldreth Veluuthra. Thier racist agenda is right up Corraelos's alley, and they'd love to have the legitimacy that an ancient heir to Aryvandaar would give them.

Less dangerous (but more complex and twisted) would be for Corraelos to come under the influence of the Queen and Nobles of Evermeet. There is a lot of infighting amung this group and the debate about what to do with Corraelos would be fun to watch/run.

Unfortunatly, I don't see how most multi-race PC groups's could really have a significant role in a campaign based around Corraelos. Even if the PC's presence was actually responsible for releasing him (rather than just a coincidence) I doubt he'd feel any debt to the PC's or include them in any of his plans. Most Gold Elves of his time just weren't that thoughtful. Or are you assuming that the PC's would oppose Corraelos's plans?

The High Forest has no significant human settlements, so his plans wouldn't really effect most non-elves. And Corraelos's presence in modern Faerun isn't likely to be as earth-shattering as the City of Shade or the Rage of Dragons. If it's a power struggle among the elves, most humans and other races will be excluded from it due to lack of knowledge. Those NPC's who have world spanning influence might become involved, but that's not most PC adventurers. How do you see this event playing out for the PC's who see his release?

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Raelan
Acolyte

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2006 :  20:04:29  Show Profile  Visit Raelan's Homepage Send Raelan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Halidan

Assuming that the PC's aren't either killed or forced into killing Corraelos by his attempt to capture them (which would depend a lot on the level and power of the PC's) then I would be seriously worried about Corraelos becomming a pawn of one of the FR power groups. He doesn't sound like his will is strong enough to stand on his own.

He's actually got a rather strong will; much like any spoiled nobleman, he wants what he wants when he wants it and will not accept excuses. What he lacks is worldliness, which could result in him unwittingly becoming the pawn of some greater power as you've just stated.

quote:
The most logical (and dangerous) group would be the Eldreth Veluuthra. Thier racist agenda is right up Corraelos's alley, and they'd love to have the legitimacy that an ancient heir to Aryvandaar would give them.

My thoughts exactly. In fact, the Eldreth Veluuthra were one of the plot ideas I had in mind for further play if I ever get to run this myself. I can also see the Harpers getting involved, as well as agents of the Moonstars and the Silver Marches.

quote:
Less dangerous (but more complex and twisted) would be for Corraelos to come under the influence of the Queen and Nobles of Evermeet. There is a lot of infighting amung this group and the debate about what to do with Corraelos would be fun to watch/run.

You just gave me a very evil thought: what if the gold elven nobility of Evermeet attempted to force Amlaruil to remarry and have more offspring to secure the royal line...and put forth Corraelos as their choice for the new king/prince consort?

-ponders-

quote:
Unfortunatly, I don't see how most multi-race PC groups's could really have a significant role in a campaign based around Corraelos. Even if the PC's presence was actually responsible for releasing him (rather than just a coincidence) I doubt he'd feel any debt to the PC's or include them in any of his plans. Most Gold Elves of his time just weren't that thoughtful. Or are you assuming that the PC's would oppose Corraelos's plans?

I see several directions for it to go from here. First, Corraelos needs a guide to find his way in his new situation, at least for a little while. He's not actively evil, just spoiled and convinced of his own righteousness, and the PCs are the only modern sentients at hand to do it. Even if he were unlikely to accept this himself, Eldaspiir would swiftly convince him otherwise by pointing out that, simply, they really don't have anyone else to guide them.

From here on, it becomes a matter of the willingness of the PCs to aid six elves stranded in a time not their own. As the PCs are, supposedly, heroes, this should be an easy decision on their part.

But what happens once they reach civilization and Corraelos can find others to help him? Well, that's up to the players. If there's an elf in the group, he'll likely know enough about the Vyshaanti that he'll want to keep tabs on him and prevent a new outbreak of the Crown Wars or any similar foolishness. Even if there aren't any elves in the party, it should be possible to drop enough hints through conversation, divination spells, old histories, and the like to get the PCs to want to stay involved in the situation. The manner of their involvement, however, depends on the choices made by the players and the whim of the DM.

quote:
The High Forest has no significant human settlements, so his plans wouldn't really effect most non-elves. And Corraelos's presence in modern Faerun isn't likely to be as earth-shattering as the City of Shade or the Rage of Dragons.

Well, not unless Corraelos calls back a city of the Vyshaantar Empire at the height of its arrogance and power... Of course, the PCs may have something to say about that.

quote:
If it's a power struggle among the elves, most humans and other races will be excluded from it due to lack of knowledge. Those NPC's who have world spanning influence might become involved, but that's not most PC adventurers. How do you see this event playing out for the PC's who see his release?

Well, since the PCs are in on the ground floor, so to speak, it makes it more difficult for the elves to exclude them, especially if the PCs are "insistent" about it. They will already know the basics of what is going on, and Corraelos and his elven companions from Aryvandaar won't initially know enough about their new world or how the Vyshaan are perceived to know to guard their tongues. Hence, they are likely to let slip a lot of information that, if they had more knowledge of their situation, would normally be kept secret.

As for what happens, it's really all about the PCs and how they choose to handle it. Will they perceive Corraelos as a threat to the Realms and kill him? Will they become his companions and try to help him see the light through word and deed? Will they covertly spy on him and those he associates with, ready to intervene if they become a threat? Will they approach other elves and give warning that a Vyshaan heir walks Faerûn once more?

That's the thing about this type of plot - it all centers around how the PCs react to the situation at hand.

Let me take a second to go off on a rant that may or may not apply to any of the readers of this board:

In my opinion, centering the events around player choice is also the core element for all successful high-level games. If there's one thing I've learned over the years, linear adventures don't, generally, work at high levels. The players have powerful characters and want to make their own decisions, and they want their decisions to have an effect on the Realms. The effect doesn't have to be wide-scale and massive, it just has to be there.

Without immersion, high level games generally fail, and players take on the stance of "I'm uber level - I can do anything I want without consequences", then scream at the DM when their actions result in assassins, paladins, bounty hunters, and the like attacking them at every turn. When the players are immersed in the world and can see the effects of the choices they make, they are much more circumspect in their actions, and it usually leads to a better story and more fun for everyone.

All of this advice can also be applied to low-level games, as well, but I find it's absolutely vital for high-level play.

Okay, um...where was I?

Um...yeah. Player choice; it's all up to the players how this one turns out. Try to anticipate what they might do and have something prepared down all of the avenues they might explore, but also be prepared to wing it. If you compile a list of interested parties beforehand (Eldreth Veluuthra, Harpers, Moonstars, Dlardrageths, individual gold elf nobles houses such as Durothil, etc.), it will help you adjust on the fly, picking whichever best fits into the direction the PCs are steering the game.

My best advice to you is simply this: Corraelos' growth or lack thereof should be a direct result of the PCs actions. If they stand by and let various sun elf nobles fawn over him, then by all means let him slide more and more into intolerance and evil. If they stay with him and try to guide him away from such actions, then have him begin to understand the error of his ways and seek change (after a period of initial conflict, of course!). If they stand back and only act when needed, then leave his alignment chaotic neutral and have him continue to act selfishly, but not with outright malice. You're running the show, but the PCs are the stars. :)

This long-winded reply that probably could've been expressed in three sentences or less has been brought to you by my crash from a caffeine high.

Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2006 :  20:04:50  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some nice observations Halidan, here is my input (and sorry if it sounds like a rant):

quote:

That is what the PCs would be there for

quote:
Unfortunatly, I don't see how most multi-race PC groups's could really have a significant role in a campaign based around Corraelos.

Actually I think that a multi-race PC groups could have a radical effect on Corraelos, his view of the world and his future in the world, as he matured quickly "in the real world"

quote:

The High Forest has no significant human settlements, so his plans wouldn't really effect most non-elves. And Corraelos's presence in modern Faerun isn't likely to be as earth-shattering as the City of Shade or the Rage of Dragons. If it's a power struggle among the elves, most humans and other races will be excluded from it due to lack of knowledge. Those NPC's who have world spanning influence might become involved, but that's not most PC adventurers. How do you see this event playing out for the PC's who see his release?

So basically you see Corraelos becoming yet another arrogant, selfish, blind gold elf villan and that even if he “went good” it wouldn’t really matter? And the only real use the story line has is to give the PCs another villain to be thrown against and that they couldn’t actually make a difference to Corraelos anyways?

I knew Raelan’s story this would probably get this kind of reaction...

And I’m not trying to be confrontational...the questions I have for your post are the same I have for most ideas I’ve seen and read for the Realms since the inception of the “Darker Forgotten realms 3E” ...“Doesn’t the Realms have enough bad guys yet?”, “Why can’t Good actually get a clean break in the Realms” and “Couldn’t someone actually win in a story?”

Why does Corraelos have to go evil? Why does he have to be another stereotypical arrogant, ignorant (i.e. stupid) gold elf...he was when he was a spoiled prince...but now 11,000 years have past, everything he had, knew and believed is gone or history has shown it was wrong and/or ignorant and foolish. What an unique opportunity for a royal gold elf to actually witness the actual repercussions of gold elf arrogance? Why couldn’t Corraelos have an epiphany and realize he has to grow up and take the opprotunity presented to him...to redeem some of the sins committed by his family and the elven race? And what about all the other Aryvandor gold elves that came with him? Wouldn’t/couldn’t at least a few of them actually grow in character with Corraelos?

Imagine Corraelos struggling under the burden of his family’s legacy to found a new elven realm in the ashes of Aryvandor...even (and maybe especially) his own people trying to stop him...Imagine Corraelos making contact with the good drow worshippers of Eilestrae to found a realm where all elves are equal and welcome...

There was a thread about Corellon’s Plan...imagine Corraelos’s release was the first key of Corellon’s reconciliation of the elven race...especially there is a capital Aryvandor city in stasis waiting for him (a city usually depicted as another threat to the Realms)

And imagine with all this potential your roleplayer’s character party in the center of this teaching and supporting Corraelos all the way...

I loved this idea because not only does it have the typical dark feel to it, another “Return of Shade” or “Return of the Fey’ri” feel to it but it could also go the other way and become an almost exalted storyline that will bring another (rare) force of good into the Realms (at least at a local level)

OK..semi-rant done...

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

Raelan
Acolyte

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2006 :  20:10:58  Show Profile  Visit Raelan's Homepage Send Raelan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Actually I think that a multi-race PC groups could have a radical effect on Corraelos, his view of the world and his future in the world, as he matured quickly "in the real world"

AGH! That was one of the things I was trying to say with my long-winded reply, but you said it better.

Edited by - Raelan on 22 Sep 2006 20:12:08
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2006 :  20:12:55  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Raelan
Well, since the PCs are in on the ground floor, so to speak, it makes it more difficult for the elves to exclude them, especially if the PCs are "insistent" about it. They will already know the basics of what is going on, and Corraelos and his elven companions from Aryvandaar won't initially know enough about their new world or how the Vyshaan are perceived to know to guard their tongues. Hence, they are likely to let slip a lot of information that, if they had more knowledge of their situation, would normally be kept secret.

As for what happens, it's really all about the PCs and how they choose to handle it. Will they perceive Corraelos as a threat to the Realms and kill him? Will they become his companions and try to help him see the light through word and deed? Will they covertly spy on him and those he associates with, ready to intervene if they become a threat? Will they approach other elves and give warning that a Vyshaan heir walks Faerûn once more?

That's the thing about this type of plot - it all centers around how the PCs react to the situation at hand.

My best advice to you is simply this: Corraelos' growth or lack thereof should be a direct result of the PCs actions. If they stand by and let various sun elf nobles fawn over him, then by all means let him slide more and more into intolerance and evil. If they stay with him and try to guide him away from such actions, then have him begin to understand the error of his ways and seek change (after a period of initial conflict, of course!). If they stand back and only act when needed, then leave his alignment chaotic neutral and have him continue to act selfishly, but not with outright malice. You're running the show, but the PCs are the stars. :)

My point exactly...it should be up to the players

quote:
Originally posted by Raelan

...You just gave me a very evil thought: what if the gold elven nobility of Evermeet attempted to force Amlaruil to remarry and have more offspring to secure the royal line...and put forth Corraelos as their choice for the new king/prince consort?...

...Well, not unless Corraelos calls back a city of the Vyshaantar Empire at the height of its arrogance and power... Of course, the PCs may have something to say about that....

Here we go with the "dark" and “evil” again can't anyone actually thiunk of a story that will end up happy and uplifting

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

Raelan
Acolyte

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2006 :  20:16:18  Show Profile  Visit Raelan's Homepage Send Raelan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Here we go with the "dark" and “evil” again can't anyone actually thiunk of a story that will end up happy and uplifting

-grins-

In regards to the plot to insert Corraelos as Amlaruil's husband, I never said it was Corraelos' plan, now, did I? [insert evil grin here] Corraelos, if he knew about it, may very well want no part of it. In fact, if the PCs have done enough to turn him from the dark ways of the past, he may very well actively oppose any such plot.

In regards to releasing the Aryvandaaran city without first setting plans in place to make sure it wasn't the spark that sets off another wave of the Crown Wars, that was a "worst case" scenario, one that would happen if the PCs allowed Corraelos to slide into evil. It's also possible that, with sufficient preparation by modern elves, the Vyshaanti within the city could be released and redeemed, though it would require significant effort. This period would also be another chance for the PCs to shine as they head off plots left and right while Corraelos tries to turn the reawakened elves of of the lost city from the evil ways of the past.

Edited by - Raelan on 22 Sep 2006 20:21:09
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2006 :  20:27:42  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i want to read this more deeply but i have to go to work really soon so ill just give a couple of ideas taht i thought of while reading this.

- the son doesnt necessarily haev to be ignorant to the war etc in order to be arrogant enough to miswish. he could just be really vain and speak before being taught the power of the ring (as he is rich adn used to such treasures beign bestowed upon him)
- the conditions for release or the mechanics of the stasis could be different. if the archmage who is trapped with the lord has access to his magic a reason he could hvae for not undoing the spell is that the two fight each other. this could have varying results one possibly being that the lord uses the wishes from the ring to slay the wizard trying to grab the ring adn undo the magic. since he has no magic left he is stuck in a paradise realm parralel to the real high forest. eventually as centuries pass and his arcane skill improives, he could grow so enamoured with the world that he chooses not to leave etc. /
or if the mage is not trapped alongside the lord he could be killed in upcoming conflict thus unable to fully investigate what exactly occured.
-the wilderness where the elves met might not have remained prisitine over the millenia. coincidentally settlements could have risen annd fallen in between thus making the landscape radically different for him if he returns.
/ or his magical energies could have acted as some sort fo mystic wayline in terms of vyshaanti power and now his descendants have built the secret caches adn fortresses in this location... now in ruins those caches can be involved in on going plots... and incorporated intoa grander campaign.

will post more

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2006 :  00:42:46  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Note that your 'typical' Aryvandaarian Sun Elf was not in fact all that different from a 'normal' elf, not having been corrupted by Malkizid's efforts as the Vyshaanti were.

Just how much did Corraelos know of his family's corruption, anyway?

As to the Amlaruil bit? The vast majority of Elven Nobles, Gold included, accept Amlaruil as their queen and love her for embodying many Elven traits. And, perhaps most importantly, having been single-handedly chosen as the Queen by Elven High Magic (via the Moonblade; Gold Elves always love some High Magic!) and by the Seldarine themselves (being their Chosen).

I really could not see the nobility trying to "force" the Queen to do something like this, and nor could I see Amlaruil wanting to do it willingly. If anything, if Corraelos IS indeed part of Corellon's Plan (tm - but not by me), it would be very interesting to have him actually take over as the Royal King of the Elves, when Amlaruil finally is allowed to pass on to dwell with her children and Zaor.

Now THAT would be something I'd love to read. A new Sun Elf King established on Evermeet, the Gold Elves' traditional homeland; a transformation of a single young elf with massive responsibility on his shoulders, being hounded from all sides by supporters or naysayers or manipulators, forging his own fate in the shadow of his forebears, and eventually coming to represent all of the good, shining aspects of what it means to be a Gold Elf, which are all too-often overlooked.

Yes, Corellon forging, over thousands of years, Corraelos, to be the King...

... Or maybe I'm just thinking of novel/story/character ideas myself, here... Hm.

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD

Edited by - GothicDan on 23 Sep 2006 00:44:36
Go to Top of Page

Raelan
Acolyte

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2006 :  21:28:22  Show Profile  Visit Raelan's Homepage Send Raelan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

Note that your 'typical' Aryvandaarian Sun Elf was not in fact all that different from a 'normal' elf, not having been corrupted by Malkizid's efforts as the Vyshaanti were.

Very true. It was just the leadership that was corrupt. That said, the leaders of the Aryvandaaran city locked in stasis would have numbered among them those who were part of the Vyshaan plots - after all, the Coronal wanted to preserve what he saw as the best parts of Vyshaanti society.

quote:

As it turns out, very little. When he turned out to be unsuitable for inclusion in their plots, the Coronal would have made sure to keep Corraelos completely in the dark to avoid any risk that someone could pry Vyshaanti secrets out of him.

quote:
stuff about the gold elven nobility of Evermeet not forcing Amlaruil to remarry

You could be right.

However, I believe there is enough evidence in canon works to support the possibility of this happening under the right circumstances. If you've read Elaine Cunningham's Evermeet: Island of Elves, you'll recall that Zaor was forced to marry a member of House Amarillis against his wishes in order to secure the throne. Likewise, you'll find direct opposition to Amlaruil's wishes by the gold elf noble houses in the Last Mythal trilogy by Richard Baker (side note: there were also examples of true nobility by some of the gold elves in that series, so it wasn't all one-sided "sun elves are intolerant and selfish").

quote:
Now THAT would be something I'd love to read. A new Sun Elf King established on Evermeet, the Gold Elves' traditional homeland; a transformation of a single young elf with massive responsibility on his shoulders, being hounded from all sides by supporters or naysayers or manipulators, forging his own fate in the shadow of his forebears, and eventually coming to represent all of the good, shining aspects of what it means to be a Gold Elf, which are all too-often overlooked.

That definitely sounds novel-worthy.

Edited by - Raelan on 30 Sep 2006 21:29:25
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2006 :  04:40:52  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ive been thinking alot about how i would do this prince character and i am going to post him later maybe. unless it would be a problem for u raelen.

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Raelan
Acolyte

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2006 :  08:21:59  Show Profile  Visit Raelan's Homepage Send Raelan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beirnadri Magranth

ive been thinking alot about how i would do this prince character and i am going to post him later maybe. unless it would be a problem for u raelen.

Feel free. I deliberately left his game info vague so as to give individual DMs lots of leeway to work with in adjusting him to fit their campaigns. I look forward to your interpretation. :)

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2006 :  08:52:35  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually the Eldrenth Veluuthra probably wouldnt be attracted to an heir to Aryvandaar from memory Aryvandaar was a Xenophobic Gold elf supremcist kingdom. Eldrenth Veluuthra is made up of all the elven sub races (bar drow) and even an evil wood/Moon/wild elf is not going to be happy with an heir to Aryvandaar who thinks gold elfs should rule over everyone including other "inferior" Wood/moon/wild elves

Kymil Nimesin on the other hand would very interested in allying with a heir to Aryvandaar......

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2006 :  03:03:58  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that Dargoth has a point. We have no real evidence of the Aryvandaari being negatively involved with humanity, since it hadn't even really arisen to any prominence at that time. It was (primarily) the Dark Elves that the Aryvandaari hated.

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2006 :  04:42:42  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well i cant imagine them respecting the humans any more than their own bretheren. I mean i also think that there might be some conflict of agendas between EV and Aryvandaar (if the two could even be examined together).... but i really doubt their lack of a stance on humanity being a sign that they favored them more than their own "less civilized" fellow-quessir.

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2006 :  14:02:37  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:

Actually the Eldrenth Veluuthra probably wouldnt be attracted to an heir to Aryvandaar from memory Aryvandaar was a Xenophobic Gold elf supremcist kingdom. Eldrenth Veluuthra is made up of all the elven sub races (bar drow) and even an evil wood/Moon/wild elf is not going to be happy with an heir to Aryvandaar who thinks gold elfs should rule over everyone including other "inferior" Wood/moon/wild elves

Kymil Nimesin on the other hand would very interested in allying with a heir to Aryvandaar......

quote:

I think that Dargoth has a point. We have no real evidence of the Aryvandaari being negatively involved with humanity, since it hadn't even really arisen to any prominence at that time. It was (primarily) the Dark Elves that the Aryvandaari hated.

IMO that is not Dargoth’s point...his point is that not only are the Eldrenth Veluuthra
a racist, supremacist terrorist group but they also think of themselves as the protectors and saviors of the whole elven race...and the membership of the Eldrenth Veluuthra is composed of all the elven sub-species

Dargoth’s point is that the Vyshaan were and Aryvandaar was a Xenophobic Gold elf supremacist kingdom not just the ruler, not his family, the whole kingdom thus the non-gold elf members (and the sane gold elf members) of the Eldrenth Veluuthra would not have a favorable position about the uber-racist gold elves of Aryvandaar

quote:

We have no real evidence of the Aryvandaari being negatively involved with humanity, since it hadn't even really arisen to any prominence at that time. It was (primarily) the Dark Elves that the Aryvandaari hated.

“no real evidence of the Aryvandaari being negatively involved with humanity”

The implications being that there is no proof that an Aryvandaari really would not have had a problem with humanity...

The noble Aryvandaarans were a bunch racist, supremacist, xenophobic bigots that assaulted, abused and suppressed their own people I'm sure they would have treated any non-elf even more poorly, if they choose to even acknowledge them. Even today many gold elves in the present “won’t even deign to speak to a human and would rather leave a dying manto meet his fate than to save him” (Races of Faerun, chapter 2 Elves, sun elves, p. 42 under Relations with Other Races)

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Edited by - Kalin Agrivar on 02 Oct 2006 17:55:43
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2006 :  15:23:34  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As to the Amlaruil bit? The vast majority of Elven Nobles, Gold included, accept Amlaruil as their queen and love her for embodying many Elven traits. And, perhaps most importantly, having been single-handedly chosen as the Queen by Elven High Magic (via the Moonblade; Gold Elves always love some High Magic!) and by the Seldarine themselves (being their Chosen).

I really could not see the nobility trying to "force" the Queen to do something like this, and nor could I see Amlaruil wanting to do it willingly. If anything, if Corraelos IS indeed part of Corellon's Plan (tm - but not by me), it would be very interesting to have him actually take over as the Royal King of the Elves, when Amlaruil finally is allowed to pass on to dwell with her children and Zaor.

... Or maybe I'm just thinking of novel/story/character ideas myself, here... Hm.

quote:
A new Sun Elf King established on Evermeet, the Gold Elves' traditional homeland

I thought Evermeet was created for all of the elf races

quote:
..eventually coming to represent all of the good, shining aspects of what it means to be a Gold Elf, which are all too-often overlooked

I also agree that the sun elves are not naturally disposed to evil but no matter how much you want to deny the facts the sun elves are racially (meaning the majority of them) elitist and condescending at best and overwhelming short-sighted...if there is one race that does not learn from their mistakes and face their short comings (considering they are the longest living elf race) it is the sun elves, "the paradigm of the elven races".

That is why a moon elf was chosen to rule Evermeet and not a sun elf...their faults can lead them into darkness more than any other non-drow elven race...there is always the risk that Evermeet ruled by a sun elf would end just as Aryvandor did, just as Myth Drannor did...and practically Evermeet is finished too...also due to sun elf hubris. It was the logical and only choice of the elven powers to choose the moon elves to rule Evermeet...they are the only elf species that is welcoming and open to all other elf species and have a viewpoint where they can learn from their mistakes and govern the future of the elves.

And the sun elves dominate Evermeet not because it is “the Gold Elves' traditional homeland” but because the gold elves fled there due to the fact they could not adapt to the changing world of the present, compared to the green and silver elf races. I remember in the Evermeet novel that the Island wasn’t even populated by the sun elves until during and after the Crown Wars...it was the green elves that were “always there”

I surmise if there was a Sun Elf ruler on the throne of Evermeet within a century there would be civil war as either (less likely) the sun elf king would revert to the “evil” sun elf mentality and become not much more than a racial despot or (more likely) the sun elf ruler would be impartial, just and fair to all the elf races and the arrogant elder sun elf houses would condemn the sun elf ruler as weak, inept or corrupted and would try to place one of their own on the throne...and Evermeet ending as Myth Drannor did...sun elves going mad in their pride and arrogance and ruining it for all...

Cormanthyr: Empire of Elves p. 23

quote:
The Fifth Crown War also cancelled the growing monarchial structure in Evermeet, since the Vyshaan managed to send word of the fall of their empire via High Magic. In order to keep the chaos of the Wars off Evermeet's shores, those closest to the Vyshaan powers eithor left to join their comrades or abandoned them to their fates. The Houses soon shared power in a Ruling Council similar to that of the Elven Court. While happy to be spared the bloodshed of the Mainland Crown War, the gold elves secretly bridled under the ignominy of having to share their positions with "lesser elves"

so to me it looked like the Sun Elves did briefly rule Evermeet until the Elven Court forced the gold elf houses to give up their ruling power to the council of (all) elven houses to preserve peace in Evermeet...until the powers choose their moon elf king

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Edited by - Kalin Agrivar on 02 Oct 2006 17:59:49
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2006 :  17:10:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keep it civil, folks. I see the potential for this thread to head in a bad direction...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2006 :  17:21:42  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really was offended by the tone of your last two posts on this thread, Kalin. I do agree with you that Aryvandaaran elves wouldn't accept humans and that their homeland isn't Evermeet but I really think its unhelpful to be so harsh.

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2006 :  17:37:45  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry Beirnadi and especially to Dan, and anyone else offended...I'm having a really off day and I know I was out of line

I really dislike the "sun elf" debate that usually developes on the board...it usually is filled more by personal opinion that hard facts and logic so I try awefully to avoid these discussions...but the last few posts really made no sense to me and I went off...I should have tried to keep it neutral

I'll delete to posts if that is Candlekeeps consensus

I appologize again

Kalin

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2006 :  17:48:18  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd edit them or remove them because they are a bit out of line.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2006 :  18:05:14  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I'd edit them or remove them because they are a bit out of line.

there, I fixed them, sorry again...

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2006 :  18:12:26  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks Kalin

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Raelan
Acolyte

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2009 :  07:25:34  Show Profile  Visit Raelan's Homepage Send Raelan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow...I just realized it's been two and a half years since I posted this. Did anyone ever use this adventure seed in their game? If so, tell me about it - I'd be extremely interested in reading about how it went.

Go to Top of Page

Neil Bishop
Learned Scribe

Singapore
100 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2010 :  13:07:09  Show Profile  Visit Neil Bishop's Homepage Send Neil Bishop a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Raelan... I haven't used this yet but I'm researching the Vyshaan and think this could happen in one of my games. Thanks for posting it!

Regards
NXB
Go to Top of Page

thebaron
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  04:27:19  Show Profile  Visit thebaron's Homepage Send thebaron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quick thought I had on this idea would be the effect of the Elven Courts first proclamation on the Aryvandaar rulership with modern elves, which stripped the clan of their nobility for their actions.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2387 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  10:43:28  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The idea has a merit, but using wish for the disappearance part, while acceptable, smells of ex-machina. Not when there are various forms of imprisonment and stasis magic (e.g. how Elminster was turned into a big dust catcher while Myth Drannor was overrun by the fiends). Yes, extradimensional pocket with time stop is one of the most obvious solutions. The simplest would be a magical experiment gone sour - something like a prototype warp marble interfering with the nearby safehold, freezing the whole villa with all the staff inside and outside. Also, this way you won't need to decide why wish suddenly dropped. And give them as much or as little of equipment as you want.

But then, Vyshaan antics is one of themes elves really, really don't like to talk or even think about. The only thing that may be marginally worse than drow - though still better than fey-ri. And yes, Vyshaan popsicles would be elves on top of their power and hubris, not even capable of thinking in terms "whether Retreat is the best option or second best".
I don't see non-overpowering PCs taking out these. I also don't see this ending in any way but mass hysteria and huge bloodbath, even without dropping armies on top. Not that it was always bad for a game, of course.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  13:58:17  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love this scenario. I think its a good idea for a novel maybe.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2012 :  19:02:13  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I have a Vyshaan in my 'Next Gen' project, because I had the same idea about a Vyshaan returning... and never knew about this one.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000